Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Whatever happened to Saturday College Football

BeauFoster
School: Appalachian State

Re: Whatever happened to Saturday College Football

Unread post by BeauFoster » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:35 pm

As I have said in years past when this thread pops up, if you don’t want weeknight games, you have 2 choices: drop back to FCS and never play on TV or be so terrible that networks don’t want us.

You can dislike it all you want, but your complaints will fall on deaf ears in Bristol.
Give 'em hell!

canes_mj

Unread post by canes_mj » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:05 pm

LOVE fall Saturdays in Boone...it is magical. I've always thought there is no better place in sports than a college campus on a fall football Saturday. But as others have pointed out, economics and App's place in the CFB universe are what they are. There's pros to weekday games too
- you've got a national spotlight to showcase your program
- night games are by nature rowdier
- makes a nice vacation from work
- having App off on some Saturdays lets me watch the other big matchups in CFB (Clem, Bama, etc)

We are who we are, $$ talks and we have to listen. There's only so much of it to go around. ULL just signed a sponsorship deal to name their stadium...that could be coming soon for us; we should at least listen.

These schedules are announced months in advance. Plenty of time to make plans and get off of work, arrange what to do with kids, etc.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:10 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:35 pm
As I have said in years past when this thread pops up, if you don’t want weeknight games, you have 2 choices: drop back to FCS and never play on TV or be so terrible that networks don’t want us.

You can dislike it all you want, but your complaints will fall on deaf ears in Bristol.
I doubt anyone wants to drop back, but nevertheless, we had lots of TV games while we were in FCS.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:13 pm

Gardner-Webb, Lenoir-Rhyne & Catawba plays all their games on Saturday.
YNWA

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:19 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:23 am
If we drop to a 6-6 program this won’t be an issue any longer. Be careful.
This 2021 schedule is kind of tough, we could make a run at 6-6?
BLACK SATURDAY

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:16 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:08 am
Saint3333 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:23 am
If we drop to a 6-6 program this won’t be an issue any longer. Be careful.
Yes, we all get this, but voicing displeasure on a message board isn't going to make us lose games, so nobody needs to "be careful."

Now did we need a new thread acting like this is a new discovery when our schedule came out three months ago, probably not.
Disagree. People that complain about the results of success do need to be careful or at a minimum have a surface level understanding of the college football landscape. Breeding this message within our fanbase and left unchecked is negative and not additive to building support.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:00 pm

NewApp wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:10 pm
BeauFoster wrote:

I doubt anyone wants to drop back, but nevertheless, we had lots of TV games while we were in FCS.
While in the socon, we essentially paid to have games broadcast on PBS. ESPN pays us to be on their networks. If you can’t recognize the difference, then I got nothing for ya.

Having 2 playoff games on ESPN, and from what I remember a single FRIDAY NIGHT game is hardly the exposure we receive now.
Give 'em hell!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:01 am

BeauFoster wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:00 pm
NewApp wrote:
BeauFoster wrote:

While in the socon, we essentially paid to have games broadcast on PBS. ESPN pays us to be on their networks. If you can’t recognize the difference, then I got nothing for ya.

Having 2 playoff games on ESPN, and from what I remember a single FRIDAY NIGHT game is hardly the exposure we receive now.
We had many games including ESPN2 and ESPNU as well as the Big 10 network. We were also on Sports South numerous times. We had one game vs ECU on ABC back in the '70's. If you can't remember, I can't help you either.
Google SUX

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:41 am

NewApp wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:01 am
BeauFoster wrote:
NewApp wrote:
BeauFoster wrote:

We had many games including ESPN2 and ESPNU as well as the Big 10 network. We were also on Sports South numerous times. We had one game vs ECU on ABC back in the '70's. If you can't remember, I can't help you either.
https://greensboro.com/community/rockin ... ast%20year.

"The previous records were set a year earlier in 2019, when the Mountaineers appeared on national TV seven times total, five during the regular season. The Mountaineers boast an all-time record of 36-11 in games aired on ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPNU, including a 5-2 mark last year."

In the entire history of our program we have only been on ESPN 47 times, most of those in the recent years.

