Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

SC to allow college ath. to make money

asu1978

SC to allow college ath. to make money

Unread post by asu1978 » Fri May 07, 2021 10:32 pm

The SC legislature is allowing pending Gov. approval(given) payment to athletes for their product endorsements.What will this do to our player recruitment?

Yosef84

Re: SC to allow college ath. to make money

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sat May 08, 2021 5:51 am

How does this become a state legislature issue? Isn't the NCAA the governing body for this set of rules? This feels like the stipend issue where individual states started making rules but ultimately, if they want to compete in the NCAA, they'll have to abide by the rules there.

Personally, I can see both sides of this argument. From a player perspective, it definitely seems they should be able to benefit from their success, but it does seem it will create even more separation between the haves and the have-nots.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat May 08, 2021 9:52 am

It will create great opportunities for a smaller amount of athletes, but could lead to fewer overall scholarships available as programs attempt to keep up.

Is the goal of college athletics to serve the few or the many?

Seems the changes should be to provide more scholarships and more sports if there are excess funds rather than build ridiculous facilities, pay coaches millions, and soon a few players.

These measures will create a further divide between large and small in a time in which society is concerned about wealth inequality.

huskie3
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by huskie3 » Sat May 08, 2021 10:05 am

States are doing it because the NCAA will not.
It really isn’t completely new, the practice has been going on for years - it will just now be in the open.
Bring Your A Game!

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat May 08, 2021 10:41 am

huskie3 wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 10:05 am
States are doing it because the NCAA will not.
It really isn’t completely new, the practice has been going on for years - it will just now be in the open.
You are exactly right --- the NCAA has kicked the can down the road for way too long - this is going to happen and bitching and moaning will not change that - someone has got to take control of collegiate athletics and sure as shit it ain't M Emmert ---
Last edited by WVAPPeer on Sat May 08, 2021 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sat May 08, 2021 12:10 pm

This will end up like PAC’s with dark money creating abuse of the system.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sat May 08, 2021 6:26 pm

All of a sudden, Emmert wants to get something done in Congress by July 1. Heavens and earth will have to be moved before that happens.

The NC General Assembly is about to start working on the new state budget that's due June 30 and there's been no movement on NIL reform since the session started in February. Crossover deadline for non-budget legislation is this week, so unless there's a special session, not this year in North Carolina.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Sun May 09, 2021 2:34 pm

Here’s my question. How many athletes are going to have enough marketing value to actually make much money? I surmise it is just a small percentage of all college football players each year. The market supply and demand will balance this out over time.

I will not lose any sleep over this situation.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Sun May 09, 2021 2:52 pm

I don’t foresee any APP athlete getting nation brand agreements. Most of it will be regional and local. Nor do I see it affecting APP’s revenue stream.
Bring Your A Game!

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Sun May 09, 2021 2:55 pm

The part I’m excited about is that athletes will be able to make money on their other talents, just like regular students.
Bring Your A Game!

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun May 09, 2021 5:12 pm

Rich alumni can no get involved without sanction right? Pay the athlete for his “likeness” in any number of ways? Am I wrong in being cynical in thinking 5 and 4 star recruits will be going to the highest bidder?

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun May 09, 2021 5:43 pm

I really don't understand what is going on - I have been watching PTI and for the last week and Tony and Wilbon have been discussing it and they don't get it either - they were giving some examples of what different states are looking at - one state, maybe SC or FL, don't remember, where 75% goes into a pot for all athletes at that school - others had something like a player had to graduate to receive the funds, it's crazy and if there isn't an actual NCAA policy it will be really crazy -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Sun May 09, 2021 5:51 pm

When college athletics become semi-pro and ticket prices are out of control, I'm out. Greed man. I guess free education, free food, free clothing, all the chicks, easier path to graduate (if desired with tutors, resources, etc.) isn't enough, fine, pay players. Enjoy the same 10 teams every year in the hunt and say good bye to program growth, even lower level P5. Sick of this greed. You want to make things better, fine, hire outside agencies to provide life coaches and tutors so that the 99% of athletes that don't go pro have a life after college. I wonder what these kids making $ in college will do with their money. Invest in their future, save for a home or investments? Clothes, cars, gaming? hmmm, I wonder.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon May 10, 2021 6:07 am

Whenever I hear or read about any suggestions involving paying “players” or “student athletes “ I am baffled. Those who predict the greater divide between the 10 or so big programs and the rest are spot on. We are almost there already without a formal NI&L deal. While athletics has long provided a way for kids to receive the OPPORTUNITY to get a degree (who otherwise might not afford it) the entire notion of student athlete has become a joke at many larger schools. I don’t know why the poorer student athletes can’t simply apply for grants- that are free and don’t require repayment to supplement their lack of extra spending money. Put an added financial system in place to help pay for travel costs for a few family members so that they can attend some games. While there are certainly quite a few college athletes whose families struggle financially there are a great number who do fine and can afford the extra spending money for their son or daughter, especially since their college is FREE!

