Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Why we all should give to Yosef

NewApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Why we all should give to Yosef

Unread post by NewApp » Sun May 23, 2021 5:17 pm

appdaze wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 3:09 pm
NewApp wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 12:48 pm
appdaze wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 12:20 pm
NewApp wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 7:46 pm
Except in T&F and Men's soccer. When the facilities are completed and in full use by the respective teams, I will make a donation of what I can afford. In the mean time GOAPPS!
Refusing to donate until they create their own money out of thin air to create top notch facilities? Spoken like a true WCU grad.
Nope, daze. I am NOT refusing. It's just that I have a limited amount of money I can set aside for donations.
However, I have either been in attendance for every football game, or watched on TV, or listed to on the radio for the past 15 and 1/2 years. Can you say that?

I donate in spirit no matter W or L.

Now, If I had your bank account evidently, I would do both equally.
Wow, overly defensive today I see. You specifically said in the quoted post from you that you would not donate until the facilities are completed and in full use by the respective teams. That is literally saying that you refuse to donate even 1 dollar until the facilities are complete. So yes, you are refusing.

As far as the rest goes....ummm....congrats on having time to be at, watch, or listen to every game? I didn't realize this was about comparing sizes..........of bank accounts. If you can afford to go to the games then I think you should make it a goal to skip the concessions line for one game and instead donate that $10 to the YC. If we are going to sit around and play accountant then lets also be realistic about something else. If you are an alum and you can afford to go to the games at all then you more than likely make enough money that you could also give $20 a year and it not hurt you financially.

Oh well, I'll chalk all this up to your Cantamount logic.
No, I donate a small embarrassing amount every year but will scrape up enough when they are done to make a large donation to ever which project I choose. And no, not overly defensive, just defending my posts.

Wrong about my finances, fella.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun May 23, 2021 6:01 pm

Daze said: Oh well, I'll chalk all this up to your Cantamount logic.

And I'll chalk your replies up to your sometimes, not all times, being a crude, spiteful, jerk. But you're still an App so I love you bro'
Google SUX

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Mon May 24, 2021 9:37 am

Guys (and gals)........this is getting way too personal. I started this thread to show how our teams are not only getting it done on the fields and courts but also in the classroom; something the state's flagship university has at times forgotten. All the sniping and back-biting with each other is not the answer. As others have mentioned and I too have in the past: giving to Yosef is not a contest to see who can give the largest amount. It is an effort to get as many alumni as possible to give something. $10 x 12 months x 65,000 = $7.8 million. 65,000 is roughly half of our alumni base.

If you're giving $10 a year, $10 a month, $10 a week..doesn't matter. Yosef appreciates everyone's donations. Just don't be so quick to judge or criticize each other over this. We end up sounding like tar holes.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon May 24, 2021 10:50 am

scatman77 wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 9:37 am
Guys (and gals)........this is getting way too personal. I started this thread to show how our teams are not only getting it done on the fields and courts but also in the classroom; something the state's flagship university has at times forgotten. All the sniping and back-biting with each other is not the answer. As others have mentioned and I too have in the past: giving to Yosef is not a contest to see who can give the largest amount. It is an effort to get as many alumni as possible to give something. $10 x 12 months x 65,000 = $7.8 million. 65,000 is roughly half of our alumni base.

If you're giving $10 a year, $10 a month, $10 a week..doesn't matter. Yosef appreciates everyone's donations. Just don't be so quick to judge or criticize each other over this. We end up sounding like tar holes.
I’m not the one who STARTS the cynical crappola, but I am always going to defend myself no matter the snide cynical out of context remarks.
Other than that, I totally agree with every line of your post, Mike.
Google SUX

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon May 24, 2021 11:23 am

“I donate in spirit-ism” is too common in our fan base. I’m not even going to pile on Cline for snitching on himself, but he’s not alone. People really think that buying single game tickets and watching App play on TV is “supporting” the Apps. It’s not. Well, it barely is. And going to games, bragging about the Apps to your friends who went to other places, etc sounds a lot more like being a free loader than being a supporter to me.

I’ve been trying to diagnosis this ever since I graduated and started to learn more about our situation. First, I do think we have the disadvantage of sending more grads to rural NC than some of our peers and it probably correlates to lower income. I used to think our surplus of teachers contributed to the same, but that’s offset by the high earning college of business and other NC schools produce a huge amount of educators as well.

Ultimately there’s a group of people whose job it is to solve this problem and they haven’t done it. We are an elite G5 program on the football field and an FCS program in the booster office. The lack of sophistication is painfully obvious when you interact with them even if you didn’t know how embarrassing our per-capita alumni investment was.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon May 24, 2021 11:43 am

Gonzo wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 11:23 am
“I donate in spirit-ism” is too common in our fan base. I’m not even going to pile on Cline for snitching on himself, but he’s not alone. People really think that buying single game tickets and watching App play on TV is “supporting” the Apps. It’s not. Well, it barely is. And going to games, bragging about the Apps to your friends who went to other places, etc sounds a lot more like being a free loader than being a supporter to me.

