Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Why we all should give to Yosef

AppGrad1

Re: Why we all should give to Yosef

Unread post by AppGrad1 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:18 pm

Look! I'm a better ASU fan than you are!

pop5app
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by pop5app » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:26 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 1:06 pm
Gonzo wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 12:52 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 11:43 am
Gonzo wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 11:23 am
“I donate in spirit-ism” is too common in our fan base. I’m not even going to pile on Cline for snitching on himself, but he’s not alone. People really think that buying single game tickets and watching App play on TV is “supporting” the Apps. It’s not. Well, it barely is. And going to games, bragging about the Apps to your friends who went to other places, etc sounds a lot more like being a free loader than being a supporter to me.

I’ve been trying to diagnosis this ever since I graduated and started to learn more about our situation. First, I do think we have the disadvantage of sending more grads to rural NC than some of our peers and it probably correlates to lower income. I used to think our surplus of teachers contributed to the same, but that’s offset by the high earning college of business and other NC schools produce a huge amount of educators as well.

Ultimately there’s a group of people whose job it is to solve this problem and they haven’t done it. We are an elite G5 program on the football field and an FCS program in the booster office. The lack of sophistication is painfully obvious when you interact with them even if you didn’t know how embarrassing our per-capita alumni investment was.
Appreciate the thought that you put into this. I agree that there is a problem with the organization in its current form. It is a head scratcher that such a loud and proud student section doesn’t translate to a modest annual increase in donors. It would be great to get a push to increase the number of $100 donors. That’s less than $10 a month. But how do you incentivize that over what is currently offered without it becoming fiscally counter productive? Accruing double points as a new alum is pretty sweet if you can look at it long term. I just question if that’s possible to do in today’s worlds of instant gratification.
I do think we’re on the brink of a Yosef Club bulge based on my generation coming of age. I hope the pandemic didn’t set that back too badly.

The post-60 good ole boy vibe that the YC exudes is not very approachable for people in their 20’s/30’s. I think that’s why so many are surprised when they learn just how little they have to donate to get perks.

They hired two younger guys recently and I’m excited about that direction. I’m not in the fundraising/marketing game so I don’t have any real solutions. Just calling it how I see it from my perspective.
Had to chuckle at "the post-60 good ole boy vibe." A buddy and I (both 40) went to the NOLA Bowl in 2018, and we noted how, other than the media and media relations contingent, it seemed like everyone at the App bar was 20+ years older than us.
. Yeah, my son says we all look the same! 🙃

BayouApp

Unread post by BayouApp » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:42 pm

It is understandable that older alumni may be in a better position to give in general; retaining and growing that segment is vital. But if we could get more donors/members at lower levels among those that have never given, it could make a difference. There are inexpensive promo items that could be given as inducements such as the popular rubber bracelets (black and gold Yosef?). Ongoing contests with $5 entry fees for prizes? Maybe even drawings with higher entry fees for big prizes (game package, bowl tickets/package, etc.). Sometimes restaurants and other retailers will donate gift cards and prizes in exchange for the promo benefits. I know some of this has been tried, maybe even more than I realize. It is easier said than done, but more overall participation regardless of the $ amount would expand the base. Even encouraging participation from people that may not have gone to ASU or college at all could be worth a go, especially if the live in Western NC (kind of tap into the regional pride and identity). I also think any company that has received significant contracts from ASU Athletics should be contributing as some level. Obviously those cannot be linked nor should they, but a friendly "Have you thought about joining Yosef" comment would not hurt after the process is complete would be okay.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:06 pm

Maybe if we could get all of App Nation to follow Yosef Club they might at some point be willing to provide some financial resources. Here’s an opportunity to spread the word about YC. If you have a Twitter handle why not follow and retweet?

Last edited by Appstate88 on Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:58 pm

Even at the lowest level ($50) a person can do so with monthly drafts. Young alumni of course are dealing with loans; I get it. If we can somehow convince them to start low, build as the years pass, before you know it we'll have a lot of mid-range donors after 10-12 years.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:26 pm

I’m sorry, if I have to convince anyone to give something, even that $5 a month helps support our Athletic programs then they didn’t get much of an education….and frankly unless you are destitute and living on food stamps you have no excuse. Don’t even go there.

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:41 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:26 pm
I’m sorry, if I have to convince anyone to give something, even that $5 a month helps support our Athletic programs then they didn’t get much of an education….and frankly unless you are destitute and living on food stamps you have no excuse. Don’t even go there.
Clarification: to whom is this reply directed?