I can’t help but think that it will get way out of control at the big schools with these deals. Can you imagine the locker room at Alabama if 10-15 guys are getting bankrolled while the other 4-5 star guys get nothing? These are 18-22 year olds, many of which come from nothing. Gee there won’t be any internal resentment there boy.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon May 10, 2021 7:19 am

8:20a - Packer and Durham will be discussing NLI coming up ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Mon May 10, 2021 9:08 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 6:07 am
Whenever I hear or read about any suggestions involving paying “players” or “student athletes “ I am baffled. Those who predict the greater divide between the 10 or so big programs and the rest are spot on. We are almost there already without a formal NI&L deal. While athletics has long provided a way for kids to receive the OPPORTUNITY to get a degree (who otherwise might not afford it) the entire notion of student athlete has become a joke at many larger schools. I don’t know why the poorer student athletes can’t simply apply for grants- that are free and don’t require repayment to supplement their lack of extra spending money. Put an added financial system in place to help pay for travel costs for a few family members so that they can attend some games. While there are certainly quite a few college athletes whose families struggle financially there are a great number who do fine and can afford the extra spending money for their son or daughter, especially since their college is FREE!

I can’t help but think that it will get way out of control at the big schools with these deals. Can you imagine the locker room at Alabama if 10-15 guys are getting bankrolled while the other 4-5 star guys get nothing? These are 18-22 year olds, many of which come from nothing. Gee there won’t be any internal resentment there boy.

Its been some time since I posted it but I believe that college athletics will eventually separate from the schools as they currently are. I see the programs becoming a separate entity and simply "representing" a specific school in sports. The athletes would get paid and would have the opportunity to take classes if they choose to do so but will not be required to. The NCAA has no long term future.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Mon May 10, 2021 10:47 am

I have no issue with athletes getting paid for their name, image or likeness. This will not be paid by any schools as it is truly a "fair market" price with businesses. Ironically, female athletes may do the best in this because they have so many more followers on social media and now that they will be allowed to monetize that like any other social media influencers. This will end up helping schools that have very wealthy alums that don't mind spending real money to get wins, think SMU from the 80s but now done in a legal way. Gone will be the days of cash after the game, now will be the days of getting paid for an appearance or autograph or limited edition pictures, etc. Now before anyone gets all bent out of shape for an athlete getting paid for an appearance, realize this happens to celebrities in the real world all the time. Clubs, restaurants and even some stores will pay to have celebrities show up at their place so this is nothing new it will just be open to college athletes as well. I can think of many legal scenarios that will allow athletes to get paid when in reality it is just being paid to play. Again, I expect some of those wealthy oil money rich alums in the state of Texas to quickly upgrade their programs once they realize how they can play this game. Sadly, I don't think App has many alums that can pay enough to entice recruits, but I do know there are plenty of schools that do. Ultimately, I predict many politicians will see these type of things as "unforeseen consequence" when in reality it is a very foreseeable future. While there will be many athletes that do legitimately benefit from their name, image or likeness whether through social media, endorsement, etc. There will also be widespread "pay for play" being legitimately done under the cover of "name, image and likeness".

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon May 10, 2021 8:28 pm

I'm puzzled as to why some of you have such animosity toward college athletes making money (legally of course)? Look, I agree that this NIL could get out of hand, but it isn't the fault of the athletes. I think we can all agree that the leadership of the NCAA is a joke at best. They have known this was coming for several years and have stuck their collective heads in the sand. The plan must be uniform in structure and not left to individual states. Heard today that the governor of Georgia has or will sign the bill when it gets to him that says that the athlete must allow the college to keep 74.99% of said funds which would be distributed to all athletes from all sports. Tell me that wouldn't create any issues??? It sounds like FL, AL, MS, and others are putting bills together, all of which are significantly different. Crazy!!!
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Mon May 10, 2021 8:45 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 2:34 pm
Here’s my question. How many athletes are going to have enough marketing value to actually make much money? I surmise it is just a small percentage of all college football players each year. The market supply and demand will balance this out over time.

I will not lose any sleep over this situation.
I think Kaiden Smith makes some interesting points about "content producers" who now have the opportunity for a revenue stream.
https://www.sportico.com/personalities/ ... 234618382/

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Tue May 11, 2021 12:05 pm

The most followed college athletes on Instagram and TikTok aren't football players from blue blood programs, but rather volleyball and WBB players. There's an Elon Football lineman that's real big on TikTok. He's said that he's on partial scholarship, so NLI in NC could help him pay off school. There's many really creative TikTok users who are not full ride student athletes. A cheerleader with the same following can do endorsements that student athletes can't do. And yes , you can make good money doing IG and TikTok endorsements.

Only FBS football, MBB, WBB and womens tennis among the sports App sponsors requires full scholarships. So you can't use the "they're getting a free education" line on them.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”