Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Thoughts/Questions about Bowls-Playoffs-CFP Rankings

JPatH3292
School: Appalachian State

Re: Thoughts/Questions about Bowls-Playoffs-CFP Rankings

Unread post by JPatH3292 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:49 am

Both of the above teams would be great matchups. Either paying a P5 or a soon to be P5. I’ll take it

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:47 am

I saw someone ask on 247 and thought someone brought this up here as well. Would we need to keep an eye on the games this weekend because we have a shot a the NY6 depending on what happens?

I looked it up and the rules state the NY6 guarantees the highest rated G5 conference champion, if there is not a G5 team in the playoff. This has never come up because we never had a G5 in the playoff. Because of that, my guess is that we only have Cincy or Houston as the possible NY6 pick. We can't be ranked high enough no matter what to overcome the fact there is no rule in place. I just don't see the NY6 taking a 2-loss G5 team if they don't have to.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:53 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:47 am
I saw someone ask on 247 and thought someone brought this up here as well. Would we need to keep an eye on the games this weekend because we have a shot a the NY6 depending on what happens?

I looked it up and the rules state the NY6 guarantees the highest rated G5 conference champion, if there is not a G5 team in the playoff. This has never come up because we never had a G5 in the playoff. Because of that, my guess is that no we could not get in. Either Cincy gets in the playoff or they get screwed and just go to the NY6. We can't be ranked high enough no matter what to overcome the fact there is no rule in place. I am thinking that the only way a G5 gets in NY6 if a G5 is in the playoff is if they are undefeated or 12-1 with a win and loss to ranked teams only. I just don't see the NY6 taking a 2-loss G5 team if they don't have to.
The winner of the Houston Vs Cincinnati will probably be the highest rated G5 program. If Cincinnati makes the CFP that will still count towards NY6...I believe.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:18 am

spacemonkey wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:53 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:47 am

I looked it up and the rules state the NY6 guarantees the highest rated G5 conference champion, if there is not a G5 team in the playoff. This has never come up because we never had a G5 in the playoff. Because of that, my guess is that we only have Cincy or Houston as the possible NY6 pick. We can't be ranked high enough no matter what to overcome the fact there is no rule in place. I just don't see the NY6 taking a 2-loss G5 team if they don't have to.
The winner of the Houston Vs Cincinnati will probably be the highest rated G5 program. If Cincinnati makes the CFP that will still count towards NY6...I believe.
That is pretty much what I was meaning. 1 of 4 scenarios play out here.

1. Cincy wins the AAC and get in the CFP.
2. Cincy wins the AAC and get a NY6 outside of the CFP.
3. Cincy loses the AAC and Houston gets in the NY6.
4. Houston wins and is ranked in the top 12 along with Cincy then perhaps the NY6 takes both. I just wonder if the NY6 would ever take 2 G5 schools that are not undefeated?

rbarthle17
Site Admin

Unread post by rbarthle17 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:28 pm

The loser of the AAC will not be in the NY6. Have to be a G5 conference champion. And the CFP counts as part of that. So it's winner take all in the AAC.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:30 pm

rbarthle17 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:28 pm
The loser of the AAC will not be in the NY6. Have to be a G5 conference champion.
The G5 automatic has to be a conference champ. If Cincy loses to Houston they can still be picked for a NY6. Probably won't but they could.
WE ARE YOSEF!

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:12 pm

App Athletics wants the Cure Bowl. By accounts of others who've been, it's a first-class experience.

I feel like the NOLA Bowl could get UTSA vs Louisiana, which would be an awesome matchup for them.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:24 pm

10 day forecast for Orlando...78 degrees and sunny.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:01 pm

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/coll ... -cfbwk-14/

This projection is that we play Florida. Maybe we could troll Napier and beat his old team and new one back to back. ;)

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:36 pm

I'm in Orlando for work on a regular basis. Besides the theme parks, there's a ton of great stuff to do and see down there. Orlando would be a fantastic place to visit for a bowl game.

I'd really like for App to go somewhere nice for a bowl game. Not for fans, but because the players and coaches deserve it.

citroknight
School: UCF

Unread post by citroknight » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:44 am

rbarthle17 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:28 pm
The loser of the AAC will not be in the NY6. Have to be a G5 conference champion. And the CFP counts as part of that. So it's winner take all in the AAC.
Mostly right, but this year is a unique situation. You have to be a G5 conference champ for the G5 autobid, but that's not the only path into a NY6. An at large bid is also possible, but that's not something that's normally talked about because half the time, the highest ranked G5 isn't even in at large range and wouldn't make it in if it wasn't for the G5 autobid. So a G5 that lost their CCG would definitely not be in range. But we've never had a G5 team ranked as high as Cincy, who could potentially be either 3 or 4 heading into the AACCG. So there's some possibility that they lose to Houston but remain high enough to qualify for an at large bid while Houston gets the G5 autobid. They could also leave Cincy just outside of at large range but it's a possible path.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:42 am

Maybe the NY6 is an invitational to play Ohio State?
BLACK SATURDAY

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:45 am

I was looking through the football bowl predictions and saw one I liked on Sports Illustrated..... We owe LSU a beatdown... def the year to do it! I'd LOVE to see this game.