Trying to compare being on regional television like sports south or extra package channels like Big 10 to things like ESPN, CBS, ABC, is absolutely ridiculous. If you can't see that well then I can't help you.....mainly because I'm not going to pay for your extra cable channels when I would rather we be on the main cable channels.

I'll take our national exposure we currently enjoy over anything we got while in the fcs.

You're in luck though!!! Your mental alma-mater WCU is playing Oklahoma so they will probably air on the Big 12 network. You will have to pay for it or get lucky enough to find a bar showing it but otherwise it will be a great opportunity for your cantamounts to show off on their only televised game this year that they have announced.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:01 pm

yosef95 wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:20 pm
I'm with you. I get it. Tues/Wed/Thurs games for $$ etc, but it isnt worth it. Give up one game sure, but mult games, you are losing magical Sat afternoons in Boone, recruiting etc. Boone is magical, but hard for ppl/fans/season ticket holders to get up for Tues or Wed games. Thurs games you can turn into a weekend
Sure, Fall Saturdays in Boone are amazing -- nobody is challenging that. Problem is, amazing magical days don't feed the athletic budget. TV contracts through the conference do though. There is a reason a select few are independent. The conference ties and guaranteed money coming from them (a large part being TV contracts) are a HUGE part of the budget. We can't just not have week day games. Sure, we can give the conference our preferences (Saturday home games) but every team in the conference has the same preference!

When we moved up, having weekday games was a known. It was planned for. Even with less Saturday home games than before, we are still making more money than the FCS days. Sure, our costs have gone up as well, but again, that was planned for. The exposure we have received since moving up is priceless. We were a known commodity in the Southeast. We are now a known commodity in the entire country.

When we moved up, it wasn't just to become FBS. It was because it's common knowledge another conference realignment will likely happen -- potentially BCS splitting off completely and forming their own super conference. When that happens, the G5 becomes the de-facto FCS (second tier), FCS becomes de-facto D2 (third tier), etc. We did not want to be left behind again so the move had to happen.

As far as recruiting goes -- we are competing for recruits of schools with the same "issue." The one G5 conference that has less weekday games is the AAC and the ultimate goal is to get there (or the equivalent with another realignment).
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:10 pm

appdaze wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:41 am
NewApp wrote:
BeauFoster wrote:
NewApp wrote:
BeauFoster wrote:

https://greensboro.com/community/rockin ... ast%20year.

"The previous records were set a year earlier in 2019, when the Mountaineers appeared on national TV seven times total, five during the regular season. The Mountaineers boast an all-time record of 36-11 in games aired on ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPNU, including a 5-2 mark last year."

In the entire history of our program we have only been on ESPN 47 times, most of those in the recent years.

Trying to compare being on regional television like sports south or extra package channels like Big 10 to things like ESPN, CBS, ABC, is absolutely ridiculous. If you can't see that well then I can't help you.....mainly because I'm not going to pay for your extra cable channels when I would rather we be on the main cable channels.

I'll take our national exposure we currently enjoy over anything we got while in the fcs.

You're in luck though!!! Your mental alma-mater WCU is playing Oklahoma so they will probably air on the Big 12 network. You will have to pay for it or get lucky enough to find a bar showing it but otherwise it will be a great opportunity for your cantamounts to show off on their only televised game this year that they have announced.
Yep, I love WCU as a sister school and have had some great experiences there with NCAAT and wonderful friends and alumni from there.My second favorite behind App though is West Chester State. They treated me like royalty when I got my Master's there.
As to money, I'd rather have a game in person on a Fall Saturday with recruits feeling the atmosphere of Boone and KBS.than us have the money. Hell, all that money didn't buy us a track. As I said we were on ABC in the 70's playing ECU.
Google SUX

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:53 pm

I will say that the SportSouth games with Bob Rathbun were really good - he was a top level play by play guy ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:17 pm