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:52 am

scatman77 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:41 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
To all who enjoy App Athletics and think they don’t need to participate in financial support.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:12 am

Can someone tell me what a club level pass is ?I saw it on part of my Yosef package. Just wondering what exactly it is.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:55 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:52 am
scatman77 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:41 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
To all who enjoy App Athletics and think they don’t need to participate in financial support.
Easy-Peasy.
https://appstatesports.evenue.net/www/e ... -athletics
https://mountaineersathleticfund.com/as ... -Guide.pdf
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:03 pm

2,700 members sickens me....

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:21 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:03 pm
Anyone that purchases a single game ticket should receive with their ticket, a thank you note from DG, information on Mountaineer Athletic Fund, and be asked to take the next step by joining Yosef Club. Every car in the $25 lots should be given similar information when they pay to park. Signage to Join Yosef Club should be everywhere on the way to and in the stadium. A join Yosef Club table on East and West sides to sign up New Yosef Club members should be available when gates open. A manned join Yosef Club table should also be in the bookstore and cafeterias on game-days. Anyone that joined or increased their giving level, at the bookstore, cafeterias or in the stadium that day would be brought on the field at the end of the 3rd quarter, recognized and thanked with crowd applause.

A New Student Yosef Club member should get to raise an App State Flag as the team enters the field or on the first App State Chant.
Last edited by Appstate88 on Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:22 pm

One of the factors being discussed on the airwaves regarding a programs marketability to a conference given the Big12 and AAC , donor contributions and number of "boosters".

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:40 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Yes, extremely disappointing. I get that a lot of alumni give to the general fund or to a specific college/department. That's tremendous and I congratulate them for doing. In the same breath it's disheartening to see 2700 YC members when there are so many out there who do not give. What's even sadder is that some won't give because of some sort of alienation that occurred during their time on campus and they have a bitter taste towards the athletic department. The way I see it, it's 2021 and time to get over the bitterness and anger for what happened in the past and move on. Join the Yosef Club and help the current athletes. I was involved in athletics as a student athletic trainer aide and I loved the old Yosef, the black and the old gold; I still do. Now it's time to move on. The current times are using the yellow gold and the block "A." So be it and I'll support it as long as I can. I can only hope that the thousands of former athletes, coaches, managers, student athletic trainers, and others associated at one time with athletics will see fit to join and give. No amount is too small or unimportant.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:49 pm

I’d put 2,700 on the Jumbotron with some info and at halftime leave it up for the entire interval.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:55 pm

We are trying. Come on and support the home team.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:01 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:06 pm
Maybe if we could get all of App Nation to follow Yosef Club they might at some point be willing to provide some financial resources. Here’s an opportunity to spread the word about YC. If you have a Twitter handle why not follow and retweet?

My daughter, Young Alumni, Yosef Club Member, and season ticket holder won a $25 gift card with this Twitter contest.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:25 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:01 pm
Appstate88 wrote:

My daughter, Young Alumni, Yosef Club Member, and season ticket holder won a $25 gift card with this Twitter contest.
Daughter who moves in as a freshman Monday joined and purchased her App-ECU ticket she’s ready!

BayouApp

Unread post by BayouApp » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:46 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:21 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
Anyone that purchases a single game ticket should receive with their ticket, a thank you note from DG, information on Mountaineer Athletic Fund, and be asked to take the next step by joining Yosef Club. Every car in the $25 lots should be given similar information when they pay to park. Signage to Join Yosef Club should be everywhere on the way to and in the stadium. A join Yosef Club table on East and West sides to sign up New Yosef Club members should be available when gates open. A manned join Yosef Club table should also be in the bookstore and cafeterias on game-days. Anyone that joined or increased their giving level, at the bookstore, cafeterias or in the stadium that day would be brought on the field at the end of the 3rd quarter, recognized and thanked with crowd applause.

A New Student Yosef Club member should get to raise an App State Flag as the team enters the field or on the first App State Chant.
Great suggestions.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:55 pm

mountaineerman wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:25 pm
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:01 pm
Appstate88 wrote:

Daughter who moves in as a freshman Monday joined and purchased her App-ECU ticket she’s ready!
Have her join the Student Yosef Club as well. Not sure of the price now but my daughter was there right at the start of FBS and it was $25 a year I think and a small discount if you paid for all 4 years at once. Got a t-shirt each year I think and early entry to games as well. Not a bad deal.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”