Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Any “real” journalism on the USC situation.

spacemonkey
School: Appalachian State

Any “real” journalism on the USC situation.

Unread post by spacemonkey » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:11 pm

What really happened? What did we(App) get?

Has anyone used the freedom of information act to get the real info…not the spin.

USC being South Carolina Gamecocks.

HkyMtneer

Re: Any “real” journalism on the USC situation.

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:03 am

spacemonkey wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:11 pm

Has anyone used the freedom of information act to get the real info…not the spin.

Just curious...what are you thinking we might find, "hidden" if you will? I know DG & co. have put the best spin on it that they possibly can, but I really do think, in this case, the facts are the facts. The primary fact = we need $$$ and lots of it! I would have loved to have USC come up the mtn. sooner rather than later, just like all of us, but the fact is that we make more $ under the terms of this deal by going to Columbia again than we would profit if they came up the mtn. to play at KBS. Then you add in a 2nd game at Williams-Brice and we make A LOT more money than had the Cocks just came up the mtn. once to finish off the back end of the original 1-and-1.

As far as pushing the home date back as far as we did - I think that was DG playing the logistical game in thinking that by then, maybe, we'll have underwent a seating expansion that makes a home game against teams like USC just as financially beneficial for us as if we went to their house. Or at least it becomes a break-even situation and then we get the home-cooking/campus/Boone exposure benefit as the +.

Had COVID not emerged and changed our world I'm not sure this re-engineered deal would have happened. COVID and our funding deficits has forced Doug's hand and this is one card he was able to play. All things considered, I'm fine with it...though I'm not sure something won't happen between now and USC's trip to Boone to cause the cancellation/further pushing of that game. Then again, if it were to happen once again it would be at yet another financial benefit to us.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:40 am

FOIA doesn’t apply but the NC public records law does. Email DG and request the contract , as amended.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:43 pm

HkyMtneer wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:03 am
spacemonkey wrote:

Just curious...what are you thinking we might find, "hidden" if you will? I know DG & co. have put the best spin on it that they possibly can, but I really do think, in this case, the facts are the facts. The primary fact = we need $$$ and lots of it! I would have loved to have USC come up the mtn. sooner rather than later, just like all of us, but the fact is that we make more $ under the terms of this deal by going to Columbia again than we would profit if they came up the mtn. to play at KBS. Then you add in a 2nd game at Williams-Brice and we make A LOT more money than had the Cocks just came up the mtn. once to finish off the back end of the original 1-and-1.

As far as pushing the home date back as far as we did - I think that was DG playing the logistical game in thinking that by then, maybe, we'll have underwent a seating expansion that makes a home game against teams like USC just as financially beneficial for us as if we went to their house. Or at least it becomes a break-even situation and then we get the home-cooking/campus/Boone exposure benefit as the +.

Had COVID not emerged and changed our world I'm not sure this re-engineered deal would have happened. COVID and our funding deficits has forced Doug's hand and this is one card he was able to play. All things considered, I'm fine with it...though I'm not sure something won't happen between now and USC's trip to Boone to cause the cancellation/further pushing of that game. Then again, if it were to happen once again it would be at yet another financial benefit to us.
Good synopsis, don't think there is anything nefarious at play here. Whether we like it or not, financially this works better. We would all love to have a P5 roll into KBS every year but for many reasons that just isn't feasible at this point in our growth cycle as a program.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:44 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:43 pm
HkyMtneer wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:03 am
spacemonkey wrote:

Good synopsis, don't think there is anything nefarious at play here. Whether we like it or not, financially this works better. We would all love to have a big name P5 roll into KBS every year but for many reasons that just isn't feasible at this point in our growth cycle as a program.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:01 pm

This was the original report based on the amended contract, which has no spin. App agreed to change the contract for two more guarantee games worth $3.9 million and push the "home and home" back to 2033-34.

https://fbschedules.com/south-carolina- ... re-series/

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:13 am

T-Dog wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:01 pm
This was the original report based on the amended contract, which has no spin. App agreed to change the contract for two more guarantee games worth $3.9 million and push the "home and home" back to 2033-34.

Ah, nothing like pushing it out over 10 years away, but hey some of us may have kids going there by that point.

asumba95

Unread post by asumba95 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:28 am

these days, "real" journalist are scarce.

mikeyosef

Unread post by mikeyosef » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:45 am

VNova wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:13 am
T-Dog wrote:

Ah, nothing like pushing it out over 10 years away, but hey some of us may have kids going there by that point.
In 10 years my youngest child will be graduated from App, assuming he gets in and goes there and doesn't stay for a Masters. Maybe he'll be a young booster; time will tell.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:56 am

Any “real” journalism? = are there any articles that support what I already believe - that something nefarious went down?

Modern media has ruined all of us.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:30 am

VNova wrote:
T-Dog wrote:

I'll be 86.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

mikeyosef

Unread post by mikeyosef » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:25 pm

NewApp wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:30 am
VNova wrote:
T-Dog wrote:

I'll be 86.
Well, I'll only be 82

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:54 pm

mikeyosef wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:25 pm
NewApp wrote:

I'll be 86.
Well, I'll only be 82
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:37 am

mikeyosef wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:25 pm
NewApp wrote:
VNova wrote:
T-Dog wrote:

I'll be 86.
Well, I'll only be 82
If I get hit by beer truck, you’ll catch up to me.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:14 pm

T-Dog wrote:

This is what I was looking for. I did not think it was something shady by App...I was curious if it was SC trying to get out of playing App. It looks like it was more of us looking for money. Thanks for the link.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”