• Birthdays

12 team playoff? All P5 conference champs to be in, 1 G5 Champ, six at large

User avatar
NeersBy90
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:15 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 181 times
Been thanked: 31 times

Re: 12 team playoff? All P5 conference champs to be in, 1 G5 Champ, six at large

Unread post by NeersBy90 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:44 am

huskie3 wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:55 pm
If they aren’t taking all 10 conference champs, then why change anything?
More "Playoff" games means more eyeballs and more money for the same top tier teams. Unfortunately, that's basically what it comes down too.



bigdaddyg
Posts: 3802
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:08 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 1242 times

Re: 12 team playoff? All P5 conference champs to be in, 1 G5 Champ, six at large

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:20 am

One aspect of this whole thing that most are completely ignoring is the increased number of games these guys will have to play. I’m not a proponent of paying college athletes but for some their seasons will get ridiculous. The big boys who most likely will end up playing for the championship will play 12 regular season games, a conference championship game and 3 or 4 post season games. They will have Spring practice, fall camp and then games for about 4-5 months. As a fan I’m all for football but all this expansion will take a toll. Just the flip side of this.



Yosef10
Posts: 1585
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:15 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 273 times
Been thanked: 595 times

Re: 12 team playoff? All P5 conference champs to be in, 1 G5 Champ, six at large

Unread post by Yosef10 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:21 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:22 am
It’s funny…I read message boards (I like to see if our fans sound as crazy as others). Some of us think we’re shoe-ins for the AAC because we have good football. Georgia State and UAB think they’re shoe-ins because “marketz”. JMU thinks they’re shoe-ins because of their facilities.

AAC fans don’t want any of us. A stray fan may say “App State for football only” but that gets shot down quickly. They want Army, Air Force, Boise State, or BYU (who they obviously won’t get). AAC fans only want a program that will instantly vault them into P6 status and the only program that could already turned them down.

Now obviously fans don’t make big decisions (and that’s a good thing because we’re all unhinged) but most AAC fans right now are saying “stay put at 11 until we have no other choice than to extend an invitation”.
I see no reason why the AAC would move off of 11, if we’re being honest App isn’t gonna add money to an AAC TV deal most likely and adding a team would just reduce money from the other 11.

That being said, I still find it wild that the AAC isn’t the goal for most App fans. The regional stuff is a pipe dream, ain’t happening. Now with the playoff expanding to 12 there’s a pretty decent to significant chance the AAC leaves the rest of the G5 behind, Mike Aresco said as much yesterday. I just don’t get why App fans want to get left behind, yet again, especially when we’ll have a brand new $50M facility sitting on the North side, pretty much going to waste. Money could have definitely been spent elsewhere. But hey, at least y’all will have driveable games to JMU again.



User avatar
NavyApp
Posts: 1267
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:00 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: ENC
Has thanked: 2501 times
Been thanked: 1040 times

Re: 12 team playoff? All P5 conference champs to be in, 1 G5 Champ, six at large

Unread post by NavyApp » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:28 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:21 am
APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:22 am
It’s funny…I read message boards (I like to see if our fans sound as crazy as others). Some of us think we’re shoe-ins for the AAC because we have good football. Georgia State and UAB think they’re shoe-ins because “marketz”. JMU thinks they’re shoe-ins because of their facilities.

AAC fans don’t want any of us. A stray fan may say “App State for football only” but that gets shot down quickly. They want Army, Air Force, Boise State, or BYU (who they obviously won’t get). AAC fans only want a program that will instantly vault them into P6 status and the only program that could already turned them down.

Now obviously fans don’t make big decisions (and that’s a good thing because we’re all unhinged) but most AAC fans right now are saying “stay put at 11 until we have no other choice than to extend an invitation”.
I see no reason why the AAC would move off of 11, if we’re being honest App isn’t gonna add money to an AAC TV deal most likely and adding a team would just reduce money from the other 11.

That being said, I still find it wild that the AAC isn’t the goal for most App fans. The regional stuff is a pipe dream, ain’t happening. Now with the playoff expanding to 12 there’s a pretty decent to significant chance the AAC leaves the rest of the G5 behind, Mike Aresco said as much yesterday. I just don’t get why App fans want to get left behind, yet again, especially when we’ll have a brand new $50M facility sitting on the North side, pretty much going to waste. Money could have definitely been spent elsewhere. But hey, at least y’all will have driveable games to JMU again.
I mean of course the AAC would be awesome...for football. But the likelihood in this moment right now of a football only offer coming our way from the AAC is the exact same as a huge conference realignment. ZERO. Let's not kid ourselves, that invite is not coming anytime soon, no matter how many of us want it or don't want it. So why not have more than one pipedream? None of it will happen so why not have some fun and flesh out some other ideas, it is a message board after all.


FREQS AND GEEKS!

AppStFan1
Posts: 3157
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 155 times
Been thanked: 620 times

Re: 12 team playoff? All P5 conference champs to be in, 1 G5 Champ, six at large

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:40 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:21 am
APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:22 am
It’s funny…I read message boards (I like to see if our fans sound as crazy as others). Some of us think we’re shoe-ins for the AAC because we have good football. Georgia State and UAB think they’re shoe-ins because “marketz”. JMU thinks they’re shoe-ins because of their facilities.

