• Birthdays

12 team playoff? All P5 conference champs to be in, 1 G5 Champ, six at large

Captain Morgan
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri May 21, 2021 5:11 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 17 times

12 team playoff? All P5 conference champs to be in, 1 G5 Champ, six at large

Unread post by Captain Morgan » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:33 pm

Interesting. Long but interesting article.

"The inevitability of the College Football Playoff expanding has been embraced around every corner of the sport. From the academic ivory towers to the athletic departments to the locker room, an evolution of some type has long been an expectation.

The next three weeks offer a critical period in charting what the future of the College Football Playoff will look like. A pair of CFP meetings are expected to decide a specific recommendation, with a final decision, details and television contract determined later in the fall.

Yahoo Sports spoke to more than a dozen stakeholders Monday on every side of the playoff decision – university officials, athletic directors, media executives and others around college sports. Amid those conversations, a surprise emerged — officials on campuses, in conference offices and in the television world have expressed an openness toward a 12-team playoff as the most likely result.

How would 12 teams work? The basic thought is automatic bids for the five major conferences — which also juices up their league title games as play-in games — and one for the highest ranked Group of Five champion. The other six spots would be at-large bids. That gives automatic bids to some of the have-nots and more potential spots for the more powerful leagues, and compromise is important in a vote where consensus is needed.





https://sports.yahoo.com/college-footba ... 00023.html

edited title to be more accurate
Last edited by Captain Morgan on Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.



EastHallApp
Posts: 6254
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:34 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Raleigh
Has thanked: 2850 times
Been thanked: 2478 times

Re: 12 team playoff? Plan for all conference champs to be in

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:41 pm

LOL, 11 out of 12 bids go to P5s = "compromise."



User avatar
SayYesToTheRock
Posts: 336
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:26 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Boone, NC
Has thanked: 49 times
Been thanked: 242 times

Re: 12 team playoff? Plan for all conference champs to be in

Unread post by SayYesToTheRock » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:04 pm

It'll still be a herculean feat for App to make the playoff. Here's how a 12 team playoff (with 6 autobids and 6 at large) would have looked in 2020:

Auto-bids:
1. Alabama (SEC)
2. Clemson (ACC)
3. Oklahoma (Big XII)
4. Ohio State (Big 10)
5. Oregon (Pac 12)
6. Cincinnati (AAC)

At-large
7. Notre Dame
8. Texas A&M
9. Florida
10. Georgia
11. Iowa State
12. Indiana

Coastal Carolina (#12 at the end of last season) misses out on a 12-team playoff due to #25 Oregon taking an auto-bid.



User avatar
ArmantiWaterSafety
Posts: 297
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:31 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Hickory, NC
Has thanked: 122 times
Been thanked: 156 times

Re: 12 team playoff? Plan for all conference champs to be in

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:06 pm

Is it that hard to give all TEN FBS conference champs an autobid and then have 2 at-large? If you don't win your conference champ then you're SOL, but this does exactly screw all to give us a better chance to make it to a national championship conversation unless we happen to get into the AAC at some point.



User avatar
Rekdiver
Posts: 6170
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:14 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1024 times
Been thanked: 2531 times

Re: 12 team playoff? Plan for all conference champs to be in

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:58 pm

I'd sue.....taft-hartley



User avatar
WVAPPeer
Posts: 10714
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:14 am
School: Other
Location: Born: Almost Heaven
Has thanked: 2845 times
Been thanked: 1482 times

Re: 12 team playoff? Plan for all conference champs to be in

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:13 pm



"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

User avatar
NeersBy90
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:15 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 155 times
Been thanked: 24 times

Re: 12 team playoff? Plan for all conference champs to be in

Unread post by NeersBy90 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:45 pm

ArmantiWaterSafety wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:06 pm
Is it that hard to give all TEN FBS conference champs an autobid and then have 2 at-large? If you don't win your conference champ then you're SOL, but this does exactly screw all to give us a better chance to make it to a national championship conversation unless we happen to get into the AAC at some point.
I, myself, have no interest in a "Playoff" if Marshall and Ball State are in it. I realize giving all 10 conf champs an autobid is the easiest way for us or ULL or whatever non P5 to get in but... giving autobids to all 5 G5 champs would be a waste and would ultimately hurt the Group of 5. Nobody would watch and the games would most likely be terrible.

The truth is, outside of maybe 10 or 11 G5 programs, G5 football is a joke compared to the Power 5. Want to make a case for a completely separate G5 playoff?... give us those 5 autobids for the 12 team playoff. Most of the Conference Champs will get molly-whomped and the G5 will earn a permanent seat at the kids table.



User avatar
ArmantiWaterSafety
Posts: 297
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:31 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Hickory, NC
Has thanked: 122 times
Been thanked: 156 times

Re: 12 team playoff? Plan for all conference champs to be in

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:57 pm

NeersBy90 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:45 pm
I, myself, have no interest in a "Playoff" if Marshall and Ball State are in it. I realize giving all 10 conf champs an autobid is the easiest way for us or ULL or whatever non P5 to get in but... giving autobids to all 5 G5 champs would be a waste and would ultimately hurt the Group of 5. Nobody would watch and the games would most likely be terrible.

