Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

12 team playoff? All P5 conference champs to be in, 1 G5 Champ, six at large

ah59396
School: Appalachian State

Re: 12 team playoff? All P5 conference champs to be in, 1 G5 Champ, six at large

Unread post by ah59396 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:47 pm

23Bison wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:21 pm
ah59396 wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:02 pm
AAC dark horse may be NDSU.

They have not wanted to move up previously due to the belief that you can’t win a Natty as a G5, which was/is true.

They are arguably a state flagship, carry a strong brand and actually bring good basketball, reaching the tourney 4x since 2009.

Fargo is certainly no Houston but they are an R2 designated university, something else the AAC looks for.

I’m also of the belief that they are the ONLY FCS team that’s brand and history of success outweighs its FCS designation.

If they believe now is the time to join FBS because of the change in format, I think they’d be an immediate favorite. I also think once this CFP change happens all the G5 conferences will close the doors to joining, so now is the time to jump.
I thank you for bringing up NDSU. A very large part of the Bison fan base has shifted to wanting to move up. We have most of our facilities in place and just raised over $40million during a pandemic year for our new practice facility. The last big piece is a new stadium. The head coach seems to be on board so all we need is the institution itself to get on board also.

One huge hurdle if the decision is to move up is to get that conference invite. I believe the money will more than be there but the invite is crucial. Wish us luck and hopefully something will happen in the near future. The 12 team proposal kind of makes this a time sensitive issue because conference are going to be locked down and we will be stuck in FCS purgatory forever.
Correct. The G5 conferences didn’t mind all these FCS teams (us) moving up when there was nothing to lose, now there’s a clear incentive for the entire FBS to lock the door. Independents will have an even tougher road should this proposal go through, I can imagine we see Notre Dame and BYU find a home with the conference winner incentive.

You guys are in a tough spot because of your geography. No G5 conference is really a great fit so I can understand the prior reluctance. Plus it’s hard to leave when you’re winning a natty every year.

I continue to believe JMU was absolutely stupid for declining the Sun Belt offer, not because I think the SB is sliced bread, but because it sets you up for the future. I don’t feel great about App State’s chances for the AAC slot but I’m damn certain if we were in the Socon right now we wouldn’t even exist as far as it’s concerned.

Getting into FBS, establishing a brand, building our facilities/budget, all help.

If the AAC doesn’t work out, id love to see NDSU in the MWC. I think you’d immediately contend and scare the piss out of our friends in Boise. Despite the geography.

Hope it works out for the bison. I admire what y’all have done up there in Fargo.
YNWA

citroknight
School: UCF

Re: 12 team playoff? All P5 conference champs to be in, 1 G5 Champ, six at large

Unread post by citroknight » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:52 am

ah59396 wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:47 pm
23Bison wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:21 pm
ah59396 wrote:

They have not wanted to move up previously due to the belief that you can’t win a Natty as a G5, which was/is true.

They are arguably a state flagship, carry a strong brand and actually bring good basketball, reaching the tourney 4x since 2009.

Fargo is certainly no Houston but they are an R2 designated university, something else the AAC looks for.

I’m also of the belief that they are the ONLY FCS team that’s brand and history of success outweighs its FCS designation.

If they believe now is the time to join FBS because of the change in format, I think they’d be an immediate favorite. I also think once this CFP change happens all the G5 conferences will close the doors to joining, so now is the time to jump.
I thank you for bringing up NDSU. A very large part of the Bison fan base has shifted to wanting to move up. We have most of our facilities in place and just raised over $40million during a pandemic year for our new practice facility. The last big piece is a new stadium. The head coach seems to be on board so all we need is the institution itself to get on board also.

One huge hurdle if the decision is to move up is to get that conference invite. I believe the money will more than be there but the invite is crucial. Wish us luck and hopefully something will happen in the near future. The 12 team proposal kind of makes this a time sensitive issue because conference are going to be locked down and we will be stuck in FCS purgatory forever.
Correct. The G5 conferences didn’t mind all these FCS teams (us) moving up when there was nothing to lose, now there’s a clear incentive for the entire FBS to lock the door. Independents will have an even tougher road should this proposal go through, I can imagine we see Notre Dame and BYU find a home with the conference winner incentive.

