Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

JMU's CUSA hope

Discussion about anything related to the Sun Belt Conference
hapapp
School: Appalachian State

JMU's CUSA hope

Unread post by hapapp » Fri May 10, 2013 5:13 pm

I think this is what JMU is hanging their hat on.

CUSA commish likes 16-team league, but won't guarantee it

http://www.thenewsstar.com/article/2013 ... ck_check=1

Saint3333

Re: JMU's CUSA hope

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri May 10, 2013 5:43 pm

Doesn't make sense to expand under proposed BCS payment system so this likely will happen.

asumike83

Unread post by asumike83 » Fri May 10, 2013 5:59 pm

I have no idea what C-USA's plan is but just to stir the pot a bit, what would stop them from taking us instead of JMU? App already has a 'seat at the table' so to speak, so it wouldn't be adding another mouth to feed at the FBS level and unlike adding JMU, it would hurt the SBC.

Just to be clear, I do NOT think that will happen and I doubt our administration has even been in contact with C-USA. I'm just looking at it from their perspective: they want to strengthen their perception and also do whatever they can to weaken the other non-AQ conferences. I don't see how bringing in another CAA school does either.

If C-USA wants 16, I think they look to ULL, Ark St, TX State or Ohio. They could also make another "market" play and go for GA State or UMass. I'm sure ODU wants JMU for the same reason ECU wanted us but if they wouldn't make a move to appease a long-time member and the biggest draw of all their football programs, I don't see them doing it to satisfy a member who's yet to play a down in C-USA.

In a perfect world, the SBC adds JMU to get to 12 and then all this madness stops. I'm as big a college sports fan as there is and I'm starting to have trouble figuring out who the hell plays in what conference. Going to be eventful for the foreseeable future but I'm glad App has their foot in the door and will have a home when it's all said and done.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri May 10, 2013 6:01 pm

The argument is that by expanding to 16 and creating divisions that limit travel will more than make up for the loss in the revenue distribution. Of course, it doesn't mean JMU gets the nod. It could be two more SBC teams. Moreover, if they take in the better SBC schools they may enhance their chances of increasing their revenue stream. It is clear that the CUSA commissioner is an advocate of doing such.

I'm not convinced it will happen. However, that seems to be the JMU hope. :?

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri May 10, 2013 6:20 pm

hapapp wrote:The argument is that by expanding to 16 and creating divisions that limit travel will more than make up for the loss in the revenue distribution. Of course, it doesn't mean JMU gets the nod. It could be two more SBC teams. Moreover, if they take in the better SBC schools they may enhance their chances of increasing their revenue stream. It is clear that the CUSA commissioner is an advocate of doing such.

I'm not convinced it will happen. However, that seems to be the JMU hope. :?
Yeah, we used to be there. I guess it's a lesson we'll all have to learn.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Fri May 10, 2013 8:00 pm

I have wanted JMU to join us and Ga. Southern all along, but I have to say I have grown a little tired of them looking down their noses at the SBC. I scanned their MMB briefly, right after we accepted our invite, and you'd have thought we'd joined the Police Athletic League. They continue to assert that they are above the "Sun Belch" and that CUSA and the MAC are ready to fight it out over them. We'll see how it plays out for them. Personally, if I'm Benson, I'm asking Missouri State to the prom right now.

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Fri May 10, 2013 9:12 pm

JMU is taking one hell of a gamble, if they turn down the SBC, which seems to be the way they are going, and the invitation to USA doesn't materialize they could be in the CAA for a long, long time.

HeffnerIV

Unread post by HeffnerIV » Sat May 11, 2013 1:30 am

MAD Doctor wrote:I have wanted JMU to join us and Ga. Southern all along, but I have to say I have grown a little tired of them looking down their noses at the SBC. I scanned their MMB briefly, right after we accepted our invite, and you'd have thought we'd joined the Police Athletic League. They continue to assert that they are above the "Sun Belch" and that CUSA and the MAC are ready to fight it out over them. We'll see how it plays out for them. Personally, if I'm Benson, I'm asking Missouri State to the prom right now.
Sounds familiar

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sat May 11, 2013 1:33 pm

I think unlikely that CUSA expands before July 1. If it does, however, is it more likely that they add two more SBC teams as opposed to JMU? And if they do and take Ark St and ULL, what does that do to the Sun Belt? While it signals to JMU they better join us, where would we go from there?

Here is one ArkSt fan who lays out what CUSA may do and why. Though he seems to think it won't happen any time soon.

http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=63 ... pid9314682

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed May 15, 2013 7:35 pm

Doesn't sound like ODU favors expansion. See the interview with Wood Selig. Within the first couple of minutes he states he likes 14.

http://stationcaster.com/player_skinned ... 1&f=742791

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed May 15, 2013 9:48 pm

Wood understands what expansion means to the bottom line. Expansion means less money for everyone in CUSA. It makes so little fiscal sense that I'm pretty sure they will expand based upon the decisions made the last 18 months.

Unread post by 8993 » Wed May 15, 2013 10:13 pm

James Madison seems to have only one option when it comes to moving up a division... if they don't take it now, they'll likely be shooting themselves in the foot now and for many years to come.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sun Belt Discussion”