Let's beat a dead horse

goapps93

Re: Let's beat a dead horse

Unread post by goapps93 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:24 am

AppGrad78 wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:38 am
Just curious, who are the two App grads on the UNC Board of Governor's?
C. Phillip Bowers, retired Sheriff of Rutherford County.
Lee Barnes, '90, MBA Duke, PHD Fielding Graduate University.
WE ARE YOSEF!

appgrad95&97
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:34 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:43 am
If you don't see how the flag ship is intentionally holding down all institutions (and ours arguably more so than others with the highest % of budget cuts) as an issue and a reason to dislike them, there's not a whole lot to discuss.

If you're willing to look past the evil so you can enjoy good basketball, your opinion is not going to change. That said, now that you have the reason for the hatred (completely outside of the arrogance of their athletics), don't act surprised when people vehemently react to your love of that evil.

It's not one specific thing (med school, athletics, etc.). It's the constant holding us back. It's continuous. They have ruined a once great academic system solely for the benefit of one institution.
That's the case with every flagship university, the one exception might be UCLA. A law school at Appalachian is a terrible idea. This country already has too many law schools, and law school grads tend to donate very little back to the schools they got JDs from. Med schools, all of them, tend to be in or close to big cities and their hospitals (ETSU might be an exception). And it should be pointed out that Appalachian has gotten record appropriations from the legislature the past three years.

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:46 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:34 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
If you don't see how the flag ship is intentionally holding down all institutions (and ours arguably more so than others with the highest % of budget cuts) as an issue and a reason to dislike them, there's not a whole lot to discuss.

If you're willing to look past the evil so you can enjoy good basketball, your opinion is not going to change. That said, now that you have the reason for the hatred (completely outside of the arrogance of their athletics), don't act surprised when people vehemently react to your love of that evil.

It's not one specific thing (med school, athletics, etc.). It's the constant holding us back. It's continuous. They have ruined a once great academic system solely for the benefit of one institution.
That's the case with every flagship university, the one exception might be UCLA. A law school at Appalachian is a terrible idea. This country already has too many law schools, and law school grads tend to donate very little back to the schools they got JDs from. Med schools, all of them, tend to be in or close to big cities and their hospitals (ETSU might be an exception). And it should be pointed out that Appalachian has gotten record appropriations from the legislature the past three years.
UNC apologist spotted

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:50 pm

yosef69 wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:46 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:

UNC apologist spotted
Yeah, why let facts cloud the issue. :roll:
WE ARE YOSEF!

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:51 pm

Anyone that graduated from app and roots for unc is actively rooting against their own best interests because they don’t care to look at the institutions from more than a superficial level of sports. That’s what it boils down to: willful ignorance.

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:51 pm

goapps93 wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:50 pm
yosef69 wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:

UNC apologist spotted
App is funded on a per student level less than that of UNC Asheville last I checked.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:58 pm

yosef69 wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:51 pm
Anyone that graduated from app and roots for unc is actively rooting against their own best interests because they don’t care to look at the institutions from more than a superficial level of sports. That’s what it boils down to: willful ignorance.
Anyone huh? Roots for? My wife is a life-long UNC fan, she went to Meredith. She's also now an App fan. Her parents are UNC grads. I don't necessarily root for the Heels, but I don't root against them either. Not prudent for me. I try to be a bridge builder rather than a bridge demolisher. But that's just me.
WE ARE YOSEF!

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:59 pm

yosef69 wrote:
goapps93 wrote:
yosef69 wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:

UNC apologist spotted
App is funded on a per student level less than that of UNC Asheville last I checked.
That is a fact. UNCA is an odd exception, not counting the HBUs.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:02 pm

Also, to make this about football, other than Texas and (just now) Florida, is there another state with three P5 PUBLIC universities?

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:03 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:59 pm
yosef69 wrote:
goapps93 wrote:
yosef69 wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:

UNC apologist spotted
I just looked. App is funded less than any other public university in the state. Thanks baby blue!

https://www.northcarolina.edu/wp-conten ... t-fy22.pdf

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:10 pm

yosef69 wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:03 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:59 pm
yosef69 wrote:
goapps93 wrote:
yosef69 wrote:

UNC apologist spotted
I just looked. App is funded less than any other public university in the state. Thanks baby blue!

https://www.northcarolina.edu/wp-conten ... t-fy22.pdf
But it happens to every school so we should be ok with it since the blue wearing bastards play basketball well!

If this doesn't finalize the reason for the hatred (remember, not everyone gives a shit about UNC basketball), nothing will and your blind by that blue.

