Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Sun Belt Meetings: No Invites

Discussion about anything related to the Sun Belt Conference
ASUMountaineer
School: Appalachian State

Re: Sun Belt Meetings: No Invites

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Thu May 23, 2013 12:15 pm

hapapp wrote:http://www.newsadvance.com/sports/liber ... f6878.html

This article from the Lynchburg paper sure makes it sound like the conference is waiting on either JMU or Mo State. Benson even mentions the need to find a basketball program that will improve the SBC product on the court.

I do feel for the LU fans who desperately want to find an FBS home. Though, I prefer the conference to wait to see what develops with JMU or Mo State. I have no doubt that a 12th team will be added at some point and I don't think we can completely rule out Liberty if neither JMU or Mo State step up to the plate. Let's hope they do.
If we really need a basketball team, why not just add NMSU as a full-time member and invite JMU for football only? Unless, Benson has it on good authority that in a year JMU will be ready to move everything.
Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu May 23, 2013 2:37 pm

8993 wrote:In my opinion, the Sun Belt is starting to look somewhat desperate for members. We're going to wait another year for JMU or MoState to possibly join. Neither school has given us a "Yes, we will join in a year," but both seem hesitant to join, especially JMU. On top of that, should we add another Alabama school with Jax State? There are other schools we should/could look into, maybe some even within our own state, or within Tennessee. I'm just not sure I see the final goal that the leadership is going for.
I don't think the decision to wait reflects desperation. Desperation would have been inviting a school that wasn't a fit, or wasn't ready. I have been strongly in favor of a 12 team conference so that we could have a championship game, but I think the conference showed considerable restraint in deciding to wait. Don't make the mistake of taking the message board representations as gospel. Nobody on MMB or CSNBBS for that matter is sitting in the talks with either JMU or MSU. We have no idea what exactly is being said.

Jacksonville State is in the discussion because they have openly expressed an interest in moving up. I honestly think that the number of teams in AL is a non issue. Obviously some of the other SBC folks disagree. There is ZERO chance of saturation happening. The reality is that the Sun Belt teams generally represent niche markets and they do not overlap significantly. Adding another niche within a state as strong as AL is hardly an issue. JSU is already recruiting, so we're really talking about the impact of 22 scholarships. I really don't see a real issue. The problem is ego and bragging rights.

I do think it's importatant for the SBC to pick up at least one more school, and I would advocate going to 14 if we can get legit members. That would keep us out of desperation mode if/when CUSA come raiding again. I would rather do it proactively and get the curve started than to wait until we HAVE to find someone. That would be when desperation would be an issue.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu May 23, 2013 3:01 pm

Saint3333 wrote:Adding anyone to get to 12 would have been bad, good move. Would have been a good move to hold off adding Idaho and NMSU though, 9 football would have been enough.
9 teams would have left the Sun Belt extremely exposed in the event of a further raid from CUSA. As I said previously, I think we're much better off having a cushion so that we don't HAVE to go into desperation mode. I wouldn't want to go the way of the WAC

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Thu May 23, 2013 3:21 pm

JMU waiting unti they collect 2.5 million makes alot of sense, though, if we can see this, Im sure the commissioner of the CAA has also put the pieces togeather. I wonder if he has had a very serious talk with JMU about this point. Regardless, this is a dangerous thing to do, if they are waiting for the report, the money, and conference USA to officially tell them "yes, or no", Missouri State might leap frog ahead of them, join the SBC, and JMU is stuck in CAA for a long, long, time.

MountaineerNation
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by MountaineerNation » Wed May 29, 2013 3:08 pm

Hey everyone, long time reader of the board but just have never posted before now. I've read on many lists that the 2 top candidates for Sun Belt expansion to 12 would be 1) JMU (makes sense) and 2) Missouri St. Anyone care to elaborate as to why exactly Missouri St would be a good add for the Sun Belt? Thanks!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sun Belt Discussion”