Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Getting some respect on scheduling

CornCobPipes
School: Appalachian State

Re: Getting some respect on scheduling

Unread post by CornCobPipes » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:10 pm

Don't get me wrong....I appreciate this post and discussion but I'm ready to keep improving recruiting big time and to take care of current business at hand and good things will come. It's a long shot but I would love to see us bust some Hurricane ass in Miami this year. We are way overdue.....I like to aim high!!!!! At the very least annihilate both Marshall and ECU. No time for diddle daddling.
KICK ASS!!!

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:23 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:04 pm
Appstate88 wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:58 pm
I really don’t care who we play out of conference. We will schedule the best match up we can get. 1-2 P5 games, 1-2 G5 and/or 1 FCS. Just wish all 4 games were played on Saturday.
Why don’t you care?

Understand. I would like to see us play quality opponents our fan base can drive to see for away games. I believe DG and crew are doing the best they can without giving the farm away to play a particular team. Who we play and when we play is really out of our control. That’s what I meant by the statement. I would like us to play an ACC or SEC school with them playing at KBS first so they don’t back out like UofSC did.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:38 pm

Recruiting is a 24/7/365 game so it factors into everything you do. Including scheduling. So playing outside of your geographic footprint can be cost prohibitive. BYU is a national brand. They have produced Heisman Trophy winners and Super Bowl MVPs. Most of this was done before the whole P5/G5 split. They have a longer history of relevance, but in reality, they are in a bit of a tougher spot than we are. As an Independent, they have a tougher road to a NY6 since the spot is reserved for a G5 champ.

I will say this about scheduling. DG can call any and everybody. But there are three possible outcomes. They can make the schedule work and schedule the game, they can want to play but can’t get it scheduled. Or the other end of the phone can say, “we have no interest in playing APP.” That has happened. DG won’t publicly out those ADs but yes, there are schools that don’t want to play us. Some of them may be the very schools that fans want us to play. No one knows for sure publicly and no one is going to know.
Last edited by AppSt94 on Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:38 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:38 pm
Recruiting is a 24/7/365 game so it factors into everything you do. Including scheduling. So playing outside of your geographic footprint can be cost prohibitive. BYU is a national brand. They have produced Heisman Trophy winners and Super Bowl MVPs. Most of this was done before the whole P5/G5 split. They have a longer history of relevance, but in reality, they are in a bit of a tougher spot than we are. As an Independent, they have a tougher road to a NY6 since the spot is reserved for a G5 champ.
I guess you could call it a tougher spot, but BYU is independent by choice. Certainly the MWC would take them back tomorrow if BYU made the call. I believe the Big 12 has had at least some interest in the past. They want to be the Mormon Notre Dame and have control over their schedule, for better or worse.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:27 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:42 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:03 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:31 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:09 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:30 pm
If we beat BYU do we get our own planet? asking for a friend
I really do wonder how much some of y’all grasp how to build a brand in college sports, or if you just don’t care. Beating UNCC, Elon, Marshall and the SBC outside of our friends in Myrtle and Lafayette ain’t it. There’s a reason why we didn’t sniff the NY6 in a 13-1 season with 2 P5 wins and a single conference loss, and that reason is brand recognition plain and simple.
Eh, I think it was more because Memphis and Boise both played in objectively better leagues than we did, the two P5s we beat on the last play were a combined 10-14, and we lost at home to a mediocre (to be generous) GS team.

But you are correct that we also trail them in brand building.
That’s kinda my point though, the AAC is always going to be the better conference therefore always getting the benefit of the doubt from the Playoff Committee as well as the media. The only way to counteract that is to build the brand to the point where App gets the benefit of the doubt.

Memphis beat one P5, a 4-8 Ole Miss 15-10 at home and lost to an 8-5 Temple who got absolutely blasted by UNC in the bowl game 55-13.

Boise State beats a 6-7 FSU squad 36-31 and loses to a 7-6 BYU squad (albeit they had 4 P5s on the schedule).

So essentially our performances against P5’s were the same, except we have an extra win both on the road and Memphis played Ole Miss at home. But because of brand name we weren’t even really talked about as being an option as the NY6 bid. I just don’t think that’s the case if we have scalps of schools like BYU and top AAC schools on the resume. Not saying we’d be a lock but certainly more talk about it than there was in 2019.
I think we had a legitimate case to make, as you say. But I also think, if you were to look at it completely objectively, (e.g., computer rankings, etc.), you could only pick one, and our resume was probably a hair behind theirs.

My point is, "brand" is important, but it's more about perception (and money) than merit. I think we came up a tiny bit short on the latter, and by a wider margin on the former.

To that point, it also couldn't have helped that Aresco always rides so hard for his member schools while Gill was on mute that whole year.
I definitely agree with you on the resume, and my terms of brand and perception here are interchangeable, so at some level i think we’re saying the same thing. General point being if we’re lining up and beating bigger OOC G5 names than say Charlotte year in and year out then i think it gets harder for the powers that be that set the bowl matchups to say, eh they’re just beating up on the Sun Belt.

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:25 pm

BYU and to a much lesser extent Liberty, are taking the path of the Norte Dames as an independent. The advantages for BYU is scheduling flexibility. Whether you consider them a G5 is interesting. This coming season they will play 5 P5 teams….. no other G5 is play 4, I think there is one that is playing 3. If they would go undefeated…. They would certainly be playing in a NY6 bowl…. maybe reach the playoffs. No G5 will sniff the playoffs. They are as close to a P5 team as there is. Liberty has stated that they want to be like BYU. They are not close but have tons of $$$$$. Time will tell.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:24 pm

BYU is a massive brand. We can play pretend all day, but playing and beating them would be huge. As it was for Coastal last year.

How many G5 teams have their own tv network? BYU does. A home and home with them would be incredible for us.
YNWA

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”