Hope the bus door doesn't hit you in the ass when you jump off that bandwagon.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:10 pm

goapps93 wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:58 pm
yosef69 wrote:
Anyone huh? Roots for? My wife is a life-long UNC fan, she went to Meredith. She's also now an App fan. Her parents are UNC grads. I don't necessarily root for the Heels, but I don't root against them either. Not prudent for me. I try to be a bridge builder rather than a bridge demolisher. But that's just me.
Don’t worry bro I got you. I’ll root against unc double to make up for it. Keep the peace at home.

Luckily for me my wife turned down unc so I only get a polite pat on the head for my efforts.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:24 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:

App tried for years to get a nursing program due to requests from the non-UNC systems in the state. It was always told there was never enough funds to do it. So, we went out and found our own funding to start one. Still denied due to unwillingness to allow App to grow. Again, the meeting minutes are public record. There are quotes out there saying the same thing. Instead, we had to form our own private partnership with Wake Forest just to get a nursing program THAT WAS FULLY FUNDED OUTSIDE OF THE STATE.

App tried for years to get a Ed. D program. You know, the university founded to be a teachers college, leading the state (if not country) in quality teachers produced. the flagship program at the University... And nope, wouldn't allow it. They had to fight for it. Finally, they allowed it in after the government basically required them to.

App tried for years to get a vet tech program. We were denied at least 2 years in a row (I think at least 3, maybe 4 though). So, we had to go the private route again with Banfield to get it done.

Bottom line -- UNC system is very clearly hold back every other institution in the system so they can benefit themselves. It's no secret. They make it common knowledge. It's just the baby blue blinders are always on because they typically have a good basketball team. And the reason for my hated isn't even tied to their inept ability to manage an athletic department and need to use our hard earned tax dollars to fight an academic fraud case to punish program that weren't heavily involved -- that just exponentially increased it.
Last edited by AppStateNews on Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

CoachRob

Unread post by CoachRob » Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:26 pm

yosef69 wrote:
Sooooo ... if you only invest in App state athletics, you're not a true App state fan???
That's kind of an elitist statement, isn't it?

but I'm glad 40,000 made the trip to Boone last weekend to watch the chess club & listen to that academic seminar ...

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:27 pm

CoachRob wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:26 pm
yosef69 wrote:
Sooooo ... if you only invest in App state athletics, you're not a true App state fan???

but I'm glad 40,000 made the trip to Boone last weekend to watch the chess club & listen to that academic seminar ...
Sorry I hurt your feelings by calling out your willing cognitive dissonance

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:42 pm

CoachRob wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:26 pm
yosef69 wrote:

You're an Appstate football fan. Not an App State fan. I'm not sure why you are arguing every point when this argument has clearly morphed into how UNC benefits from the status quo propagated by the UNCBOG, with borderline malicious inaction for all non flagship/land grant universities with one of the chief means being athletics. UNC basketball is powerful enough we have people who are on here who care enough about App state football to find a message board, but will go to the grave defending UNC/BOG literally holding their own alma mater back.

Just go over to IC and claim that you've finally had enough of your fellow App alum, and how you were always one of the good ones that knew that UNC was superior in every way and App was lucky to get whatever crumbs UNCBOG were kind enough to bestow on us, and that you're fully committed to UNC athletics.

All of those guys over there will agree with you and you won't have to reach deep down defending UNC and UNCBOG all the time.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:51 pm

Let’s not eat our own. Many Walmart Tar Heel fans were brainwashed at a very young age and it’s hard to undo that damage. Let’s have grace towards them even if they are blind to evilness of the Heels…unless it’s Eric Church. He’s disowned us as far as I’m concerned and he can be the Tar Heels man whore if he wants.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:24 pm

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:40 am
Most App State fans are fans of football only --- and then big Tar Hole basketball fans -- and most don't even know App State has other sports.

Basically Hwy 321 Eric calls it like the typical trailer park UNC fan is across the state - never understood why the uneducated pull for the Heels when they wouldn't let 99.9% in school or even want them on their country club campus. -- at least he let's his dad buy or spend money on Athletics Suite for games to entertain his Hwy 321 friends.
Anyone familiar with Granite Falls would also be aware that his "My Hometown" song was written by a song writer. Being from the area, I heard that once and never listened again because I realized, at that moment, he was a sell-out.

1ASU78

Unread post by 1ASU78 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:12 pm

The couple that sits behind us for the last 3 years are UNC grads. Season tickets to App. Their kids are at ASU. They went to the UNC game in their App gear!
We had chairman Brad on the BOG we should have gotten some love then. Nope. We snuck in some funding for HCC then Legislature passed a bill that type of thing can’t be done anymore. There is no reason there is not a State funded med related degree at ASU. And as far as EC goes he’s probably a Furman fan too. What happened to his clothes we hawked for him?

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:18 pm

" invited to try out"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”