311neers
School: Appalachian State

Re: It's Bur....Joey Time! - GW discussion

Unread post by 311neers » Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:36 am

AppinVA wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:24 am
BambooRdApp wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:14 am
I may be wrong in my assessment. I believe that Burger and JA are pretty equal. In the series that he played, Burger was more read option. On his pass plays, it seemed that he had pass rush in his face. I am actually happy to have either QB under center. Not sure how long Burger played with the hurt hand. Seemed like a couple of fingers were taped up for several series. JA have the team a spark and has a strong arm. I believe we got two QBs for this year if Burger is not out for an extended time.
Burger was not decisive, Aguilar was. Joey saw an open receiver and hit him. Ryan usually throws a pretty ball, but his injury could have affected everything from snap to throw. I’ve never broken my hand, fingers yes, but either way I can’t imagine the pain he was feeling when taking a shotgun snap every time. And then he had to make split decisions while not getting a ton of protection from the offensive line, so that could have led to some of his indecisiveness.
2nd this. Aguilar has a faster twitch about him and at this level that makes a big difference. Burger is still working into his frame but looked good at times. Hope he comes back stronger than ever, we may need him at some point this season!

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:43 am

311neers wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:36 am
AppinVA wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:
I may be wrong in my assessment. I believe that Burger and JA are pretty equal. In the series that he played, Burger was more read option. On his pass plays, it seemed that he had pass rush in his face. I am actually happy to have either QB under center. Not sure how long Burger played with the hurt hand. Seemed like a couple of fingers were taped up for several series. JA have the team a spark and has a strong arm. I believe we got two QBs for this year if Burger is not out for an extended time.
Burger was not decisive, Aguilar was. Joey saw an open receiver and hit him. Ryan usually throws a pretty ball, but his injury could have affected everything from snap to throw. I’ve never broken my hand, fingers yes, but either way I can’t imagine the pain he was feeling when taking a shotgun snap every time. And then he had to make split decisions while not getting a ton of protection from the offensive line, so that could have led to some of his indecisiveness.
2nd this. Aguilar has a faster twitch about him and at this level that makes a big difference. Burger is still working into his frame but looked good at times. Hope he comes back stronger than ever, we may need him at some point this season!
My armchair assessment: both of them looked like what they are. Both have a lot of talent, but Aguilar has more playing experience coming from JUCO and UCF, while Burger was starting his first college game. No disrespect to Burger, Aguilar just looked like he’d been there before.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:43 am

AppinVA wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:
You do have to wonder when the injury occurred and if it affected his play. He was 7-11 but obviously the zip on some passes were affected.

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:44 am

Can we talk about Joey lowering the boom on #30 on that scrambling down the sideline toward the south end zone?? I looked at my crew and said 3 things.
1). Joey has dog in him!
2). He just earned a lot of respect from the team
3). That was awesome, don’t do it too often going forward. :lol: :lol:

GO APPS!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:45 am

appstate24 wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:44 am
Can we talk about Joey lowering the boom on #30 on that scrambling down the sideline toward the south end zone?? I looked at my crew and said 3 things.
1). Joey has dog in him!

GO APPS!!
That was a comment about Aguilar. He doesn’t shy away from contact.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:49 am

appstate24 wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:44 am
1). Joey has dog in him!

GO APPS!!
Item 2... announcers said the exact same thing
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:17 am

We scored on 7 of 12 offensive series and missed a FG on another. That’s 66% of our drives were productive in one way or another. Pretty impressive for two new QBs.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:17 am

MrCraig wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:43 am
311neers wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:
My armchair assessment: both of them looked like what they are. Both have a lot of talent, but Aguilar has more playing experience coming from JUCO and UCF, while Burger was starting his first college game. No disrespect to Burger, Aguilar just looked like he’d been there before.
Wait, Aguilar was at UCF? I missed that.

