Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

G5 Preseason Top 25

ah59396
School: Appalachian State

Re: G5 Preseason Top 25

Unread post by ah59396 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:21 pm

SpeedkingATL wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:56 pm
The Revenge Tour begins on September 2nd in Charlotte.
I hope so. A loss to An ECU that’s been bad for a while would note bode well for the season, nor our national perception. The pressure is on.
YNWA

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:28 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:21 pm
SpeedkingATL wrote:
I hope so. A loss to An ECU that’s been bad for a while would note bode well for the season, nor our national perception. The pressure is on.
I do believe they will be improved but if we are a top 30 team, like we are hoping, then we should still beat them. A loss to ECU likely means a blowout in Miami and a disappointing season.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:32 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:28 pm
ah59396 wrote:
SpeedkingATL wrote:
I do believe they will be improved but if we are a top 30 team, like we are hoping, then we should still beat them. A loss to ECU likely means a blowout in Miami and a very long season.
Correct. A loss to ECU foreshadows a .500 season and a situation where we could be 1-3 entering conference play. Gross.
YNWA

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:35 am

ah59396 wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:32 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:28 pm
ah59396 wrote:
SpeedkingATL wrote:
I do believe they will be improved but if we are a top 30 team, like we are hoping, then we should still beat them. A loss to ECU likely means a blowout in Miami and a very long season.
Correct. A loss to ECU foreshadows a .500 season and a situation where we could be 1-3 entering conference play. Gross.
I could see better than .500 despite a loss to them but I would imagine somewhere around 7-5 and a best case scenario of 8-4 if we lose. It would indeed be a rough season. We really can't afford a loss to them.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:10 am

Wow putting the potential of a good/great/decent/bad/horrible all on one game. I mean I get it but geez. We have really set our bar high. Think of how many programs would kill for 8-4. Again, I totally get it but even if we don’t beat ECU and Miami whose to say we wouldn’t bounce back and run the table? Obviously this is just summer banter but if we want to be legit and get into the National discussion we absolutely must play and beat quality opponents. I really don’t get that “ranking” on the top 25 G5 thread. It’s useless and stupid and lacks any real analysis but aren’t we kind of loaded next season? Don’t we have a bunch of super seniors coming back along with plenty of depth? Maybe I’m missing something. Seems like everything is contingent on our QB. We have peer schools who bring in a new QB and keep on getting it. We seem to worry to death when we make a transition.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:52 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:10 am
Wow putting the potential of a good/great/decent/bad/horrible all on one game. I mean I get it but geez. We have really set our bar high. Think of how many programs would kill for 8-4. Again, I totally get it but even if we don’t beat ECU and Miami whose to say we wouldn’t bounce back and run the table? Obviously this is just summer banter but if we want to be legit and get into the National discussion we absolutely must play and beat quality opponents. I really don’t get that “ranking” on the top 25 G5 thread. It’s useless and stupid and lacks any real analysis but aren’t we kind of loaded next season? Don’t we have a bunch of super seniors coming back along with plenty of depth? Maybe I’m missing something. Seems like everything is contingent on our QB. We have peer schools who bring in a new QB and keep on getting it. We seem to worry to death when we make a transition.
Personally, I believe it is more than QB. Offensive play calling was very predictable....or the presentation/delivery was predictable. I reviewed highlights from several bowl games. In the run game, prior to last year, we have appearance of read/option even if we still have to RB most of time. Last year, it seemed Zach just turned around and handed to RB. To me, those little things create some hesitation by DL or LB and gets a few extra yards..We only beat teams we should have beaten and lost to teams we should have beaten if play calling was better IMO. LaLa was handing the game to us with botched punts and we still lost at home. I also believe that changes at OL create an unknown...could be a positive or a negative...will not know about OL until games played.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:13 am

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:28 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
I think many of us view an ECU loss as ominous of a bad year coming because they are not a top tier AAC and really are nowhere near considered top 40 in the country like we are suppose to be. I personally view about 4 teams on our schedule as better than ECU. We would need to see a lot of improvement if we lose to them or it could be a 4-5 loss season.

I know people feel like we are spoiled to consider 4-5 losses being bad but when you have the results we have had and supposedly seeing better talent, or at least more of the top end G5 talent, coming to Boone than 4-5 years ago that we should expect to see us at least maintain a SBC title contender program. The SBC is so good now that 4 losses puts you on the outside of the title contender picture.

The G5 top 25 list is pointless like you said because there is no such official poll. It is just a way to get clicks from the G5 schools. As for us being loaded, many others have a lot of super seniors as well. Coastal Carolina is bringing back all but like 2 seniors from last year. Louisiana is bringing a lot of them back as well.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:03 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
It all matters. We compete with ECU in state for a ton of recruits. We also compete with the broader top tier G5. We do that because 8-4 seasons are the exception. A loss to ECU, on national tv, in Charlotte would hurt. In my opinion it would resonate far more than a Wednesday night loss to Arkansas State.