You guys are in a tough spot because of your geography. No G5 conference is really a great fit so I can understand the prior reluctance. Plus it’s hard to leave when you’re winning a natty every year.

I continue to believe JMU was absolutely stupid for declining the Sun Belt offer, not because I think the SB is sliced bread, but because it sets you up for the future. I don’t feel great about App State’s chances for the AAC slot but I’m damn certain if we were in the Socon right now we wouldn’t even exist as far as it’s concerned.

Getting into FBS, establishing a brand, building our facilities/budget, all help.

If the AAC doesn’t work out, id love to see NDSU in the MWC. I think you’d immediately contend and scare the piss out of our friends in Boise. Despite the geography.

Hope it works out for the bison. I admire what y’all have done up there in Fargo.
Spot on. It's crazy that JMUs leadership thinks they can go straight from FCS to AAC. They have a lot going for them but not everyone sticks the landing into FBS. They would've been much better off moving into the Sunbelt and doing what App is doing to prove they could work as an option for the AAC. Though part of me suspects that maybe JMU leadership is weary of the huge costs of FBS, especially before the playoff expansion, and just set an unrealistic goal like AAC membership so they had a reason to tell the fan base why they didn't move up to FBS was because of that.

citroknight

Unread post by citroknight » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:07 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:12 pm
citroknight wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:54 pm
His saving grace might be that there very possibly may not be any ships left out to P5 land. The top 2/3s of the conference would leave for the B12 in a heartbeat. Hell, I think we would leave for a B12 without Texas and Oklahoma because it would form the next best of the rest conference like the AAC currently is and allow us a chance to leave behind the bottom of the AAC.

If the AAC loses 2 of their "bluebloods", any gap it had over the other G5 is gone. If it loses 4, it's fighting with the MAC and CUSA for the bottom spot.
Again, all very good points. The AAC may not have anyone that the P5s want. But here is my question should they, does that effectively alter the current media deal and how much of a hit would it be to the leftover members in terms of financial windfalls if the contract is renegotiated. If we are looking at football as the driver, I think that you could add Louisiana and APP and not fall too far off in the level of football, but neither can give you the negotiating power with media.
Great question. It will definitely alter the media deal with ESPN. While I don't know the exact language included, it was reported that membership change would allow ESPN to renegotiate.

In the old tv deal we had when the AAC first got together, it named a few specific teams as triggers for renegotiation. I believe it was the Big East hold overs and Houston. Something like if 1 or 2 of them left, the contract would be renegotiated. Wouldn't be surprised if there's something like that again this time but the teams in focus probably being Cincy, Houston, Memphis, and UCF.

This makes expansion a balancing act. The teams at the top wouldn't want to add anyone now because there's very few teams we could add now that would grow our tv money or at the very least keep it the same. As good as App and ULL have been, I'm not sure if ESPN would cover paying 2 new members $7M each. So that means it'll bring down the per member annual payout. But the bottom of the AAC would probably want additions like that asap while they can still do it. Because if a time does come where 2 to 4 of the best AAC brands leave, there's no way the remaining leftovers are attractive enough to entice APP or ULL type teams. You guys would feel better off staying in the SBC. But bringing in good teams now would lessen the blow for the bottom of the AAC if one day the current top leaves them behind. But that's a big if since there may not be anywhere to go.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:10 am

If that were the case (2 top teams leaving) App’s incentive would be ECU in state and (assuming they weren’t one of the ones departing) UCF for recruiting. Moving up then would be an ego move not a responsible one.

