Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Whatever happened to Saturday College Football

NewApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Whatever happened to Saturday College Football

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:21 am

App_in_Maiden wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:51 am
WASU 93 wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:29 pm
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:53 am
Knowing what I know about how Black Saturday atmosphere is in Boone, we beat Georgia Southern in 2019 if that game is played on a Saturday at 3:30.
In that weather, there would have been one half of Black Saturday atmosphere at most. Many of our fans would have left at the end of the first quarter. That was a die hard only evening of football
Could not agree more. That weather was the biggest factor in that game. For me, it was the most miserable game I’ve ever attended with the way the wind wouldn’t stop blowing. Walking back to the car, we saw a Port-a-John blow over and was sliding across the street.
We left at half time. Some said there was ice on the field.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:48 am

NewApp wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:21 am
App_in_Maiden wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:51 am
WASU 93 wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:29 pm
Knowing what I know about how Black Saturday atmosphere is in Boone, we beat Georgia Southern in 2019 if that game is played on a Saturday at 3:30.
In that weather, there would have been one half of Black Saturday atmosphere at most. Many of our fans would have left at the end of the first quarter. That was a die hard only evening of football
Could not agree more. That weather was the biggest factor in that game. For me, it was the most miserable game I’ve ever attended with the way the wind wouldn’t stop blowing. Walking back to the car, we saw a Port-a-John blow over and was sliding across the street.
We left at half time. Some said there was ice on the field.
We did too. On the opposite side of weather...the ECU game in Greenville several years ago was equally as miserable..the heat was crazy hot. Some of our friends did not come out of concessions area after halftime.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:49 am

That game was truly a miserable experience weather wise. The worst part though was that the bad weather is supposed to benefit us and it did not. To this day I am sure that none of those gumroots down the mountain on that polluted creek complain one bit about the weather. We both had to play in it and they played better and won the game. There are a lot of reasons why we should have won the game but none of those reasons allowed us to on that night.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:49 am

Why do folks keep insisting that bad weather is/should be an advantage for us? In an average year we play half or more of our games in pretty decent weather- figure 6-8 games home and away prior to November are not cold. Playing in a downpour would only be ok for a run oriented team. I was at that ridiculous Stink game. I can’t recall but what was it like the following Saturday?

In regards to the week night games it’s great when they happen and I’m at home (say a Thursday night) but as soon as Saturday rolls around it sucks. I’m sure that given how much $ we lost last year we will take any added revenue stream.

As an aside hypothetically if we were in a “bus travel” conference versus our current “air travel” on average what would the cost difference be? It’s been debated to death but if we had 6 completely sold out home games against regional schools like ECU, Charlotte, Marshall, etc who would buy tons of tickets we would not have to sell out to ESPN and play on Wednesday. I get it’s a conference deal but theoretically that could change somewhat if we were in a regional one.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:58 am

Remind me: Does the SBC get the tv money and then divides it equally with all teams or do the teams get the money for the televised games?
Bring Your A Game!

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:30 am

NewApp wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:19 am
AppStateNews wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:41 pm
Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:17 pm
The bigger picture is the TV contracts are required revenue to fulfill our costs to compete at this level. If we do not play to TV contracts, funds come from different source (cutting other sports ), etc. as football is the top sport at App St. If you want football on Saturdays that also comes with less TV revenue, you should probably place your primary allegiance to West Chester State.
This! Imagine complaining about cutting sports and other sports not being properly funded.. all while openly not donating to Yosef Club AND complaining about one of (if not the) highest portion of revenue the athletic department gets.
Umm, if I could pay all my bills and donate to my church and donate more to Yosef, I would. Get your facts straight. BTW, I do give a small amount but most to the Foundation and I have it in my will. I just don't have enough do it all. I do not discourage those who can afford it and do.
One or two games on a weekday is tolerable, but 4 in one seaosn..Geez.
I'm just going on what you've said here in the past. I am glad you do donate to Yosef -- even just a little bit helps a TON! So, thank you.

But, you missed the whole point of the post. You are complaining about potentially the largest revenue maker for the ENTIRE athletic department (football TV deal) at the same time as you're complaining we don't fund other programs enough. If we don't have mid week football games, we have even less funding for other sports. It's as simple as that.

You can't have your cake and eat it too!
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:09 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:30 am
NewApp wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
The bigger picture is the TV contracts are required revenue to fulfill our costs to compete at this level. If we do not play to TV contracts, funds come from different source (cutting other sports ), etc. as football is the top sport at App St. If you want football on Saturdays that also comes with less TV revenue, you should probably place your primary allegiance to West Chester State.
This! Imagine complaining about cutting sports and other sports not being properly funded.. all while openly not donating to Yosef Club AND complaining about one of (if not the) highest portion of revenue the athletic department gets.
Umm, if I could pay all my bills and donate to my church and donate more to Yosef, I would. Get your facts straight. BTW, I do give a small amount but most to the Foundation and I have it in my will. I just don't have enough do it all. I do not discourage those who can afford it and do.
I'm just going on what you've said here in the past. I am glad you do donate to Yosef -- even just a little bit helps a TON! So, thank you.

