Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

12 team playoff? All P5 conference champs to be in, 1 G5 Champ, six at large

APPdiesel
School: Appalachian State

Re: 12 team playoff? All P5 conference champs to be in, 1 G5 Champ, six at large

Unread post by APPdiesel » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:34 pm

here's the full length. He dropped some bombs.

https://omny.fm/shows/offsides-with-mar ... -coach-jam
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

BambooRdApp

Re: 12 team playoff? All P5 conference champs to be in, 1 G5 Champ, six at large

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:59 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:34 pm

I hope we beat them by 50!!!
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:08 pm

APPdiesel wrote:

Thanks for sharing. “America’s Team”? Bahahahaha.

NeersBy90

Unread post by NeersBy90 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:06 am

APPdiesel wrote:

Thanks for sharing. Some of those questions were kind of leading. I get the "America's Team" thing because they were kind of the darlings last year (even though I think most of us hate them).

The question comparing them Gonzaga was ridiculous.

They have had 1 winning season and now "coastal Carolina has now cemented itself as a top 2 or 3 contender in the SunBelt"... Come on man. We were depleted in a big way and still damn near beat them last year. They're much improved but they haven't "cemented" anything.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:27 am

NeersBy90 wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:06 am
APPdiesel wrote:

Thanks for sharing. Some of those questions were kind of leading. I get the "America's Team" thing because they were kind of the darlings last year (even though I think most of us hate them).

They have had 1 winning season and now "coastal Carolina has now cemented itself as a top 2 or 3 contender in the SunBelt"... Come on man. We were depleted in a big way and still damn near beat them last year. They're much improved but they haven't "cemented" anything.
It does sound comical but we should not care or worry about it. They are branding themselves and making statements for attention like they need to. If we, or anyone else, is tired of hearing it then we can put an end to it with a win this fall. That is the only way to shut them up because I can promise you that Chadwell wants out of CCU badly and he is going to use the media every way he can to put his name out there and brand them in a way that gets him something he desperately wants... a P5 HC job.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:35 pm

NeersBy90 wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:

1. Coastal is in our state...so we play nice with them.
2. We asked if "a Gonzaga type school could emerge" (at least that was the spirit of the question, I didn't go back and listening to the actual wording).
3. Yes, I'm an App alum and fan, but I'm a professional who doesn't let my allegiance affect my tone with guests...so I play nice. Over the past few years we had both Scott Satterfield and Eli Drinkwitz on and I played it down the middle with them as well. This is ESPN affiliate radio, not fanboy radio.
4. As you said, Coastal was a hot name in 2020. Can't deny that. We can all let our fandom cloud that, but it happened.

A few years ago I was invited to UGA to speak to graduating UGA (and other area colleges) broadcasting students. We had an "aircheck" session where these students played their demos and we reacted. A kid pressed play on a video demo that was loaded with goofy props and over the top UGA homer takes. Everyone praised it like it was SOOOO funny and so great. I asked "let me guess, you go to school here?" His chest puffed out with pride and said "yes I do". I said "unless you want to stay in South East Georgia for your entire career you better cut that out. Homer radio will never get you out of this state". Tough love, but he needed to hear it. National radio hosts can let you know their allegiances without being homers.

NeersBy90

Unread post by NeersBy90 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:47 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:35 pm
NeersBy90 wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:

1. Coastal is in our state...so we play nice with them.
2. We asked if "a Gonzaga type school could emerge" (at least that was the spirit of the question, I didn't go back and listening to the actual wording).
3. Yes, I'm an App alum and fan, but I'm a professional who doesn't let my allegiance affect my tone with guests...so I play nice. Over the past few years we had both Scott Satterfield and Eli Drinkwitz on and I played it down the middle with them as well. This is ESPN affiliate radio, not fanboy radio.
4. As you said, Coastal was a hot name in 2020. Can't deny that. We can all let our fandom cloud that, but it happened.

A few years ago I was invited to UGA to speak to graduating UGA (and other area colleges) broadcasting students. We had an "aircheck" session where these students played their demos and we reacted. A kid pressed play on a video demo that was loaded with goofy props and over the top UGA homer takes. Everyone praised it like it was SOOOO funny and so great. I asked "let me guess, you go to school here?" His chest puffed out with pride and said "yes I do". I said "unless you want to stay in South East Georgia for your entire career you better cut that out. Homer radio will never get you out of this state". Tough love, but he needed to hear it. National radio hosts can let you know their allegiances without being homers.
I completely get everything you said here. It was incredibly professional and well done. The Gonzaga thing, and the one comment about them being cemented into the top spots of SunBelt rubbed me the wrong way and came across as gushy. I have no issue with playing the middle of the road and applaud it in that line of work (I dont think I could keep it in the middle).

