Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Hold on to your hats ….

Stonewall
School: Appalachian State

Hold on to your hats ….

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:46 am

and it’s not the wind….

VNova

Re: Hold on to your hats ….

Unread post by VNova » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:04 am

Referring to Everts stepping down?

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:05 am

Wow! And just like that…she is gone! Man, the pressure must’ve been INTENSE! Now, we start to rebuild…

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 am

free expression tunnels are SO back

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:07 am

VNova wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:04 am
Just got email newsletter where she informed UNC System President she is stepping down. I had heard this would happen in May or June so this is an early gift and I expect the BOT to make sure we get someone who puts athletics on equal footing with academics.

I am sure Shawn Clark celebrated big time. His job security just got better.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:13 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:07 am
VNova wrote:
Just got email newsletter where she informed UNC System President she is stepping down! She was forced to do this but they let her save face here. I had heard this would happen in May or June so this is an early gift!

Now we need to get a pro athletics chancellor. I am sure Shawn Clark celebrated big time. His job security just got better.
We need someone that puts athletics in its proper place. I do not want someone that allows UNC-CHeat type stuff going on. We are better than that. I do like to see athletics used as a front door for marketing, but not at the expense of academics.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Tru2ASU

Unread post by Tru2ASU » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:16 am

BallantyneApp wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 am
free expression tunnels are SO back
As far as I saw, never communicated too much on that. Reasoning was it was spreading to too many sidewalks and buildings. Plus, gang graffiti has taken off across campus the last few years.

Tru2ASU

Unread post by Tru2ASU » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:18 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:13 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
VNova wrote:
Just got email newsletter where she informed UNC System President she is stepping down! She was forced to do this but they let her save face here. I had heard this would happen in May or June so this is an early gift!

Now we need to get a pro athletics chancellor. I am sure Shawn Clark celebrated big time. His job security just got better.
We need someone that puts athletics in its proper place. I do not want someone that allows UNC-CHeat type stuff going on. We are better than that. I do like to see athletics used as a front door for marketing, but not at the expense of academics.
Let's hope so. I sat through a few chancellor changes at different universities, and they usually go in the complete, opposite direction. If you have someone very pro sports, pro police, and what some assume not giving faculty their best, then they usually try to go after the opposite of that. Hopefully, we can find a happy medium.

Unread post by 8993 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:19 am

I think y'all might be celebrating a little too soon.

Whether you agree or not, it's not fair to say that Everts was anti-athletcs. Instead, she was consistently pouring more money into athletics, something that she faced a ton of heat from from faculty across all programs. At the same time, we heard from quite a few sources, even here, that Everts was adamant about App being the face of the Sun Belt and wanted us to succeed in every way possible in athletics, as she saw that as the way to move App forward.

On top of all of that, I'm not sure now is the time we should be cheering on this major of a transition. App, just like all of higher ed, is in such a delicate place with enrollment numbers plummeting. Whether we agreed or not with the means to do it, Everts kept those numbers high and found ways to even increase numbers while other colleges and universities were closing or merging.

Lastly, I don't trust the UNC Board of Governors as far as I can throw them. This is one of the most politically-charged iterations of the Board in history and they are not above throwing somebody with little-to-no experience in that role to appease their donors, their behind-closed-door friends, and their political policies. The culture of App has changed DRASTICALLY over the last few decades and I don't want to see that fall to the wayside because some political crony gets a spot because of the good ole boy system.

I guess we will see what happens and who is picked next, but I'd hold the confetti and streamers until we know that we're moving in the right direction. Between the revamp of West Campus, the expansion into Hickory, the athletic boon over the last decade, and the general uptick in enrollment and donor dollars, I think we were doing quite fine with Everts. We, as a collective fanbase, have to stop comparing her to Peacock and recognize that she did actual good at App State.

I hope that she remains healthy and well in this time of transition.

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:20 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
VNova wrote:

This is my opinion on the matter too. There’s a lot of academic growth, that I think App should have, that can only be done by the right personality driving for it

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:24 am

8993 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:19 am
I think y'all might be celebrating a little too soon.

Whether you agree or not, it's not fair to say that Everts was anti-athletcs. Instead, she was consistently pouring more money into athletics, something that she faced a ton of heat from from faculty across all programs. At the same time, we heard from quite a few sources, even here, that Everts was adamant about App being the face of the Sun Belt and wanted us to succeed in every way possible in athletics, as she saw that as the way to move App forward.

