Week 7 Recap & Week 8 Preview

Discussion about anything related to the Sun Belt Conference
DomCrosetto
School: Appalachian State

Week 7 Recap & Week 8 Preview

Unread post by DomCrosetto » Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:22 am

Check out the latest episode from TJ & myself. Also available via any streaming audio service as well.

https://youtu.be/3AAHScyiATo?si=mMHWX1dFXOB1H5lv

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/w ... 0631849151

https://open.spotify.com/episode/426YTZ ... l5FaVvmv6g
Check out the Sun Belt Syndicate podcast! Streaming audio everywhere & live video once a week.

DomCrosetto

Re: Week 7 Recap & Week 8 Preview

Unread post by DomCrosetto » Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:33 am

Also running a poll on Twitter. Who do you think takes home the victory tonight??

Check out the Sun Belt Syndicate podcast! Streaming audio everywhere & live video once a week.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:00 am

If JMU loses they threw the game for the mob. JMU is hands down the most complete team in the SunBelt this year. The wheels have come off Marshall lately.
BLACK SATURDAY

DomCrosetto

Unread post by DomCrosetto » Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:22 am

Black Saturday wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:00 am
If JMU loses they threw the game for the mob. JMU is hands down the most complete team in the SunBelt this year. The wheels have come off Marshall lately.
I see zero wrong with your comment. My thoughts mirror yours. Not sure this game is even close but I'd love to be wrong, mainly for the fact another G5 game is on at the same time and I'd like to see the numbers significantly in the Sun Belt's favor.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:07 am

BLACK SATURDAY

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:15 am

The love affair many of our fans have with JMU is odd. Many act like they are this amazing team. Sure they curb stomped GSU but blowouts happen every year. They barely got by Troy, and only beat a bad UVA team by 1 and beat USA by 8. It isn't like these guys are scoring 50 on everyone. They may beat Marshall but I doubt they blow them out. My only hope is that both teams could lose but that's not possible.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:32 am

t4pizza wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:15 am
The love affair many of our fans have with JMU is odd. Many act like they are this amazing team. Sure they curb stomped GSU but blowouts happen every year. They barely got by Troy, and only beat a bad UVA team by 1 and beat USA by 8. It isn't like these guys are scoring 50 on everyone. They may beat Marshall but I doubt they blow them out. My only hope is that both teams could lose but that's not possible.
I agree with you. I respect them as a team. To accomplish what they have this early in the move up stage is impressive. Even with a transfer portal available and given the fact they were a solid FCS program, it's still impressive. They have some good talent and put things together nicely.

You are correct though, they aren't world beaters, and I agree some comments some have made on here as if JMU could join a P5 and compete weekly is straight up ridiculous. I watched the UVA game, and I can say with confidence, had the lightning delay not killed UVA momentum, JMU would have lost that game.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

DomCrosetto

Unread post by DomCrosetto » Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:06 pm

Did you read that letter Charlie Baker wrote back? What a joke that thing was.

I put my bias for JMU aside and just look at it like as if App was in that position (which we were, except not with that type of record) & I'd be pissed if that's the response we received. He mentions the move up now costing more, almost alluding to the fact that 'you're lucky we're not hitting you with a higher fee'. Why even mention that?

My disdain for JMU (or any purple team) remains high but I had the same frustrations when App & GSU were in the same boat and were both left out as well. NCAA has proven that rules can be amended any time they'd like (Tez Walker) but they don't seem to want to move here on this one, and there wasn't a single legitimate example of why they shouldn't be allowed to be eligible this season.

DomCrosetto

Unread post by DomCrosetto » Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:10 pm

t4pizza wrote:
I think it's a 'love to hate' type of infatuation. I also think that it pisses most of us off that they've come in here and been so good so quickly. I thought they'd fall off some from last year since they lost a few key players but Cignetti is a quality coach that runs a good program. The money aspect may soon catch up with JMU however. The state is trying to come down hard on them. The rules under FBS are more difficult for them to adhere to then what they were used to at the FCS level. The state of VA is keeping a very close eye on them. They don't have the donor base necessary to find the 'easy out'.

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:41 pm

I freakin hate JMU and their entitled, arrogant attitudes. I didn't really want them in the Sunbelt to begin with.

However, I do respect what they have accomplished and the level at which they are playing. Any comments I made was based upon what I saw at last weeks game and they looked pretty good.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:07 pm

JMU has obviously figured out how to shut down run games. I don't think that aspect of defense can always be attributed to athletes. It's playing disciplined, staying in your lane and wrapping up the ball carrier. They have good players but appear to be well coached and well prepared. A one point win is still a win. I would take that over "out playing " an opponent but gagging in the clutch and losing.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:10 pm

DomCrosetto wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:06 pm

I put my bias for JMU aside and just look at it like as if App was in that position (which we were, except not with that type of record) & I'd be pissed if that's the response we received. He mentions the move up now costing more, almost alluding to the fact that 'you're lucky we're not hitting you with a higher fee'. Why even mention that?