AAC fans don’t want any of us. A stray fan may say “App State for football only” but that gets shot down quickly. They want Army, Air Force, Boise State, or BYU (who they obviously won’t get). AAC fans only want a program that will instantly vault them into P6 status and the only program that could already turned them down.

Now obviously fans don’t make big decisions (and that’s a good thing because we’re all unhinged) but most AAC fans right now are saying “stay put at 11 until we have no other choice than to extend an invitation”.
I see no reason why the AAC would move off of 11, if we’re being honest App isn’t gonna add money to an AAC TV deal most likely and adding a team would just reduce money from the other 11.

That being said, I still find it wild that the AAC isn’t the goal for most App fans. The regional stuff is a pipe dream, ain’t happening. Now with the playoff expanding to 12 there’s a pretty decent to significant chance the AAC leaves the rest of the G5 behind, Mike Aresco said as much yesterday. I just don’t get why App fans want to get left behind, yet again, especially when we’ll have a brand new $50M facility sitting on the North side, pretty much going to waste. Money could have definitely been spent elsewhere. But hey, at least y’all will have driveable games to JMU again.
All of their fans are right about what they have going for them but UAB is the best shot of that group. JMU won't get to skip everyone and go straight to AAC from the FCS and Ga State is not good enough at football. I'm sure the AAC saw what happened to C-USA for just going after TV markets and how that has set them back on the field.

AAC definitely does not want anyone else at the moment but if they invite us we should jump for sure. The good news is that Gillin and those with a say would accept the invite so I'm glad they are in charge. Like you said, a regional conference would only set us back.

I wonder if the same people who don't think we should go to the AAC are the ones who warned that moving FBS would be a mistake?



Yosef10
Posts: 1585
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:15 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 273 times
Been thanked: 595 times

Re: 12 team playoff? All P5 conference champs to be in, 1 G5 Champ, six at large

Unread post by Yosef10 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:23 am

NavyApp wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:28 am
Yosef10 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:21 am
APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:22 am
It’s funny…I read message boards (I like to see if our fans sound as crazy as others). Some of us think we’re shoe-ins for the AAC because we have good football. Georgia State and UAB think they’re shoe-ins because “marketz”. JMU thinks they’re shoe-ins because of their facilities.

AAC fans don’t want any of us. A stray fan may say “App State for football only” but that gets shot down quickly. They want Army, Air Force, Boise State, or BYU (who they obviously won’t get). AAC fans only want a program that will instantly vault them into P6 status and the only program that could already turned them down.

Now obviously fans don’t make big decisions (and that’s a good thing because we’re all unhinged) but most AAC fans right now are saying “stay put at 11 until we have no other choice than to extend an invitation”.
I see no reason why the AAC would move off of 11, if we’re being honest App isn’t gonna add money to an AAC TV deal most likely and adding a team would just reduce money from the other 11.

That being said, I still find it wild that the AAC isn’t the goal for most App fans. The regional stuff is a pipe dream, ain’t happening. Now with the playoff expanding to 12 there’s a pretty decent to significant chance the AAC leaves the rest of the G5 behind, Mike Aresco said as much yesterday. I just don’t get why App fans want to get left behind, yet again, especially when we’ll have a brand new $50M facility sitting on the North side, pretty much going to waste. Money could have definitely been spent elsewhere. But hey, at least y’all will have driveable games to JMU again.
I mean of course the AAC would be awesome...for football. But the likelihood in this moment right now of a football only offer coming our way from the AAC is the exact same as a huge conference realignment. ZERO. Let's not kid ourselves, that invite is not coming anytime soon, no matter how many of us want it or don't want it. So why not have more than one pipedream? None of it will happen so why not have some fun and flesh out some other ideas, it is a message board after all.
I guess my point is there are very clearly some do not think it would be awesome. Which i don’t understand. I also wouldn’t say ZERO, probably not much more but not sure i agree with ZERO. But yep we’re in agreement, talking about it is what message boards are for.



User avatar
NavyApp
Posts: 1267
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:00 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: ENC
Has thanked: 2501 times
Been thanked: 1040 times

Re: 12 team playoff? All P5 conference champs to be in, 1 G5 Champ, six at large

Unread post by NavyApp » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:45 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:23 am
NavyApp wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:28 am
Yosef10 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:21 am
APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:22 am
It’s funny…I read message boards (I like to see if our fans sound as crazy as others). Some of us think we’re shoe-ins for the AAC because we have good football. Georgia State and UAB think they’re shoe-ins because “marketz”. JMU thinks they’re shoe-ins because of their facilities.

AAC fans don’t want any of us. A stray fan may say “App State for football only” but that gets shot down quickly. They want Army, Air Force, Boise State, or BYU (who they obviously won’t get). AAC fans only want a program that will instantly vault them into P6 status and the only program that could already turned them down.

Now obviously fans don’t make big decisions (and that’s a good thing because we’re all unhinged) but most AAC fans right now are saying “stay put at 11 until we have no other choice than to extend an invitation”.
I see no reason why the AAC would move off of 11, if we’re being honest App isn’t gonna add money to an AAC TV deal most likely and adding a team would just reduce money from the other 11.

