Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

The pressure is on Doug Gillin: The most important season in the history of App State Football.

ComebackShack
School: Appalachian State

The pressure is on Doug Gillin: The most important season in the history of App State Football.

Unread post by ComebackShack » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:23 pm

Imagine how much pressure Doug Gillin has. This is his first mega-test at App. there’s going to be a ton weighing on this decision. Coming in you are gonna have a stacked 13-0 capable team, an incredibly favorable schedule against two P5 state flagships that are in our local area that we can beat, and you have so much momentum with the fan base and pollsters. We have a legitimate shot at a New York 6 top 15 ranking kinda year potential. It’s quite honestly the most important year in the history of football in Boone. I’d wager to say this season could 100% put us on a conference promotion track to AAC and a powerhouse program, or we could fizzle out like many G5 programs eventually do and the peaks been hit and then you realize you really can’t go higher than with your resources etc. We need to seize the momentum we have and run straight down its throat next season because if we can harness our potential and win 12 or 13 games next year, we are going places fast.
Last edited by ComebackShack on Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

ericsaid

Re: The pressure is on Doug Gillin: The most important season in the history of App State Football.

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:29 pm

ComebackShack wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:23 pm
Imagine how much pressure Doug Gillin has. This is his first mega-test at App. there’s going to be a shit ton weighing on this decision. Coming in you are gonna have a stacked 13-0 capable team, an incredibly favorable schedule against two P5 state flagships that are in our local area that we can beat, and you have so much momentum with the fan base and pollsters. We have a legitimate shot at a New York 6 top 15 ranking kinda year potential. It’s quite honestly the most important year in the history of football in Boone. I’d wager to say this season could 100% put us on a conference promotion track to AAC and a powerhouse program, or we could fizzle out like many G5 programs eventually do and the peaks been hit and then you realize you really can’t go higher than with your recourses etc. We need to seize the momentum we have and run straight down its throat next season because if we can harness our potential and win 12 or 13 games next year, we are going places fast.
Basketball needs to pick it up for the AAC. App's football program is already AAC ready. Side note, getting to the NY6 and playing Louisville...and winning...would be ideal.

AppStateMtneer

Re: The pressure is on Doug Gillin: The most important season in the history of App State Football.

Unread post by AppStateMtneer » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:34 pm

We have a better shot at the NY6 than Louisville

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:03 pm

AppStateMtneer wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:34 pm
We have a better shot at the NY6 than Louisville
If Houston had been the hire I'd agree with you. Don't know enough yet.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:38 pm

ComebackShack wrote:
Imagine how much pressure Doug Gillin has. This is his first mega-test at App. there’s going to be a shit ton weighing on this decision. Coming in you are gonna have a stacked 13-0 capable team, an incredibly favorable schedule against two P5 state flagships that are in our local area that we can beat, and you have so much momentum with the fan base and pollsters. We have a legitimate shot at a New York 6 top 15 ranking kinda year potential. It’s quite honestly the most important year in the history of football in Boone. I’d wager to say this season could 100% put us on a conference promotion track to AAC and a powerhouse program, or we could fizzle out like many G5 programs eventually do and the peaks been hit and then you realize you really can’t go higher than with your recourses etc. We need to seize the momentum we have and run straight down its throat next season because if we can harness our potential and win 12 or 13 games next year, we are going places fast.
It's not like this snuck up on Doug Gillin. He's most likely been working on Plan B since Satt hired an agent.

While we have a very capable and talented team, I wouldn't say we are stacked. While it may be possible to go undefeated; injuries, bad breaks, missed calls (all of which happened in the GaSo game) are part of football + we're dealing with young adults.
We're not going to the AAC. It's not going to happen. No team has ever been promoted by their performance in one season and dominos would have to fall at the P5's with expansion. Plus, we don't have the other sports in shape to back up football. We are a football school, that also excels in wrestling and Track/Cross Country. The rest of our programs have no history of repeated success.

We are a very successful G5 Football Program with a Winning Culture. We've transitioned well and can continue to build the program. Success next year is winning the Conference, beating one P5 school and winning our other two non-conference games. Anything else is gravy.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:49 pm

Good points, but football drives the money truck and we are becoming a national brand. Academics and media market are important to conferences as well, we have those improving every year. I think if basketball could get their heads out of their *edit *, they could be the final piece to propel us to a better conference
The Appalachian State

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:58 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:49 pm
Good points, but football drives the money truck and we are becoming a national brand. Academics and media market are important to conferences as well, we have those improving every year. I think if basketball could get their heads out of their *edit *, they could be the final piece to propel us to a better conference
Totally agree. Improving our basketball program is our only hope at a possible AAC bid when the next shake up happens.

