Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Future Defense Rankings

t4pizza
School: Appalachian State

Future Defense Rankings

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed May 05, 2021 10:22 am

New article out on espn+ ranks all the future defenses. We come in at 20, not bad at all and some nice recognition for our defense. Only 3 G5 teams got ranked, Cincinnati at 7, App at 20, UAB at 21.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/i ... r-rankings

Neer86

Re: Future Defense Rankings

Unread post by Neer86 » Wed May 05, 2021 12:23 pm

behind a paywall, but thanks. #20 is pretty dang good. Cincy must have a beast team this year.

booneboy92

Unread post by booneboy92 » Wed May 05, 2021 1:00 pm

That’s cool! Has anybody heard anything more about Kaiden Smith’s injury from scrimmage?

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Wed May 05, 2021 1:07 pm

Miami #22. that's going to be a good one.

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Wed May 05, 2021 1:48 pm

I wish Cincinnati had the stones to play us. We could settle the discussion on the field. ("Any time, any place, any where ")

BayouApp

Unread post by BayouApp » Wed May 05, 2021 2:22 pm

Could not read (no ESPN+), but I am a little surprised at UAB. I guess the article explains why.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Wed May 05, 2021 4:12 pm

appstate77 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 1:48 pm
I wish Cincinnati had the stones to play us. We could settle the discussion on the field. ("Any time, any place, any where ")
I do wish Gillin would get some top-half AAC opponents on the schedule. Until that happens, and we win those games, we can go undefeated but if a AAC team also runs the table then due to perception we’ll be shut out of the NY6 bowl.

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Wed May 05, 2021 4:41 pm

You know what I gathered from that?...App is the best defense in North Carolina, Virginia & Tennessee and the 2nd best defense in the ACC.

Notre Dame is not in the ACC, not until they fully commit.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Thu May 06, 2021 1:06 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 4:12 pm
appstate77 wrote:
I do wish Gillin would get some top-half AAC opponents on the schedule.
Its not from a lack of effort this hasn't happened....
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

BayouApp

Unread post by BayouApp » Thu May 06, 2021 3:43 pm

First step is to beat AAC's ECU.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Mon May 10, 2021 10:52 am

Yosef10 wrote:
appstate77 wrote:
I do wish Gillin would get some top-half AAC opponents on the schedule. Until that happens, and we win those games, we can go undefeated but if a AAC team also runs the table then due to perception we’ll be shut out of the NY6 bowl.
I am not really sure of this. The tide may be changing as we speak. While the AAC still has the highest ranked G5 team (Cincy), that is the only team they currently have in the "way too early after spring practice top 25" while the SunBelt is the only other ranked G5 conference and we have 2 teams racked (ULL, Coastal). If the other schools in the Belt can take care of their business and we can take car of ours, including beating both those teams and winning the Belt again. We may be in a much better position than in previous years. The perception of the SunBelt is changing for the better.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Tue May 25, 2021 7:31 am

t4pizza wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 10:52 am
Yosef10 wrote:
appstate77 wrote:
I am not really sure of this. The tide may be changing as we speak. While the AAC still has the highest ranked G5 team (Cincy), that is the only team they currently have in the "way too early after spring practice top 25" while the SunBelt is the only other ranked G5 conference and we have 2 teams racked (ULL, Coastal). If the other schools in the Belt can take care of their business and we can take car of ours, including beating both those teams and winning the Belt again. We may be in a much better position than in previous years. The perception of the SunBelt is changing for the better.
We went 13-1 with only a loss to GS and 2 P5 wins and didn’t even get sniff the NY6 bowl, which went to Memphis. That tells you all you need to know about the perception of the Sun Belt vs AAC.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Tue May 25, 2021 7:33 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 1:06 am
Yosef10 wrote:
appstate77 wrote:
I’ve heard this mentioned elsewhere. These top-half of the AAC schools basically all have Boise and BYU scheduled. The implication here is they don’t wanna schedule App and risk a non-P5 loss, but how’s that explain them all having Boise and BYU on future schedules?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue May 25, 2021 7:40 am

Yosef10 wrote:
appstate77 wrote:
They have to want to play us.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue May 25, 2021 7:46 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 7:33 am
AppStateNews wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
appstate77 wrote:
I’ve heard this mentioned elsewhere. These top-half of the AAC schools basically all have Boise and BYU scheduled. The implication here is they don’t wanna schedule App and risk a non-P5 loss, but how’s that explain them all having Boise and BYU on future schedules?
Do Boise and BYU have the same recruiting footprint as the AAC like we do?

