School: Appalachian State

Re: Here we go again...Looks like the OC is out

Post by pop5app » Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:19 am

ITS CHAOS I SAY, CHAOS!!!

311neers

Post by 311neers » Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:20 am

Washington State picked up WKU OC. He's 27 years old.

It's time for Taylor Lamb.

appstatealum

Post by appstatealum » Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:29 am

When I do hear "internal" things, it always sounds a little dysfunctional right now. I love this program and anyone who wears the A, but I don't want to be loyal to a fault
The Appalachian State

Rekdiver

Post by Rekdiver » Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:32 am

ASUFan4863 wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:53 am
Screw this administration. They cut the football coaching salaries and this is the never ending shit that happens. Everts and Gillin can kick rocks. I said what I said. We need leadership who is committed to elevating our school and athletic department. We once had that but don't anymore
Where do you think the money comes from? Wake up man.

mountaineerman

Post by mountaineerman » Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:38 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:18 am
mountaineerman wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:11 am
We’re in a mess. Prepare yourselves.
How so?
You can’t be serious?

Yosef10

Post by Yosef10 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:39 am

T-Dog wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:19 am
This sucks. This royally sucks.

Six offensive coordinators in six years. An eight-week search for a defensive coordinator. Spring practice apparently begins soon. And one of the highest minimum ticket prices in all the G5 coming off a 6-6 season.
Let AppSt94 tell it, 8 weeks to find a DC is standard. All is well!

appgrad95&97

Post by appgrad95&97 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:41 am

It is a mess, come on. We failed to build on the 2019 season. I don't want to hear about COVID, that got everyone. I'm not devastated to see him go, but we are not headed in the right direction.

AppSt94

Post by AppSt94 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:42 am

mountaineerman wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:38 am
AppSt94 wrote:
mountaineerman wrote:
How so?
You can’t be serious?
How are we in a mess?

MrCraig

Post by MrCraig » Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:43 am

Boy, it sure would be nice to have the same offensive coordinator for more than one year.

Also, Mississippi State is sort of my secondary team because I have a lot of family there. I'm a little confused by this move on their part. What has Barbay proven? I mean, I hope he's successful. Just seems a bit strange. Then again, Miss State doesn't have the same money pool that the top-tier SEC schools have, so I'm sure that limits their search just like it does App's.

appchicago

Post by appchicago » Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:49 am

I can't imagine that we'll ever be in a good position to hang on to successful coordinators, regardless of whether we can find the sweet spot with head coaches. No G5 can compete with P5 coordinator money, and few G5 coordinators are going to have a shot at HC roles, a dream many of them share.

We've had our OC hired away at the end of every season since what, 2017? I don't know how you stem that tide. I don't know how any school does. Even P5s have successful coordinators poached, either as HCs or by rolling out massive sacks of cash.

Yosef10

Post by Yosef10 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:49 am

311neers wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:20 am
Washington State picked up WKU OC. He's 27 years old.

It's time for Taylor Lamb.
Average age of our current on-field staff is 49 years old, with one guy under 40. Color me shocked if Clark finally takes the youth route.

AppStateNews

Post by AppStateNews » Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:52 am

ASUFan4863 wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:57 am
311neers wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:55 am
ASUFan4863 wrote:
Screw this administration. They cut the football coaching salaries and this is the never ending shit that happens. Everts and Gillin can kick rocks. I said what I said. We need leadership who is committed to elevating our school and athletic department. We once had that but don't anymore
I thought we increased the assistant salary pool?
Barbay and others were hired with the reduced budget. Even IF we increased it, it is too late because now we are years behind after staying stagnant and reducing the budget constantly. This admin needs to look in the mirror and asks themselves if they want 30K people showing up to their school on gamedays or if they are satisfied with being a backsliding once was in the world of college football.
Barbay was hired with the reduced budget, correct. The reduced budget was caused by Covid. Without Covid, we have the highest salary pool in Sun Belt. But, Covid took away all reserves we had (plus some). We finally built the reserves back up to an operational level after Cobb left it in the red.

We are actively increasing the budget of all sports annually, but it takes time (unless I win Mega Millions). Having a higher salary pool will not eliminate coaches leaving for P5. We will never be able to compete with those salaries (again, unless I win Mega Millions).

Everyone complaining about it better be giving to Yosef Club and not freeloading like majority of our fan base does.

And, lastly, this isn't a surprise to Gillin or Clark. It's been in the works for a while. We countered with an offer to Barbay and made him double/triple think it, but ultimately could not get anywhere close to the offered salary or career path jump an SEC school offers.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

mountaineerman

Post by mountaineerman » Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:57 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:42 am
mountaineerman wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
mountaineerman wrote:
How so?
You can’t be serious?
How are we in a mess?
Well we have a head coach that has a big ? Beside him as far as I’m concerned. Now couple that with DC and OC .. I would say this isn’t clean but what do I know.

