Bowl Game

hotrod2001
School: Appalachian State

Re: Bowl Game

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:11 am

NIU just took down Toledo. Now sure how that shakes things up but I woudl think it does to an extent.

SayYesToTheRock

Unread post by SayYesToTheRock » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:45 am

Toledo's loss means that NIU (6-3) now has the inside track to the MAC Championship game, likely vs Bowling Green. The odds of us being selected for the Peach Bowl over NIU (10-3 if they win out) are slightly better than they would have been against a 12-0 Toledo team.

It doesn't do anything about Memphis, Temple, or Houston, though.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:19 am

From what I'm reading, at this point (if we win the Conference Title), we would face either Toledo or Bowling Green in the Go Daddy Bowl. Still a lot of football to play, anything could happen.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:58 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
APPARJ wrote:We discusses the bowl situation this week on the Black & Gold Podcast.

As crazy as it seems the GoDaddy, Camellia and New Orleans bowls would potentially take Ark St, S. Alabama and UL-La respectively if given the opportunity regardless of who won the Sun Belt.

As for the Cure Bowl, Georgia Southern is far closer to Orlando than App State so we could get stung there as well. I mean, if GaSo wins the rest of their schedule and goes 10-2 and we win the Sun Belt and go 11-1 (or even 10-2), why would the Cure Bowl choose a fan base that's literally double the distance from the bowl location? I don't know the answer to that question. Obviously if it was me, I'd choose App State because I believe we'd show up and be loud while being much classier than the Stink and their crowd.

We're definitely in new territory now. The FCS postseason was all about merit. Go 10-1 and you get a bye week and top seed for a seemingly easier path to the championship game.

FBS is more business minded. For example, the New Orleans Bowl may very well select a 6-6 UL-La team over "potential" 11-1 App State team. In fact, that may be likely. But I'm not the expert here.

The GoDaddy Bowl has selected Arkansas St. for the last 4 years. Memphis (Ark St's version of Charlotte) is a 6 hour drive from Mobile vs. a 9 hour drive from Charlotte. Not much difference but you have to figure that, unless we're missing something, GoDaddy may be inclined to stick with a sure thing than go with a fan base that's even farther away for a Wednesday night game. Like I said, I'm speculating the possibilities.

So basically I just wrote a bunch of stuff that essentially amounts to: I don't know what's going to happen.
First off, no way all those bowls would pass on an 10- or 11-win App team.

Secondly, if Southern goes 10-2, that means they beat UGA. Not impossible, but a stretch. And if it happens, I doubt both Alabama bowls pass on them (remember both are ahead of Orlando in the pecking order). Not sure they would pass on them at 9-3 either.

Driving distance is one factor, but not the only factor. App and Southern both travel well. The league office will be involved in the selections, and you can bet they won't want their new top dogs getting the shaft. A 6-6 USA getting picked while a 9, 10 or 11 win team gets left home would be an embarrassment.

And while it won't be their top priority, I imagine ESPN will have some input as well. Though that could hurt the Cure Bowl since it's one of the few that isn't on ESPN.

Not at all out of the realm of possibility that Stink can't beat UGA. I hate to say it but I lean toward at least 50-50. UGA is not very good.
As much as I hate to say it, I agree. Most of my family are Georgia alums / fans, and I grew up pulling for the Dawgs. I still pull for them (when not playing App, of course) but the Dawgs have imploded this year. Since Chubb got injurred, they are showing no offense at all. Georgia Southern has lucked into a sweet opportunity to pull of their dream win.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:02 am

SayYesToTheRock wrote:Toledo's loss means that NIU (6-3) now has the inside track to the MAC Championship game, likely vs Bowling Green. The odds of us being selected for the Peach Bowl over NIU (10-3 if they win out) are slightly better than they would have been against a 12-0 Toledo team.

It doesn't do anything about Memphis, Temple, or Houston, though.
Still a lot left to sort out in the MAC West. Northern Illinois also has a division loss, to Central Michigan, who is 4-1 in the division (along with Toledo and NIU). Meanwhile Western Michigan is 4-0. No telling who's coming out of that division yet.

But the end result is as you said - the AAC is way out in front of everyone else.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:17 am

I definitely think that the SBC needs to make some revisions to the pecking order of the aligned Bowls. It makes absolutely NO sense for the New Orleans Bowl to get first pick when they demonstrate a clear preference for picking the local team. Let them have their little "relationship" with ULL and let a true SBC Champion desitnation be identified.

The Cure Bowl would be a good choice, but in order for it to get the Championship pick from the Sun Belt, I think they need to work out a better (higher) pick from the other side. I would NOT want to see the champship team from the SBC automatically facing teh #7 AAC team (or mid level team from ANY conference for that matter). The GoDaddy Bowl alreayd has a nice alignment from the MAC but needs to change it time slot (probably an easier fix).

