Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Keith Gill Contract Extension

Discussion about anything related to the Sun Belt Conference
Appstate88
School: Appalachian State

Re: Keith Gill Contract Extension

Unread post by Appstate88 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:26 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:25 pm
Appstate88 wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:21 pm
I'd like to see him negotiate with ESPN so that no Sun Belt Team has to play more that (1) game out of the (12) games on a weekday night. All of the teams remaining (11) Football Games and Conference Championship Game would be played on Saturdays. It guarantees all teams will have at least (5) Saturday GameDays!

Also would like see the Sun Belt Conference negotiate with ESPN to see more sports especially in-conference Basketball and Baseball/Softball games on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and ESPN3 not just ESPN+.
I bet that could happen and ESPN will come back and offer a lot less money to the SB schools. Maybe there could be a provision where schools that do not want weekday games receive less money than the schools that are playing Tue-Fri.

ESPN needs live events for their schedule and they need to fill the weeknights, and there are only so many slots on Saturday for games. Between ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU we could have 12 games on a Saturday. Prig5 are getting most of those sadly, so maybe a G5 game of the week, and maybe SB gets one game every other week. Otherwise we are on ESPN+.

I would be OK with that but it would mean lot less TV. I stopped my ESPN a few years ago as I was tired of giving them $5 a month which basically was going to the Prig5 schools. I do take ESPN+ or plan to renew for the upcoming season.
I’m suggesting something like this (as an example) spread across all G5 conferences. This would fill the Tuesday through Thursday night ESPN and ESPN2 schedules.

MAC and MWC Tuesday
SBC and CUSA Wednesday
AAC and P5 Thursday
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:49 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:26 pm
Appstate88 wrote:
I'd like to see him negotiate with ESPN so that no Sun Belt Team has to play more that (1) game out of the (12) games on a weekday night. All of the teams remaining (11) Football Games and Conference Championship Game would be played on Saturdays. It guarantees all teams will have at least (5) Saturday GameDays!

Also would like see the Sun Belt Conference negotiate with ESPN to see more sports especially in-conference Basketball and Baseball/Softball games on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and ESPN3 not just ESPN+.
I bet that could happen and ESPN will come back and offer a lot less money to the SB schools. Maybe there could be a provision where schools that do not want weekday games receive less money than the schools that are playing Tue-Fri.

ESPN needs live events for their schedule and they need to fill the weeknights, and there are only so many slots on Saturday for games. Between ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU we could have 12 games on a Saturday. Prig5 are getting most of those sadly, so maybe a G5 game of the week, and maybe SB gets one game every other week. Otherwise we are on ESPN+.

I would be OK with that but it would mean lot less TV. I stopped my ESPN a few years ago as I was tired of giving them $5 a month which basically was going to the Prig5 schools. I do take ESPN+ or plan to renew for the upcoming season.
I’m suggesting something like this (as an example) spread across all G5 conferences. This would fill the Tuesday through Thursday night ESPN and ESPN2 schedules.

MAC and MWC Tuesday
SBC and CUSA Wednesday
AAC and P5 Thursday
That is not unreasonable thought I doubt MWC would take Tuesday. We know the MAC will take it. Maybe

Tue-MAC and SBC
Wed-AAC and MWC
Thu-Prig5

And maybe every third week the 4 Great5 conferences flip. It would be neat to give Wed to the better two conferences based on some ranking but I doubt the AAC or MWC would go for that without some arm-twisting. If MAC and SBC ratings were good enough that could happen but that is what it would take and I doubt we are there-yet.

And one on the 4 Great5 conferences get a Saturday game guaranteed on ESPN2 and ESPNU so two games of the twelve go to the Great5 and the Prig5 can each have two games per conference on average.

Is not CUSA more aligned with CBS Sports and some none Disney/ESPN channels or did that change very recently.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

citroknight
School: UCF

Unread post by citroknight » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:41 pm

Appstate88 wrote:

You can probably realistically ask and get maybe a couple of basketball games on linear ESPN channels. Baseball and softball regular season games, low possibility. That's ESPN+ type content. I'm also wondering if ESPN3 is long for this world. When the AAC signed it's new media deal, the percentage of games we have headed to ESPN+ for football and basketball seem to line up with the numbers we've had in the past on ESPN3 so they may be shifting anything not on linear TV onto their ESPN+ offerings.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:17 am

Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:49 pm
Appstate88 wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:26 pm
Appstate88 wrote:

MAC and MWC Tuesday
SBC and CUSA Wednesday
AAC and P5 Thursday
That is not unreasonable thought I doubt MWC would take Tuesday. We know the MAC will take it. Maybe

Tue-MAC and SBC
Wed-AAC and MWC
Thu-Prig5

And maybe every third week the 4 Great5 conferences flip. It would be neat to give Wed to the better two conferences based on some ranking but I doubt the AAC or MWC would go for that without some arm-twisting. If MAC and SBC ratings were good enough that could happen but that is what it would take and I doubt we are there-yet.

And one on the 4 Great5 conferences get a Saturday game guaranteed on ESPN2 and ESPNU so two games of the twelve go to the Great5 and the Prig5 can each have two games per conference on average.

Is not CUSA more aligned with CBS Sports and some none Disney/ESPN channels or did that change very recently.
They should base it on bowl wins prior year. Conference with the most bowl wins gets Thursday, next 2, Wednesday and the last place on Tuesday.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:38 am

That would be easy to do and might allow the Great 5 conferences to split up the few bowls between Prig 5 and Great 5 conferences so every conference has an equal chance to play hard and soft bowl games. Also match 1-1 and 2-2 for conference match-ups where the bowls are between Great 5 schools.

The other option would be best record in head to head OOC games.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:55 am

Meanwhile Keith Gill is keeping his head low, doing nothing, and getting contract extensions.

ASU3432Mi

Unread post by ASU3432Mi » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:22 am

Has he ever been to our campus?

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:30 am

ASU3432Mi wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:22 am
Does he need to be here to do his job? And even more so, if he did visit would you expect a big press release so everyone knew.

I do think visits are good but they are not a requirement and the travel expense can go to other areas.I imagine most of the expenses for the conference office are salary. I doubt there is a lot of room to cut expenses, outside of salary and that never goes over well, even for people making very good salaries, and might deserve a salary cut. Nor a lot of money left over for travel, just to travel for the sake of travel.

appbanker

Unread post by appbanker » Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:56 am

ASU3432Mi wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:22 am
I would hope he visited when we hosted the SBC title games in football and other conference championships

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:35 pm

I could be wrong but I doubt we negotiate with ESPN. My best guess is that we are told what we get.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sun Belt Discussion”