Appmountaineers19
School: Other

Post by Appmountaineers19 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:59 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:52 am
ASUFan4863 wrote:
311neers wrote:
ASUFan4863 wrote:
Barbay and others were hired with the reduced budget. Even IF we increased it, it is too late because now we are years behind after staying stagnant and reducing the budget constantly. This admin needs to look in the mirror and asks themselves if they want 30K people showing up to their school on gamedays or if they are satisfied with being a backsliding once was in the world of college football.
Barbay was hired with the reduced budget, correct. The reduced budget was caused by Covid. Without Covid, we have the highest salary pool in Sun Belt. But, Covid took away all reserves we had (plus some). We finally built the reserves back up to an operational level after Cobb left it in the red.

We are actively increasing the budget of all sports annually, but it takes time (unless I win Mega Millions). Having a higher salary pool will not eliminate coaches leaving for P5. We will never be able to compete with those salaries (again, unless I win Mega Millions).

Everyone complaining about it better be giving to Yosef Club and not freeloading like majority of our fan base does.

And, lastly, this isn't a surprise to Gillin or Clark. It's been in the works for a while. We countered with an offer to Barbay and made him double/triple think it, but ultimately could not get anywhere close to the offered salary or career path jump an SEC school offers.
Yeah I been part of the YC for the last 4 years and hell I'm not even alumni - I don't even donate to my the colleges I played at. I think this is the first time on a message board I've truly complained about how frustrating this can be.

CornCobPipes

Post by CornCobPipes » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:03 pm

Hopefully concessions are made in the 15th round😁
KICK ASS!!!

AppStateNews

Post by AppStateNews » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:08 pm

Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:59 am
AppStateNews wrote:
ASUFan4863 wrote:
311neers wrote:
ASUFan4863 wrote:

Yeah I been part of the YC for the last 4 years and hell I'm not even alumni - I don't even donate to my the colleges I played at. I think this is the first time on a message board I've truly complained about how frustrating this can be.
Appreciate you donating to the cause!

Super frustrating for sure. Being frustrated is perfectly fine and expected. But, ultimately, money is the answer to hold on to these guys. We can't pay more money until we get more money. Gillin and company have done a tremendous job at finding money and we are now at the level of our Sun Belt peers. We will never be able to compete with SEC money though.

And, the freeloading comment isn't about you obviously if you are donating. But, we have roughly 4000 donating members to Yosef Club with over 130,000 living alumni. That is terrible numbers and majority of our fan base does freeload off people like you that do donate!
tAPPedInSports.net

AppSt94

Post by AppSt94 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:18 pm

mountaineerman wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:57 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:42 am
mountaineerman wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
mountaineerman wrote:
How so?
You can’t be serious?
How are we in a mess?
Well we have a head coach that has a big ? Beside him as far as I’m concerned. Now couple that with DC and OC .. I would say this isn’t clean but what do I know.
These are obstacles that we, and most successful G5 programs have to contend with. There are a lot of eyes on App in terms of how we do things in terms of player evaluation and offers, as well as coaching hires. I get your point but we aren’t losing coaches to peer institutions. They are moving up. It happens. You can’t compete toe to toe with the money that these guys can get. Is it pretty or something to puff out your chest? No. But the question that should be asked, although it won’t get answered is, “what’s the plan moving forward.” As long as there is one, and I believe that there is, then I don’t see it as a “mess.”

HurricaneYosef

Post by HurricaneYosef » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:24 pm

Taylor Lamb inherited a 4400+ yd passer, 31 TD and 10 interception QB at UVA this past season that returned 3+ key vet WR's like we did with Sutton/Hennigan/Virgil in 2021.

In one year under Lamb and new coaching staff that QB (Brennan Armstrong) threw for 2200 yds, 7 TDs, and 12 interceptions.

I love Lamb, but don't know that I would be thrilled based on this aspect of his coaching resume.

AppStateNews

Post by AppStateNews » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:27 pm

HurricaneYosef wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:24 pm
Taylor Lamb inherited a 4400+ yd passer, 31 TD and 10 interception QB at UVA this past season that returned 3+ key vet WR's like we did with Sutton/Hennigan/Virgil in 2021.

In one year under Lamb and new coaching staff that QB (Brennan Armstrong) threw for 2200 yds, 7 TDs, and 12 interceptions.

I love Lamb, but don't know that I would be thrilled based on this aspect of his coaching resume.
You realize he didn't call plays, right? He was QB coach for a brand new OC trying to install a new offense with pieces built towards another scheme. That is not easy to do.

If you go back to what Lamb did at Gardner-Webb, you can see his potential as an OC. That said, I personally don't think he's the answer either.
tAPPedInSports.net

bcoach

Post by bcoach » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:32 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:08 pm
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:59 am
AppStateNews wrote:
ASUFan4863 wrote:
311neers wrote:

Appreciate you donating to the cause!

Super frustrating for sure. Being frustrated is perfectly fine and expected. But, ultimately, money is the answer to hold on to these guys. We can't pay more money until we get more money. Gillin and company have done a tremendous job at finding money and we are now at the level of our Sun Belt peers. We will never be able to compete with SEC money though.

And, the freeloading comment isn't about you obviously if you are donating. But, we have roughly 4000 donating members to Yosef Club with over 130,000 living alumni. That is terrible numbers and majority of our fan base does freeload off people like you that do donate!
Honest question. Can you estimate how many of that 130,000 are football fans. I ask because there are many that could care less.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”