NewApp wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:10 pm
appdaze wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:41 am
NewApp wrote:
BeauFoster wrote:
NewApp wrote:

https://greensboro.com/community/rockin ... revious%20

Yep, I love WCU as a sister school and have had some great experiences there with NCAAT and wonderful friends and alumni from there.My second favorite behind App though is West Chester State. They treated me like royalty when I got my Master's there.
As to money, I'd rather have a game in person on a Fall Saturday with recruits feeling the atmosphere of Boone and KBS.than us have the money. Hell, all that money didn't buy us a track. As I said we were on ABC in the 70's playing ECU.
I believe it is common sense that we all would want every home game in Boone on a Saturday. One game back in the 70s (40 years ago is one game and probably broadcast regionally). The Thursday night game in Charlotte is great exposure for App St. ..and to recruiting, a great opportunity to put our program against another in-state program that we compete for recruits. For recruits that cannot be in-person, they see us on national TV. The bigger picture is the
TV contracts are required revenue to fulfill our costs to compete at this level. If we do not play to TV contracts, funds come from different source (cutting other sports ), etc. as football is the top sport at App St. If you want football on Saturdays that also comes with less TV revenue, you should probably place your primary allegiance to West Chester State.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:41 pm

Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:17 pm
The bigger picture is the TV contracts are required revenue to fulfill our costs to compete at this level. If we do not play to TV contracts, funds come from different source (cutting other sports ), etc. as football is the top sport at App St. If you want football on Saturdays that also comes with less TV revenue, you should probably place your primary allegiance to West Chester State.
This! Imagine complaining about cutting sports and other sports not being properly funded.. all while openly not donating to Yosef Club AND complaining about one of (if not the) highest portion of revenue the athletic department gets.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

SayYesToTheRock

Unread post by SayYesToTheRock » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:53 pm

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:53 am
Knowing what I know about how Black Saturday atmosphere is in Boone, we beat Georgia Southern in 2019 if that game is played on a Saturday at 3:30.
Perhaps, the but the (diminished) crowd was electric that night anyway. IMO the loss had more to do with the weather than the crowd. So many dropped passes and key turnovers by us that kept fueling GaSo, whose offense was ideally suited for those horrible conditions.

Appalachman

Unread post by Appalachman » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:25 pm

We got two very common complaints resolved with GASO on Saturday rather than on a short week and in rivalry week. But darn it Rivalry week happens to be a holiday week nearly every year. It will also be cold and possibly nasty weather which favors the model T offense the rival runs. ….And dang it they put the other big games on TV midweek now.
Nearly everyday is too hot or too cold and too wet or too dry for my liking.
Football is coming and we get to go to at least to some of the games this year!

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:29 pm

Knowing what I know about how Black Saturday atmosphere is in Boone, we beat Georgia Southern in 2019 if that game is played on a Saturday at 3:30.
In that weather, there would have been one half of Black Saturday atmosphere at most. Many of our fans would have left at the end of the first quarter. That was a die hard only evening of football

App_in_Maiden

Unread post by App_in_Maiden » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:51 am

WASU 93 wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:29 pm
In that weather, there would have been one half of Black Saturday atmosphere at most. Many of our fans would have left at the end of the first quarter. That was a die hard only evening of football
Could not agree more. That weather was the biggest factor in that game. For me, it was the most miserable game I’ve ever attended with the way the wind wouldn’t stop blowing. Walking back to the car, we saw a Port-a-John blow over and was sliding across the street.
“I don’t like talking to people I know, but strangers I have no problem with.” -Larry David

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:19 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:41 pm
Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:17 pm
The bigger picture is the TV contracts are required revenue to fulfill our costs to compete at this level. If we do not play to TV contracts, funds come from different source (cutting other sports ), etc. as football is the top sport at App St. If you want football on Saturdays that also comes with less TV revenue, you should probably place your primary allegiance to West Chester State.
This! Imagine complaining about cutting sports and other sports not being properly funded.. all while openly not donating to Yosef Club AND complaining about one of (if not the) highest portion of revenue the athletic department gets.
Umm, if I could pay all my bills and donate to my church and donate more to Yosef, I would. Get your facts straight. BTW, I do give a small amount but most to the Foundation and I have it in my will. I just don't have enough do it all. I do not discourage those who can afford it and do.
One or two games on a weekday is tolerable, but 4 in one seaosn..Geez.
Google SUX

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:20 am

Regardless, can't wait to be back in the stands now that upgrades to KBS are nearly complete.

We have a beautiful facility, one our players and fans can be proud of. I can't wait to see how loud it gets in there, the setup is perfect for noise amplification!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”