Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Didn't realize this about the acoustics in our stadium enhancement project

Neer86
School: Appalachian State

Didn't realize this about the acoustics in our stadium enhancement project

Unread post by Neer86 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:25 pm

The culmination of the Kidd Brewer Stadium enhancement project will be the 2022 season opener when the Tar Heels come to Boone. The new acoustics created by the North Endzone will make 40,000 sound like 100,000, especially with an in-state P5 opponent.

Let's get loud!

Bootsy

Re: Didn't realize this about the acoustics in our stadium enhancement project

Unread post by Bootsy » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:24 am

That's pretty interesting and potentially awesome. Can't wait to experience it in person!

Who did the sound studies to determine the increase in decibels?

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:27 am

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that was just an enthusiastic comment from a fellow fan. I'm sure the NEZ will do a good job further encapsulating sound inside KBS but I highly doubt we'll register the decibel level of 100K fans. That doesn't mean it won't at least sound, to our naked ears physically in the seats, louder than before the NEZ construction but sound level differentials are pretty much lost at a certain point when actually in the seat at a live event.
Bootsy wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:24 am
That's pretty interesting and potentially awesome. Can't wait to experience it in person!

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:54 am

HkyMtneer wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:27 am
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that was just an enthusiastic comment from a fellow fan. I'm sure the NEZ will do a good job further encapsulating sound inside KBS but I highly doubt we'll register the decibel level of 100K fans. That doesn't mean it won't at least sound, to our naked ears physically in the seats, louder than before the NEZ construction but sound level differentials are pretty much lost at a certain point when actually in the seat at a live event.
Bootsy wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:24 am

I agree, been to two games at Penn State, one at NC State and many UNC-Chapel Hill games in addition to many at KBS....there is a distinct difference attending a game at Penn State compared to the others. NC State was close as it was the Thursday night game when Louisville had Lamar Jackson. The NC State fans showed up in force that evening.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppState89

Unread post by AppState89 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:00 am

Best news I've heard in a long time. I went to the Liberty vs Montana game several years back and Liberty's sound system was AWESOME. Now we will have AWESOME sound.
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:58 am

Let's not bury the lede here. They said 40,000 sound like 100,000. Really 40,000???
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

mikeyosef

Unread post by mikeyosef » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:43 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:58 am
Let's not bury the lede here. They said 40,000 sound like 100,000. Really 40,000???
Sounds good but from the Facilities webpage: Kidd Brewer Stadium’s seating capacity is 30,000, and Wake Forest’s visit to Boone in 2017 attracted a record crowd of 35,126.

I doubt the NEZ can accommodate as many fans as the temporary bleachers that were there for the Wake and Miami game. Also, the way they changed Miller hill looks to me like it might reduce the number of fans that can pack the hill. Even though the stadium with all the improvements looks AWESOME, I can't see how we will pack in 35,126 fans with the new configuration.

I'll be happy if we see fan numbers averaging above 24K again. IMHO 24K cheering Mountaineers make a hell of a lot more noise than any other fan base that size, maybe even twice that size.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:52 pm

Maybe 35k is stretching it, with all of the improvements. But I bet it will be plenty uncomfortable for opposing teams.

Loudest crowd I've ever heard at a sports event was 1999 when ECU played the U at Carter-Finley on account of Hurricane Floyd flooding everything down east. The ECU faithful packed the house and the Pirates came from behind to win. The noise level was insane.

Neer86

Unread post by Neer86 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:58 pm

Bootsy wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:52 pm
Maybe 35k is stretching it, with all of the improvements. But I bet it will be plenty uncomfortable for opposing teams.

Loudest crowd I've ever heard at a sports event was 1999 when ECU played the U at Carter-Finley on account of Hurricane Floyd flooding everything down east. The ECU faithful packed the house and the Pirates came from behind to win. The noise level was insane.
I've been to an ECU football (long time ago, late 80s) and was impressed with their fan base and game day experience. Had a really good time.

The program has been in trouble for a while, and there is some sort of problem in leadership at the school, not to mention financial problems that most schools are facing. Don't know how much excitement is still there, but they traditionally had a strong fan base.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:59 pm

mikeyosef wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:43 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:58 am
Sounds good but from the Facilities webpage: Kidd Brewer Stadium’s seating capacity is 30,000, and Wake Forest’s visit to Boone in 2017 attracted a record crowd of 35,126.

