Temple
USF
Navy

And add these teams to Sun Belt West
SMU
Memphis
Tulane
Tulsa

We can still play ULLLLLLw for the championship and automatic NY6 bid.
Honestly, this is the most intriguing idea I’ve seen. We get to play ECU on a yearly basis, and this stiffens the West a little bit so UL doesn’t get to cakewalk into the CCG every year.
Hi Hi Yikas

Appstate88
School: Appalachian State

Re: AAC just lost their big 3

Unread post by Appstate88 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:28 pm

PennywiseEsquire wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:43 pm
Appstate88 wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:06 pm
Just add these teams to Sun Belt East.
ECU
Temple
USF
Navy

And add these teams to Sun Belt West
SMU
Memphis
Tulane
Tulsa

We can still play ULLLLLLw for the championship and automatic NY6 bid.
Honestly, this is the most intriguing idea I’ve seen. We get to play ECU on a yearly basis, and this stiffens the West a little bit so UL doesn’t get to cakewalk into the CCG every year.
App State Sun Belt Conference Eastern Division schedule would look like this each year. Not too bad.

Georgia Southern
Coastal
Georgia State
Troy
ECU
Temple
USF
Navy
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:02 pm

One of the Youtube Big12 "analysts" is making a pitch for the Conference to "go big" at 16 schools , and add Appalachian State to pod with WVA , Cincy and Memphis.

AppStateMtneer

Unread post by AppStateMtneer » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:28 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:02 pm
One of the Youtube Big12 "analysts" is making a pitch for the Conference to "go big" at 16 schools , and add Appalachian State to pod with WVA , Cincy and Memphis.
If it’s what I saw the same guy has Tulane over Houston… don’t put much merit in this

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:11 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:26 pm
The question is do we need to be in the AAC to reach the playoff? TBD playoff expansion changes everything. Same reason why Clemson doesn’t need to be in the SEC or Big10. They can reach the playoff right where they are.
Yes.

Unless we have another year like 2020 where a bunch of schools are inactive, which I doubt will happen. Coastal probably had the most realistic chance but there was no way they would have been considered over Memphis or Cincinnati. AAC will always be that NY6 well unless Boise State or BYU do something spectacular.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:17 pm

ASUPATCH wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:49 am
Per USA Today this morning, this appears to be a done deal. So that leaves us with just one question. AAC or SBC?
Home games against ECU, Navy, and Memphis would be guaranteed to pack the place between fans of both schools. You'd never have nearly that attendance for matchups against USA, TXST, ULM, and Troy. Factor those in along with the planned OOC matches with Liberty, Charlotte, UNC, USC and Marshall, teams which have a good traveling fan base and you've got a very attractive G5 schedule booked in Boone for the foreseeable future.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:17 am

My two cents of what will or is happening.

ESPN is going to try to create the mega g4 conference using the AAC. 16 team with East and West.
Marshall Charlotte App and ECU, Georgia St., ODU, USF, Temple in a division.

I think Georgia Southern gets left behind in the Sunbelt and JMU and Liberty added to the Sunbelt.

ESPN is going to try to add the brands they want from Conf-USA.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:36 am

spacemonkey wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:17 am

ESPN is going to try to create the mega g4 conference using the AAC. 16 team with East and West.

I think Georgia Southern gets left behind in the Sunbelt and JMU and Liberty added to the Sunbelt.

In your opinion, and take App out of the equation since we know how we all feel about them. Are those 7 teams collectively better than the 5 currently in the Sun Belt East? Georgia St is a wash since they would come with us.

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:18 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:36 am
spacemonkey wrote:

In your opinion, and take App out of the equation since we know how we all feel about them. Are those 7 teams collectively better than the 5 currently in the Sun Belt East? Georgia St is a wash since they would come with us.
I'm not the OP to which you posed your question but in my estimation...absolutely. I think you are asking if those 7 schools would be better to play, competition-wise, in football, year in and year out. Right now - the Sun Belt East is the best it's ever been...no doubt. But, for me, it's more about brand recognition and long-term success. I say this not just thinking about football, but all sports. If anything, a re-imagined AAC including those teams mentioned by spacemonkey, would mean that we would really need to step up our game in the Olympic sports, which would admittedly add to our financial challenge.

All that having been said, I'd love the chance to play Marshall and ODU and Temple and USF on the regular, in all sports, and be able to make regular trips to places like the TIdewater and Philly and Tampa. If you can throw Memphis or Navy and some of the hypothetical AAC West teams in there on a regular basis it's a no-brainer. Brand is so important and schools like Memphis and Temple are recognized by not-huge-sports-fans and at that pace, I'd do anything to get away from ULM and USA and Texas Arlington and Arkansas Little Rock.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:35 am

HkyMtneer wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:18 am
AppSt94 wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:

I'm not the OP to which you posed your question but in my estimation...absolutely. I think you are asking if those 7 schools would be better to play, competition-wise, in football, year in and year out. Right now - the Sun Belt East is the best it's ever been...no doubt. But, for me, it's more about brand recognition and long-term success. I say this not just thinking about football, but all sports. If anything, a re-imagined AAC including those teams mentioned by spacemonkey, would mean that we would really need to step up our game in the Olympic sports, which would admittedly add to our financial challenge.

