Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Just my two cents on expansion of the SEC and the 12 team CFP

Saint3333

Re: Just my two cents on expansion of the SEC and the 12 team CFP

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:20 pm

Guys when we started paying players it was the beginning of the end. Welcome to the official unofficial minor leagues.

bigdaddyg
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:41 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:47 pm
t4pizza wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:42 pm
Not sure that key players on big programs are going to need to put the work in before they get paid. Alabama's sophomore QB Bryce Young has yet to start a game and has already SIGNED over 800,000 in NIL deals with larger ones still pending. Only work he has demonstrated is the high school film that had him as the number 1QB recruit in the nation and limited mop up duty against well beaten teams last year. This guy is almost a millionaire simply because he is the projected starting QB at bama. He could blow an ankle and never play and he would still have a really really good nest egg for his future. This won't be the last guy to become rich without starting through NIL. It's like in the NFL before they restructured the draft payments for QB, the unproven rookie (many of which never did squat) was one of if not the highest paid players on the team without even playing a down. If there aren't some type of limits, it will get that way in college as well. The top high school recruits will be millionaires before playing a down, and we all know how often a top high school guy never does anything in college football.
I wonder if the percentages of college players getting all this big money that will become broke from crapping their money mirrors the ones in the professional leagues?
Yep these guys who would otherwise cry that they have no money for a pizza or to take a girl out will now blow their NIl earnings on cars, jewelry and who knows what all before turning 20- while getting a free education (more or less), free development and free exposure. I simply can’t believe that extremely intelligent guys like Jay Bilas actually feel like this is a great idea. Just let the NFL start an 8 team minor league and pay these guys. Let kids skip the charade of college and just start getting paid. If some 18 year old believes he’s ready let him go and when he blows his knee out and is done so be it.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:49 am

The one thing that concerns me is do marketz matter all of a sudden for NIL to pay off. If so UnCC and Georgia St may start getting better recruits. More business to sign endorsement/commercials for. I am sure there are more used car lot opportunities in. Charlotte and Atlanta…..”WE’Re DEALING”

citroknight
School: UCF

Unread post by citroknight » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:19 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:49 am
The one thing that concerns me is do marketz matter all of a sudden for NIL to pay off. If so UnCC and Georgia St may start getting better recruits. More business to sign endorsement/commercials for. I am sure there are more used car lot opportunities in. Charlotte and Atlanta…..”WE’Re DEALING”
Theoretically, those schools would have a higher ceiling for business potential. But the businesses have to care enough about those schools and find value in their players to make it happen. Otherwise business in Charlotte likely care more about UNC and Duke basketball players and Atlanta businesses more about UGA football players than UNCC or Ga State.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:54 pm

citroknight wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:19 pm
spacemonkey wrote:
Theoretically, those schools would have a higher ceiling for business potential. But the businesses have to care enough about those schools and find value in their players to make it happen. Otherwise business in Charlotte likely care more about UNC and Duke basketball players and Atlanta businesses more about UGA football players than UNCC or Ga State.
There is a lot of truth in this.

BayouApp

Unread post by BayouApp » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:25 pm

I think you are right about the player sponsorships having more to do with what will influence customers regardless where the university is physically located. Even App players could get some sponsorships in areas where there are concentrations of App graduates, and especially if the business knows many of his customers are App graduates and/or the owner is an App fan.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:11 pm

citroknight wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:19 pm
spacemonkey wrote:
Good points...I hope you are right.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:36 pm

The NIL value of any one player, in general, ultimately will be directly related to their respective marketing power. There will be a few Players every year where the hype exceeds their talent but I think most will balance out over time. Like NFL, some average players make a lot and some really good players make very little. However mostly the better the player the more value they earn. Therefore that is an incentive to play your best.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:34 pm

I think that most pro leagues learned that it’s ridiculous to pay a rookie a crazy salary/contract until they prove their worth. Typically even the top players don’t get the big money until the second contract. To even pay some kid right of high school 6 or 7 figures is beyond insane to me. Maybe I’m wrong but these deals just seem like a way to circumvent the NCAA rules. I always thought it was ridiculous to penalize a kid or school for a few meals but now it’s going to get out of control for a few years until several get busted. This absolutely will not end well.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:42 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:34 pm
I think that most pro leagues learned that it’s ridiculous to pay a rookie a crazy salary/contract until they prove their worth. Typically even the top players don’t get the big money until the second contract. To even pay some kid right of high school 6 or 7 figures is beyond insane to me. Maybe I’m wrong but these deals just seem like a way to circumvent the NCAA rules. I always thought it was ridiculous to penalize a kid or school for a few meals but now it’s going to get out of control for a few years until several get busted. This absolutely will not end well.
NIL is kinda nuts right now, I’m hoping the market stabilizes and calms down after a season or two.

Right now, I’d guess that the big programs are gonna use it to make sure they get the top guys. The guys out of the top 10 (or top 25 or whatever) are gonna have to wait for the payday. The big donors see this as a legal way to make sure that top QB ends up at their alma mater.
Give 'em hell!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”