Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Getting some respect on scheduling

AtlAppMan
School: Appalachian State

Getting some respect on scheduling

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:03 pm

We have all been harping on our desire to schedule better teams and often discussed that it takes time since we have been gaining respect since move up to FBS. This article proves the point.

I would like to see an App/BYU home and home as well.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaaf ... NewsSearch

bigdaddyg

Re: Getting some respect on scheduling

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:18 am

By no means do I say this to be argumentative towards your home and home comment but personally I don’t see any reason for a series like this. Nice article I guess but it’s not like BYU is at the top of the G5 mountain. Is there anything to gain from a recruiting standpoint to play them? While it would be fun there are a whole bunch of other closer peer schools I’d rather see- Cincinnati, UCF, Wake (every year), etc.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:09 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:18 am
By no means do I say this to be argumentative towards your home and home comment but personally I don’t see any reason for a series like this. Nice article I guess but it’s not like BYU is at the top of the G5 mountain. Is there anything to gain from a recruiting standpoint to play them? While it would be fun there are a whole bunch of other closer peer schools I’d rather see- Cincinnati, UCF, Wake (every year), etc.
To be fair to the article, it is referencing who BYU should play. Not APP. I agree with your reasons stated. That same logic though can be applied by anyone wanting to schedule APP.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:35 am

Let me clarify my thoughts a bit more. My initial point was, other schools (or maybe national viewers) see App as a team that is now performing as a top G5 and overall a high FBS level. This naturally drives interest from a matchup perspective and helps their SOS. Anytime you are mentioned in the circle of other SEC teams like this it helps our national brand.

Separately I stated it would be a nice/interesting add to schedule if it worked out.

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:49 am

Nice that all the other programs mentioned that BYU should play are P5, and three SEC. I'd personally like to see Central Florida on App's schedule for a home and home.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:05 am

SpeedkingATL wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:49 am
Nice that all the other programs mentioned that BYU should play are P5, and three SEC. I'd personally like to see Central Florida on App's schedule for a home and home.
Either UCF or USF would be great. But would they want to? I mean, there isn’t much benefit for them unless they were looking at getting into Charlotte for recruiting.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:16 am

The benefit is they would sell a lot of tickets. Maybe they are already...I did not check their attendance. USF I think struggles with attendance.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:53 am

spacemonkey wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:16 am
The benefit is they would sell a lot of tickets. Maybe they are already...I did not check their attendance. USF I think struggles with attendance.
That is completely true in the case for USF. They play in a 70k seat stadium so there really is no capacity issues. Although, I don’t think that the upper levels are opened for USF. UCF wouldn’t necessarily see the same revenue bump from us. They pack it pretty regularly.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:25 pm

BYU is generally thought of as a strong team. I’d have no problems playing them. I’d prefer a home/home, but even if it’s a one off, I’m ok with that. We need to be willing to play anyone, at anytime, anywhere. You win those games and your legacy grows.
Give 'em hell!

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:40 pm

I am for playing whomever gets us on national TV at 3.30 pm or after so we get more eyes seeing the program.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:52 pm

Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:40 pm
I am for playing whomever gets us on national TV at 3.30 pm or after so we get more eyes seeing the program.
We screwed the pooch on a 3:30 slot last season
BLACK SATURDAY

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:14 pm

Does every game need to be play strictly for a recruiting stand point? I mean jeez guys, BYU is a national program with a National Championship on their resume and is always one of the best Non-P5 schools. CCU’s win over BYU last year largely validated CCU’s season in the eyes of the national media, which like it or not, largely drives college football. Wins over schools like BYU drive perception of your program and a win over BYU would further enhance the perception of App by many who just believe we’re “good for a Sun Belt school”. I’ll just never understand the poo-pooing of a potential BYU series by some on our message boards. Makes no sense.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:30 pm