The truth is, outside of maybe 10 or 11 G5 programs, G5 football is a joke compared to the Power 5. Want to make a case for a completely separate G5 playoff?... give us those 5 autobids for the 12 team playoff. Most of the Conference Champs will get molly-whomped and the G5 will earn a permanent seat at the kids table.
While I agree with you to some extent, I think that those 10 or 11 G5 programs end up being the conference champs most of the time. We've proven in the most recent years (outside of Miami and we get a chance to rectify that this year) that we can stack up against all but the cream of the crop P5's which the current playoff structure has essentially created due to the cream of the crop players going there because they know that's the only way to get a national championship ring. It'll take quite a few years for the effects of the 4 team playoff to go away, but once they do I think you'll see some upsets here and there. I mean heck, even in the current system, a 4 vs.1 seed has gotten whomped BADLY many times.



User avatar
BeauFoster
Posts: 5708
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:42 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: In a cubicle
Has thanked: 705 times
Been thanked: 932 times

Re: 12 team playoff? All P5 conference champs to be in, 1 G5 Champ, six at large

Unread post by BeauFoster » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:57 pm

I’d like to see auto bids to at least the 2 highest ranked G5 teams. Otherwise this is a P5 playoff with the AAC champ included, which is only slightly more lip service than we get now.


Give 'em hell!

Tbatchelor1977
Posts: 596
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:32 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 127 times
Been thanked: 316 times

Re: 12 team playoff? All P5 conference champs to be in, 1 G5 Champ, six at large

Unread post by Tbatchelor1977 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:22 pm

If the system changes to 12 team playoff, I would be shocked if 2 bids automatically went to G5. I would be somewhat surprised if G5 got one automatic bid. I am a diehard supporter of App St., However, the year we went 13-1, we barely beat two mediocre teams in USC and UNC....maybe recruiting classes çontinue to get better like class coming in and we can change discussion 5 to 10 years from today


Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!

Saint3333
Posts: 10787
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 8:42 am
Has thanked: 1521 times
Been thanked: 2147 times

Re: 12 team playoff? All P5 conference champs to be in, 1 G5 Champ, six at large

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:58 pm

12 is the worst case scenario for G5 programs.

I’d rather see 8 or 16.



spacemonkey
Posts: 300
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:01 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 104 times

Re: 12 team playoff? All P5 conference champs to be in, 1 G5 Champ, six at large

Unread post by spacemonkey » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:30 pm

I think 12 is fair if there are some cross conference scheduling agreements. If the p5 has to schedule g5 teams. Also...I hope there is some kind of “nit” tournament for the next 12 that include all g5 champions and the second place team of the g5 rep in the main playoff.

The g5 need someway to leverage that one spot to generate some money for the g5 schools. Some kind of g5 play in weekend scheduling agreement.



scatman77
Posts: 1011
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:38 am
Location: York, SC
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 647 times

Re: 12 team playoff? All P5 conference champs to be in, 1 G5 Champ, six at large

Unread post by scatman77 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:38 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:58 pm
12 is the worst case scenario for G5 programs.

I’d rather see 8 or 16.
Being the Physical Education major that I am and having passed Dr. Steinbrecher's class I'm wondering who gets the four byes? If there are 12 teams then statistically 4 teams get byes: 4 + 12 = 16, the nearest factor. You either have 4, 8, 16, 32, 64 etc otherwise you have byes so the brackets work out.


We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

User avatar
ah59396
Posts: 1432
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:28 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 896 times
Been thanked: 1056 times

Re: 12 team playoff? All P5 conference champs to be in, 1 G5 Champ, six at large

Unread post by ah59396 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:19 pm

12 is fair and one G5 AQ is fair. There’s like, 80 G5 teams, and about 60 of them are dead bodies.

Yes, there’s P5 trash like Kansas, Vandy, Oregon State. But for every Kansas there are 10 UTEPs or ULMs.

Truthfully with our strength of schedule, it SHOULD require a perfect or near perfect season to be in the CFP. 2019, had we beat Georgia Southern, we would have probably finished ranked 11th and played a 10+ win Oregon/Florida in the first round of the CFP under this format. A miracle win and our reward would be a Joe Burrow led LSU. Would have been fun.


YNWA

sixtoes9134
Posts: 1152
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:42 am
Has thanked: 51 times
Been thanked: 210 times

Re: 12 team playoff? All P5 conference champs to be in, 1 G5 Champ, six at large

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:48 am

Seems to me the most fair would be the top 12 teams in the country as of the last poll after all the conference championships have been played.



User avatar
NeersBy90
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:15 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 155 times
Been thanked: 24 times

Re: 12 team playoff? All P5 conference champs to be in, 1 G5 Champ, six at large

Unread post by NeersBy90 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:10 am

sixtoes9134 wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:48 am
Seems to me the most fair would be the top 12 teams in the country as of the last poll after all the conference championships have been played.
This would effectively maintain the status quo unless they change the selection process (which I don't see them doing). The rankings they use for the CFP are decided on by the committee which is more or less comprised exclusively of P5 pundits. If they control the rankings, any G5 school (except MAYBE the AAC Champ) would be lucky to get a bid without a guaranteed spot.