That being said, I still find it wild that the AAC isn’t the goal for most App fans. The regional stuff is a pipe dream, ain’t happening. Now with the playoff expanding to 12 there’s a pretty decent to significant chance the AAC leaves the rest of the G5 behind, Mike Aresco said as much yesterday. I just don’t get why App fans want to get left behind, yet again, especially when we’ll have a brand new $50M facility sitting on the North side, pretty much going to waste. Money could have definitely been spent elsewhere. But hey, at least y’all will have driveable games to JMU again.
I mean of course the AAC would be awesome...for football. But the likelihood in this moment right now of a football only offer coming our way from the AAC is the exact same as a huge conference realignment. ZERO. Let's not kid ourselves, that invite is not coming anytime soon, no matter how many of us want it or don't want it. So why not have more than one pipedream? None of it will happen so why not have some fun and flesh out some other ideas, it is a message board after all.
I guess my point is there are very clearly some do not think it would be awesome. Which i don’t understand. I also wouldn’t say ZERO, probably not much more but not sure i agree with ZERO. But yep we’re in agreement, talking about it is what message boards are for.
I guess I just don't pay enough attention to the comments by people who are anti AAC lol.


FREQS AND GEEKS!

User avatar
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09
Posts: 2422
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 2:05 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Virginia
Has thanked: 495 times
Been thanked: 1173 times

Re: 12 team playoff? All P5 conference champs to be in, 1 G5 Champ, six at large

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:22 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:21 am
APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:22 am
It’s funny…I read message boards (I like to see if our fans sound as crazy as others). Some of us think we’re shoe-ins for the AAC because we have good football. Georgia State and UAB think they’re shoe-ins because “marketz”. JMU thinks they’re shoe-ins because of their facilities.

AAC fans don’t want any of us. A stray fan may say “App State for football only” but that gets shot down quickly. They want Army, Air Force, Boise State, or BYU (who they obviously won’t get). AAC fans only want a program that will instantly vault them into P6 status and the only program that could already turned them down.

Now obviously fans don’t make big decisions (and that’s a good thing because we’re all unhinged) but most AAC fans right now are saying “stay put at 11 until we have no other choice than to extend an invitation”.
I see no reason why the AAC would move off of 11, if we’re being honest App isn’t gonna add money to an AAC TV deal most likely and adding a team would just reduce money from the other 11.

That being said, I still find it wild that the AAC isn’t the goal for most App fans. The regional stuff is a pipe dream, ain’t happening. Now with the playoff expanding to 12 there’s a pretty decent to significant chance the AAC leaves the rest of the G5 behind, Mike Aresco said as much yesterday. I just don’t get why App fans want to get left behind, yet again, especially when we’ll have a brand new $50M facility sitting on the North side, pretty much going to waste. Money could have definitely been spent elsewhere. But hey, at least y’all will have driveable games to JMU again.
There has to be a realistic plan in place in order to set joining the AAC as a goal. Sure the television deal is lucrative, but how many of those schools post pandemic will now want to split that with another school? Isn't the television deal for more than just football? Would the AAC want App State, realistically? I'd think we're not even top 3 for their consideration. If you or anyone could set forth a proposal that would win the hearts of the AAC and have them calling D.G. today, then by all means. Some people such as myself, while having desires to be larger than the Sun Belt, are prepared to embrace the reality that has been created by the P5 conferences and committee.



BallantyneApp
Posts: 393
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:33 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 49 times
Been thanked: 234 times

Re: 12 team playoff? All P5 conference champs to be in, 1 G5 Champ, six at large

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:03 pm

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:22 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:21 am
APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:22 am
It’s funny…I read message boards (I like to see if our fans sound as crazy as others). Some of us think we’re shoe-ins for the AAC because we have good football. Georgia State and UAB think they’re shoe-ins because “marketz”. JMU thinks they’re shoe-ins because of their facilities.

AAC fans don’t want any of us. A stray fan may say “App State for football only” but that gets shot down quickly. They want Army, Air Force, Boise State, or BYU (who they obviously won’t get). AAC fans only want a program that will instantly vault them into P6 status and the only program that could already turned them down.

Now obviously fans don’t make big decisions (and that’s a good thing because we’re all unhinged) but most AAC fans right now are saying “stay put at 11 until we have no other choice than to extend an invitation”.
I see no reason why the AAC would move off of 11, if we’re being honest App isn’t gonna add money to an AAC TV deal most likely and adding a team would just reduce money from the other 11.

