Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Transfer Portal

AppStateNews
School: Appalachian State

Re: Transfer Portal

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sun May 23, 2021 7:39 pm

We were interested in Donte Small when he was in high school but couldn't pull the trigger then because of grades -- much like a lot of other G5 and P5 programs. He is a legit talent that took some time to figure out the academic side of being a student athlete. He has since figured that out at the FCS level and will compete for time here.

For Small -- it was never a talent issue. It was academics and that has been fixed.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon May 24, 2021 7:48 am

The biggest difference, or adjustment that a player has to make is to the speed of the game. Tape shows technique and ability. The coaches don’t see concerns with the players ability to adjust to the faster game, or they wouldn’t get offers. There are other factors that they kick the tires on. Like AppStateNews said. Sometimes it’s just a maturity thing that has to develop.
Last edited by AppSt94 on Mon May 24, 2021 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Mon May 24, 2021 9:11 am

Kid looks the part in build, on tape and now with the back story provided by several seems like an even better pickup. I still can't get too excited because he's not from a P5....sarcasm of course. I agree the point is valid about the reactions to P5 transfers versus others. In the end, talent is talent. After that its up to the player and coaches to develop those gifts.
Last edited by AppDub on Mon May 24, 2021 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon May 24, 2021 10:24 am

Answered my questions.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon May 24, 2021 10:30 am

"The coaches don’t see concerns with the players ability to adjust to the faster game, or they wouldn’t get offers."

This is all that matters!!!
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Mon May 24, 2021 4:02 pm

Good article in ESPN about the tampering involved with the portal. Brown an Drink were quoted.
Before anyone jumps, I could not get it to link.
Bring Your A Game!

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Tue May 25, 2021 6:17 am

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Tue May 25, 2021 7:40 am

So I just finished reading this ESPN article. I find it very interesting the narrative they weaved together about the "poaching" and the "wild,wild, west" of the transfer portal. Three G5 coaches were included in the article (Dykes, Bill Clark, Fickell). Dykes equated the situation to "if you ain't cheating you ain't trying", Clark(who has rebuilt UAB on the backs of transfers) described a time last year were he knew the coach on the other sideline was recruiting one of his guys, it feels disingenuous coming from him. But Fickell on the other hand said when you lose players it's a reminder that it's about the relationships you build with your players and if they leave there is a good chance you failed them. The rest of the article fabricates this narrative were the almighty P5s are being hurt by this and it's actually the players fault for exercising the power the transfer portal has given them. I most certainly don't feel an ounce of sympathy for Drink and Brown who have a combined 37 players in the portal (only 4 going to another P5), this is the bed they have made and they can lie in it.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”