To Kick Rather Than To Receive

CVAPP
School: Appalachian State

Re: To Kick Rather Than To Receive

Unread post by CVAPP » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:03 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
CVAPP wrote:Nope, not unless my ears are failing me. They do broadcast the coin toss.
Just so I understand you correctly - You are saying App won the toss and "elected" to kick? - If that's what you are saying you are wrong - In that scenario then Elon would have had the choice to begin the 2nd half and they would not have chosen to kick off but to receive - I truly believe you are mistaken ---
I may be and there's certainly a chance there's more technicality and nuance to a coin toss than I understand, but, you win the coin toss and you can make sure you are on the receiving end of the initial kick off. Right?
Last edited by CVAPP on Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:05 pm

CVAPP wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
CVAPP wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:The way of the momentum and flow of the game was going, I was glad to be getting the ball to begin the second half.
Hindsight is always 20/20. BTW, if I recall correctly, we went 3 and out on our first possession in the 3rd.
Sorry I wasn't clear but that was my foresight thought at the end of the first half. However, it didn't turn out like I had hoped. I actually thought we'd open the floodgates on them in the second half.
My point being there's nothing wrong with opening the flood gates on an opponent from the get go. We gave Elon a chance to gain confidence. No need for that.
I wouldn't want Elon to have scored with no time (or little time) left in the half, and then give them the ball to start the third quarter. I've seen 14-0 leads evaporate to become 14-14 ties in under a "minute" on the game clock, without a true "change" of possession, or mistake made.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:16 pm

CVAPP wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:We deferred, not chose to kickoff. The difference being that by allowing Elon to choose to kick or receive, we pick which end to defend. Another reason for deferring is to seize momentum. If the deferring team scores just before the half, they will then retain the ball to start the 2nd half. This thought process potentially allows for a 14 point swing,
Wrong, we won the toss and elected to kick the ball.
You are correct, we did win the toss, however, I beleive that JJ told the referee that we will defer. The video/audio is not on the archive yet so until then, we can't listen. Iirc, Randy Jackson begins to comment at the time and makes it difficult to hear the ref.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:46 pm

CVAPP wrote:Nope, not unless my ears are failing me. They do broadcast the coin toss.
Sorry CVAPP but you might need to get those ears checked. We won the toss and deferred. JJ said defer and Randy J confirmed it.

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:11 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
CVAPP wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:We deferred, not chose to kickoff. The difference being that by allowing Elon to choose to kick or receive, we pick which end to defend. Another reason for deferring is to seize momentum. If the deferring team scores just before the half, they will then retain the ball to start the 2nd half. This thought process potentially allows for a 14 point swing,
Wrong, we won the toss and elected to kick the ball.
You are correct, we did win the toss, however, I beleive that JJ told the referee that we will defer. The video/audio is not on the archive yet so until then, we can't listen. Iirc, Randy Jackson begins to comment at the time and makes it difficult to hear the ref.
You either want the ball or you don't. I still don't understand how this is complicated when you win the toss.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:29 pm

It is common practice, especially in college, for the team winning the coin toss to defer their choice to the second half. If the team winning the toss elects to kick, then the opponent will get the opening kickoff as well as the second half kickoff. If the team winning the toss elects to defer, as we did on Saturday, then the opponent will receive the opening kickoff and the team winning the toss will receive the second half kickoff.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:37 pm

CVAPP wrote: You either want the ball or you don't. I still don't understand how this is complicated when you win the toss.
By deferring, its a de facto choice to kick the ball..

The rule is, if you chose what you want to do on the opening kick off, then the other team gets to choose what they want to do to start the second half.

So, if we chose the kick instead of deferring, then Elon would have got the choice to kick or receive in the second half and obviously, would choose the receive.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:39 pm

appst89 wrote:It is common practice, especially in college, for the team winning the coin toss to defer their choice to the second half. If the team winning the toss elects to kick, then the opponent will get the opening kickoff as well as the second half kickoff. If the team winning the toss elects to defer, as we did on Saturday, then the opponent will receive the opening kickoff and the team winning the toss will receive the second half kickoff.
Thank you for that explanation. Now, are you a fan of deferring?

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:43 pm

CVAPP wrote:
appst89 wrote:It is common practice, especially in college, for the team winning the coin toss to defer their choice to the second half. If the team winning the toss elects to kick, then the opponent will get the opening kickoff as well as the second half kickoff. If the team winning the toss elects to defer, as we did on Saturday, then the opponent will receive the opening kickoff and the team winning the toss will receive the second half kickoff.
It depends on the team. If we had a team with a dominating defense, then yes, I would favor deferring to let the defense set the tone. With the team we have this year, I am not a fan of deferring. I'd rather have the offense set the tone.

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:48 pm

appst89 wrote:
CVAPP wrote:
It depends on the team. If we had a team with a dominating defense, then yes, I would favor deferring to let the defense set the tone. With the team we have this year, I am not a fan of deferring. I'd rather have the offense set the tone.
So we agree, weather permitting.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:52 pm

Yeah, we agree, but I can't remember the last time we won a toss and didn't defer.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:54 pm

This is the 4th time I have tried to post - don't know why it keeps disappearing -

If Team A wins the toss they have 4 options -
1. to receive
2. to defend a goal
3. to kickoff
4. to defer

If Team A Chooses option 1,2, or 3 then Team B gets its choice of the one or two remaining options and also gets to choose from option 1,2 or 3 to begin the 2nd half ---

However, if Team A DEFERS, then Team B gets to choose from options 1, 2 or 3 and all the steps above are reversed ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:57 pm

That's among the reasons I thought this worthy of discussion. I seem to remember we seldomed deferred on a won coin toss back in the dynasty days.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:00 pm

CVAPP wrote:That's among the reasons I thought this worthy of discussion. I seem to remember we seldomed deferred on a won coin toss back in the dynasty days.
My memory may be off, but I don't recall us ever taking the ball when we won the toss.

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:05 pm

appst89 wrote:
CVAPP wrote:That's among the reasons I thought this worthy of discussion. I seem to remember we seldomed deferred on a won coin toss back in the dynasty days.
My memory may be off, but I don't recall us ever taking the ball when we won the toss.
I can remember fondly hearing our captain(s) say "we want the ball".

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:13 pm

appst89 wrote:
sorry I could be wrong on this as well however when AE was clicking I think we almost always took the ball first ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:35 pm

Personally, I'd rather have the ball to start the second half. If you defer and the other team scores on their first possession, you still have the whole game to recover.

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:39 pm

AppinATL wrote:Personally, I'd rather have the ball to start the second half. If you defer and the other team scores on their first possession, you still have the whole game to recover.
Yep. You set your own tone.

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:47 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
appst89 wrote:
sorry I could be wrong on this as well however when AE was clicking I think we almost always took the ball first ---

I believe you are correct. Those teams were about as unstoppable as any football team I've ever seen. We would score in about a minute and a half frequently. Early and often! When you have a machine like that, then yes, go ahead and take the opening kickoff and punch the opponent right in the mouth right away and let them know just what they've gotten themselves in to.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:13 am

This thread needs to be taken out back and shot.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”