That is just my opinion. Other than those 2 points, I enjoyed it tremendously and I sincerely apologize if my previous comments came across as rude. That was not my intent.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:43 pm

You're good, I promise. Marc Ryan does kind of get a little heavy handed with his praise. But it's the first time we've ever interviewed Jamey Chadwell, so he might've laid it on a little thick to ingratiate ourselves. He's gone after South Carolina pretty hard and rubbed them the wrong way. As far as the "cemented"...probably some of what I said before and being a prisoner of the moment.

NeersBy90

Unread post by NeersBy90 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:58 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:43 pm
You're good, I promise. Marc Ryan does kind of get a little heavy handed with his praise. But it's the first time we've ever interviewed Jamey Chadwell, so he might've laid it on a little thick to ingratiate ourselves. He's gone after South Carolina pretty hard and rubbed them the wrong way. As far as the "cemented"...probably some of what I said before and being a prisoner of the moment.
I get that completely, and its sounds like it worked as far as ingratiating yourselves as he said he'd come on every week if you'd have him haha. I hope he's singing a different tune this time next year!

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:38 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:43 pm
I feel like you could do a segment each week on the show.."App St South" ...have a different App St FB assistant on each week with Coach Clark on once a month... we need those recruits in the area... definitely a ratings blockbuster idea 😁
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:37 am

Regarding Coastal, it's painful in the short term seeing and hearing them get all the kudos but our destiny remains solidly in our own control. As others have said, when App beats them this fall, the world is set right again. In this day and age, every team that gets the "Cinderella" title uses the "America's Team" designation. It's a stretch but whatever. A few years ago, lots of folks were talking about Florida Gulf Coast basketball but I haven't heard much lately. I think Coastal is actually on a good trajectory and I don't think they're just a flash in the pan, but I also don't think they've really proven much yet. For now, they're in the top tier of the Belt. Troy was there until their coach left. It's actually a good thing for App and the Belt if Coastal remains a solid program but I don't think they are quite ready to challenge App's dynasty status just yet.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:49 am

I for one put little to no stock into last year. It was jacked up from the start. We had conferences completely shut it down, others jumping in halfway through the season, games with no fans, long pauses due to Covid, etc. We had coaching changes, schedules messed up for practices, etc. Granted we were in the same boat as everyone else but still. Coastal played well and deserves credit but realistically if more of the big boys had played and had it been a normal year that pub would have been much less. I have felt for years that Coastal should do well in athletics given the built in advantage of being able to offer kids the opportunity to live at the beach. While I adamantly think living in God’s County trumps the coast young kids might see it slightly different.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:31 pm

With the talent they have coming back after the season they had last year (rationalize it however you want), one should expect them to be right in the thick of things again this season. As defending East champs, there is no reason not to think they can't/won't do it again. Its the safe bet. I think we can try and find ways to demean them but until we unseat them, they deserve our respect or at least our attention.

To be honest, I see a lot of the derogatory and belittling comments as more a sign of concern on our fan's part. If we truly thought they were a flash in the pan, I don't think we would see so many reacting negatively to all their favorable press. I see absolutely no reason that they won't be a factor this year and the year's to come. Also I wish we could generate an overall athletic profile like their's. They absolutely left us in the dust in this year's Bubas Cup.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:31 am

CCU has the best x's and o's coach in the SBC. CCU doesn't have the overall talent and depth App and ULL have, but he outcoached both last year.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:55 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:31 am
CCU has the best x's and o's coach in the SBC. CCU doesn't have the overall talent and depth App and ULL have, but he outcoached both last year.
What is lost about last year is the distinct advantage that CCU had over most of their conference brethren. They were allowed back on campus in early June and were able to conduct their off-season program with little to no infringements. Most SBC schools, including APP couldn’t. The playing field should be more level this year.

NeersBy90

Unread post by NeersBy90 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:07 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:55 am
Saint3333 wrote:
What is lost about last year is the distinct advantage that CCU had over most of their conference brethren. They were allowed back on campus in early June and were able to conduct their off-season program with little to no infringements. Most SBC schools, including APP couldn’t. The playing field should be more level this year.
This may be a result of what you referenced but, they were also able to stay (for the most part) healthy last year, unlike us.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:33 pm

NeersBy90 wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:07 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:55 am
Saint3333 wrote:
This may be a result of what you referenced but, they were also able to stay (for the most part) healthy last year, unlike us.
They were and we were not. That was a given so I didn’t mention it as a factor. Chadwell made an interesting comment in the interview the Diesel posted. He said that while they are returning a lot of starters, they are losing a lot of leadership. That will be interesting to see how that affects their season.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”