That being said, I still find it wild that the AAC isn’t the goal for most App fans. The regional stuff is a pipe dream, ain’t happening. Now with the playoff expanding to 12 there’s a pretty decent to significant chance the AAC leaves the rest of the G5 behind, Mike Aresco said as much yesterday. I just don’t get why App fans want to get left behind, yet again, especially when we’ll have a brand new $50M facility sitting on the North side, pretty much going to waste. Money could have definitely been spent elsewhere. But hey, at least y’all will have driveable games to JMU again.
There has to be a realistic plan in place in order to set joining the AAC as a goal. Sure the television deal is lucrative, but how many of those schools post pandemic will now want to split that with another school? Isn't the television deal for more than just football? Would the AAC want App State, realistically? I'd think we're not even top 3 for their consideration. If you or anyone could set forth a proposal that would win the hearts of the AAC and have them calling D.G. today, then by all means. Some people such as myself, while having desires to be larger than the Sun Belt, are prepared to embrace the reality that has been created by the P5 conferences and committee.
App getting into the AAC requires 2 things (from an athletic perspective):

1. consistent top 25 rankings for the next 5-7 years. multiple NY6 invites, at least one win, and importantly "stealing" one from a deserving AAC team.
2. Continuous improvement in M/W basketball. We don't have to be world beaters, but they have to be respectable.
3. All other sports have zero bearing on conference affiliation

From an academic perspective, even though we are a very well respected institution, our lack of Phd programs might keep us out regardless of academic success.

from a football competitiveness standpoint, we're already there



AppSt94
Posts: 5259
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Lexington, NC
Has thanked: 2684 times
Been thanked: 1576 times

Re: 12 team playoff? All P5 conference champs to be in, 1 G5 Champ, six at large

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:24 pm

BallantyneApp wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:03 pm
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:22 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:21 am
APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:22 am
It’s funny…I read message boards (I like to see if our fans sound as crazy as others). Some of us think we’re shoe-ins for the AAC because we have good football. Georgia State and UAB think they’re shoe-ins because “marketz”. JMU thinks they’re shoe-ins because of their facilities.

AAC fans don’t want any of us. A stray fan may say “App State for football only” but that gets shot down quickly. They want Army, Air Force, Boise State, or BYU (who they obviously won’t get). AAC fans only want a program that will instantly vault them into P6 status and the only program that could already turned them down.

Now obviously fans don’t make big decisions (and that’s a good thing because we’re all unhinged) but most AAC fans right now are saying “stay put at 11 until we have no other choice than to extend an invitation”.
I see no reason why the AAC would move off of 11, if we’re being honest App isn’t gonna add money to an AAC TV deal most likely and adding a team would just reduce money from the other 11.

That being said, I still find it wild that the AAC isn’t the goal for most App fans. The regional stuff is a pipe dream, ain’t happening. Now with the playoff expanding to 12 there’s a pretty decent to significant chance the AAC leaves the rest of the G5 behind, Mike Aresco said as much yesterday. I just don’t get why App fans want to get left behind, yet again, especially when we’ll have a brand new $50M facility sitting on the North side, pretty much going to waste. Money could have definitely been spent elsewhere. But hey, at least y’all will have driveable games to JMU again.
There has to be a realistic plan in place in order to set joining the AAC as a goal. Sure the television deal is lucrative, but how many of those schools post pandemic will now want to split that with another school? Isn't the television deal for more than just football? Would the AAC want App State, realistically? I'd think we're not even top 3 for their consideration. If you or anyone could set forth a proposal that would win the hearts of the AAC and have them calling D.G. today, then by all means. Some people such as myself, while having desires to be larger than the Sun Belt, are prepared to embrace the reality that has been created by the P5 conferences and committee.
App getting into the AAC requires 2 things (from an athletic perspective):

1. consistent top 25 rankings for the next 5-7 years. multiple NY6 invites, at least one win, and importantly "stealing" one from a deserving AAC team.
2. Continuous improvement in M/W basketball. We don't have to be world beaters, but they have to be respectable.
3. All other sports have zero bearing on conference affiliation

From an academic perspective, even though we are a very well respected institution, our lack of Phd programs might keep us out regardless of academic success.

from a football competitiveness standpoint, we're already there
Don’t forget the appreciable increase to our overall athletic budget needed to get to the bottom tier of AAC members.



User avatar
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09
Posts: 2422
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 2:05 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Virginia
Has thanked: 495 times
Been thanked: 1173 times

Re: 12 team playoff? All P5 conference champs to be in, 1 G5 Champ, six at large

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:29 pm

BallantyneApp wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:03 pm
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:22 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:21 am
APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:22 am
It’s funny…I read message boards (I like to see if our fans sound as crazy as others). Some of us think we’re shoe-ins for the AAC because we have good football. Georgia State and UAB think they’re shoe-ins because “marketz”. JMU thinks they’re shoe-ins because of their facilities.

AAC fans don’t want any of us. A stray fan may say “App State for football only” but that gets shot down quickly. They want Army, Air Force, Boise State, or BYU (who they obviously won’t get). AAC fans only want a program that will instantly vault them into P6 status and the only program that could already turned them down.

Now obviously fans don’t make big decisions (and that’s a good thing because we’re all unhinged) but most AAC fans right now are saying “stay put at 11 until we have no other choice than to extend an invitation”.
I see no reason why the AAC would move off of 11, if we’re being honest App isn’t gonna add money to an AAC TV deal most likely and adding a team would just reduce money from the other 11.