Also, Boise and BYU are now perennial G5 powers. We are not there yet. They are viewed in the higher echelon to the committee.
Last edited by AppStateNews on Tue May 25, 2021 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
tAPPedInSports.net

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Tue May 25, 2021 7:47 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 7:40 am
Yosef10 wrote:
appstate77 wrote:
As I’ve said before, feel free to provide actual info man. Your comments are mostly empty calories.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Tue May 25, 2021 8:02 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 7:46 am
Yosef10 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
appstate77 wrote:

Also, Boise and BYU are now perennial G5 powers. We are not there yet. They are viewed in the higher echelon to the committee.
...are you saying the AAC schools wants access to the recruiting hot beds of *checks notes*...Boise, ID and Provo, UT?

Cincy has WKU on future schedules
Houston has GS
Memphis has Ark State, Troy, Georgia State, and North Texas
Navy has Marshall
SMU has La Tech
Tulsa has Ark State, Wyoming, La Tech, ULL
UCF has Liberty, Boise, and BYU

That doesn’t even include the in-state games against fellow G5’s that i left out. So, now that you see that, really the best answer we have is “they don’t wanna play us”? The data just doesn’t seem to suggest that.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue May 25, 2021 8:17 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 7:47 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 7:40 am
Yosef10 wrote:
appstate77 wrote:
As I’ve said before, feel free to provide actual info man. Your comments are mostly empty calories.
I’m not sure why you have to be so defensive. I wasn’t trying to attack your comment. You made it seem like DG wasn’t trying to schedule them. He can call everyone in his Rolodex, but unless they agree to a game or two, it isn’t going to happen. Have a great day.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue May 25, 2021 8:26 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 8:02 am
AppStateNews wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 7:46 am
Yosef10 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:

...are you saying the AAC schools wants access to the recruiting hot beds of *checks notes*...Boise, ID and Provo, UT?

Cincy has WKU on future schedules
Houston has GS
Memphis has Ark State, Troy, Georgia State, and North Texas
Navy has Marshall
SMU has La Tech
Tulsa has Ark State, Wyoming, La Tech, ULL
UCF has Liberty, Boise, and BYU

That doesn’t even include the in-state games against fellow G5’s that i left out. So, now that you see that, really the best answer we have is “they don’t wanna play us”? The data just doesn’t seem to suggest that.
No, I am actually saying the exact opposite. They want to recruiting footprint of NC, SC, Ga, TN, Alabama, etc. Playing us and potentially losing to us hurts that footprint.

WKU is an easy win for Cincy -- App isn't.
GS is an easy win for Houston -- App isn't.
All the listed for Memphis is an easy win -- App isn't
Marshall (until last year but the game was scheduled years ago when Marshall wasn't good) WAS an easy win for Navy -- App isn't

You get the idea.

Also remember a lot of those games were agreed to years ago -- when certain teams were not very good and didn't have a shot at even the AAC championship so losing games didn't matter as much.

Also, remember our OOC schedule is complete until 2025. And in 2025, both remaining OOC games have to be home games since our other scheduled OOC games are away -- adds another difficulty into it.

Realistically, the only AAC teams we could get a home and home with right now would be Memphis and ECU. Cincy and Tulsa wouldn't schedule us right now as it's a detriment to their chances when they lose. I know Tulsa plays LaLa but not until 2028.

We have repeatedly tried and we cannot agree with a Home and Home with UCF that would appeal to both teams and the EARLIEST we could get it to work would be 2025. My understanding is we were close to a 4 game series when their AD took the Tennessee job and talks have understandably slowed down.

If it was as easy as "oh, hey, lets play each other!" it would be done. But all games have to fit both teams budgets, timing, expectations (i.e. if a team is expecting a rebuild year based on seniority on the roster they aren't going to schedule another top tier G5), schedules (we want one P5, one G5, one FCS, and one regional team every year), other sports budgets, etc. There are A LOT more logistics in scheduling teams than most can even think about.
tAPPedInSports.net

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Tue May 25, 2021 8:38 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 7:31 am
t4pizza wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 10:52 am
Yosef10 wrote:
appstate77 wrote:
We went 13-1 with only a loss to GS and 2 P5 wins and didn’t even get sniff the NY6 bowl, which went to Memphis. That tells you all you need to know about the perception of the Sun Belt vs AAC.
The problem with that thought process is that it assumes everything is static and doesn't change. As the perception of the Sun Belt continues to rise, our ability to make the NY6 without a perfect season continues to risse. Again, the Sun Belt is currently the ONLY G5 conference with more than 1 team ranked in the way too early preseason polls. It certainly wasn't that way 2 years ago. Things always change and as long as we can continue to play winning football at a high level then we will be in position to capitalize off that change. We just need our conference mates to do the same.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”