User avatar
NeersBy90
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:15 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 155 times
Been thanked: 24 times

Re: 12 team playoff? Plan for all conference champs to be in

Unread post by NeersBy90 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:18 am

ArmantiWaterSafety wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:57 pm
NeersBy90 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:45 pm
I, myself, have no interest in a "Playoff" if Marshall and Ball State are in it. I realize giving all 10 conf champs an autobid is the easiest way for us or ULL or whatever non P5 to get in but... giving autobids to all 5 G5 champs would be a waste and would ultimately hurt the Group of 5. Nobody would watch and the games would most likely be terrible.

The truth is, outside of maybe 10 or 11 G5 programs, G5 football is a joke compared to the Power 5. Want to make a case for a completely separate G5 playoff?... give us those 5 autobids for the 12 team playoff. Most of the Conference Champs will get molly-whomped and the G5 will earn a permanent seat at the kids table.
While I agree with you to some extent, I think that those 10 or 11 G5 programs end up being the conference champs most of the time. We've proven in the most recent years (outside of Miami and we get a chance to rectify that this year) that we can stack up against all but the cream of the crop P5's which the current playoff structure has essentially created due to the cream of the crop players going there because they know that's the only way to get a national championship ring. It'll take quite a few years for the effects of the 4 team playoff to go away, but once they do I think you'll see some upsets here and there. I mean heck, even in the current system, a 4 vs.1 seed has gotten whomped BADLY many times.
[/quoteI

I agree that the top 10/11 G5 teams usually win their conferences with the exceptions of the MAC and CUSA.

I hadn't really thought about the recruiting implications and that is an interesting point. I don't think that it would benefit the G5 much other than it may dilute the talent pool slightly for schools like Bama, Clemson, Ohio State and Oklahoma which might level the playing field a bit. Even if that happened though, I think schools like FSU, Texas, Penn State or Auburn would be the biggest beneficiaries.



User avatar
NavyApp
Posts: 1256
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:00 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: ENC
Has thanked: 2438 times
Been thanked: 1027 times

Re: 12 team playoff? All P5 conference champs to be in, 1 G5 Champ, six at large

Unread post by NavyApp » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:31 am

NeersBy90 wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:10 am
sixtoes9134 wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:48 am
Seems to me the most fair would be the top 12 teams in the country as of the last poll after all the conference championships have been played.
This would effectively maintain the status quo unless they change the selection process (which I don't see them doing). The rankings they use for the CFP are decided on by the committee which is more or less comprised exclusively of P5 pundits. If they control the rankings, any G5 school (except MAYBE the AAC Champ) would be lucky to get a bid without a guaranteed spot.
THIS!!!! The truth of the matter is when the playoff expands to 12 teams you will see G5s drop in the rankings, regardless of merit. Like you mentioned the polls are controlled by the p5 so they will make sure they have 11 of the 12 seats at the table. This is not about deciding the "best" team on the field it's about increasing revenue by incorporating more blue blood fan bases in this charade.


FREQS AND GEEKS!

User avatar
ah59396
Posts: 1432
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:28 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 896 times
Been thanked: 1056 times

Re: 12 team playoff? All P5 conference champs to be in, 1 G5 Champ, six at large

Unread post by ah59396 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:51 am

NavyApp wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:31 am
NeersBy90 wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:10 am
sixtoes9134 wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:48 am
Seems to me the most fair would be the top 12 teams in the country as of the last poll after all the conference championships have been played.
This would effectively maintain the status quo unless they change the selection process (which I don't see them doing). The rankings they use for the CFP are decided on by the committee which is more or less comprised exclusively of P5 pundits. If they control the rankings, any G5 school (except MAYBE the AAC Champ) would be lucky to get a bid without a guaranteed spot.
THIS!!!! The truth of the matter is when the playoff expands to 12 teams you will see G5s drop in the rankings, regardless of merit. Like you mentioned the polls are controlled by the p5 so they will make sure they have 11 of the 12 seats at the table. This is not about deciding the "best" team on the field it's about increasing revenue by incorporating more blue blood fan bases in this charade.
I sort of agree with this. Historically though, once you get to the 10-15 spots you start encountering 2 & 3 loss teams. Would we see a 3 loss SEC team at 12 over a second undefeated G5? Maybe?

Either way, if there’s a shot to be there I’m excited. People want to yell “cartel” but honestly, what’s more impressive:

Going undefeated in the Sun Belt
Or
Going 8-2 in the SEC

If App got to do both I know which one I’d pick. Which is why they deserve more slots.


YNWA

Black Saturday
Posts: 9159
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 11:22 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: 910
Has thanked: 442 times
Been thanked: 387 times

Re: 12 team playoff? All P5 conference champs to be in, 1 G5 Champ, six at large

Unread post by Black Saturday » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:27 pm

Don't like it.


BLACK SATURDAY

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”

  • Who is online