That being said, I still find it wild that the AAC isn’t the goal for most App fans. The regional stuff is a pipe dream, ain’t happening. Now with the playoff expanding to 12 there’s a pretty decent to significant chance the AAC leaves the rest of the G5 behind, Mike Aresco said as much yesterday. I just don’t get why App fans want to get left behind, yet again, especially when we’ll have a brand new $50M facility sitting on the North side, pretty much going to waste. Money could have definitely been spent elsewhere. But hey, at least y’all will have driveable games to JMU again.
There has to be a realistic plan in place in order to set joining the AAC as a goal. Sure the television deal is lucrative, but how many of those schools post pandemic will now want to split that with another school? Isn't the television deal for more than just football? Would the AAC want App State, realistically? I'd think we're not even top 3 for their consideration. If you or anyone could set forth a proposal that would win the hearts of the AAC and have them calling D.G. today, then by all means. Some people such as myself, while having desires to be larger than the Sun Belt, are prepared to embrace the reality that has been created by the P5 conferences and committee.
App getting into the AAC requires 2 things (from an athletic perspective):

1. consistent top 25 rankings for the next 5-7 years. multiple NY6 invites, at least one win, and importantly "stealing" one from a deserving AAC team.
2. Continuous improvement in M/W basketball. We don't have to be world beaters, but they have to be respectable.
3. All other sports have zero bearing on conference affiliation

From an academic perspective, even though we are a very well respected institution, our lack of Phd programs might keep us out regardless of academic success.

from a football competitiveness standpoint, we're already there
I know we could be competitive in the AAC. Does that mean 6-8 wins, making a bowl game, and having a close game or two with the top teams....or does it mean we're fighting for a conference title spot each year? I agree with your first point..we still have something to prove in the rankings on a consistent basis. AAC doesn't want someone who they feel would join just to finish middle of the standings. 5-7 years of continued success in basketball as well as rankings for football...but who knows what the AAC looks like at that point.



Yosef10
Posts: 1585
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:15 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 273 times
Been thanked: 595 times

Re: 12 team playoff? All P5 conference champs to be in, 1 G5 Champ, six at large

Unread post by Yosef10 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:32 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:40 am
Yosef10 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:21 am
APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:22 am
It’s funny…I read message boards (I like to see if our fans sound as crazy as others). Some of us think we’re shoe-ins for the AAC because we have good football. Georgia State and UAB think they’re shoe-ins because “marketz”. JMU thinks they’re shoe-ins because of their facilities.

AAC fans don’t want any of us. A stray fan may say “App State for football only” but that gets shot down quickly. They want Army, Air Force, Boise State, or BYU (who they obviously won’t get). AAC fans only want a program that will instantly vault them into P6 status and the only program that could already turned them down.

Now obviously fans don’t make big decisions (and that’s a good thing because we’re all unhinged) but most AAC fans right now are saying “stay put at 11 until we have no other choice than to extend an invitation”.
I see no reason why the AAC would move off of 11, if we’re being honest App isn’t gonna add money to an AAC TV deal most likely and adding a team would just reduce money from the other 11.

That being said, I still find it wild that the AAC isn’t the goal for most App fans. The regional stuff is a pipe dream, ain’t happening. Now with the playoff expanding to 12 there’s a pretty decent to significant chance the AAC leaves the rest of the G5 behind, Mike Aresco said as much yesterday. I just don’t get why App fans want to get left behind, yet again, especially when we’ll have a brand new $50M facility sitting on the North side, pretty much going to waste. Money could have definitely been spent elsewhere. But hey, at least y’all will have driveable games to JMU again.
All of their fans are right about what they have going for them but UAB is the best shot of that group. JMU won't get to skip everyone and go straight to AAC from the FCS and Ga State is not good enough at football. I'm sure the AAC saw what happened to C-USA for just going after TV markets and how that has set them back on the field.

AAC definitely does not want anyone else at the moment but if they invite us we should jump for sure. The good news is that Gillin and those with a say would accept the invite so I'm glad they are in charge. Like you said, a regional conference would only set us back.

I wonder if the same people who don't think we should go to the AAC are the ones who warned that moving FBS would be a mistake?
You’re sure Gillin would accept? There are those out there who think it’s a no go due to budget concerns, which i don’t necessarily disagree with. I just think it’s something you do and figure it out as you go along. I’m in the camp of I think we could compete now in the AAC even at our current budget. I guess the concern is the other sports, which to be frank I’m not as concerned about. We know what drives the bus.



User avatar
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09
Posts: 2422
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 2:05 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Virginia
Has thanked: 495 times
Been thanked: 1173 times

Re: 12 team playoff? All P5 conference champs to be in, 1 G5 Champ, six at large

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:09 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:32 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:40 am
Yosef10 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:21 am
APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:22 am
It’s funny…I read message boards (I like to see if our fans sound as crazy as others). Some of us think we’re shoe-ins for the AAC because we have good football. Georgia State and UAB think they’re shoe-ins because “marketz”. JMU thinks they’re shoe-ins because of their facilities.

AAC fans don’t want any of us. A stray fan may say “App State for football only” but that gets shot down quickly. They want Army, Air Force, Boise State, or BYU (who they obviously won’t get). AAC fans only want a program that will instantly vault them into P6 status and the only program that could already turned them down.

Now obviously fans don’t make big decisions (and that’s a good thing because we’re all unhinged) but most AAC fans right now are saying “stay put at 11 until we have no other choice than to extend an invitation”.
I see no reason why the AAC would move off of 11, if we’re being honest App isn’t gonna add money to an AAC TV deal most likely and adding a team would just reduce money from the other 11.

