Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Favorite High Country Restaurant

appbanker
School: Appalachian State

Re: Favorite High Country Restaurant

Unread post by appbanker » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:43 am

Buck's Biscuits

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:15 am

WataugaMan wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:24 am
Early 80s - The Carolina Pharmacy had the best BBQ Sandwiches (always had them put a thing slice of onion on mine) and Fries, ate there for lunch often. And, their doughnuts were homemade. They made them fresh every morning - chocolate, cinnamon, maple, etc., best doughnuts ever!!
That is a pretty severe violation.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:25 am

fjblair wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:15 am
WataugaMan wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:24 am
Early 80s - The Carolina Pharmacy had the best BBQ Sandwiches (always had them put a thing slice of onion on mine) and Fries, ate there for lunch often. And, their doughnuts were homemade. They made them fresh every morning - chocolate, cinnamon, maple, etc., best doughnuts ever!!
That is a pretty severe violation.
Coleslaw too, so there! :D

LB127

Unread post by LB127 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:31 am

College Budget: Town Tavern, Tucker's

Currently: AMB's Pizza Truck, Local's (brunch)

asu1978

Unread post by asu1978 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:22 pm

That's Amore,Mr. S would sing with the great subs.Yogi's in that hole in the wall,Speedy's Vega's would run you over.Sang SOUTHBOUND passenger train with friends from WASU to Doc & Merle at Carolina Pharmacy with the BEST donuts.Would buy $20 meal books for $6 from desperate freshmen & eat at the Gold Room.Death traps were Big E's & Ray's.The B.I. food you saw at lunch was still there at supper on the wheel of death.Peppers when it was on B.R. highway was good.Holly's in B.R. did serve subs,always drank beer and looked at Grandfather while sitting on those picnic tables.Granny's 24 hours at 3am and the A&P with that Big cowbell at the door.Munchies!!!Today,The Banner Elk cafe with the 3 menus at lunch is good!All those 70's memories.

PoplarHillApp

Unread post by PoplarHillApp » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:46 pm

Not my favorite, but the old "Waffle Express" deserves a mention.....

Chaz

Unread post by Chaz » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:16 pm

My favorite spot was Flipside for the deep dish pizzas. 2 for $5 individual pizzas on Wednesdays. I frequented a number of other places, but it appears they've all been mentioned.

kickass143

Unread post by kickass143 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:55 pm

I loved Yogi subs! The bread was toasted and I would order a tuna sub to my dorm room. My neighbors on 6th floor Cone during the '85 - '86 year did not appreciate the fishy smell but man that thing was good with some fresh Ruffle's chips! I enjoy several places now. TApp room has good fresh food and always a solid beer list. Best Cellar, Peddler, Town Tavern, Roca Bistro are always good. Breakfast or brunch - Melanie's, Sunrise Grill or a Crosby, Stills and Hash at Sunny Rock! Oh My!

MtnMan09

Unread post by MtnMan09 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:27 pm

In college 05-09.

The ACP at Los; Buffalo Chicken wrap and 1.50 bush lights at Klondike; The Johnnie Dee at McAdoos before it went south after the renovation; a greasy gyro at Parthenon; Boone Bagelry; Boone Saloon on Tuesdays; wings and murphys fries at Murphys; Boone Drug on King Street; the breakfast burritos and the stumpjumper wrap in Welburn; and Meadowbrook and Twigs in BR before we got liquor by the drink in Boone.

Now post gameday is usually Portofino or Lost Province.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:03 pm

Anyone remember Buck's Biscuits?

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:04 pm

appbanker wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:43 am
Buck's Biscuits
Oops! I posted my question before moving to page 5 and this was the next post! I saw Granny's Doughnuts and it brought BB to mind.

App_in_Maiden

Unread post by App_in_Maiden » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:33 pm

MtnMan09 wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:27 pm
In college 05-09.

The ACP at Los; Buffalo Chicken wrap and 1.50 bush lights at Klondike; The Johnnie Dee at McAdoos before it went south after the renovation; a greasy gyro at Parthenon; Boone Bagelry; Boone Saloon on Tuesdays; wings and murphys fries at Murphys; Boone Drug on King Street; the breakfast burritos and the stumpjumper wrap in Welburn; and Meadowbrook and Twigs in BR before we got liquor by the drink in Boone.