You are right, UTSA or UNCC would kill for 8-4. I’m beyond relieved our bar is far higher. As it should.
YNWA

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:54 pm

Looking back over the years, a season with four or five losses (or the percentage equivalent) is disappointing, and has been throughout the history of App State football. For all the new heights this program has achieved, this is not one of them.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:34 pm

Who is saying we will lose 4 games?? I think AppStfan1 was saying if we lose to ECU then it would be ominous. And Biggie’s primary point was even if we were to lose, that doesn’t mean that we will lose 4 games. And I think it is very unlikely to lose 4 games with how good our D will be this season. Heck most of us considered 9-3 an off year. The primary reason we lost those games had little to do with play calling but the injuries we had in three of the offensive positions. Unless we get snake bit by the injury bug, we will have a pretty good season.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:05 pm

AppFan11 wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:34 pm
Who is saying we will lose 4 games?? I think AppStfan1 was saying if we lose to ECU then it would be ominous. And Biggie’s primary point was even if we were to lose, that doesn’t mean that we will lose 4 games. And I think it is very unlikely to lose 4 games with how good our D will be this season. Heck most of us considered 9-3 an off year. The primary reason we lost those games had little to do with play calling but the injuries we had in three of the offensive positions. Unless we get snake bit by the injury bug, we will have a pretty good season.
My line of thinking is:

A loss to ECU could certainly be a one off or who knows, maybe ECU turns out to shock everyone and be great this year.

While both of those could be true, I consider them unlikely.

Therefore, a loss to ECU could be an indication that we are in for a long season. OMINOUS.

Additionally I subscribe to the belief that it’ll negatively impact our in-state recruiting to some degree. More so than a loss to Miami or Marshall would.

These are my opinions. Lets hope we hammer ECU by 24 and it’s all moot.
YNWA

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:54 pm

We don’t typically go head to head with them for recruits. Looking at their last two classes and their commits for this year, there isn’t one with an offer from APP. They do go head to head with Charlotte quite a bit. The last recruit that we went straight up with them was TE Shane Calhoun. He waited too long with us and we pulled the trigger on Wilson. Calhoun chose ECU then and even tried to circle back with us just before NSD.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:32 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:54 pm
We don’t typically go head to head with them for recruits. Looking at their last two classes and their commits for this year, there isn’t one with an offer from APP. They do go head to head with Charlotte quite a bit. The last recruit that we went straight up with them was TE Shane Calhoun. He waited too long with us and we pulled the trigger on Wilson. Calhoun chose ECU then and even tried to circle back with us just before NSD.
They tried to get Da'Shawn Brown pretty bad. I know their offer listed here was a take: https://247sports.com/Recruitment/DaSha ... Interests/

To your point, we don't go head to head with them a ton but we need to beat them or else the perception will remain that we are behind them. If ECU does beat us then we better hope they win 9-11 games and prove to be a legit team.

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:12 am

I don't subscribe to the theory of a G5 poll, of any kind.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:19 am

My opinion on the season is that I hold no expectations on the overall outcome. I can’t control it, so therefore, I will just wait and see why it turns out the way it does. Having said that, I don’t see any reason that we can’t be in the mix against all comers. My reasoning is this: our defense is ahead of our offense in terms of quality depth. The unit is fast and aggressive and we have backups that can come in and perform well. The offense has more concerns, if you will. We have four starters across the OL that are either starting or playing a new position. WR is loaded. Last year’s experience due to injuries and opt outs will benefit us greatly. Potential injuries at TE and RB could be an issue.

As to Chase Brice at QB, I will say this. I have zero concern with his ability to lead. All indications from Spring Ball are that Dale Jones threw everything at him defensively and he performed well. Our first team defense is arguably the second or third best defense that he is going to face this year, so he should be good to go.

citroknight
School: UCF

Unread post by citroknight » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:28 am

I'm shocked he put App so far down that list. There's at least 10 teams I thought ... Really? Ahead of App?

I think that disrespect will go away in a few years. Especially with the jump in recruiting I saw from App last year. App has had a great run in the Belt without bringing in the top recruiting classes. I can only imagine what you'll do now that you seem to be in that top of the conference range for recruiting rankings.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:34 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:05 pm
AppFan11 wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:34 pm
My line of thinking is:

A loss to ECU could certainly be a one off or who knows, maybe ECU turns out to shock everyone and be great this year.

While both of those could be true, I consider them unlikely.

Therefore, a loss to ECU could be an indication that we are in for a long season. OMINOUS.

Additionally I subscribe to the belief that it’ll negatively impact our in-state recruiting to some degree. More so than a loss to Miami or Marshall would.

These are my opinions. Lets hope we hammer ECU by 24 and it’s all moot.
I think you are dead on. A loss to ECU could be excused BUT the more likely scenario is that it is a real indicator of our team’s performance capability for the entire season.

See 2020 season with our performance at Marshall. We didn’t get blown out but we just didn’t have what extra we needed to win the bigger games.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:11 am

citroknight wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:28 am
I'm shocked he put App so far down that list. There's at least 10 teams I thought ... Really? Ahead of App?

I think that disrespect will go away in a few years. Especially with the jump in recruiting I saw from App last year. App has had a great run in the Belt without bringing in the top recruiting classes. I can only imagine what you'll do now that you seem to be in that top of the conference range for recruiting rankings.
The disrespect will go away when we stop losing all these games on Nat TV.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:04 pm

bcoach wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:11 am
citroknight wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:28 am

The disrespect will go away when we stop losing all these games on Nat TV.
That is a big part of it. CCU was getting respect but the BYU win put them over the top. Our fans need to stop getting into spats on Twitter with CCU. Let the players do the talking. If we don't win the SBC this fall then we should not get respect. We can't win the SBC when it is considered a bottom G5 and then expect to be respected when we keep losing once the profile of the league has improved. Must win the big games.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”