Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Jason Isbell playing Kidd brewer

Seattleapp
School: Appalachian State

Jason Isbell playing Kidd brewer

Unread post by Seattleapp » Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:07 pm

I know this isn’t about Luke Combs or Eric Church but Jason Isbell playing Kidd brewer tonight is pretty dang cool

Rekdiver

Re: Jason Isbell playing Kidd brewer

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:18 pm

Had to look him up. Never heard of him.

booneboy92

Unread post by booneboy92 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:45 pm

Just picked my wife and daughter up from the airport after a month long trip to NYC… I am physically sick about not not being there!!! We’re going to LC show but, hands down, I would have rather been there tonight!!! This has been a 3 month struggle but… priorities. For me, this is a MUCH bigger deal than Buffett or Thorogood playing in Varsity while I was there. I’ve been a DriveBy Truckers and solo Isbell fan for a long time!

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:36 am

booneboy92 wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:45 pm
Just picked my wife and daughter up from the airport after a month long trip to NYC… I am physically sick about not not being there!!! We’re going to LC show but, hands down, I would have rather been there tonight!!! This has been a 3 month struggle but… priorities. For me, this is a MUCH bigger deal than Buffett or Thorogood playing in Varsity while I was there. I’ve been a DriveBy Truckers and solo Isbell fan for a long time!
It did not disappoint. Lightning delay but the show started around nine and he crushed like he usually does. Very complimentary of app state and the area. Good crowd. It was cool being on the field watching the show in perfect weather.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:21 am

They should have more concerts during summer like this. Like an outdoor amphitheater in Raleigh or Charlotte but you have the mountains in background. Nice to see alternatives such as alternative, country, rock, blue grass, etc. Set the set up so inclement weather would not impact the band. Another revenue generator for university. Could run these through September when full student population back in town.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:58 pm

Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:21 am
They should have more concerts during summer like this. Like an outdoor amphitheater in Raleigh or Charlotte but you have the mountains in background. Nice to see alternatives such as alternative, country, rock, blue grass, etc. Set the set up so inclement weather would not impact the band. Another revenue generator for university. Could run these through September when full student population back in town.
Enjoyed a concert in Red Rocks Amphitheater this summer. Boone/The High Country needs to build the East Coast Version. It is an incredible experience and there has to be a setting worthy of a 8K to 10K seat venue.

ShagNC

Unread post by ShagNC » Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:43 pm

App needs to do a better job of marketing these events...I'm not sure I heard about it until the day before. Regardless, we have a great venue and should look into a summer concert series at The Rock. What other famous acts have performed at App in the past?
GO! FIGHT! KICK ASS!

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:44 pm

ShagNC wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:43 pm
App needs to do a better job of marketing these events...I'm not sure I heard about it until the day before. Regardless, we have a great venue and should look into a summer concert series at The Rock. What other famous acts have performed at App in the past?
I couldn’t agree more. Mrs Seattleapp got us tickets and I was shocked there wasn’t more buzz he was playing. Isbell is as respected a “non modern country” artist as there is out there today. The guy has won multiple grammy’s despite not being a commercially manufactured artist. (Luke Bryan) He sold out the famous ryman theater in Nashville 6 nights in a row pre pandemic. There was a nice crowd there for July despite no students, but I was surprised it wasn’t promoted more. I know combs and church are native sons but there is no comparison between isbell’s ability compared to theirs. He’s on a different level talent wise.

beav910

Unread post by beav910 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:49 pm

Saw him in Schaefer a few years ago as a student. Crazy how big he’s getting and now he’s playing Kidd Brewer.
Appalachian State Alumnus :: Graphic Designer

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:10 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:18 pm
Had to look him up. Never heard of him.
You could do worse

