Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Sunbelt Addition Dark Horse

Discussion about anything related to the Sun Belt Conference
appbanker
School: Appalachian State

Sunbelt Addition Dark Horse

Unread post by appbanker » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:57 am

Here's an idea for a dark horse in the SB additions. Coastal Carolina. Growing university that has a billionaire for a coach, who could pony up some pocket change to help finance the move and increase his standing as a legit coach. They are improving in football, have a pretty decent baseball team and have had some minor success in basketball (and we both have a former Bball coach , he who shall not be named, that we hate).

Gonzo

Re: Sunbelt Addition Dark Horse

Unread post by Gonzo » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:22 am

This thread's existence, along with the growing steam the "liberty to Sun Belt" movement, is utterly depressing.

Could we really be on the verge of joining a Big South school in a conference?

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:51 am

Coastal should be leaps and bounds higher on the list than Liberty. Closer travel for the majority of the Belt. Public institution like every sun belt school and they have actually had some success athletically. Coastal>>>>>>>>>>>Liberty
Appalachian State, Better than your school since 1899!!!!

GlassOnion

Unread post by GlassOnion » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:04 am

They also have half the enrollment as SB schools, poor facilities, indifferent academics, and limited financial resources.

MSU is good news, and hopefully JMU. I dont think I can take a decades worth of Liberty threads.

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:10 am

How has Jacksonville State gotten lost in all of this? Stadium seats 24k.......public university in the sun belts backyard.
Appalachian State, Better than your school since 1899!!!!

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:18 am

ASUPATCH wrote:How has Jacksonville State gotten lost in all of this? Stadium seats 24k.......public university in the sun belts backyard.
Troy and USA will block another Alabama school.

appbanker

Unread post by appbanker » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:05 pm

GlassOnion wrote:They also have half the enrollment as SB schools, poor facilities, indifferent academics, and limited financial resources.

MSU is good news, and hopefully JMU. I dont think I can take a decades worth of Liberty threads.
There football and baseball facilities are pretty nice, not sure about basketball. The football stadium is an the small side right now but was designed to easily expand to 20,000.

Side note to all : This was a semi tongue in cheek suggestion to help get away from all the Liberty talk and because many CCU fans believe the coach was only hired because of the $ associated with him. Coastal has grown a lot in recent years and we do have some history with them on the football field.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:05 pm

Perhaps. But, given the choice they may prefer Jax State to Liberty.

ASU-FTW

Unread post by ASU-FTW » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:08 pm

This is a good troll thread. At least I hope it was purely a troll thread. Coastal can't even come close to competing with SoCon schools in football (the sport that actually matters) currently. I believe their attendance rivals that of the Furmans and Elons too.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:31 pm

While we are at it, why don't we just suggest Florida A&M (already tried to move up once) or South Carolina State (don't they need a bulldog school in the SBC)?

Honestly, the blocking of all Southland conference schools by some of the SBC members is seriously hurting this process. Maybe they will back off of that position when they realize the result is likely to be Liberty.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:35 pm

I was just down on the CCU campus a couple of weeks ago, and the school has come a long way, but that's only because it's had a long way to come. The baseball facility is very nice, and the football stadium is good for Southern Conference standards, but it's nowhere near what would be needed for the Sun Belt. It could double in size and still not be to that level. The basketball facility is new, and it's good enough for the Big South (especially since they hosted the tournaments there), and I guess it's good enough for the SoCon, but I was unimpressed. There were fewer than 20 rows of seats along the sidelines, and around 30 rows of seats along the baselines. Very oddly shaped, which is puzzling, given they have unlimited space and flat ground.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

ASUGoose

Unread post by ASUGoose » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:00 pm

No way CCU gets an invite nor would they be anywhere near FBS ready any time soon. I do think they are a no-brainer for the SoCon and maybe in about 10 years they could be ready for the FBS if they can win some championships..

My pecking order of the new addition to the SB would be as follows:

1. James Madison (seems very unlikely based on what all has been published)
2. Sam Houston State (I don't mind another TX school but not sure which west school would move to the East)
3. Richmond (I know they have no interest currently but they are solid in bball and football)
4. Delaware (No sure if it is a regional fit but who knows)
5. Liberty (last resort if the SB really wants a championship game in 2014, if not just wait it out another year and see where the chips fall)

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:54 am

Remember, these FBS conferences really don't seem to care about a school's won loss record. They're concerned with media coverage, marketing, etc. Otherwise we would have been a shoe-in for the CUSA.
a.k.a JC0429

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:52 pm

Richmond has ZERO interest in FBS, as demonstrated by their tiny new facility. Delaware's AD is from Boston College and he has a huge attitude toward the SBC. His comments indicate that he wouldn't even consider an offer (said that App/GSU are moving up in name only).

JMU would be great! I would be ok with Sam Houston or Jacksonville State as well.

I just don't think Liberty has earned it. They can throw huge amounts of money around, but I don't see them being successful.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:54 pm

ASUPATCH wrote:How has Jacksonville State gotten lost in all of this? Stadium seats 24k.......public university in the sun belts backyard.
The other Alabama and former SLC teams seem to be torpedoing Jacksonville State. Seems silly to me. I think it's a case of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

AppAttack

Unread post by AppAttack » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:03 pm

I'd like to get Montana for football only.

GoApps70

Unread post by GoApps70 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:35 am

Hard to believe that some on this thread would even propose Liberty or Coastal and be serious.

JMU fine.
Montana fine, but will not happen probably.
You need a school with good winning football that also has enough money to get
going in FBS and maintain their program.
==========================================================================
Give 'em Hell Apps !.....Sun Belt future champs !........Enlarge Kidd Brewer ASAP!
==========================================================================

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:00 am

and you need a school who is willing to take a chance on the Sun Belt. The ship has a hole in it.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:06 am

I'd think that the SBC has a ranked list of desirable programs, because who knows how deep they'll have to go. CUSA's recent talk has likely squelched any desire for JMU to move quickly to the SBC. I'd like to see the SBC move quickly to add Missouri State and make pitches to the best FCS options available now, rather than a knee jerk reaction when CUSA comes shopping again. I'd rather go from 16 to 14 rather than going back below 12 and adding the likes of Liberty in desperation.
Attachments
copy.jpg

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:06 am

CUSA is playing chess, they have no desire to add JMU (all signs point to a western add), but this news will dangle a carrot and delay their decision.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sun Belt Discussion”