Thanks CBS Sports, but…..

NewApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Thanks CBS Sports, but…..

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:56 am

goapps93 wrote:He did play guard, and pretty well. I'm guessing it's more a matter of leadership and calling the plays for the line, still learning to read the defense. Many teams list a backup center but when the starter goes down will instead move another starting lineman to center. There's a heckuva lot more to playing center than just snapping the ball to the QB at waist/chest level.

Very true, goapps93.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

MtnDevil95

Unread post by MtnDevil95 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:05 am

goapps93 wrote:He did play guard, and pretty well. I'm guessing it's more a matter of leadership and calling the plays for the line, still learning to read the defense. Many teams list a backup center but when the starter goes down will instead move another starting lineman to center. There's a heckuva lot more to playing center than just snapping the ball to the QB at waist/chest level.

This is very true. My father-in-law played center in college in the 60's and in the CFL in the 70's, and while the line game is fairly different in Canada, there is a lot going on for the center who is typically the leader of the o-line. He's told me about barking out blocking scheme changes, and hand/touch signals he'd pass to his guards just before getting into the pre-snap stance. Tap the hip of the guard means one scheme, the shoulder another. Of course he is very biased, but he'll say with some certainty that the center is, in fact the smartest guy on the offence.
“When you take that field today, you've got to lay that heart on the line, men. From the souls of your feet, with every ounce of blood you've got in your body, lay it on the line until the final whistle blows.”

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:18 am

Everything you guys say about center play is very true and very important. That all makes perfect sense to me. Hopefully we will have the line shored up when we get to Idaho.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:30 am

WVAppsfan wrote:Three turnovers did not help us, on paper we are better than the Redwolves, glas that someone else knows what others here do as well
Flashbacks of Villanova game...... :oops:
BLACK SATURDAY

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:34 am

bigdaddyg wrote:Everything you guys say about center play is very true and very important. That all makes perfect sense to me. Hopefully we will have the line shored up when we get to Idaho.
Watch out for the jet lag. ;)
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Appsolutely

Unread post by Appsolutely » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:56 am

I think most of us realize that a center has more responsibilities than snapping the ball and blocking.
But what good is reading the defense and calling out the correct OL scheme if you can't get the freaking ball to the QB?
"I’ve always said the program is bigger than me, any one player or any one coach."--Scott Satterfield

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:56 am

Appsolutely wrote:I think most of us realize that a center has more responsibilities than snapping the ball and blocking.
But what good is reading the defense and calling out the correct OL scheme if you can't get the freaking ball to the QB?
None at all, as we've seen several times over the years since we went to the spread.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:23 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
WVAppsfan wrote:Three turnovers did not help us, on paper we are better than the Redwolves, glas that someone else knows what others here do as well
Flashbacks of Villanova game...... :oops:
NO - NO - NO --- NOT THE V WORD
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Rick0714

Unread post by Rick0714 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:42 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
So a kid we signed as a center (did he play center in HS?) can't snap the ball? Is this more of a matter of nerves? If he can't play center but can block he needs to be moved to guard. Hopefully we won't be so shuffled up front that we can't block.
He did not play center in high school, G, DT and NG. Played as a DT in Shrine Bowl I believe. We have a two deep, but often, even in the NFL, the true back-up at an o-line position will be someone slated on the two-deep somewhere else. For example, when Davante goes out, Beau would slide from RT to LT, even though Johnson is listed on the two-deep at LT, and when Beau went down at RT, Gossett slid over from LG and Collmar came in at LG. Its pretty common, just trying to get the best 5 on the field. TEC is better at G but Collmar and Counts are the better back-ups so he wouldn't show on the two-deep. With Nunn out for an extended time period and Chapman more than likely the same, it will be interesting if we keep listing them on the two-deep.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”