who will have a big year?

appstcyclist

who will have a big year?

Unread post by appstcyclist » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:05 pm

I'm curious which players people believe will have a big year this year? I think we could see Malachi Jones really produce as a receiver this year. I also believe Marcus Cox will come back strong.

MDaniels84
School: Appalachian State

Re: who will have a big year?

Unread post by MDaniels84 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:54 am

I am looking at our entire front lines (Offense and Defense) to have a stellar campaign. I think that they will represent our greatest strides from one year ago. I look for Marcus Cox to have another strong season but maybe more limited carries if Terrance Upshaw is anything like he is being touted to be.
As far as new comers on offense, I look for good things from Nikia Cathey and Deltron Hopkins. They are both small but explosive.
On defense, I think some key newcomers could be Okon Godwin at linebacker and Curtis Benton playing either outside backer or defensive end.
Really looking forward to this season.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:29 am

Print off the two deep precamp and then for Michigan, this is going to be a very competitive camp.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:44 am

Hope you are right about Malachi. I am actually not as concerned about receiver depth as some, but my bigger worry is who will step up to be those true #1 and #2 receivers. Malachi seems like the best bet, though it looks pretty wide open.

On defense, I'm expecting a big year from John Law.

IGgreer

Unread post by IGgreer » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:44 am

John Law.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:48 am

I think the DL could have a great year. Two of the bottom three teams in per-game tackles for loss in 2013 are on our schedule: 1. Idaho 9.92 2. FIU 8.83 3. Michigan 8.77 (source: Phil Steel).

We didn't have much of pass rush last year, which is my main concern up front, but I think that could change this season. Deuce is a senior this year. He and Adam Scott led the D last year in TFL with 7 and 8.5 respectively. I want to see Tyson Fernandez in the backfield this year. That is a BIG dude.

APPARJ

Unread post by APPARJ » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:02 am

Saint3333 wrote:Print off the two deep precamp and then for Michigan, this is going to be a very competitive camp.
Lee Wright, AJ Howard and Terrance Upshaw will all have big years, IMO. Wright is a physical freak of nature and Howard hits as hard as anyone else in practice. Looking back at some of our "money" games (UF and VT) we really lacked the ability to HIT in the backfield. I think with guys like Gilchrist, Wright, Howard and Stringer we'll see a much better tackling effort.

Also, while I am very optimistic about our team, I do not think the Michigan game will be competitive.

That being said, all I want is to avoid the kind of embarrassing thrashing that we experienced in 2011 at Virginia Tech. That was an epic beat down that I would prefer to never go through again.
Image ImageImage
ImageImage

appstcyclist

Unread post by appstcyclist » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:14 am

I like hearing people say our Dline should be much improved. That will be important this year. I hope all the rumors about our Oline being much better is true. If its true that we redshirted several big guys last year that could have started we could see a much improved offense.

bigCasu

Unread post by bigCasu » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:24 am

appstcyclist wrote:I like hearing people say our Dline should be much improved. That will be important this year. I hope all the rumors about our Oline being much better is true. If its true that we redshirted several big guys last year that could have started we could see a much improved offense.
Any improvement on the defensive line will be helpful. That all comes down to how Ronald Blair adjusts after basically missing a year. We cannot have another year where our primary pass rusher is Duece Robinson. Sun Belt will eat us alive if that is the case.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:56 am

bigCasu wrote:
appstcyclist wrote:I like hearing people say our Dline should be much improved. That will be important this year. I hope all the rumors about our Oline being much better is true. If its true that we redshirted several big guys last year that could have started we could see a much improved offense.
Any improvement on the defensive line will be helpful. That all comes down to how Ronald Blair adjusts after basically missing a year. We cannot have another year where our primary pass rusher is Duece Robinson. Sun Belt will eat us alive if that is the case.
I for about Blair. How has his health looked this summer?

ASUGoose

Unread post by ASUGoose » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:16 pm

Offense - Looking to Tacoi Sumler for a breakout season (as long as he can stay healthy). All the hype coming from Oregon as a 4 star recruit, I'm looking for big things from him in combo with Simms and Malachi out there. Speed kills :D

Defense - The entire defensive front. Quite often last year we couldn't stop the run or get pressure on the QB. Looking for guys like Deuce, Blair, Tyson, etc. to step up and play big. Then the defense can get off the field where App can put pressure on the opposing defense with our up-tempo offense :D

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:55 pm

It might be making too much out of it, but I don't know. We're playing 7 opponents we've never played before. One was in 2007. One we played once before, one we played twice in 2000, one we played once in 1930 and the other we played last I think in 2001. And the other is GSU-Statesboro and they have an entirely new offense. And it's at a different level than before. No idea how different players will react. Plus, many positions are still wide open. No one would have predicted Cox last year.

If I had to guess, I'll say Tyson Fernandez. He needs to have a big year if we're going to win games.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”