On top of all of that, I'm not sure now is the time we should be cheering on this major of a transition. App, just like all of higher ed, is in such a delicate place with enrollment numbers plummeting. Whether we agreed or not with the means to do it, Everts kept those numbers high and found ways to even increase numbers while other colleges and universities were closing or merging.

Lastly, I don't trust the UNC Board of Governors as far as I can throw them. This is one of the most politically-charged iterations of the Board in history and they are not above throwing somebody with little-to-no experience in that role to appease their donors, their behind-closed-door friends, and their political policies. The culture of App has changed DRASTICALLY over the last few decades and I don't want to see that fall to the wayside because some political crony gets a spot because of the good ole boy system.

I guess we will see what happens and who is picked next, but I'd hold the confetti and streamers until we know that we're moving in the right direction. Between the revamp of West Campus, the expansion into Hickory, the athletic boon over the last decade, and the general uptick in enrollment and donor dollars, I think we were doing quite fine with Everts. We, as a collective fanbase, have to stop comparing her to Peacock and recognize that she did actual good at App State.

I hope that she remains healthy and well in this time of transition.
Be careful what we wish for. We just might get it.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:26 am

Tru2ASU wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:18 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
VNova wrote:

Let's hope so. I sat through a few chancellor changes at different universities, and they usually go in the complete, opposite direction. If you have someone very pro sports, pro police, and what some assume not giving faculty their best, then they usually try to go after the opposite of that. Hopefully, we can find a happy medium.
I know Everts was disliked by many but I do worry not so much about the academics/athletics as much as the political headwinds in Raleigh and what WCU and ECU went through a few years ago. If my memory is correct there was a lot of political movements going on and that is not going to be good for any university.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:35 am

Absolutely fair statements. However I am confident that the BOT understands what is at stake and will guide things forward.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:38 am

She was a good Chancellor. I don't know her personally, but she made decisions that needed to be made and mostly they played out to be correct. Her leadership during the pandemic was better than at most universities. Her message indicates significant health challenges. That's sad to hear and I wish her the best.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:43 am

Whether you loved her, liked her or hated her, the fact of the matter is that she simply “lost the room” with some of her more recent initiatives. If concerns over her health are legitimate reasons for her hasty departure, then I wish her well and send prayers for those improvements.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:46 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
VNova wrote:

Have you heard reason to believe that has been happening? Beyond things like athletes taking easy classes, missing a lot of classes, etc., that has always happened at App and probably everywhere else?

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:22 am

App. St. can have both ..focus on academics and athletics. Whether people like it or not, App..St. would not had the growth etc. and potentially not in SBC without focusing on Athletics or providing an environment to succeed in athletics. Some may disagree..and that is fine. I want someone that embraces athletics and how important it is to the culture of App. St. and Boone... while still providing the opportunity for a world class educational opportunity.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:30 am

BambooRdApp wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:22 am
App. St. can have both ..focus on academics and athletics. Whether people like it or not, App..St. would not had the growth etc. and potentially not in SBC without focusing on Athletics or providing an environment to succeed in athletics. Some may disagree..and that is fine. I want someone that embraces athletics and how important it is to the culture of App. St. and Boone... while still providing the opportunity for a world class educational opportunity.
That's a fair statement. I certainly want someone who understands the importance of athletics but App State is an academic institution first and foremost. I think we can all agree that a good athletics program can enhance the overall climate and culture of the university.

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:43 am

I am also pumping the brakes. I don’t know all the specific reasons people ‘hated’ Everts. It almost feels like it became the ‘cool thing to do,’ towards the end. I do wish her the best, I do think she did some really good things. Wish her nothing but the best with her health.

I have very serious heartburn over the UNC Board during this process. Politically motivated is an understatement.

GO APPS!!
Last edited by appstate24 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:01 pm

McLeansville -
"I know Everts was disliked by many but I do worry not so much about the academics/athletics as much as the political headwinds in Raleigh and what WCU and ECU went through a few years ago. If my memory is correct there was a lot of political movements going on and that is not going to be good for any university."

Hey, could you elaborate on your thoughts about political headwinds and as to what happen to WCU and ECU - feel free to PM me if you wish -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”