I personally like the Sunbelt and how it’s developed since our arrival. It’s a very respectable league with multiple top 25 caliber teams. So many people want regional conferences….the AAC is about as un-regional as it gets.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:23 am

What gets lost with all of this discussion is that (with the exception of about 6 teams) most of college football is cyclical. Just a few years ago the Belt was kind of a joke. The MAC had Western Michigan of all teams vying for a top 10 spot. The PAC12 has been down. Except for Clemson the ACC has not done that great- Florida State and Virginia Tech in particular. Last year was an anomaly with Covid and the variance in games played. In a normal year with everyone playing regular schedules at a regular pace is Coastal really getting the same love? Not sure. That being said the Belt now has 3 legit top 25 type teams which is about the same as the AAC. While there would be more backend advantages to being in the AAC let’s not completely discount where we are currently. Personally I just want to see how this 12 team deal plays out. I still see a 12-1 App getting shafted in lieu of a 9-3 Auburn all day long.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:08 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:10 am
If that were the case (2 top teams leaving) App’s incentive would be ECU in state and (assuming they weren’t one of the ones departing) UCF for recruiting. Moving up then would be an ego move not a responsible one.

I personally like the Sunbelt and how it’s developed since our arrival. It’s a very respectable league with multiple top 25 caliber teams. So many people want regional conferences….the AAC is about as un-regional as it gets.
I think if the AAC spot is ever offered App takes it in a heartbeat. But I absolutely agree with your sentiment on the Sun Belt. It’s a fun conference and I enjoy being in it.
YNWA

citroknight

Unread post by citroknight » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:29 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:23 am
What gets lost with all of this discussion is that (with the exception of about 6 teams) most of college football is cyclical. Just a few years ago the Belt was kind of a joke. The MAC had Western Michigan of all teams vying for a top 10 spot. The PAC12 has been down. Except for Clemson the ACC has not done that great- Florida State and Virginia Tech in particular. Last year was an anomaly with Covid and the variance in games played. In a normal year with everyone playing regular schedules at a regular pace is Coastal really getting the same love? Not sure. That being said the Belt now has 3 legit top 25 type teams which is about the same as the AAC. While there would be more backend advantages to being in the AAC let’s not completely discount where we are currently. Personally I just want to see how this 12 team deal plays out. I still see a 12-1 App getting shafted in lieu of a 9-3 Auburn all day long.
It's cyclical but we also have to compare apples to apples. Membership change makes a difference. The Sunbelt of old that was a joke had a different makeup than it does now. Cyclical changes would be that the teams in the old SBC all went from down to an upswing. When what really happened is that CUSA took teams from the old SBC based just on markets. So they got some good like FAU but also some duds. Whereas the new SBC members don't really have attractive markets outside of maybe Georgia State but they're schools that are serious about their football and make good hires to get the most of their budgets.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:42 am

It would be interesting to something like ACC/Big Ten challenge in the sport of football... Sunbelt/AAC challenge...Teams keep one open date for it during first four weeks of season . Schedule based upon preseason expectations so Sunbelt top teams play AAC top teams. Sunbelt bottom teams play AAC bottom teams. In a hypothetical world during the summer while waiting for actual football... something fun to think about.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

NeersBy90

Unread post by NeersBy90 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:40 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:30 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:19 pm
When you say “we” have a clearly defined path, who is this we? Unless App finishes undefeated with P5 wins and the AAC Champ has 2-3 regular season losses then I’m not at all sure there’s a clearly defined path, don’t have to look back further than 2019 to see that’s the case.

Also, why shouldn’t we have a problem with rankings? Let’s use 2020 as an example. You really think if the 12 team format is in place the committee doesn’t rank USC ahead of Coastal? I’m in favor of 12 teams getting in but I think non-AAC G5 fans are a bit too optimistic on how it will play out.
“We” group of 5 teams would have 1 guaranteed spot every year. That’s more than we have now.

“We” Appalachian State have a path…be the best group of 5.

It won’t be easy but I don’t want ANYTHING given to us. The Sunbelt is in the rise. Keep improving. Keep investing. Keep winning. I prefer working hard to earn a a better ranking than moaning and spouting “everybody’s out to get us” conspiracy theories.
"We" are not the AAC and therefor we have very little if any shot at that 6th guaranteed spot.

