Re: Bowl Season

Unread post by 704App » Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:52 am

bcoach wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:41 am
704App wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:30 am
goapps93 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:22 am
I think it’s funny when coaches criticize the portal yet they still pull players from it. They are part of the “they” that they are constantly criticizing.

The extended “playoff” will further diminish the remaining bowls. Might as well do away with them.
You can think it's dumb but also realize that's the only way you're going to stay employed in today's game.

Obviously it's a different sport and apples to oranges, but I believe it was John Kruk that said that's the reason steroids took off in baseball. They didn't control for so long, that was the only way felt like you could keep your job. You may not agree with doing it, but everybody else was doing it and they were going to surpass you so you didn't really have an option.

Same thing here -- you might absolutely hate it but also know you're out of a job if you don't use it.
Again the root of the problem is money.
I mean, I guess technically. But, to me, for the coaches, it seems it's more about keeping your job so you can continue keeping a roof over your head and feeding your family more so than money. I don't think I have seen/heard one coach say the like how it's set up, but I have seen/heard several of the big time names say they hate it and it needs to change.

But, it is certainly all about money for NCAA!

bcoach
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:55 am

I understand that we no longer believe in commitment but there is a solution to this sitting out problem. Problem is we no longer believe in commitment so folks just don't want to solve the problem.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:01 pm

704App wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:52 am
bcoach wrote:
704App wrote:
goapps93 wrote:
I think it’s funny when coaches criticize the portal yet they still pull players from it. They are part of the “they” that they are constantly criticizing.

The extended “playoff” will further diminish the remaining bowls. Might as well do away with them.
You can think it's dumb but also realize that's the only way you're going to stay employed in today's game.

Obviously it's a different sport and apples to oranges, but I believe it was John Kruk that said that's the reason steroids took off in baseball. They didn't control for so long, that was the only way felt like you could keep your job. You may not agree with doing it, but everybody else was doing it and they were going to surpass you so you didn't really have an option.

Same thing here -- you might absolutely hate it but also know you're out of a job if you don't use it.
I mean, I guess technically. But, to me, for the coaches, it seems it's more about keeping your job so you can continue keeping a roof over your head and feeding your family more so than money. I don't think I have seen/heard one coach say the like how it's set up, but I have seen/heard several of the big time names say they hate it and it needs to change.

Well here is my take. When it comes to trying to save a $150,000 a year job VS a $1,000,000 + job there is a huge difference. There are hundreds of thousands of 150 jobs and not neaqrly as many multimillion jobs. They may not like it but they are going to do whatever it takes to keep the big bucks. Again the biggest problem with sports today is money.

704App

Unread post by 704App » Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:10 pm

bcoach wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:01 pm
704App wrote:
bcoach wrote:
704App wrote:
goapps93 wrote:

Well here is my take. When it comes to trying to save a $150,000 a year job VS a $1,000,000 + job there is a huge difference. There are hundreds of thousands of 150 jobs and not neaqrly as many multimillion jobs. They may not like it but they are going to do whatever it takes to keep the big bucks. Again the biggest problem with sports today is money.
Well, sure, but their career is what it is. You can't penalize them for choosing that career and wanting to stay in said career. Yes, they make a lot of money, but it's also a very small field that only a select few can do successfully.

$150k is like $1mil+ to many.

I do agree the biggest problem in sports is money. But, the reason there's so much money is because we still keep watching like idiots!

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:12 pm

704App wrote:
bcoach wrote:
704App wrote:
goapps93 wrote:

I’m sure the first thing Kirby Smart thinks about in the morning is how he is going to keep a roof over his head and feed his family. If one is not part of the solution, one is part of the problem.
WE ARE YOSEF!

704App

Unread post by 704App » Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:19 pm

goapps93 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:12 pm
704App wrote:
bcoach wrote:
704App wrote:
goapps93 wrote:

I’m sure the first thing Kirby Smart thinks about in the morning is how he is going to keep a roof over his head and feed his family. If one is not part of the solution, one is part of the problem.
So it's the coaches fault the schools are making money hand over fist to be able to afford a higher salary? It's not like Kirby went to UGA and said "You are required to hire me because I say so!" UGA employees Kirby to navigate the college athletics environment and win games.

The blame is not on the coaches, or University's, at this point. They also do not like it. What's a coach/program supposed to do? Shut the program down and put his players in a bad spot? No, he has to continue doing his job -- that's what he was hired to do. And he has to do it with any challenges presented -- whether you agree with said challenges are not. Because if Kirby doesn't do that job, somebody else will.

And for every one Kirby in the college athletics world, there are 20 no names living on $5k a year actually navigating the crappy waters. Those are the ones I am referring to about keeping roofs over heads and food in families mouths.