But, you missed the whole point of the post. You are complaining about potentially the largest revenue maker for the ENTIRE athletic department (football TV deal) at the same time as you're complaining we don't fund other programs enough. If we don't have mid week football games, we have even less funding for other sports. It's as simple as that.

Wouldn't we do about as well as playing 6 home games on Saturdays and selling them out along with concessions (beer, etc) and gear as with getting ESPN money and dividing up among conference members as well as getting a couple of them on TV? Plus Boone would probably make more money with greater attendance.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:16 pm

NewApp wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:09 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:30 am
NewApp wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
Tbatchelor1977 wrote:

Wouldn't we do about as well as playing 6 home games on Saturdays and selling them out along with concessions (beer, etc) and gear as with getting ESPN money and dividing up among conference members as well as getting a couple of them on TV? Plus Boone would probably make more money with greater attendance.
Absolutely not. The decline in attendance on week night games is MORE than covered by the TV deal. You clearly don't know how the TV deal works.

Additionally, if we don't abide by the conference TV deal rules, we don't get any money from NCAA basketball tournament, split bowl game payouts, etc. You clearly don't know how the conference affiliations work.

Bottom line -- the TV deal (and other conference affiliated payouts) is what supports our athletic department since we can't get many Yosef Club donors. Once we grow the Yosef Club to levels we should already be at, we can complain about week night games because we won't need the TV deal to make the budget work (and will likely be in another conference where week night games aren't as prevalent).
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:46 pm

NewApp wrote:
but most to the Foundation
Generally I thing most of your complaints or concerns are just not realistic given current college athletics operations; however, I don't argue with this. The general endowment for App State is much too small and it needs to grow lots and quickly. And I generally follow the same mode of giving by giving more to the ASU Foundation that is not tied to Yosef Club than to Yosef Club specifically. I make no apologies for that nor should you. You are giving to your alma mater.

I will come to your defense one more time this calendar year. Use this wisely, there are a lot of posts left before 2022 starts and the year is not even half over.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:55 pm

Public service announcement: I suggest Everyone put cline on ignore or never quote him for the sanity of us all.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:49 pm

SayYesToTheRock wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:53 pm
Perhaps, the but the (diminished) crowd was electric that night anyway. IMO the loss had more to do with the weather than the crowd. So many dropped passes and key turnovers by us that kept fueling GaSo, whose offense was ideally suited for those horrible conditions.
The weather was terrible...No arguing that, but the team was flat from the jump, as was pointed out by many on here that night. Maybe Drink didn't understand the significance of the rivalry and have them ready to play? Didn't prepare a game plan for the weather? Who knows. Playing a not so motivating and momentum game on the road the Saturday before in Mobile while Georgia Southern had a cake walk against a New Mexico State team at home wasn't the best way to lead up to a rivalry game. Give the team an extra two days, same weather conditions, and I still feel there is enough there at the Rock to will the team to victory. In general I just think Saturday games are better in Boone. I've accepted the weekday games though, because even if they were all on Saturday, with three kids I'm not making many games. Glad to have the on television, just hate how it throws the team off.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:50 pm

I just want a full week to prepare for that Stone Age offense they run.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:21 am

I understand funding and that TV is probably the second highest funding of the athletic dept. With that said week night games suck. God created Saturday afternoons for college football. He also has a special place in hell for those who hold college games on Friday nights.

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:47 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:55 pm
Public service announcement: I suggest Everyone put cline on ignore or never quote him for the sanity of us all.
Other than the nasty personal attacks on this guy, I think this has been an interesting thread .

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:01 am

pop5app wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:47 am
Saint3333 wrote:
Other than the nasty personal attacks on this guy, I think this has been an interesting thread .

Only problem is we have this same discussion/argument Every. Single. Year.

GO APPS!!

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:13 am

appstate24 wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:01 am
pop5app wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:47 am
Saint3333 wrote:

Only problem is we have this same discussion/argument Every. Single. Year.

GO APPS!!
That's true, but there are a LOT of topics that pop up frequently. It's the off season. Personally, I cringe any time a thread starts going down the re-organization or "perfect conference" path. The new variant on that is the whole "we need to be in the AAC".

Anyway...We are going into the second quarter of the count-down and only 40 days or so from the opening of fall camp. GO APPS!!!!

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:28 am

I loathe mid-week games too. If I were king they would be disallowed.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”