I’ve been trying to diagnosis this ever since I graduated and started to learn more about our situation. First, I do think we have the disadvantage of sending more grads to rural NC than some of our peers and it probably correlates to lower income. I used to think our surplus of teachers contributed to the same, but that’s offset by the high earning college of business and other NC schools produce a huge amount of educators as well.

Ultimately there’s a group of people whose job it is to solve this problem and they haven’t done it. We are an elite G5 program on the football field and an FCS program in the booster office. The lack of sophistication is painfully obvious when you interact with them even if you didn’t know how embarrassing our per-capita alumni investment was.
Appreciate the thought that you put into this. I agree that there is a problem with the organization in its current form. It is a head scratcher that such a loud and proud student section doesn’t translate to a modest annual increase in donors. It would be great to get a push to increase the number of $100 donors. That’s less than $10 a month. But how do you incentivize that over what is currently offered without it becoming fiscally counter productive? Accruing double points as a new alum is pretty sweet if you can look at it long term. I just question if that’s possible to do in today’s worlds of instant gratification.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Mon May 24, 2021 12:47 pm

Gonzo wrote:

We need a thumbs up x10 button. "There is a group of people whose job it is to solve this problem and they haven't done it." Same effort getting same results. Figure it out Yosef.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon May 24, 2021 12:52 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 11:43 am
Gonzo wrote:

Appreciate the thought that you put into this. I agree that there is a problem with the organization in its current form. It is a head scratcher that such a loud and proud student section doesn’t translate to a modest annual increase in donors. It would be great to get a push to increase the number of $100 donors. That’s less than $10 a month. But how do you incentivize that over what is currently offered without it becoming fiscally counter productive? Accruing double points as a new alum is pretty sweet if you can look at it long term. I just question if that’s possible to do in today’s worlds of instant gratification.
I do think we’re on the brink of a Yosef Club bulge based on my generation coming of age. I hope the pandemic didn’t set that back too badly.

The post-60 good ole boy vibe that the YC exudes is not very approachable for people in their 20’s/30’s. I think that’s why so many are surprised when they learn just how little they have to donate to get perks.

There are a lot of very big money donors who adore that same culture, so I don’t want to throw the baby out with the bath water. Those folks won’t live forever though. We have to tApp into new money.

They hired two younger guys recently and I’m excited about that direction. I’m not in the fundraising/marketing game so I don’t have any real solutions. Just calling it how I see it from my perspective.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon May 24, 2021 1:06 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 12:52 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Gonzo wrote:

I do think we’re on the brink of a Yosef Club bulge based on my generation coming of age. I hope the pandemic didn’t set that back too badly.

The post-60 good ole boy vibe that the YC exudes is not very approachable for people in their 20’s/30’s. I think that’s why so many are surprised when they learn just how little they have to donate to get perks.

They hired two younger guys recently and I’m excited about that direction. I’m not in the fundraising/marketing game so I don’t have any real solutions. Just calling it how I see it from my perspective.
Had to chuckle at "the post-60 good ole boy vibe." A buddy and I (both 40) went to the NOLA Bowl in 2018, and we noted how, other than the media and media relations contingent, it seemed like everyone at the App bar was 20+ years older than us.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon May 24, 2021 1:14 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 12:52 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Gonzo wrote:

There are a lot of very big money donors who adore that same culture, so I don’t want to throw the baby out with the bath water. Those folks won’t live forever though. We have to tApp into new money.

I hope so. We should have people focused on new donors. I would rather have 1000 donors give $100 than 10 donors giving $10,000. We need both. But one group represents potential. It will be interesting to see how the field level patio influences getting the NEZ to capacity.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Mon May 24, 2021 3:32 pm

I'd offer a solution to outsource the entire Yosef and ticketing operations. Get it off the mountain and not have employees who otherwise benefit from cozy relationships. They don't need the State Employee perks either. Charlotte is an easy idea for it's home but Winston or Greensboro, even Hickory would work as well. You'd need a couple on-site ambassadors but have them reporting to someone else whose contract depends on performance.

And dang guys, go easy on us boomers.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Mon May 24, 2021 3:43 pm

Weekend before last, I went to Cullowhee for my little sister's graduation ceremony, which was opened to the public the day before.

The WCU alumni association president spoke near the end, advising student to give back to the school and visit when possible.

The near-universal reaction from the grads to this plea was scorn and profanity. The reasoning was that many grads had student loans they were about to start paying off, went through over a year of a global pandemic, dealt with predatory off-campus housing providers and in some cases, guaranteed postgraduate employment being rescinded, so why the hell is this guy telling them to give more money?

Imagine someone telling those same grads that their non donations are hurting student athletes? That's not going to work.

I think phone banking to non donors would work a lot more than people realize. It still works in politics to an extent. Hunting down grads and getting in touch with a customer service charm can have positive yields, IMO. Use the arguments of lessening the burden on future student fees as they contribute 60% of athletics funds. Tell then they'll get first crack at UNC tickets and parking in 2022. Sell the experience of driving up 321 or 421, maybe partner with cabin rental companies and sell having 3-5 families staying together to lessen costs. Market specifically toward women, cause they'll bring their families with them.