Same thing anybody has to deal with in any career. I doubt any of us like 100% of policy's in our careers. But, if another company (team) in your industry says "hey, I see what you're doing over there and really like it. We are going to quadruple your salary to come over here," and the market rate confirms that is the top range in your industry so you're obviously seen as a top dog, are you going to say no? Maybe you personally would, but I don't believe for one second majority would.

The blame is 100% on NCAA being money hungry.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:31 pm

704App wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:19 pm
goapps93 wrote:
704App wrote:
bcoach wrote:
704App wrote:

So it's the coaches fault the schools are making money hand over fist to be able to afford a higher salary? It's not like Kirby went to UGA and said "You are required to hire me because I say so!" UGA employees Kirby to navigate the college athletics environment and win games.

The blame is not on the coaches, or University's, at this point. They also do not like it. What's a coach/program supposed to do? Shut the program down and put his players in a bad spot? No, he has to continue doing his job -- that's what he was hired to do. And he has to do it with any challenges presented -- whether you agree with said challenges are not. Because if Kirby doesn't do that job, somebody else will.

And for every one Kirby in the college athletics world, there are 20 no names living on $5k a year actually navigating the crappy waters. Those are the ones I am referring to about keeping roofs over heads and food in families mouths.

Same thing anybody has to deal with in any career. I doubt any of us like 100% of policy's in our careers.

$5k per year? Who is only making $5k per year?

The schools are making money hand over fist, but it’s the NCAA who is money hungry and 100% to blame? I don’t understand.

The NCAA is made up of the schools. It’s not some third-party organization.

In reality, the SEC and Big Ten are football cartels. As is the case with cartels, the rich will get richer and the poor will get shit upon.
WE ARE YOSEF!

704App

Unread post by 704App » Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:37 pm

goapps93 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:31 pm
704App wrote:
goapps93 wrote:
704App wrote:
bcoach wrote:

Same thing anybody has to deal with in any career. I doubt any of us like 100% of policy's in our careers.

The schools are making money hand over fist, but it’s the NCAA who is money hungry and 100% to blame? I don’t understand.

In reality, the SEC and Big Ten are football cartels. As is the case with cartels, the rich will get richer and the poor will get shit upon.
Remember, NCAA covers more than P5 sports....

FCS, D2, D3 are all impacted by these rules too. Some of those head coaches aren't even 6 figures. Those support staffs budgets are under 50k.

So, yes, $5k a year is the norm for support staff at those places. I believe it was Napier at Louisiana that had something like 40 support staff under his belt but his budget wasn't a whole lot more than ours and his assistants were making close the same as ours. Those 40 support staff are earning next to nothing but will continue to do it to make a name for themselves in the tiny industry. Now, they're making significantly more at Florida. But, they may not have a job soon if Napier gets fired, so they HAVE to play by these dumb rules whether they like them or not if they want to remain a college football coach as their career path.

Even at App some support staff are around $5k.

And as far as it not being the University's fault -- I am talking about the transfer portal rules, NIL, etc. That is all NCAA. They created 100% of the mess as a way for NCAA to make more money. And now the schools and coaches have to navigate the changes to stay afloat. They may not want to, but it's the only option if they want to stay relevant.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:59 pm

704App wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:37 pm
goapps93 wrote:
704App wrote:
goapps93 wrote:
704App wrote:

FCS, D2, D3 are all impacted by these rules too. Some of those head coaches aren't even 6 figures. Those support staffs budgets are under 50k.

So, yes, $5k a year is the norm for support staff at those places. I believe it was Napier at Louisiana that had something like 40 support staff under his belt but his budget wasn't a whole lot more than ours and his assistants were making close the same as ours. Those 40 support staff are earning next to nothing but will continue to do it to make a name for themselves in the tiny industry. Now, they're making significantly more at Florida. But, they may not have a job soon if Napier gets fired, so they HAVE to play by these dumb rules whether they like them or not if they want to remain a college football coach as their career path.

And as far as it not being the University's fault -- I am talking about the transfer portal rules, NIL, etc. That is all NCAA. They created 100% of the mess as a way for NCAA to make more money. And now the schools and coaches have to navigate the changes to stay afloat. They may not want to, but it's the only option if they want to stay relevant.
Athletes and courts have created the NIL and portal issues. I think something needed to be done to allow athletes to make money from the use of their name, image, and likeness, but it has already gotten out of control and become a monster that will ruin college sports, all college sports.

How does the NCAA make more money because of NIL and transfers? It is a non-profit organization made up of and governed by member institutions.
WE ARE YOSEF!