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:15 pm

rbarthle17 wrote:
AppfaninCAALand wrote:The Sun Belt champ is guaranteed a spot in either NO or Mobile
You sure about that? All I have seen says the champ is guaranteed a spot in a bowl. None of the bowls have to take the champ if they have other options within the SB to them.
As far as I know, it's not official policy, but I was speaking more figuratively. In practice, the champ goes to one of those bowls because the champ is guaranteed a bowl and they were the only bowls until last year. They also get first and second pick. I do think I read somewhere that the champ is supposed to go to the GoDaddy Bowl unless the NO Bowl wants them first.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:49 am

What do you suppose could happen if both Troy and UL become bowl eligible? Would they they be picked up by the local bowls? If A State wins the conference they are guaranteed a spot. Would the Cure bowl take us over Ga Southern? Suppose we drop a game or two?

Interesting how the discussion has changed.

bh2oson

Unread post by bh2oson » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:52 am

hapapp wrote:What do you suppose could happen if both Troy and UL become bowl eligible? Would they they be picked up by the local bowls? If A State wins the conference they are guaranteed a spot. Would the Cure bowl take us over Ga Southern? Suppose we drop a game or two?

This would be a bad scenario. Amazing how one game can change the landscape
bh2oson aka Bill Waterson

boonetown1

Unread post by boonetown1 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:58 am

If we go to the cure bowl, don't count on us playing ECU. They're 4-6 and will probably split their last two. See, it could be a lot worse for us....

Also, could be a good recruiting tool as we compete with them on many recruits. If we go bowling and they don't that is.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:05 am

hapapp wrote:What do you suppose could happen if both Troy and UL become bowl eligible? Would they they be picked up by the local bowls? If A State wins the conference they are guaranteed a spot. Would the Cure bowl take us over Ga Southern? Suppose we drop a game or two?

If we were to drop the rest of our games, and Troy and ULL got bowl eligible, I think there is a very high probability that we would be on the outside looking in. At 9-3 or 10-2, I just don't see how we could be passed over. At 8-4 or 7-5, I could easily see it happening.

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:37 pm

appst89 wrote:

If we were to drop the rest of our games, and Troy and ULL got bowl eligible, I think there is a very high probability that we would be on the outside looking in. At 9-3 or 10-2, I just don't see how we could be passed over. At 8-4 or 7-5, I could easily see it happening.
there are so many bowls this year the committees are already freaking out that there won't be enough bowl eligible teams.

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:38 pm

diehardapp18 wrote:
appst89 wrote:

there are so many bowls this year the committees are already freaking out that there won't be enough bowl eligible teams.

e: also Troy could at best finish 6-6 while at worst we finish 7-5 plus we beat them no way they get chosen over us lol

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:38 pm

diehardapp18 wrote:
diehardapp18 wrote:
appst89 wrote:

e: also Troy could at best finish 6-6 while at worst we finish 7-5 plus we beat them no way they get chosen over us lol

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:41 pm

diehardapp18 wrote:
diehardapp18 wrote:
appst89 wrote:

Bowl selection has very little to do with taking the best team. I still think it is likely that we go bowling regardless of our record, but it is not difficult to imagine a scenario where a bowl committee takes a team we beat because they believe that team might bring more people.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:15 pm

diehardapp18 wrote:
diehardapp18 wrote:
diehardapp18 wrote:
appst89 wrote:

Remember Troy is in Alabama, site of two of the four SBC bowls. Obviously, as we sit here at 7-2, we are in much better shape than Troy is as far bowl eligibility. However, things could change over the next three games.

TractorApp

Unread post by TractorApp » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:35 pm

On the Camelia Bowl website, Troy is listed as a sponser of the game. Hope they don't get six wins.

asucrutch23

Unread post by asucrutch23 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:56 pm

I hope Troy and ULL get bowl eligible and are picked over us.

There are not going to be enough 6-6 teams, meaning we would get picked up by a better bowl. The Sun Belt bowls are bottom of the barrel. The Big Ten, Big 12, and ACC are all unlikely to fill their spots, which would put us in one of their bottom bowls if the SBC bowls take other teams.

I'd take a trip to Detroit to play a P5 or Dallas to play CUSA over Montgomery any day.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:26 pm

We should be able to chalk up our game with Idaho as a win as they only won over Wofford by 3 points. That would make us finish with at least 8 wins.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:28 pm

NewApp wrote:We should be able to chalk up our game with Idaho as a win as they only won over Wofford by 3 points. That would make us finish with at least 8 wins.
That has little to do with our game with them. We are both different teams from that time of the season.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”