Prospective faculty

moonshine
School: Appalachian State

Prospective faculty

Unread post by moonshine » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:55 am

Is this real? If so, who wrote it? They should be relieved from this position.

http://hubbard.appstate.edu/prospective-faculty

"We especially invite members of underrepresented populations to join our faculty. Because Boone is a small rural town, it is easy to find people like yourself if you are white, Christian, heterosexual, and married. But if you are not these, you are exactly whom we need—faculty who have the courage to live openly (in all senses of the word) as a minority."
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

CVAPP

Re: Prospective faculty

Unread post by CVAPP » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:27 am

Finding faculty and students that don't represent one of those groups is exactly what APP needs to do to accomplish their goal of becoming a more diversified university. I applaud them for laying their cards on the table.

appfan83

Unread post by appfan83 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:03 am

The university author is getting a little flowery with the language with this. why don't you tell us how you really feel. They could have briefly said that the university is a EOE employer.

MountainMan

Unread post by MountainMan » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:06 pm

ASU is much more than just an equal-opportunity employer. ASU does indeed seek, recruit, and even create special faculty positions for "diversity" hires among faculty members.

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:43 pm

CVAPP wrote:Finding faculty and students that don't represent one of those groups is exactly what APP needs to do to accomplish their goal of becoming a more diversified university. I applaud them for laying their cards on the table.
As long as they meet the standards for entry or are the best for the job. Diversity for diversity's sake rarely works.
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:08 pm

appgrouch wrote:
CVAPP wrote:Finding faculty and students that don't represent one of those groups is exactly what APP needs to do to accomplish their goal of becoming a more diversified university. I applaud them for laying their cards on the table.
As long as they meet the standards for entry or are the best for the job. Diversity for diversity's sake rarely works.

I am not interested in debating the merits or lack thereof in the university's diversity initiative. I just know it has been in place for a long time and "diversity" is a relative term. Therefore, defining what it means at ASU seems appropriate to me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”