704App

Unread post by 704App » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:45 pm

goapps93 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:59 pm
704App wrote:
goapps93 wrote:
704App wrote:
goapps93 wrote:

Athletes and courts have created the NIL and portal issues. I think something needed to be done to allow athletes to make money from the use of their name, image, and likeness, but it has already gotten out of control and become a monster that will ruin college sports, all college sports.

How does the NCAA make more money because of NIL and transfers? It is a non-profit organization made up of and governed by member institutions.
Courts created the need to allow for NIL. NCAA's poor implementation of the NIL is doing nothing but making NCAA more money.

Free agency is one of the leading money makers for pro sports in terms of media attention, advertising dollars, sponsorships, etc. NCAA is now getting that revenue it never was before.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:47 pm

704App wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:45 pm
goapps93 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:59 pm
704App wrote:
goapps93 wrote:
704App wrote:

Courts created the need to allow for NIL. NCAA's poor implementation of the NIL is doing nothing but making NCAA more money.

Free agency is one of the leading money makers for pro sports in terms of media attention, advertising dollars, sponsorships, etc. NCAA is now getting that revenue it never was before.
How is NIL making money for the NCAA? Maybe I'm missing something.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:58 pm

goapps93 wrote:

People are playing within the rules of system even if they don’t agree with them. I’m sure we’re all guilty of this is whatever profession we’ve chosen.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:12 pm

Who wants to file a class action suit with me? Got to be a good lawyer willing to swing for the fence out there somewhere.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:15 pm

Like sooo many, many things in this country we always wait till it is too late instead of being proactive. NIL was a very bad idea from day one. It was built on the concept that "schools" were getting super rich off of the athletes and they should get their share. The public who hears one line on the news and then repeats it over and over, went along with it. Judges ( some of the laziest folks in the country ) saw no reason to investigate it and ruled accordingly.
I will love to see how anyone thinks they can get this genie put back in the bottle.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:27 pm

704App wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:10 pm
bcoach wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:01 pm
704App wrote:
bcoach wrote:
704App wrote:

Well, sure, but their career is what it is. You can't penalize them for choosing that career and wanting to stay in said career. Yes, they make a lot of money, but it's also a very small field that only a select few can do successfully.

$150k is like $1mil+ to many.

I do agree the biggest problem in sports is money. But, the reason there's so much money is because we still keep watching like idiots!
My point is that they will do whatever it takes to keep those dollars rolling in. I truly believe they will also expand whatever a lot wider for millions than they would for thousands. Your last two sentences are spot on. We are the fuel that feeds the fire.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:28 pm

I vividly remember a few on this board a few years ago stating how much they supported NIL and that the athletes deserve to get paid because they are so mistreated by the schools making so much money. Well how do you like it now? I never had a problem paying a star if he's representing a corporation in an ad campaign or if he's on a video game but to simply pool random money and dole it out to players is absurd. Teams losing 10-20 guys on rosters every year is crazy.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:46 pm

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:28 pm
I vividly remember a few on this board a few years ago stating how much they supported NIL and that the athletes deserve to get paid because they are so mistreated by the schools making so much money. Well how do you like it now? I never had a problem paying a star if he's representing a corporation in an ad campaign or if he's on a video game but to simply pool random money and dole it out to players is absurd. Teams losing 10-20 guys on rosters every year is crazy.
I'll go on record as saying I have been against NIL in any form whatsoever from day one. It is a very, very bad idea. Now if you want to talk about a small amount paid to EVERY player and trainer in an equal amount I am 100% on board. It could be $500 month or something in that area. NIL though is and always has been a very bad idea.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:35 pm

bcoach wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:46 pm
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:28 pm
I'll go on record as saying I have been against NIL in any form whatsoever from day one. It is a very, very bad idea. Now if you want to talk about a small amount paid to EVERY player and trainer in an equal amount I am 100% on board. It could be $500 month or something in that area. NIL though is and always has been a very bad idea.
Do we still pay a cost of attendance stipend? How much is that per player per year? My stance was that once something like this went into place it would never be equitable. I can't n believe that the average 18-22 year old is genuinely happy for a star teammate who is raking in six figures while he himself gets nothing or almost nothing and is practicing the same amount of time. Publicly guys will say the support crap but privately it's got to be another story.

I wonder why they don't have a formal grant (for need) system in place. Students receive grants all the time that is free money which doesn't have to be paid back. Maybe I just know nothing but why can't the school/athletic department have a pot of free money (grants) that the more needy athletes can apply for?

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:23 pm

NIL in it's basic form I did support - kids getting money for jersey sales, basic stuff if it had been properly regulated from the beginning. As was said earlier - just don't how it can be regulated now -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:27 pm

Take it to congress they can regulate anything.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”