Now post gameday is usually Portofino or Lost Province.
Those breakfast burritos. Man they were so good but would sometimes make miss my business stat class....
“I don’t like talking to people I know, but strangers I have no problem with.” -Larry David

Neer86

Unread post by Neer86 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:23 pm

PoplarHillApp wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:46 pm
Not my favorite, but the old "Waffle Express" deserves a mention.....
I'm not sure if it was the Waffle Express, or The Waffle House. All I remember is it was near the Boone Mall, so it could have been both. Either way, you just brought back an obscure moment of a big laugh my senior year.

My roommate and I were both communications majors and we had several classes together. It was a rainy day, and one afternoon after a class we decided to go get breakfast at the waffle place. It wasn't very busy in the afternoons, and I don't know why we went there, but there was always this old guy behind the counter (we named him Joe) that had false teeth, and he would push em out and suck em back in all the time when he was mopping up bar sweat and stuff.

Anyway, we were eating, and there was this big sign on the wall that said, and I quote:

"No smoking mang."

We had both recently watched this Chevy Chase and Goldie Hawn movie called Seems Like Old Times. I loved Chevy Chase back then. Goldie's character was a lawyer who had a funny Puerto Rican maid who had an accent. There was a particular quote from her about going to the doctor to get "her feet-a scraped", or something like that.

So for a few days we would say things in her accent. We were always throwing in lines, accents, whatever that was in our world in that time, and while we may not have been funny to anyone else (we weren't) we thought we were hilarious. There was a long list of sayings that we can bring up to this day that elicit robust true laughs-out-loud.

We don't talk enough any more.

So we're sitting there in the Waffle House-Express, eating our omelettes or waffles with a good hot cup of joe (another inside joke) and I look up and see the sign that read "no smoking mang." instead of what should have been "no smoking, mngnt" or "mngt" or even "mgt."

Don't know why, but it just struck me as funny, and I pointed to the sign, and when Rob looked, I said, in a Puerto Rican accent "no smoking mang" with a hard g.

We weren't under the influence of anything other than coffee, eggs, and youthful idiocy, but we sure laughed like we were.

Joe just gave us a quick look, and went back to pushing his dentures in and out. I guess he saw that kind of thing quite often in a college town.

GastonApp09

Unread post by GastonApp09 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:16 pm

It's always cool to see how some of our best memories in life revolve around sharing a meal with friends! Thanks to everyone for sharing their favorite spots!
Body stuck in Gaston County...heart stuck in Boone! Go Apps!

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:49 pm

Love sitting next to the lost providence bronze brick oven, at the bar on a cold day. Pizza, beer, and a charcuterie tray, yup, i’m good

ASU3432Mi

Unread post by ASU3432Mi » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:48 pm

Gold Room was a real treat in mid 70's. I remember getting a slice of strawberry pie that turned out to be rhubarb pie. Shocked the taste buds.

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:50 pm

Chaz wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:16 pm
My favorite spot was Flipside for the deep dish pizzas. 2 for $5 individual pizzas on Wednesdays. I frequented a number of other places, but it appears they've all been mentioned.
Those pizzas were such a good deal. I still have a Flipside koozie floating around in the koozie drawer.

LB127 wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:31 am
College Budget: Town Tavern, Tucker's

Currently: AMB's Pizza Truck, Local's (brunch)
The Local?

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:19 pm

Go to then:
Black Cat, ODB- still are
Murphy’s for drinks and once drunk enough, food.
Melanies andSunrise grill for bfast.

Now black cat odb booneshine and Speckled trout in blowing rock.

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:46 pm

Murphy’s cheese fries were legendary. Tell me I’m not the only one who thinks that.

GO APPS!!

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:27 pm

asu1978 wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:22 pm
That's Amore,Mr. S would sing with the great subs.Yogi's in that hole in the wall,Speedy's Vega's would run you over.Sang SOUTHBOUND passenger train with friends from WASU to Doc & Merle at Carolina Pharmacy with the BEST donuts.Would buy $20 meal books for $6 from desperate freshmen & eat at the Gold Room.Death traps were Big E's & Ray's.The B.I. food you saw at lunch was still there at supper on the wheel of death.Peppers when it was on B.R. highway was good.Holly's in B.R. did serve subs,always drank beer and looked at Grandfather while sitting on those picnic tables.Granny's 24 hours at 3am and the A&P with that Big cowbell at the door.Munchies!!!Today,The Banner Elk cafe with the 3 menus at lunch is good!All those 70's memories.
You and I haunted the same places back in the day. Them was good eats and good places!
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”