My disdain for JMU (or any purple team) remains high but I had the same frustrations when App & GSU were in the same boat and were both left out as well. NCAA has proven that rules can be amended any time they'd like (Tez Walker) but they don't seem to want to move here on this one, and there wasn't a single legitimate example of why they shouldn't be allowed to be eligible this season.
Despite what all the media that speak on this issue insist, the rule does have some legit reasons behind it. My understanding is that the rule was put in place to prevent the type of improprieties that were rampant when Marshall moved up. There was no delay back then and Marshall took significant liberties leading up to their move and ultimately ended up being punished for those irregularities. The rule is designed to dissuade this type of behavior because what recruit wants to sit 2 years without a post season. Now, one could argue that with the portal and NIL the purpose behind many of the NCAA rules that were violated by Marshall is nullified. But, the rule is still in place and just like we knew what we were getting into, so did JMU. I don't feel bad for them one bit. I just hope we beat them so they just shut up about being the best in the belt.

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:14 pm

t4pizza wrote:
We lost by 6 to UNC in double overtime. We lost to Wyoming on a blocked field goal returned for a TD. We lost to Coastal on a last-second field goal. They are winning the games that they should be winning. If we were a complete team, as they are, we would be winning the close games. Instead, we have boring playcalling. We have times of bad clock management and use of timeouts. We have blocked field goals. We have fumbles on strong drives. We have the ball punched out from behind on a possible game-winning run. We botch 2-point conversations. We throw interceptions within 10 yards of our endzone. If we want to argue that we could be 6-0...well guess what... they are 6-0. I guess they are a complete team.

DomCrosetto

Unread post by DomCrosetto » Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:03 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:10 pm
DomCrosetto wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:06 pm

Despite what all the media that speak on this issue insist, the rule does have some legit reasons behind it. My understanding is that the rule was put in place to prevent the type of improprieties that were rampant when Marshall moved up. There was no delay back then and Marshall took significant liberties leading up to their move and ultimately ended up being punished for those irregularities. The rule is designed to dissuade this type of behavior because what recruit wants to sit 2 years without a post season. Now, one could argue that with the portal and NIL the purpose behind many of the NCAA rules that were violated by Marshall is nullified. But, the rule is still in place and just like we knew what we were getting into, so did JMU. I don't feel bad for them one bit. I just hope we beat them so they just shut up about being the best in the belt.
I think that's the biggest issue. As with a lot of issues, the NCAA continues to be behind the times. You're right that the NIL & transfer portal have made this old rule be mostly null & void, but, they've kept it on the books because...once again...they refuse to change. To me, it's not that we're arguing for JMU as much as just the rule in general being outdated and no longer necessary.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:38 pm

I'd like for JMU to lose everytime they step on the field. When i've seen them play South Al and GSU they've looked great in doing the right things, their front 7 are really good. Offensive is good too. I expect them to handle Marshall.
BLACK SATURDAY

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:47 pm

ASUTodd wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:14 pm
t4pizza wrote:
We lost by 6 to UNC in double overtime. We lost to Wyoming on a blocked field goal returned for a TD. We lost to Coastal on a last-second field goal. They are winning the games that they should be winning. If we were a complete team, as they are, we would be winning the close games. Instead, we have boring playcalling. We have times of bad clock management and use of timeouts. We have blocked field goals. We have fumbles on strong drives. We have the ball punched out from behind on a possible game-winning run. We botch 2-point conversations. We throw interceptions within 10 yards of our endzone. If we want to argue that we could be 6-0...well guess what... they are 6-0. I guess they are a complete team.
Sure, I get our issues. I just don't get why so many seem to think JMU is some juggernaut. Sure, they are a good team but I just don't see them as this goliath like some of our fans make them out to be. Again, they aren't destroying anyone except GSU.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:57 pm

If any of you watched this game, JMU is the best football team in the conference this year.
BLACK SATURDAY

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:00 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:57 pm
If any of you watched this game, JMU is the best football team in the conference this year.
Didn’t need to watch this one to see it, but yes, 1000% correct. It’s not a love affair, it’s just real recognizing real.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:02 pm

t4pizza wrote:
It’s embarrassing to see some of our own on their knees sobbing and kissing JMU’s feet.

I hope they run the table until they get to us and we play like we did in Chapel Hill and ruin their season.
YNWA

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:03 pm

They can be beat.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sun Belt Discussion”