If we beat BYU do we get our own planet? asking for a friend

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:09 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:30 pm
I really do wonder how much some of y’all grasp how to build a brand in college sports, or if you just don’t care. Beating UNCC, Elon, Marshall and the SBC outside of our friends in Myrtle and Lafayette ain’t it. There’s a reason why we didn’t sniff the NY6 in a 13-1 season with 2 P5 wins and a single conference loss, and that reason is brand recognition plain and simple.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:27 pm

BYU as a national brand is as big or bigger than pretty much anyone in G5. They're top 15 at best, respectable at worst (which is important since you have to schedule so far out). They would absolutely be a big home draw for us because casual fans have heard of them. It would also be the kind of intersectional matchup that could easily land a good TV slot.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:31 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:09 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
I really do wonder how much some of y’all grasp how to build a brand in college sports, or if you just don’t care. Beating UNCC, Elon, Marshall and the SBC outside of our friends in Myrtle and Lafayette ain’t it. There’s a reason why we didn’t sniff the NY6 in a 13-1 season with 2 P5 wins and a single conference loss, and that reason is brand recognition plain and simple.
Eh, I think it was more because Memphis and Boise both played in objectively better leagues than we did, the two P5s we beat on the last play were a combined 10-14, and we lost at home to a mediocre (to be generous) GS team.

But you are correct that we also trail them in brand building.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:58 pm

I really don’t care who we play out of conference. We will schedule the best match up we can get. 1-2 P5 games, 1-2 G5 and/or 1 FCS. Just wish all 4 games were played on Saturday.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:03 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:31 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:
Eh, I think it was more because Memphis and Boise both played in objectively better leagues than we did, the two P5s we beat on the last play were a combined 10-14, and we lost at home to a mediocre (to be generous) GS team.

That’s kinda my point though, the AAC is always going to be the better conference therefore always getting the benefit of the doubt from the Playoff Committee as well as the media. The only way to counteract that is to build the brand to the point where App gets the benefit of the doubt.

Memphis beat one P5, a 4-8 Ole Miss 15-10 at home and lost to an 8-5 Temple who got absolutely blasted by UNC in the bowl game 55-13.

Boise State beats a 6-7 FSU squad 36-31 and loses to a 7-6 BYU squad (albeit they had 4 P5s on the schedule).

So essentially our performances against P5’s were the same, except we have an extra win both on the road and Memphis played Ole Miss at home. But because of brand name we weren’t even really talked about as being an option as the NY6 bid. I just don’t think that’s the case if we have scalps of schools like BYU and top AAC schools on the resume. Not saying we’d be a lock but certainly more talk about it than there was in 2019.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:04 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:58 pm
I really don’t care who we play out of conference. We will schedule the best match up we can get. 1-2 P5 games, 1-2 G5 and/or 1 FCS. Just wish all 4 games were played on Saturday.
Why don’t you care?

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:42 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:03 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:31 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:

That’s kinda my point though, the AAC is always going to be the better conference therefore always getting the benefit of the doubt from the Playoff Committee as well as the media. The only way to counteract that is to build the brand to the point where App gets the benefit of the doubt.

Memphis beat one P5, a 4-8 Ole Miss 15-10 at home and lost to an 8-5 Temple who got absolutely blasted by UNC in the bowl game 55-13.

Boise State beats a 6-7 FSU squad 36-31 and loses to a 7-6 BYU squad (albeit they had 4 P5s on the schedule).

So essentially our performances against P5’s were the same, except we have an extra win both on the road and Memphis played Ole Miss at home. But because of brand name we weren’t even really talked about as being an option as the NY6 bid. I just don’t think that’s the case if we have scalps of schools like BYU and top AAC schools on the resume. Not saying we’d be a lock but certainly more talk about it than there was in 2019.
I think we had a legitimate case to make, as you say. But I also think, if you were to look at it completely objectively, (e.g., computer rankings, etc.), you could only pick one, and our resume was probably a hair behind theirs.

My point is, "brand" is important, but it's more about perception (and money) than merit. I think we came up a tiny bit short on the latter, and by a wider margin on the former.

To that point, it also couldn't have helped that Aresco always rides so hard for his member schools while Gill was on mute that whole year.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”