I don't believe in selling the on-field product or a cult of personality around a head coach or players, because it's an uncontrollable piece of the experience. But those mountains and cool air aren't going anywhere.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon May 24, 2021 5:01 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 3:43 pm
Weekend before last, I went to Cullowhee for my little sister's graduation ceremony, which was opened to the public the day before.

The WCU alumni association president spoke near the end, advising student to give back to the school and visit when possible.

The near-universal reaction from the grads to this plea was scorn and profanity. The reasoning was that many grads had student loans they were about to start paying off, went through over a year of a global pandemic, dealt with predatory off-campus housing providers and in some cases, guaranteed postgraduate employment being rescinded, so why the hell is this guy telling them to give more money?

Imagine someone telling those same grads that their non donations are hurting student athletes? That's not going to work.

I think phone banking to non donors would work a lot more than people realize. It still works in politics to an extent. Hunting down grads and getting in touch with a customer service charm can have positive yields, IMO. Use the arguments of lessening the burden on future student fees as they contribute 60% of athletics funds. Tell then they'll get first crack at UNC tickets and parking in 2022. Sell the experience of driving up 321 or 421, maybe partner with cabin rental companies and sell having 3-5 families staying together to lessen costs. Market specifically toward women, cause they'll bring their families with them.

I don't believe in selling the on-field product or a cult of personality around a head coach or players, because it's an uncontrollable piece of the experience. But those mountains and cool air aren't going anywhere.
We could use that 2033 South Carolina game as a carrot too. Tell them YC members will get the best spots to park their flying cars and teleportation machines.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon May 24, 2021 6:17 pm

Gonzo wrote:

Snitching on himself??? ROFLMBO!. WTH does that even mean? I'm not snitching on myself , I'm just saying what I can afford on MY budget. I can't do both. If I could I would and not support a 15 year old boy (who loves him some Apps), ummm, young man, not boy. I do give a pittance every time a Yosefer calls.

Pile on???!!! ROFLMBO again. You just make yourselves look petty and spiteful, not to mention immature.

JCline?. If you could read like a real App grad and a decent attorney, you would have learned by now that being called JCline doesn't bother me as I have said a gazillion times before, JCline was my Dad's name ( a real blue collar App fan). May he rest in peace since 1986.

As I have said before, I have the Foundation in my will and as usual some of it will trickle down to athletics in one form or another.
Having spent thousands sending my now grown (53 year old) App fan son to App was a hell of a lot of "donation" to ASU.

Now go pick on someone who has to squat to pee.

Enjoyed the back and forth Bonzo. Let's do it some more.
Last edited by NewApp on Mon May 24, 2021 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon May 24, 2021 6:21 pm

T-Dog wrote:

Good post. If I had said that about Western, Bonzo and Dazed would have accused me of being a WCU fan (which I am to the extent they are sister school and I had some good friends and fun times there).
Google SUX

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Mon May 24, 2021 7:15 pm

NewApp wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 6:17 pm

Having spent thousands sending my now grown (53 year old) App fan son to App was a hell of a lot of "donation" to ASU.

wow.......

That is the exact attitude these other people are talking about. If all any of us did was pay our initial student fees then we would have no athletics.

And what do you have against women?

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Mon May 24, 2021 7:25 pm

T-Dog wrote:

I think it would help to start off with small one time expenditures that aren't seen as "donations." Get people to buy a product that supports a specific cause. Once people start doing more of the one off purchases it becomes more routine to be willing to give money. It also helps people realize that they actually CAN afford to give small amounts. When they just go on the please give us money campaigns it doesn't really hit home with those that expect something in return. I think the department just needs to get people to take more baby steps before asking for full time "subscriptions" to the athletic department. Now once we get people in a mindset of giving it would help. They could even promote further giving as a "subscription" to the university as that is a term many will be able to relate to than please give us money.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Mon May 24, 2021 7:50 pm

Looks like the right thing to do Mountaineers.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:13 am

Great Opportunity to follow and Win
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:13 pm

NewApp wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 6:17 pm
Gonzo wrote:

Snitching on himself??? ROFLMBO!. WTH does that even mean? I'm not snitching on myself , I'm just saying what I can afford on MY budget. I can't do both. If I could I would and not support a 15 year old boy (who loves him some Apps), ummm, young man, not boy. I do give a pittance every time a Yosefer calls.

Pile on???!!! ROFLMBO again. You just make yourselves look petty and spiteful, not to mention immature.

JCline?. If you could read like a real App grad and a decent attorney, you would have learned by now that being called JCline doesn't bother me as I have said a gazillion times before, JCline was my Dad's name ( a real blue collar App fan). May he rest in peace since 1986.

As I have said before, I have the Foundation in my will and as usual some of it will trickle down to athletics in one form or another.

Enjoyed the back and forth Bonzo. Let's do it some more.
Dude, what is wrong with you?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”