While I admire your can-do attitude, refusing to moan and spout about this "conspiracy theory" doesn't make it not true. I don't think its a conspiracy theory, I think its quite clearly, a fact.

"We" will see how it plays out... but as it stands, the AAC is the only G5 conference that ESPN cares about and ESPN owns the CFP. You don't see AAC football games on Tuesday nights...

I agree (just like I think pretty much everyone here) that we want to earn the right to be there. What people don't seem to acknowledge is that earing a spot and getting a spot are two different things.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:43 pm

I'm looking at opportunities. You're looking at road blocks. But you do you.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:50 pm

citroknight wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:29 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
It's cyclical but we also have to compare apples to apples. Membership change makes a difference. The Sunbelt of old that was a joke had a different makeup than it does now. Cyclical changes would be that the teams in the old SBC all went from down to an upswing. When what really happened is that CUSA took teams from the old SBC based just on markets. So they got some good like FAU but also some duds. Whereas the new SBC members don't really have attractive markets outside of maybe Georgia State but they're schools that are serious about their football and make good hires to get the most of their budgets.
Citroknight, when do we get the home and scheduled with UCF? I want to see App State at the Bounce House.
YNWA

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:08 am

A quick eyeball scan of the 130 FBS teams tells me that approximately 60 of them (all of the MAC and Conf USA) along with most of the Belt and several P5’s realistically have no shot virtually EVER to reach a final 12. Of the 60ish or half probably 10 will always be in the mix, probably another 10-20 will rise up occasionally- a Wake, Miss State, K State, etc. The other 30 or so to include the strong G5’s outside of the typically strong AAC will require incredibly strong, probably unbeaten seasons (along with many 3 loss P5 teams) to have any shot. We all know damn well that a committee will justify a 9-3 LSU or Auburn team over a 12-1 App who had a P5 loss but otherwise ran the table. Hope I’m wrong and live to see the day. If we do post that record we will need two other Belt schools to go 10-2 or so with significant wins.

NeersBy90

Unread post by NeersBy90 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:49 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:43 pm
I'm looking at opportunities. You're looking at road blocks. But you do you.
Fair enough. I will say that I think our best shot (and maybe only shot) is for the Pac12 Champ to have 3 losses and for Boise to stumble as well. App needs to handle our business and pull extremely hard for Oregon, Utah, USC and whoever else may be decent in the Pac 12 to lose, several times.

I don't worry about anyone in the MWC except for Boise, based soley on their brand recognition.

citroknight

Unread post by citroknight » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:25 am

ah59396 wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:50 pm
citroknight wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
Citroknight, when do we get the home and scheduled with UCF? I want to see App State at the Bounce House.
I'd love to see that. With a return game to Kidd Brewer of course. We finally get to play Boise so I'd definitely love to see a series against another top G5 schools we've never played against. No disrespect to some of the solid schools in CUSA but we've played most of them already.

mikeyosef

Unread post by mikeyosef » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:10 am

citroknight wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:25 am
ah59396 wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:50 pm
citroknight wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
I'd love to see that. With a return game to Kidd Brewer of course. We finally get to play Boise so I'd definitely love to see a series against another top G5 schools we've never played against. No disrespect to some of the solid schools in CUSA but we've played most of them already.
That would be a fantastic series. I have great respect for the UCF's football program and love talking to Knights fans who are at least as passionate about their team as we are about our Mountaineers. I'm not sure your AD would see a series as a good thing for program but I do believe most fans of both teams would be all in. I know few folks from Florida who don't enjoy a little time in the NC mountains; which, by the way, is where I most frequently run into Knights fans. Late October is the perfect time to visit Kidd Brewer and not too bad for a trip to Orlando. Let's make it happen.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:43 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:26 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:31 pm
ah59396 wrote:

They do fit the bill, but it would require them to either significantly increase the seating in the FargoDome, currently at 19k, or build a new facility.
If i have this wrong then pardon me, but aren’t you “expense and budget” guy? How can an FCS school in North Dakota handle the jump from FCS to the AAC but App can’t handle it from SBC to AAC? NDSU has a budget over $10M less than App.
I didn’t say that they could. To the posters points on NDSU being an R2 designation school, something that APP is not, they do fit the bill. The major hurdle for them is that the Fargo Dome is too small. And with no way to expand it to compliance, they would need to build a new one. The City of Fargo owns the dome so there would be some local politics involved.