That being said, I still find it wild that the AAC isn’t the goal for most App fans. The regional stuff is a pipe dream, ain’t happening. Now with the playoff expanding to 12 there’s a pretty decent to significant chance the AAC leaves the rest of the G5 behind, Mike Aresco said as much yesterday. I just don’t get why App fans want to get left behind, yet again, especially when we’ll have a brand new $50M facility sitting on the North side, pretty much going to waste. Money could have definitely been spent elsewhere. But hey, at least y’all will have driveable games to JMU again.
All of their fans are right about what they have going for them but UAB is the best shot of that group. JMU won't get to skip everyone and go straight to AAC from the FCS and Ga State is not good enough at football. I'm sure the AAC saw what happened to C-USA for just going after TV markets and how that has set them back on the field.

AAC definitely does not want anyone else at the moment but if they invite us we should jump for sure. The good news is that Gillin and those with a say would accept the invite so I'm glad they are in charge. Like you said, a regional conference would only set us back.

I wonder if the same people who don't think we should go to the AAC are the ones who warned that moving FBS would be a mistake?
You’re sure Gillin would accept? There are those out there who think it’s a no go due to budget concerns, which i don’t necessarily disagree with. I just think it’s something you do and figure it out as you go along. I’m in the camp of I think we could compete now in the AAC even at our current budget. I guess the concern is the other sports, which to be frank I’m not as concerned about. We know what drives the bus.
Figure out a budget as you go along? App State printing money like the Federal Reserve?



BallantyneApp
Posts: 393
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:33 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 49 times
Been thanked: 234 times

Re: 12 team playoff? All P5 conference champs to be in, 1 G5 Champ, six at large

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:37 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:32 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:40 am
Yosef10 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:21 am
APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:22 am
It’s funny…I read message boards (I like to see if our fans sound as crazy as others). Some of us think we’re shoe-ins for the AAC because we have good football. Georgia State and UAB think they’re shoe-ins because “marketz”. JMU thinks they’re shoe-ins because of their facilities.

AAC fans don’t want any of us. A stray fan may say “App State for football only” but that gets shot down quickly. They want Army, Air Force, Boise State, or BYU (who they obviously won’t get). AAC fans only want a program that will instantly vault them into P6 status and the only program that could already turned them down.

Now obviously fans don’t make big decisions (and that’s a good thing because we’re all unhinged) but most AAC fans right now are saying “stay put at 11 until we have no other choice than to extend an invitation”.
I see no reason why the AAC would move off of 11, if we’re being honest App isn’t gonna add money to an AAC TV deal most likely and adding a team would just reduce money from the other 11.

That being said, I still find it wild that the AAC isn’t the goal for most App fans. The regional stuff is a pipe dream, ain’t happening. Now with the playoff expanding to 12 there’s a pretty decent to significant chance the AAC leaves the rest of the G5 behind, Mike Aresco said as much yesterday. I just don’t get why App fans want to get left behind, yet again, especially when we’ll have a brand new $50M facility sitting on the North side, pretty much going to waste. Money could have definitely been spent elsewhere. But hey, at least y’all will have driveable games to JMU again.
All of their fans are right about what they have going for them but UAB is the best shot of that group. JMU won't get to skip everyone and go straight to AAC from the FCS and Ga State is not good enough at football. I'm sure the AAC saw what happened to C-USA for just going after TV markets and how that has set them back on the field.

AAC definitely does not want anyone else at the moment but if they invite us we should jump for sure. The good news is that Gillin and those with a say would accept the invite so I'm glad they are in charge. Like you said, a regional conference would only set us back.

I wonder if the same people who don't think we should go to the AAC are the ones who warned that moving FBS would be a mistake?
You’re sure Gillin would accept? There are those out there who think it’s a no go due to budget concerns, which i don’t necessarily disagree with. I just think it’s something you do and figure it out as you go along. I’m in the camp of I think we could compete now in the AAC even at our current budget. I guess the concern is the other sports, which to be frank I’m not as concerned about. We know what drives the bus.
You say yes and figure it out. How many extra donors do we get from upgrading conferences? Hell what does our Saturday basketball attendance look like when it’s Houston, Cincinnati, Memphis and Wichita State coming to town?



Yosef10
Posts: 1585
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:15 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 273 times
Been thanked: 595 times

Re: 12 team playoff? All P5 conference champs to be in, 1 G5 Champ, six at large

Unread post by Yosef10 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:01 pm

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:09 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:32 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:40 am
Yosef10 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:21 am
APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:22 am
It’s funny…I read message boards (I like to see if our fans sound as crazy as others). Some of us think we’re shoe-ins for the AAC because we have good football. Georgia State and UAB think they’re shoe-ins because “marketz”. JMU thinks they’re shoe-ins because of their facilities.

AAC fans don’t want any of us. A stray fan may say “App State for football only” but that gets shot down quickly. They want Army, Air Force, Boise State, or BYU (who they obviously won’t get). AAC fans only want a program that will instantly vault them into P6 status and the only program that could already turned them down.

Now obviously fans don’t make big decisions (and that’s a good thing because we’re all unhinged) but most AAC fans right now are saying “stay put at 11 until we have no other choice than to extend an invitation”.
I see no reason why the AAC would move off of 11, if we’re being honest App isn’t gonna add money to an AAC TV deal most likely and adding a team would just reduce money from the other 11.

