SBC Championship Game at Troy discussion

Boonegoon
School: Appalachian State

Re: SBC Championship Game at Troy discussion

Unread post by Boonegoon » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:10 pm

Longrifle28 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:46 am
We were right there through the 3rd quarter. Their score and then the turnover score broke our backs in the 4th. If somehow we had been able to answer the score when they went up 28 to 17 without a turnover td, we might have been able to stay in the game. After that there just wasn't enough time.
I think going for it on 4th by running into their line was the play that changed the game. I get going for it but that wasn't our strength that day and we telegraphed it with Castle. We get at least 3 on that drive and complexion of the game is completely different.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:25 pm

Boonegoon wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:10 pm
Longrifle28 wrote:
We were right there through the 3rd quarter. Their score and then the turnover score broke our backs in the 4th. If somehow we had been able to answer the score when they went up 28 to 17 without a turnover td, we might have been able to stay in the game. After that there just wasn't enough time.
If it was RPO the TE was wide open.
I think going for it on 4th by running into their line was the play that changed the game. I get going for it but that wasn't our strength that day and we telegraphed it with Castle. We get at least 3 on that drive and complexion of the game is completely different.

MtnMan14

Re: SBC Championship Game at Troy discussio

Unread post by MtnMan14 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:54 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:35 am
MtnMan14 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:18 am
Just my $.02, I don’t necessarily think it’s that we’re weak up front, just small. I just don’t think playing small ball works at this level. D line has gotten much bigger and I think with a good sized NT that can eat a double team we could be good. O line definitely needs work. No matter how strong and well conditioned you are, when you’re giving up 30-50lbs to guys on the other side of the line you’re going to get wore down. It’s not a knock on any of the guys we have. We have a lot of talent. Just need a bit more beef.
Our top 8 OL averages 301 lbs. I’m not seeing us facing guys that are 320-350 on a routine basis. According to some sites, the average OL starter weighs 309 lbs so we aren’t too far below the average. As for NT, there are two methods of approach. You either create gaps by bulldozing guys out of the way, or you create gaps with quick burst and hand fighting. Ideally, you would like to have a 350 lb mountain that moves like a chicken, but those guys are playing in the SEC.
Unless our rosters show wrong weights, the only guy on our starting line over 300 is Gentry. Scroggs is the only one who would tip that average towards that 301 you speak of but I don’t believe I’ve seen him play much. Point is, go look at Troy’s O line vs ours. They have several guys in the 315-330 range starting. Their NT is 317. And it showed. If we want to run the ball up the middle like we seem insistent upon doing, we need the size to do it.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:00 pm

Longrifle28 wrote:
Indeed but the game is 4 quarters and we can't wear down. Can't let a turnover snowball things.

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:09 pm

One last post.
Was it me or did we revert to the same offensive play calling that got us to 3-4?
And having to play from behind on a rainy day that might affect passing, with a Troy defense that stops the run.

Bad gameplan or poorly executed?

Thanks
And Go App.... Beat Miami, Oh

Yosef1986

Unread post by Yosef1986 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:29 pm

We can go around all day on players, coaches etc.... All teams have strengths and weaknesses - the good teams and most successful teams adapt and overcome. Not sure we always adapted or at least try to adapt and overcome. In the 2nd half the Troy D Line was almost tackling or at least hitting our running back at the same time as the handoff. We did not seem to make any changes. Counterpoint - at the beginning of the 2nd half, we cam out running with success. They - Troy seemed to make a few changes and slowed us down. I am not a coach - however we at least need to show wrinkles during the game to at least keep the other team honest. Also, it seemed every pitch and catch was contested by Troy. Not the same for us.

Maybe we where gassed in the 2nd half and need depth. I am not sure. Hope is that we continue to grow as a team and build on 2023 in 2024.

MtnMan14

Unread post by MtnMan14 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:32 pm

PhillyApp1 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:09 pm
One last post.
Was it me or did we revert to the same offensive play calling that got us to 3-4?
And having to play from behind on a rainy day that might affect passing, with a Troy defense that stops the run.

Bad gameplan or poorly executed?

Thanks
And Go App.... Beat Miami, Oh
Felt like the defense did the same. Didn’t notice Spellman out there making plays like he had been. I’m not even sure he played. From someone without all the Xs and Os football knowledge, it felt a lot like we went back to early season tendencies.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:43 pm

The offense definitely adapted after halftime. The App OL was double-teaming the nose, which allowed more run-game success in the third quarter.

At the end, Troy made a mistake and App only got a field goal. Then App made a mistake and Troy got a touchdown. And then it snowballed as both lines were getting whupped.