That said, it starts with us. What 17 year old wants to play in a 80% empty arena?
YNWA

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:32 am

These are the decisions Leaders want to make. "Give me the ball, I want the ball, I want to make the big play". This is the time for a big time AD to deliver. I think he will.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:15 am

ah59396 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:58 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:49 pm
Totally agree. Improving our basketball program is our only hope at a possible AAC bid when the next shake up happens.

That said, it starts with us. What 17 year old wants to play in a 80% empty arena?
Sell the program based on what's possible, not what it is now. I know it's not that easy, but a good recruiter could show players what is possible should they make the choice. I don't follow college basketball close enough to know but I'm well aware of how slim the margins are for being great and being average to below average. However, if App can turn into a National Powerhouse at the FCS level and make a seamless transition to FBS, I have no doubt that basketball can pick up their slack if the right hire is made.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:18 am

WASU 93 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:38 pm
ComebackShack wrote:
It's not like this snuck up on Doug Gillin. He's most likely been working on Plan B since Satt hired an agent.

While we have a very capable and talented team, I wouldn't say we are stacked. While it may be possible to go undefeated; injuries, bad breaks, missed calls (all of which happened in the GaSo game) are part of football + we're dealing with young adults.
We're not going to the AAC. It's not going to happen. No team has ever been promoted by their performance in one season and dominos would have to fall at the P5's with expansion. Plus, we don't have the other sports in shape to back up football. We are a football school, that also excels in wrestling and Track/Cross Country. The rest of our programs have no history of repeated success.

We are a very successful G5 Football Program with a Winning Culture. We've transitioned well and can continue to build the program. Success next year is winning the Conference, beating one P5 school and winning our other two non-conference games. Anything else is gravy.
Success is beating both P5 schools. Carolina may still be down and USC will be a tall order but if the right hire is made, it's entirely possible that App can win both games. Depending on how the first two weeks shake out, App may even be favored heading into Chapel Hill,

Side note, when do tickets go on sale? I expect a ton of App people to show up there.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:05 am

ericsaid wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:18 am
WASU 93 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:38 pm
ComebackShack wrote:

Success is beating both P5 schools. Carolina may still be down and USC will be a tall order but if the right hire is made, it's entirely possible that App can win both games. Depending on how the first two weeks shake out, App may even be favored heading into Chapel Hill,

Side note, when do tickets go on sale? I expect a ton of App people to show up there.
We can certainly beat both teams. But, our season is not a failure if we don’t. We have to get that first P5 Win since 2007, before we get the second one.

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:24 am

Why would we want to go to the AAC? Even they have no shot at the playoffs and we have just as good a shot at a NY6 in the Sun Belt. Bowl match ups might be better but that is it. What else am I missing?

97APP

Unread post by 97APP » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:47 am

Yosefus wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:24 am
Why would we want to go to the AAC? Even they have no shot at the playoffs and we have just as good a shot at a NY6 in the Sun Belt. Bowl match ups might be better but that is it. What else am I missing?
That's the best G5 conference (for both revenue sports) and their conference media rights payout is significantly higher than the SBC. It's the only G5 conference that would be worth the exit/entry fees to join.

That being said we're not close to being considered. And without the AAC being gutted by P5 conferences in the next realignment, they're not looking for new members.

At this time we need to just work on where we are. At the time we joined FBS football the SBC was clearly the bottom FBS conference. I'd say now the SBC is 3rd behind the AAC and MWC. And that's with all fairly new FBS programs.
Today I Give My All for Appalachian State

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:49 am

Yosefus wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:24 am
I agree with you to some extent, however I’d argue that our conference opponents would be much better. That said, if we were in a newly realigned AAC, it would be the result of The Big 12 poaching the AAC’s top dogs. So maybe you’re right!
YNWA

ASU3432Mi

Unread post by ASU3432Mi » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:55 am

Let's beat ETSU and Charlotte badly. Then we focus on Mack's Tarholes.

ASU85Grad

Unread post by ASU85Grad » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:17 am

I agree. Lots of pressure on DG. I am sure he wants to move up. He nails this hire, other larger schools will be looking at him in the near future. New hire stinks up the place, he could be here a long time, or let go.

Apptrain

Unread post by Apptrain » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:29 am

I hope he has proven head coaches at the top of his list as opposed to rolling the dice on a coordinator.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:32 am

We had enquires from interested candidates last week , including a former SEC head coach.Plenty of "qualified" people , but which is the "right fit"? Tough call .

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:44 am

Wonder if when he starts interviews how many candidates are made public for fan board scrutiny?

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:49 am

I totally trust Doug to make the right decision. Knowing Doug, he's been preparing for this for a while. This is a prime coaching position and situation. It'd be much harder if we had had to fire Satt because of losing or other issues with the program.
With our current roster and upcoming schedule and stadium/facility upgrades...not to mention our momentum of winning championships, bowls, etc. I feel pretty good about it all, the future is incredibly bright for our program.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”