That being said, I still find it wild that the AAC isn’t the goal for most App fans. The regional stuff is a pipe dream, ain’t happening. Now with the playoff expanding to 12 there’s a pretty decent to significant chance the AAC leaves the rest of the G5 behind, Mike Aresco said as much yesterday. I just don’t get why App fans want to get left behind, yet again, especially when we’ll have a brand new $50M facility sitting on the North side, pretty much going to waste. Money could have definitely been spent elsewhere. But hey, at least y’all will have driveable games to JMU again.
All of their fans are right about what they have going for them but UAB is the best shot of that group. JMU won't get to skip everyone and go straight to AAC from the FCS and Ga State is not good enough at football. I'm sure the AAC saw what happened to C-USA for just going after TV markets and how that has set them back on the field.

AAC definitely does not want anyone else at the moment but if they invite us we should jump for sure. The good news is that Gillin and those with a say would accept the invite so I'm glad they are in charge. Like you said, a regional conference would only set us back.

I wonder if the same people who don't think we should go to the AAC are the ones who warned that moving FBS would be a mistake?
You’re sure Gillin would accept? There are those out there who think it’s a no go due to budget concerns, which i don’t necessarily disagree with. I just think it’s something you do and figure it out as you go along. I’m in the camp of I think we could compete now in the AAC even at our current budget. I guess the concern is the other sports, which to be frank I’m not as concerned about. We know what drives the bus.
Figure out a budget as you go along? App State printing money like the Federal Reserve?
That was said somewhat flippantly, but it is a budget of about $25M - you’d have about $6M/year extra from TV revenue. I think there’s a way to make $30M work for you, call me crazy.



Yosef10
Posts: 1585
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:15 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 273 times
Been thanked: 595 times

Re: 12 team playoff? All P5 conference champs to be in, 1 G5 Champ, six at large

Unread post by Yosef10 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:02 pm

BallantyneApp wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:37 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:32 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:40 am
Yosef10 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:21 am
APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:22 am
It’s funny…I read message boards (I like to see if our fans sound as crazy as others). Some of us think we’re shoe-ins for the AAC because we have good football. Georgia State and UAB think they’re shoe-ins because “marketz”. JMU thinks they’re shoe-ins because of their facilities.

AAC fans don’t want any of us. A stray fan may say “App State for football only” but that gets shot down quickly. They want Army, Air Force, Boise State, or BYU (who they obviously won’t get). AAC fans only want a program that will instantly vault them into P6 status and the only program that could already turned them down.

Now obviously fans don’t make big decisions (and that’s a good thing because we’re all unhinged) but most AAC fans right now are saying “stay put at 11 until we have no other choice than to extend an invitation”.
I see no reason why the AAC would move off of 11, if we’re being honest App isn’t gonna add money to an AAC TV deal most likely and adding a team would just reduce money from the other 11.

That being said, I still find it wild that the AAC isn’t the goal for most App fans. The regional stuff is a pipe dream, ain’t happening. Now with the playoff expanding to 12 there’s a pretty decent to significant chance the AAC leaves the rest of the G5 behind, Mike Aresco said as much yesterday. I just don’t get why App fans want to get left behind, yet again, especially when we’ll have a brand new $50M facility sitting on the North side, pretty much going to waste. Money could have definitely been spent elsewhere. But hey, at least y’all will have driveable games to JMU again.
All of their fans are right about what they have going for them but UAB is the best shot of that group. JMU won't get to skip everyone and go straight to AAC from the FCS and Ga State is not good enough at football. I'm sure the AAC saw what happened to C-USA for just going after TV markets and how that has set them back on the field.

AAC definitely does not want anyone else at the moment but if they invite us we should jump for sure. The good news is that Gillin and those with a say would accept the invite so I'm glad they are in charge. Like you said, a regional conference would only set us back.

I wonder if the same people who don't think we should go to the AAC are the ones who warned that moving FBS would be a mistake?
You’re sure Gillin would accept? There are those out there who think it’s a no go due to budget concerns, which i don’t necessarily disagree with. I just think it’s something you do and figure it out as you go along. I’m in the camp of I think we could compete now in the AAC even at our current budget. I guess the concern is the other sports, which to be frank I’m not as concerned about. We know what drives the bus.
You say yes and figure it out. How many extra donors do we get from upgrading conferences? Hell what does our Saturday basketball attendance look like when it’s Houston, Cincinnati, Memphis and Wichita State coming to town?
That’s the way I see it, but it seems most folks just don’t think App can figure out how to make it work. Sounds a lot like 2013.



AppSt94
Posts: 5259
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Lexington, NC
Has thanked: 2684 times
Been thanked: 1576 times

Re: 12 team playoff? All P5 conference champs to be in, 1 G5 Champ, six at large

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:11 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:01 pm
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:09 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:32 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:40 am
Yosef10 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:21 am


I see no reason why the AAC would move off of 11, if we’re being honest App isn’t gonna add money to an AAC TV deal most likely and adding a team would just reduce money from the other 11.