Just got beat by a better team.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:16 am

Our staff seems to be oblivious to the pertinent success rate statistics of our running game into the strength of our opponents in crucial situations. We can see it, why can't they? How many games have hinged on those decisions. The game at Coastal last year is indelibly etched into my mind late in that game when we ran straight at their defensive tackle who ended up at Michigan this year, who stuffed us twice on 3rd and 4th downs. We may have had a few successes, but the times that don't work seem to be much more.
Last edited by Black Saturday on Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
BLACK SATURDAY

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:25 am

Black Saturday wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:16 am
Our staff seems to be oblivious to the pertinent success rate statistics of our running game into the strength of our opponents in crucial situations. We can see it, why can't they? How many games have hinged on those decisions. The game at Coastal last year is indelibly etched into my mind late in that game when we ran straight at their defensive tackle who ended up at Michigan this year, who stuffed us twice on 3rd and 4th downs.
Maybe what you see isn’t the correct assumption.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:26 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:25 am
Black Saturday wrote:
Our staff seems to be oblivious to the pertinent success rate statistics of our running game into the strength of our opponents in crucial situations. We can see it, why can't they? How many games have hinged on those decisions. The game at Coastal last year is indelibly etched into my mind late in that game when we ran straight at their defensive tackle who ended up at Michigan this year, who stuffed us twice on 3rd and 4th downs.
I'm certain you can enlighten me.
BLACK SATURDAY

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:28 am

Black Saturday wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:26 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
I'm 100% sure the App coaches aren't ignoring the statistics. I'm not sure those specific statistics exist. And regardless of what the statistics say, and which plays you call, the coaches can't MAKE the players execute. There's just way too many variables on any given play to say that it's all the coaches' fault when a play doesn't work.
Maybe an o-lineman didn't block properly, or a d-linemen perfectly executed, or the running back was supposed to run away from the strength of the defense, didn't see an opening, and turned the other way. Maybe the grass was wet. Maybe someone's shoes weren't tight enough. Maybe someone had a momentary lapse and was thinking about his girlfriend. Again, there's just too many variables on any given play to point to a half dozen plays and say, "this is proof the coaches don't know what they're doing."

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:32 am

Our defensive front really has overachieved this season. At our level of competition you really can't stop good running teams with 250 pound nose tackles.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:36 am

We don’t have the personnel to run power up the middle. We do have the players run a quick slant in those situations.

Troy did, we could have the perfect defense called to stop their power run and we just couldn’t stop it.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:01 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:36 am
We don’t have the personnel to run power up the middle. We do have the players run a quick slant in those situations.

Troy did, we could have the perfect defense called to stop their power run and we just couldn’t stop it.
We were able to somewhat limit them early, but those big olinemen just wore us down. That goes to everything already said in this thread - more size, more depth, more strength. Here’s hoping the portal helps us out with all of that. It would really only take 1 or two pieces to make the defense a real beast of a unit. Get a second high performing NT and a real lockdown corner/db on the field, and it’s probably a different outcome last Saturday.
Give 'em hell!

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:49 am

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:32 am
Our defensive front really has overachieved this season. At our level of competition you really can't stop good running teams with 250 pound nose tackles.
Agree. A bit under the radar, but I think Coach Cabral is one of the best hires Coach Clark and Sloan have made. Great coach that gets absolutely everything out of his guys. His guys love him, seems to be a great recruiter, and an all around good dude. Now keep him up here long enough to get eagle stench off of him, and we can adopt him into the family :lol:

GO APPS!!

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:55 am

Didn't we lose a couple of bigger run stuffing nose tackles before the season started? We aren't Georgia with 4 star behemoths standing on the sidelines waiting to play. If we have two 290 lb dudes go down it's tough. We have the 260 lb freshman who needs to bulk up by 25-30 pounds and play as a sophomore.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:55 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
My response is to the “We can see it, why can’t they” comment. The comment reads as if to say that you know more than the coaches and they are being either stubborn or not very good. We all love the sport of football. We all want our team to do well. And to some degree, we all understand the basics of the game. But I’ve never assumed that a coach that is a paid professional as an occupation, knows less than me. So instead of saying “we can see it, why can’t they”, try “Wonder why we keep running up the middle or making these play calls. What am I missing? What am I not understanding?”

“Be curious, not judgemental.” - Ted Lasso

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:21 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:55 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
My response is to the “We can see it, why can’t they” comment. The comment reads as if to say that you know more than the coaches and they are being either stubborn or not very good. We all love the sport of football. We all want our team to do well. And to some degree, we all understand the basics of the game. But I’ve never assumed that a coach that is a paid professional as an occupation, knows less than me. So instead of saying “we can see it, why can’t they”, try “Wonder why we keep running up the middle or making these play calls. What am I missing? What am I not understanding?”

“Be curious, not judgemental.” - Ted Lasso
To be an ass
I am curious what the F ing answer is seeing the same shit for 2 years.....😁 and failing .... during important times of a game and season..... I AM CURIOUS.
If one coach could answer this question, people want to know.... please

My TV almost got an object thrown at it 😀

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:36 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:25 pm
Boonegoon wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:10 pm
Longrifle28 wrote:
If it was RPO the TE was wide open.
The TE is almost always open in this situation. Quick pass is an almost automatic first down. Especially if the D is totally expecting a run up the middle (and why wouldn't they
expect that?)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”