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:56 am

ShagNC wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:43 pm
Tons. The APPS program has brought some great people to Boone over the years. I personally have seen at KBS (since early-mid 2000's), Diamond Rio, LeeAnn Womack, Dierks Bentley, The Band Perry, Kacey Musgraves, The Temptations and 4 tops (what was left of them). I saw Willie Nelson, Doobie Bros/Chicago at the convocation center, Lonestar, Old Crow at Farthing. Little Big Town played a few years ago, and I think late 90's or early 2000 Kenny Rogers did too.
I didn't see them, but John Mayer when he was popular, Lil Wayne, Dave Matthews Band have all played at Holmes. To be a small town, App brings in some really big acts

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:59 am

Y’all are forgetting Wyclef Jean when he came to Boone and played. Was 45 minutes late, sang his hit song “gone til November” (changing the lyric to “high til November”) then walked off the stage. Boy that went over well.
Give 'em hell!

BayouApp

Unread post by BayouApp » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:36 am

Now if you really want to do the time machine, Bruce Springsteen and Billy Joel played at Varsity Gym in the mid/late 70s. Joel made fun of the gym and asked if it was the Boone Bus Terminal. It was a small but very enthusiastic crowd for Springsteen. Both put on a great show.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:01 am

BeauFoster wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:59 am
Y’all are forgetting Wyclef Jean when he came to Boone and played. Was 45 minutes late, sang his hit song “gone til November” (changing the lyric to “high til November”) then walked off the stage. Boy that went over well.
😂😂😂😂. Dude I had forgotten about that.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:03 am

BayouApp wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:36 am
Now if you really want to do the time machine, Bruce Springsteen and Billy Joel played at Varsity Gym in the mid/late 70s. Joel made fun of the gym and asked if it was the Boone Bus Terminal. It was a small but very enthusiastic crowd for Springsteen. Both put on a great show.
Joel was probably asking because he was looking for a place to drunk crash his car later

booneboy92

Unread post by booneboy92 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:10 am

My last semester a buddy of mine asked me to go see some band at Legend’s called Hootie and The Blowfish. I just made fun of the name and, not so kindly, turned him down… Within about 6 months, “Hold My Hand” was a #1 single and “Cracked Rear View” was at the top of the album charts! Those guys went from Boone straight to the Moon! Talk about hindsight and regrets?!

JPatH3292

Unread post by JPatH3292 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:35 am

I remember reading an article (possibly in the Appalachian) while in school about the time Phish came to varsity gym in the 90s. Absolutely hilarious read about the atmosphere leading up to and during the show. I’m sure its out there somewhere.
DMB and Widespread Panic also came thru in the 90s/early 2000s. Panic was multiple times (lead guitarist was originally from Boone).

**Edit** Found it - https://theappalachianonline.com/diggin ... torms-asu/
Also found this cool write up reviewing that night in Boone
https://phishcrit.substack.com/p/were-c ... -your-town
Last edited by JPatH3292 on Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ShagNC

Unread post by ShagNC » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:10 pm

JPatH3292 wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:35 am
I remember reading an article (possibly in the Appalachian) while in school about the time Phish came to varsity gym in the 90s. Absolutely hilarious read about the atmosphere leading up to and during the show. I’m sure its out there somewhere.
DMB and Widespread Panic also came thru in the 90s/early 2000s. Panic was multiple times (lead guitarist was originally from Boone).
Man, seeing Panic/Phish or really any jam band in Boone would be wild. Anyone else going to see WSP in Wilmington this weekend?
GO! FIGHT! KICK ASS!

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:58 pm

JPatH3292 wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:35 am

**Edit** Found it - https://theappalachianonline.com/diggin ... torms-asu/
Also found this cool write up reviewing that night in Boone
https://phishcrit.substack.com/p/were-c ... -your-town
I had a badminton class the morning after a Panic show. They were still airing the place out when I got there for my 10 a.m. class.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:42 pm

How many attendees were at Isbell concert? How did they seat everyone? field plus, full stands, NEZ with stage in front of Big Screen?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”