Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Mark Speir Returns

NewApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Mark Speir Returns

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:58 am

At any rate, welcome home, Coach! (second home since he was at Western first, I believe).

Wonder if the $700K was contingent on him not taking a true coaching position elsewhere?
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

mikeyosef

Unread post by mikeyosef » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:28 am

I love having Mark Speir back at App...While I could be wrong I believe the poor WCU record is more a reflection of how hard it is to recruit and win there than anything Speir did or did not do. I trust Clark will fill open coaching positions with the best people he can find; he is THE man and we will win or lose through his leadership.

On another note, and this may have been covered elsewhere on the board, the article stated Billy Napier received a raise from $1-2 million per year. WOW, that's a big escalation in the Sun Belt HC salary race. I wonder what that means for us and what does it say about Napier's potential longevity with the Cajuns. I mean, if he sticks around a few more years they are going to be even harder to beat. As far as I'm concerned he gets all the credit for their recovery from mediocrity to championship level play.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:34 am

mikeyosef wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:28 am
On another note, and this may have been covered elsewhere on the board, the article stated Billy Napier received a raise from $1-2 million per year. WOW, that's a big escalation in the Sun Belt HC salary race.
And majority of the increase is being paid for by their booster club.... maybe this will teach #AppNation the importance of giving just $5-10 a month to Yosef Club!
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:55 pm

I don't mind our guys taking care of our own if they are good guys. Nothing wrong with that. That is just good business. See points about Bama and Saban. App is building a dynasty here and we want it to persist long past any one person.

mikeyosef

Unread post by mikeyosef » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:53 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:34 am
mikeyosef wrote:
On another note, and this may have been covered elsewhere on the board, the article stated Billy Napier received a raise from $1-2 million per year. WOW, that's a big escalation in the Sun Belt HC salary race.
And majority of the increase is being paid for by their booster club.... maybe this will teach #AppNation the importance of giving just $5-10 a month to Yosef Club!
I didn't know that about their boosters. I guess feeling the sting of loss for a few years followed by the elation of winning again is a pretty good motivator. You're right, I hope we don't have to have the same experience to up our Yosef Club giving. We increased our giving this year and will likely do the same next year. Recently someone posted a graph on here outlining Booster contributions across a number of NC schools and it was striking to me the per donor giving to Yosef vs some other clubs. We have fewer Donors but higher $ donations per donor than ECU and I think UNCC and there may have been others. The key is increasing the number of donors not focusing on existing donors giving more, though that may be the lowest hanging fruit.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:05 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
mikeyosef wrote:
In reading the article of how it breaks down, it’s either shrewd or shady. $400k base but $1.6 from the foundation is interesting. I know that they just got a big donation, but I didn’t think that they were flush with cash otherwise. The buyout was interesting. It decreases the longer it goes, which makes sense. But the buyouts get cut in half if the current AD isn’t there.

mikeyosef

Unread post by mikeyosef » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:27 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:05 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
mikeyosef wrote:
In reading the article of how it breaks down, it’s either shrewd or shady. $400k base but $1.6 from the foundation is interesting. I know that they just got a big donation, but I didn’t think that they were flush with cash otherwise. The buyout was interesting. It decreases the longer it goes, which makes sense. But the buyouts get cut in half if the current AD isn’t there.
That is odd. Frankly, I can't believe they have been able to hang on the Napier this long but I guess they are willing to do whatever it takes to keep him at least a year or two more. The buyout tied to the AD seems really strange to me.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:16 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
mikeyosef wrote:

Then I'm vindicated. LOL Just because I don't give $10K a year and buy 4 sets of season tickets...then I'm not a disloyal App fan after all? FTR, I never told anyone what they should give or not give. Just clarifying for the ones who know who they are. Of course certain members of this board have encouraged everyone else to put me on ignore. LOL That can't hurt me because I would have no idea who they were and whether or not anyone they had me on ignore and wouldn't give a round of feces if they did..
All kidding aside. We need the big donors but need the chump change from big numbers of people just as much.
Google SUX

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:25 am

NewApp wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:16 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
mikeyosef wrote:

Then I'm vindicated. LOL Just because I don't give $10K a year and buy 4 sets of season tickets...then I'm not a disloyal App fan after all? FTR, I never told anyone what they should give or not give. Just clarifying for the ones who know who they are. Of course certain members of this board have encouraged everyone else to put me on ignore. LOL That can't hurt me because I would have no idea who they were and whether or not anyone they had me on ignore and wouldn't give a round of feces if they did..
All kidding aside. We need the big donors but need the chump change from big numbers of people just as much.
Ummm didn't realize you make up all of #AppNation. Believe it or not, the world doesn't revolve around you.

I was talking about the fan base as a whole.

Also, I am not sure how $5-10 a month equates to $10 a year and 4 sets of season tickets, but ok. If you legitimately cannot afford $5-$10 a month, then don't join. If you can skip one overpriced mediocre coffee, one beer at the bar, or one greasy fast food hamburger, then put that money to Yosef!
tAPPedInSports.net

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:17 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:25 am
NewApp wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
mikeyosef wrote:

Ummm didn't realize you make up all of #AppNation. Believe it or not, the world doesn't revolve around you.

Also, I am not sure how $5-10 a month equates to $10 a year and 4 sets of season tickets, but ok. If you legitimately cannot afford $5-$10 a month, then don't join. If you can skip one overpriced mediocre coffee, one beer at the bar, or one greasy fast food hamburger, then put that money to Yosef!
I love the snark. .I realize that it doesn't revolve around me. . It revolves around you, evidently
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:20 am

AppStateNews wrote:
NewApp wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
mikeyosef wrote:

I love the snark. .I realize that it doesn't revolve around me. . It revolves around you, evidently As to 5 dollars a month, if you have read my posts objectively you would realize I give more to the Foundation. That's where we hurt the most in comparison to most of our sister schools..
Google SUX

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:48 am

NewApp wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:20 am
AppStateNews wrote:
NewApp wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
mikeyosef wrote:

I love the snark. .I realize that it doesn't revolve around me. . It revolves around you, evidently As to 5 dollars a month, if you have read my posts objectively you would realize I give more to the Foundation. That's where we hurt the most in comparison to most of our sister schools..
Again, the giving just $5-$10 a month wasn't directed to you. It was directed to the entire non-donating living alumni (over 100,000). Why do you think it was directed at you?

If just 50% of our living alumni gave $5 a month, we almost double our current Yosef Club donations. Again, this isn't about you -- this is about the entirety of #AppNation.

Now, back to the regular scheduled program... WELCOME BACK COACH SPIER!
tAPPedInSports.net

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:44 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:42 pm
It never hurts to have a former head coach, recruiting coordinator, and position coach in the house to bounce ideas off of.
Agree with it all, especially the recruiting coordinator part if MS does hang around for a few years. I believe the players like Speir and his energy. I imagine he's got good connections with high school coaches and probably made more being a HC. IIRC, he helped to make headway into recruiting GA where App has managed to land some stud players. I don't see any downside to bringing him back.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:21 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
NewApp wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
mikeyosef wrote:

PS. Guess you took my post seriously...did you NOT see the LOL after the first three words? Guess not, but whatever.
Google SUX

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”