Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

ACC Strengthens their Position

Discussion about anything related to the Sun Belt Conference
eggers76
School: Appalachian State

ACC Strengthens their Position

Unread post by eggers76 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:23 pm

This may make the ACC situation more stable for at least the near future and maybe stabilze some of the other conference moves that have been talked about.

But then again maybe some of the other leagues will go flakey and keep things in perpetual motion.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... presidents

canes_mj

Re: ACC Strengthens their Position

Unread post by canes_mj » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:31 pm

That's really big for the ACC. They looked on shaky ground there for a while. Seems this kind of makes it a moot point how the Maryland case turns out as far as future movement. Of course, I'm no lawyer, and I'm sure someone could (will?) try to find a loophole. I'm glad about this though.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:18 pm

Geez, it would be easier to get out of the mafia!
Let me play Devil's Advocate-How would you feel if this trend carried over to the Group of Five and eventually married us to the Sunbelt until, say 2028 or beyond? I understand the ACC TV market dwarfs the SBC, but might we find ourselves in a similar situation?
:|

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:45 pm

eggers76 wrote:This may make the ACC situation more stable for at least the near future and maybe stabilze some of the other conference moves that have been talked about.

But then again maybe some of the other leagues will go flakey and keep things in perpetual motion.

Explain what this means as far as money to schools as if you are explaining to an idiot, or me, either way.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

eggers76

Unread post by eggers76 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:12 pm

It looks like to me that each school that signed this agreement have given their media rights to the ACC for the duration of this contract, no matter if the school leaves the conference for another destination. I am not a legal expert by any means so I may have not interpreted this correctly.

asutrnr81

Unread post by asutrnr81 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:16 pm

MAD Doctor wrote:Geez, it would be easier to get out of the mafia!
Let me play Devil's Advocate-How would you feel if this trend carried over to the Group of Five and eventually married us to the Sunbelt until, say 2028 or beyond? I understand the ACC TV market dwarfs the SBC, but might we find ourselves in a similar situation?
17 mil is 17 mil.
Go APPS!

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:29 pm

eggers76 wrote:It looks like to me that each school that signed this agreement have given their media rights to the ACC for the duration of this contract, no matter if the school leaves the conference for another destination. I am not a legal expert by any means so I may have not interpreted this correctly.
So if a school leaves the ACC, the ACC still gets the $ that will in turn be given out at the end of the fiscal year or whenever to each school. I understand handing over media rights (I think), I was just not sure how the money gets moved around.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:55 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
eggers76 wrote:It looks like to me that each school that signed this agreement have given their media rights to the ACC for the duration of this contract, no matter if the school leaves the conference for another destination. I am not a legal expert by any means so I may have not interpreted this correctly.
So if a school leaves the ACC, the ACC still gets the $ that will in turn be given out at the end of the fiscal year or whenever to each school. I understand handing over media rights (I think), I was just not sure how the money gets moved around.
The way it was explained on the radio is exactly that; each school has signed over its media rights to the ACC for the duration of the contract. So, if any school leaves, the ACC retains its media rights. Essentially, it means any school that leaves will not have any home games on TV for the duration of the contract. Every major conference now has this agreement with its members except for the SEC.

Seems to me this was a preemptive strike by the ACC to offset the effects should Maryland get out for substantially less than the $50 million exit fee.

MountainMan2020

Unread post by MountainMan2020 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:33 pm

eggers76 wrote:This may make the ACC situation more stable for at least the near future and maybe stabilze some of the other conference moves that have been talked about.

Question is why some of those teams rumored to be in the mix for the big 10 (and bigger $$) ratified this agreement.

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:33 am

I think it would be difficult to get the schools in the G5 conferences to bite. The grant of rights by the big boys do not limit schools that may join, only schools that may leave. The AAC, and maybe the MAC, are the only conferences that I could see maybe doing a grant of rights.
Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:11 am

ASUMountaineer wrote:
I think it would be difficult to get the schools in the G5 conferences to bite. The grant of rights by the big boys do not limit schools that may join, only schools that may leave. The AAC, and maybe the MAC, are the only conferences that I could see maybe doing a grant of rights.
No other conference will sign a grant of rights, at least nowhere near as strong or as long as what was signed by the ACC. The SEC doesn't need to sign one, because it's the SEC, and every school in a G5 league would jump at the chance to continue upward movement. However, this, along with the $12 million/conference TV payout cap for G5 leagues, has allowed the marketplace to slow the pace of expansion. App got in just in time, and there is one more space on the train. Will JMU be smart enough to hop aboard? I suspect we'll find out in May after the CAA Tournaments.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

appsfan

Unread post by appsfan » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:18 pm

The ACC joins the Pac-12, B1G, and Big XII as conferences with a GOR agreement. This will likely slow down any future movements to a crawl and makes the Sun Belt's open spot (to get back to 12 for football) more valuable...

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:25 am

appsfan wrote:The ACC joins the Pac-12, B1G, and Big XII as conferences with a GOR agreement. This will likely slow down any future movements to a crawl and makes the Sun Belt's open spot (to get back to 12 for football) more valuable...
Yeah, if JMU continues to say no, they had better be darn sure that CUSA wants to go to 16.
Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sun Belt Discussion”