I doubt the NEZ can accommodate as many fans as the temporary bleachers that were there for the Wake and Miami game. Also, the way they changed Miller hill looks to me like it might reduce the number of fans that can pack the hill. Even though the stadium with all the improvements looks AWESOME, I can't see how we will pack in 35,126 fans with the new configuration.

I'll be happy if we see fan numbers averaging above 24K again. IMHO 24K cheering Mountaineers make a hell of a lot more noise than any other fan base that size, maybe even twice that size.
Nothing says we can’t bring in the old temp stands and put them below the new NEZ seats. Seems to me they would fit perfectly.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:15 pm

Think you folks may be taking the tweet a bit too literally.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:27 pm

This is one person’s opinion. It is not fact. It’ll be loud tho.
Give 'em hell!

Blackshirt68

Unread post by Blackshirt68 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:45 am

Hearing 35000 fans cheering and the Band of Distinction playing is far superior to listening to “rock snippets” between plays. No one cheers if they can’t be heard over “Cottoneyed Joe”. Lets be loud and tone down the canned music. We have the best band in the state. Let them play!

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:24 am

UNC will have at least 5-10k in attendance. With the amount of weekday games mixed with our conference home schedule looking weak for 2022 (No Coastal, No Southern, No ULL) I don't think the whole "Buy season tickets to guarantee a spot" will be as appealing as it was for the Miami game. With that said, it leaves a lot of single game tickets on the market. Basically what I'm trying to say is, App Nation will need to bring it vocally. Just as we did when there was only one level on the east side and Owens in the NEZ.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:14 am

Capacity will be higher than the 35k now. The reason we were capped at 35k is because of fire marshall setting that capacity due to amount of exits. We now have more exits with the NEZ facility.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:14 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:14 am
Capacity will be higher than the 35k now. The reason we were capped at 35k is because of fire marshall setting that capacity due to amount of exits. We now have more exits with the NEZ facility.
Attachments
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (12.45 KiB) Viewed 2973 times
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:31 pm

Yeah, I think the 40k was not meant to be a literal count.

But, from the games I attended in KBS last year, there's appsolutely no question that the NEZ retains the sound like never before. I thought to myself at the time that the 5k in attendance (or however many Guv.Kooper actually allowed us to have there) sounded REALLY loud. So, even 30k butts in seats might be positively deafening! Don't get me wrong, 40k would be AWESOME!

Loudest game I've been to was at Wa-Griz Stadium (App vs. Montana) in Dec. 2008. 25k attendees I think, but that entire stadium was just a bowl, so no noise left the inside, it just rattled around awhile. It was a bit chilly for that game. That was the first game I know of, where App's players relied almost exclusively on hand signals. Because you could not hear nothin' for all the noise!

I recall hearing about App's practices for the Montana game included having the sound system turned up wide open so they could prepare. Quick shoulda caught that pass!

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:42 pm

AppAlum1 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:31 pm
Yeah, I think the 40k was not meant to be a literal count.

But, from the games I attended in KBS last year, there's appsolutely no question that the NEZ retains the sound like never before. I thought to myself at the time that the 5k in attendance (or however many Guv.Kooper actually allowed us to have there) sounded REALLY loud. So, even 30k butts in seats might be positively deafening! Don't get me wrong, 40k would be AWESOME!

Loudest game I've been to was at Wa-Griz Stadium (App vs. Montana) in Dec. 2008. 25k attendees I think, but that entire stadium was just a bowl, so no noise left the inside, it just rattled around awhile. It was a bit chilly for that game. That was the first game I know of, where App's players relied almost exclusively on hand signals. Because you could not hear nothin' for all the noise!

I recall hearing about App's practices for the Montana game included having the sound system turned up wide open so they could prepare. Quick shoulda caught that pass!
He WAS open, after all.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

JohnnyBurrito

Unread post by JohnnyBurrito » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:34 pm

Bootsy wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:52 pm

I was the ball boy for that game (Miami footballs)...that game was nuts. Huge come back by ECU.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”