appalum2003

Unread post by appalum2003 » Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:36 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
I may be wrong in my assessment. I believe that Burger and JA are pretty equal. In the series that he played, Burger was more read option. On his pass plays, it seemed that he had pass rush in his face. I am actually happy to have either QB under center. Not sure how long Burger played with the hurt hand. Seemed like a couple of fingers were taped up for several series. JA gave the team a spark and has a strong arm. I believe we got two QBs for this year if Burger is not out for an extended time.
JA's pocket presence way 100x better than Burger, who looked LOST out there when the initial read wasn't there.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:50 pm

311neers wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:17 am
MrCraig wrote:
311neers wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:
No, just JuCo in Northern California.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:53 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:43 am
I mean, Burger came out late after halftime and his hand was clearly bandaged. I've jammed and broken fingers and I never got a bandage for a jammed finger.
My understanding is Burger had a temporary rod put in place at halftime prior to surgery..

I have not confirmed this 100% yet, but sounds accurate based on everything else I've heard/been told.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:46 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:53 pm
T-Dog wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:43 am
I mean, Burger came out late after halftime and his hand was clearly bandaged. I've jammed and broken fingers and I never got a bandage for a jammed finger.
My understanding is Burger had a temporary rod put in place at halftime prior to surgery..

I have not confirmed this 100% yet, but sounds accurate based on everything else I've heard/been told.
I noticed he had hand covered while in the game and put something else on it when they took him out and he did not play anymore. Hopefully he is okay?

I could not read this whole thread but I have to feel like we now know we have 2 good QBs. Having 2 mobile QBs is huge and should help us. How long will Burger be out? If we can just clean up mistakes and tackle better we should win a few more games than we did last year.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:55 pm

311neers wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:
I have to agree. The play where he rolled out to right and had a receiver deep, it looked as if he couldn’t get his hips and shoulders flipped to make an accurate throw.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:44 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:50 pm
311neers wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
311neers wrote:
AppinVA wrote:

I SWEAR I saw that he was a backup at UCF for a year, but obviously that isn’t true. My mistake. My point still stands, he has played significant snaps in college football, even if at the JUCO level.

Slapp85

Unread post by Slapp85 » Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:52 pm

If Burger played with a broken hand until he just couldn't go any longer, he gave his all for App.
Hopefully he is back soon, I am sure we will need him.

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:22 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:44 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:50 pm
311neers wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
311neers wrote:

I SWEAR I saw that he was a backup at UCF for a year, but obviously that isn’t true. My mistake. My point still stands, he has played significant snaps in college football, even if at the JUCO level.
On one of the broadcast someone made mention of him from UCF. I heard it as well. May be a mistake from commentators. I can't find anything if he was. Either way, he is here now!

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:46 pm

Aguilar seemed to be more comfortable with the speed of the game. And his arm is sharp.
WE ARE YOSEF!

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:23 pm

AppSt94 wrote:

You do have to wonder when the injury occurred and if it affected his play. He was 7-11 but obviously the zip on some passes were affected.
I went back and looked for this and it looked to me like it was on that play where he threw the ball out of bounds when he didnt really need to. It was around the 5:00 mark in the first. But i didnt see the actual accident. On that play though there was the errant throw and after the play the camera did show him trying to shake his hand as if something was wrong.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:40 pm

AppAlum1 wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:23 pm
AppSt94 wrote:

I went back and looked for this and it looked to me like it was on that play where he threw the ball out of bounds when he didnt really need to. It was around the 5:00 mark in the first. But i didnt see the actual accident. On that play though there was the errant throw and after the play the camera did show him trying to shake his hand as if something was wrong.
I think it may have happened earlier in the game. 1st or 2nd drive. He was probably shaking his hand because throwing just aggravated the injury.

ASUchipman

Re: It's Burger Time - GW discussion

Unread post by ASUchipman » Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:06 pm

appalum2003 wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:16 pm
I think I’m done with this program until Shawn Clark is gone
In the words of Curly Bill. Well bye.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”