I know that you think that you have all the answers on how we are the perfect fit for the AAC and that we need to ready, shoot, and then aim to go there. But we are nowhere near ready or fiscally capable of making that jump, and try to remain competitive. Plus, there are way more factors that need to be considered aside from football. Going from FCS to SBC is like taking your golf handicap from a 20+ to a 10. All it takes is a little practice. Going from SBC to AAC is like going from 2 to scratch. That takes commitment and sacrifice. What are you willing to give up to get there?

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:48 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:43 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
ah59396 wrote:

They do fit the bill, but it would require them to either significantly increase the seating in the FargoDome, currently at 19k, or build a new facility.
If i have this wrong then pardon me, but aren’t you “expense and budget” guy? How can an FCS school in North Dakota handle the jump from FCS to the AAC but App can’t handle it from SBC to AAC? NDSU has a budget over $10M less than App.
I didn’t say that they could. To the posters points on NDSU being an R2 designation school, something that APP is not, they do fit the bill. The major hurdle for them is that the Fargo Dome is too small. And with no way to expand it to compliance, they would need to build a new one. The City of Fargo owns the dome so there would be some local politics involved.

I know that you think that you have all the answers on how we are the perfect fit for the AAC and that we need to ready, shoot, and then aim to go there. But we are nowhere near ready or fiscally capable of making that jump, and try to remain competitive. Plus, there are way more factors that need to be considered aside from football. Going from FCS to SBC is like taking your golf handicap from a 20+ to a 10. All it takes is a little practice. Going from SBC to AAC is like going from 2 to scratch. That takes commitment and sacrifice. What are you willing to give up to get there?
Feel free to go find a single post where I’ve said App is a perfect fit. Until then stop putting words in my mouth just because you have trouble with reading comprehension.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:32 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:48 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
ah59396 wrote:

Feel free to go find a single post where I’ve said App is a perfect fit. Until then stop putting words in my mouth just because you have trouble with reading comprehension.
I get it. You just want to argue with everything I am saying. It’s fine. You don’t like me for whatever reason. But everything that I have said is true or is fact based. I don’t share everything that I know, but ever that I share is because I know something. But you do you. No need to engage anymore.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:08 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:32 am
Yosef10 wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:48 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

I get it. You just want to argue with everything I am saying. It’s fine. You don’t like me for whatever reason. But everything that I have said is true or is fact based. I don’t share everything that I know, but ever that I share is because I know something. But you do you. No need to engage anymore.
You’re saying i said things i haven’t said, just so you can argue it man. I don’t know you, so i can’t not like you. For the hundredth time, I’ve not once said App is a “perfect fit” as you have continually claimed. There’s a *case to be made* for App’s admission, and that’s all I’ve ever said. Nothing about perfect fit. Nothing you have said has been convincing that there isn’t simply a case to be made. You literally said NDSU would be a nice add for the AAC while at the same time shutting down App solely for financial reasons, just be a little consistent.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:22 am

Btw, we have Jamey Chadwell on our show today if anyone cares to tune in (or find the podcast shortly after). We’re going to ask him about what recruiting advantages this model could give elite G5’s vs lower tier P5’s, name image and likeness, and about how a playoff possibility might affect a coach’s decision to leave his G5 school for a P5.

espnupstate.com / Twitter and Facebook @espnupstate / Audacy app

Scheduled for 3:20. I usually have podcasts up within 20 minutes of the interview ending.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”