All that having been said, I'd love the chance to play Marshall and ODU and Temple and USF on the regular, in all sports, and be able to make regular trips to places like the TIdewater and Philly and Tampa. If you can throw Memphis or Navy and some of the hypothetical AAC West teams in there on a regular basis it's a no-brainer. Brand is so important and schools like Memphis and Temple are recognized by not-huge-sports-fans and at that pace, I'd do anything to get away from ULM and USA and Texas Arlington and Arkansas Little Rock.
Ok. All fair points and thank you. I get all that. I don’t see it as better football and I don’t see where this group would be any different in bringing casual fans back to the Rock.

Captain Morgan

Unread post by Captain Morgan » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:31 am

HkyMtneer wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:

Very well stated. Pretty much all App brings is football, and some good academics. Basketball may have turned a corner, but it ain't easy being good in North Carolina with the 4 ACC schools. Likewise, I'd love our baseball program to get better, but the Carolinas are a hotbed for good college baseball programs that can recruit the best players....CCU showed it can be done however.

However, we do have a national brand, a fantastic game day experience, a long history of sustained success and a rabid fan base for football.

TV rules America. And football rules TV. That is in our favor. Put App on a national broadcast and we'll draw more viewers than most other G5 schools, and ESPN knows that.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:36 am

All you guys talking about Navy, I do not want another offense like that to play every year.
Bring Your A Game!

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:51 am

huskie3 wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:36 am
All you guys talking about Navy, I do not want another offense like that to play every year.
I bet they go Indy.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:26 pm

AppStateMtneer wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:28 pm
Stonewall wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:02 pm
If it’s what I saw the same guy has Tulane over Houston… don’t put much merit in this
Entertainment purposes only, of course.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:19 pm

One big difference from 2016 and 2021 is that our QB has played them before and will have some since of what to expect.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:18 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:35 am
HkyMtneer wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:

Ok. All fair points and thank you. I get all that. I don’t see it as better football and I don’t see where this group would be any different in bringing casual fans back to the Rock.
To answer your question...I am very happy with the SunBelt. I do think it makes more sense to have local competition to sell more tickets. I hate the idea of a 16 team conference. I wish we had a 9 team conference and played basketball home and away with somewhat local schools. ECU, APP, Charlotte should be in a conference together. I have zero desire to be in a conference with FIU,FAU. USF doesn't excite me a whole lot. I do believe ESPN is trying to put together something with Charlotte and Marshall and I think we (App) are onboard. I hope we don't leave ESPN....we need the mouse to care about our "brand". With Charlotte and ECU alternating, we would have an annual sell-out. If we can sign up a duke, Wake we would have 2 sell-outs(important for season ticket sales).

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:25 pm

hapapp wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:19 pm
One big difference from 2016 and 2021 is that our QB has played them before and will have some since of what to expect.
And our OC has game planned for them.

AppUSMC

Unread post by AppUSMC » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:56 pm

spacemonkey wrote:

The JMU fans seem to think they’re going to the SEC.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:51 pm

I know it's a long shot and probably laughable, but I'm assuming Wichita State isn't a factor in this any is it? They're a full AAC member sans football but the president was hinting at reviving their football/band program a couple of years ago. I'm not sure if anything is happening with that other than they are demolishing their old stadium, but in the event they wanted to move ahead with bringing that program back, that would automatically be an AAC team there in the west? I doubt it's a factor but you never know who out there is nudging who.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:08 pm

hotrod2001 wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:11 pm
APPdiesel wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:26 pm
The question is do we need to be in the AAC to reach the playoff? TBD playoff expansion changes everything. Same reason why Clemson doesn’t need to be in the SEC or Big10. They can reach the playoff right where they are.
Yes.

Unless we have another year like 2020 where a bunch of schools are inactive, which I doubt will happen. Coastal probably had the most realistic chance but there was no way they would have been considered over Memphis or Cincinnati. AAC will always be that NY6 well unless Boise State or BYU do something spectacular.
I completely disagree with this take. The Sun Belt has significantly increased their brand and was the only G5 conference with 2 pre season top 25 teams. Yes, historically the AAC has been the cream but with those schools that were the cream of the AAC leaving, it becomes not much of a football conference. Honestly, what football teams of the remaining 8 do you think are better than App, or Louisiana? Not to mention Ark State, Ga Southern or even Coastal who have all on conference titles (or a share of) within the past 8 years. I give you Memphis and to some degree Navy (more so because of what those kids do for our country) but other than that I just don't see a better football conference. Yeah SMU finally has a pulse and may continue to thrive with name image and likeness but that's about it on the football side. USF, Tulsa and Tulane have a decent season every once and a while but no real history of greatness. ECU would be good simply of in state rivalry but we can get that with OOC games. And Temple rounds it out as a pretty much crappy football program, yes it has had an occasional decent season in recent memory but it has been dreadful the majority of the time. I just don't see that being a better conference because once those 3 teams leave the AAC, the tv contract will go with it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”