Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Future Defense Rankings

Yosef84

Re: Future Defense Rankings

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue May 25, 2021 9:03 am

I don't think the AAC is "afraid" of App. I just think that, with programs scheduling years in advance, App hasn't yet entered the recruiting cycles as a peer of Boise State or BYU. That's not to say we AREN'T their peer, but there is a lag in scheduling. Those programs have to have an opening in a year where we fit their needs. I believe it will happen, but it will take a while.

AtlAppMan
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue May 25, 2021 12:24 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 9:03 am
I don't think the AAC is "afraid" of App. I just think that, with programs scheduling years in advance, App hasn't yet entered the recruiting cycles as a peer of Boise State or BYU. That's not to say we AREN'T their peer, but there is a lag in scheduling. Those programs have to have an opening in a year where we fit their needs. I believe it will happen, but it will take a while.
That is probably the best summary. I would say the lag is roughly 5-10 yrs. Therefore in retrospect, when we first went FBS we got some MAC, MWC and CUSA teams (Akron, ODU, Wyoming, Southern Miss, etc). Now we are moving up in national stature and will probably have more credibility and help SOS for our opponents. It has taken 5-7 yrs to build our brand and as a result will yield results in the scheduling category. But, as said, will take some time to show up in future scheduling opponents.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Tue May 25, 2021 2:01 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 8:38 am
Yosef10 wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 7:31 am
t4pizza wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 10:52 am
Yosef10 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 4:12 pm
appstate77 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 1:48 pm
I wish Cincinnati had the stones to play us. We could settle the discussion on the field. ("Any time, any place, any where ")
I do wish Gillin would get some top-half AAC opponents on the schedule. Until that happens, and we win those games, we can go undefeated but if a AAC team also runs the table then due to perception we’ll be shut out of the NY6 bowl.
I am not really sure of this. The tide may be changing as we speak. While the AAC still has the highest ranked G5 team (Cincy), that is the only team they currently have in the "way too early after spring practice top 25" while the SunBelt is the only other ranked G5 conference and we have 2 teams racked (ULL, Coastal). If the other schools in the Belt can take care of their business and we can take car of ours, including beating both those teams and winning the Belt again. We may be in a much better position than in previous years. The perception of the SunBelt is changing for the better.
We went 13-1 with only a loss to GS and 2 P5 wins and didn’t even get sniff the NY6 bowl, which went to Memphis. That tells you all you need to know about the perception of the Sun Belt vs AAC.
The problem with that thought process is that it assumes everything is static and doesn't change. As the perception of the Sun Belt continues to rise, our ability to make the NY6 without a perfect season continues to risse. Again, the Sun Belt is currently the ONLY G5 conference with more than 1 team ranked in the way too early preseason polls. It certainly wasn't that way 2 years ago. Things always change and as long as we can continue to play winning football at a high level then we will be in position to capitalize off that change. We just need our conference mates to do the same.
I do hope you’re right, but I’m very skeptical you’d see the Playoff Committee rank anything other than an undefeated SBC champion ahead of a 1-2 loss AAC champ. I mean CCU was 11-0 with a win over BYU and was 12th when 9-0 Cincy was 8th.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Tue May 25, 2021 2:33 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 2:01 pm
t4pizza wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 8:38 am
Yosef10 wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 7:31 am
t4pizza wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 10:52 am
Yosef10 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 4:12 pm

I do wish Gillin would get some top-half AAC opponents on the schedule. Until that happens, and we win those games, we can go undefeated but if a AAC team also runs the table then due to perception we’ll be shut out of the NY6 bowl.
I am not really sure of this. The tide may be changing as we speak. While the AAC still has the highest ranked G5 team (Cincy), that is the only team they currently have in the "way too early after spring practice top 25" while the SunBelt is the only other ranked G5 conference and we have 2 teams racked (ULL, Coastal). If the other schools in the Belt can take care of their business and we can take car of ours, including beating both those teams and winning the Belt again. We may be in a much better position than in previous years. The perception of the SunBelt is changing for the better.
We went 13-1 with only a loss to GS and 2 P5 wins and didn’t even get sniff the NY6 bowl, which went to Memphis. That tells you all you need to know about the perception of the Sun Belt vs AAC.
The problem with that thought process is that it assumes everything is static and doesn't change. As the perception of the Sun Belt continues to rise, our ability to make the NY6 without a perfect season continues to risse. Again, the Sun Belt is currently the ONLY G5 conference with more than 1 team ranked in the way too early preseason polls. It certainly wasn't that way 2 years ago. Things always change and as long as we can continue to play winning football at a high level then we will be in position to capitalize off that change. We just need our conference mates to do the same.
I do hope you’re right, but I’m very skeptical you’d see the Playoff Committee rank anything other than an undefeated SBC champion ahead of a 1-2 loss AAC champ. I mean CCU was 11-0 with a win over BYU and was 12th when 9-0 Cincy was 8th.
That right there is actually kind of my point, CCU got to 12 from out of nowhere with no history. They were only 4 spots behind Cincy who has been on the upward climb for a few years. I do not think it is out of the question that within a few more years the Sun Belt champ could have the same cache as the AAC champ. Now, it is going to take App, ULL, CCU keeping up and another team or three picking themselves up a bit more but it is possible. Perception is greater than reality and right now the Sun Belt has a very positive perception. I have even seen an article that suggested the Sun Belt East was the best division in all of G5. That would have been unbelievable just a few years ago.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”