TicketSmarter Birmingham Bowl
Protective Life Stadium (Birmingham, Ala.)
Noon on ESPN
Pick: Appalachian State vs. LSU

CBS prediction is also good! I'll take playing Florida!
Dec. 17 Cure
team logo
Florida
vs.
team logo
Appalachian St
Pool vs. Pool 6:00 PM Orlando, Fla.

ESPN has several for us that I don't care for except for the Missouri one. Nice to get one on old Drink!
Union Home Mortgage Gasparilla Bowl
Raymond James Stadium (Tampa, Florida)
7 p.m. on ESPN and the ESPN App
Bonagura: Missouri vs. Appalachian State
Schlabach: Virginia Tech vs. Army

RoofClaim.com Boca Raton Bowl
FAU Stadium (Boca Raton, Florida)
11 a.m. on ESPN and the ESPN App
Bonagura: Charlotte vs. Miami (Ohio)
Schlabach: Appalachian State vs. Central Michigan

Howard Street Hooligan

Unread post by Howard Street Hooligan » Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:16 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:02 pm
Howard Street Hooligan wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:12 am
Black Saturday wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:39 am
Black Saturday wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:59 pm
Since Cincinnati and Notre Dame have been discussed on this thread. Here's some information that may be surprising based the success Cincy has had by being the first G5 to actually be ranked by a CFB Playoff committee. App has had enviable success as a football program, what would it take to match the level of Cincinnati? Without researching I thought the disparity of Cincy and APP was a handful plus of 4 star HS talent. App has made a good living getting the overlooked talent, looks like Cincinnati has too based on 0 Four Stars on their roster. Maybe APP really isn't that far removed from rhyming with Cincinnati's success. Is it possible?

https://www.si.com/college/notredame/fo ... cincinnati

Vegas is usually a good source to get a feel of who is a better team in a match up. Cincinnati -14 to our common opponent ECU this Saturday
Any you guys have an opinion after seeing Cincinnati play ECU? Is Ridder the main difference? Defense looked really good, ECU was offensively ineffective. Could we hang? Their D got after ECUs immobile QB pretty good. 12-0 is a tall order as we know.

Before this weekend

Sagarin has Cincinnati a 9 point favorite over APP on a neutral field.
If we had a better QB situation then I think we could beat them if we had the perfect day
In my opinion and 40 seasons of APP football, we have the best passing QB we’ve ever had. Now he’s on the other end of the see-saw in running effectively. If we had a better runner and less of a passer, then all that Super Senior receiving talent doesn’t come back or is wasted. I’d say no QB in our conference would make us a better team. So, scratching my head on how we get a better situation.
Sure, he put up a lot of yards but that doesn’t necessarily tell the full picture. He’s very careless with the ball, not exactly quick with his decisions and if there’s any sort of pressure then he’s toast. I’d take Coastal and Louisana’s QB off the top of my head. Plenty of other good G5 QB’s out there but Brice isn’t good. He’s just not.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:48 pm

Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:16 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:59 pm
Since Cincinnati and Notre Dame have been discussed on this thread. Here's some information that may be surprising based the success Cincy has had by being the first G5 to actually be ranked by a CFB Playoff committee. App has had enviable success as a football program, what would it take to match the level of Cincinnati? Without researching I thought the disparity of Cincy and APP was a handful plus of 4 star HS talent. App has made a good living getting the overlooked talent, looks like Cincinnati has too based on 0 Four Stars on their roster. Maybe APP really isn't that far removed from rhyming with Cincinnati's success. Is it possible?

https://www.si.com/college/notredame/fo ... cincinnati

Vegas is usually a good source to get a feel of who is a better team in a match up. Cincinnati -14 to our common opponent ECU this Saturday
Any you guys have an opinion after seeing Cincinnati play ECU? Is Ridder the main difference? Defense looked really good, ECU was offensively ineffective. Could we hang? Their D got after ECUs immobile QB pretty good. 12-0 is a tall order as we know.

Before this weekend

If we had a better QB situation then I think we could beat them if we had the perfect day
In my opinion and 40 seasons of APP football, we have the best passing QB we’ve ever had. Now he’s on the other end of the see-saw in running effectively. If we had a better runner and less of a passer, then all that Super Senior receiving talent doesn’t come back or is wasted. I’d say no QB in our conference would make us a better team. So, scratching my head on how we get a better situation.
Sure, he put up a lot of yards but that doesn’t necessarily tell the full picture. He’s very careless with the ball, not exactly quick with his decisions and if there’s any sort of pressure then he’s toast. I’d take Coastal and Louisana’s QB off the top of my head. Plenty of other good G5 QB’s out there but Brice isn’t good. He’s just not.

Gee amighty. Unless you are being facetious and hope to heck you are; I've been accused quite often of making dumb azz posts, but man, that takes the cake. All time.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Howard Street Hooligan

Unread post by Howard Street Hooligan » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:21 pm

NewApp wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:48 pm
Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:16 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:

Before this weekend

Gee amighty. Unless you are being facetious and hope to heck you are; I've been accused quite often of making dumb azz posts, but man, that takes the cake. All time.
what's dumb about it? Brice isn't a good QB.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:44 pm

" Brice isn't a good QB."

I would say you aren't a good judge of talent --- No, he isn't great - the word is overused in sports but we've had one Great QB and some Good QBs - Brice is a good QB ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”