That being said, I still find it wild that the AAC isn’t the goal for most App fans. The regional stuff is a pipe dream, ain’t happening. Now with the playoff expanding to 12 there’s a pretty decent to significant chance the AAC leaves the rest of the G5 behind, Mike Aresco said as much yesterday. I just don’t get why App fans want to get left behind, yet again, especially when we’ll have a brand new $50M facility sitting on the North side, pretty much going to waste. Money could have definitely been spent elsewhere. But hey, at least y’all will have driveable games to JMU again.
All of their fans are right about what they have going for them but UAB is the best shot of that group. JMU won't get to skip everyone and go straight to AAC from the FCS and Ga State is not good enough at football. I'm sure the AAC saw what happened to C-USA for just going after TV markets and how that has set them back on the field.

AAC definitely does not want anyone else at the moment but if they invite us we should jump for sure. The good news is that Gillin and those with a say would accept the invite so I'm glad they are in charge. Like you said, a regional conference would only set us back.

I wonder if the same people who don't think we should go to the AAC are the ones who warned that moving FBS would be a mistake?
You’re sure Gillin would accept? There are those out there who think it’s a no go due to budget concerns, which i don’t necessarily disagree with. I just think it’s something you do and figure it out as you go along. I’m in the camp of I think we could compete now in the AAC even at our current budget. I guess the concern is the other sports, which to be frank I’m not as concerned about. We know what drives the bus.
Figure out a budget as you go along? App State printing money like the Federal Reserve?
That was said somewhat flippantly, but it is a budget of about $25M - you’d have about $6M/year extra from TV revenue. I think there’s a way to make $30M work for you, call me crazy.
Where are you getting that $6 million figure from?



User avatar
NavyApp
Posts: 1267
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:00 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: ENC
Has thanked: 2501 times
Been thanked: 1040 times

Re: 12 team playoff? All P5 conference champs to be in, 1 G5 Champ, six at large

Unread post by NavyApp » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:26 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:11 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:01 pm
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:09 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:32 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:40 am


All of their fans are right about what they have going for them but UAB is the best shot of that group. JMU won't get to skip everyone and go straight to AAC from the FCS and Ga State is not good enough at football. I'm sure the AAC saw what happened to C-USA for just going after TV markets and how that has set them back on the field.

AAC definitely does not want anyone else at the moment but if they invite us we should jump for sure. The good news is that Gillin and those with a say would accept the invite so I'm glad they are in charge. Like you said, a regional conference would only set us back.

I wonder if the same people who don't think we should go to the AAC are the ones who warned that moving FBS would be a mistake?
You’re sure Gillin would accept? There are those out there who think it’s a no go due to budget concerns, which i don’t necessarily disagree with. I just think it’s something you do and figure it out as you go along. I’m in the camp of I think we could compete now in the AAC even at our current budget. I guess the concern is the other sports, which to be frank I’m not as concerned about. We know what drives the bus.
Figure out a budget as you go along? App State printing money like the Federal Reserve?
That was said somewhat flippantly, but it is a budget of about $25M - you’d have about $6M/year extra from TV revenue. I think there’s a way to make $30M work for you, call me crazy.
Where are you getting that $6 million figure from?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatod ... p/39229011

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the contracts have not been signed, said the deal will provide the conference with about $83.3 million per year, with each member school receiving an average of just under $7 million a year.


Article was written in 2019


FREQS AND GEEKS!

Yosef10
Posts: 1585
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:15 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 273 times
Been thanked: 595 times

Re: 12 team playoff? All P5 conference champs to be in, 1 G5 Champ, six at large

Unread post by Yosef10 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:31 pm

One thing I’d also note is apparently it’s not “power 5 conference champions and 1 G5 conference champ” as the thread states. the working idea right now is actually just the 6 highest ranked conference champs and 6 at larges. Honestly probably doesn’t change much but at least the flexibility is there.



AppSt94
Posts: 5259
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Lexington, NC
Has thanked: 2684 times
Been thanked: 1576 times

Re: 12 team playoff? All P5 conference champs to be in, 1 G5 Champ, six at large

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:33 pm

NavyApp wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:26 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:11 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:01 pm
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:09 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:32 pm


You’re sure Gillin would accept? There are those out there who think it’s a no go due to budget concerns, which i don’t necessarily disagree with. I just think it’s something you do and figure it out as you go along. I’m in the camp of I think we could compete now in the AAC even at our current budget. I guess the concern is the other sports, which to be frank I’m not as concerned about. We know what drives the bus.
Figure out a budget as you go along? App State printing money like the Federal Reserve?
That was said somewhat flippantly, but it is a budget of about $25M - you’d have about $6M/year extra from TV revenue. I think there’s a way to make $30M work for you, call me crazy.
Where are you getting that $6 million figure from?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatod ... p/39229011

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the contracts have not been signed, said the deal will provide the conference with about $83.3 million per year, with each member school receiving an average of just under $7 million a year.


Article was written in 2019
So the $6 million is taking into account what we are getting from the Sun Belt? $7 million minus $1 million = $6? Is that correct?



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”

  • Who is online
  • In total there are 393 users online :: 6 registered, 1 hidden and 386 guests

    Most users ever online was 1927 on Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:27 am

    Users browsing this forum: AppNC, appstate24, BayouApp, BeauFoster, huskie3, pop5app and 386 guests