Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

2021 depth

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: 2021 depth

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:06 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:48 pm
Also on the RB depth, not sure Daetrich is as sold as some on the outside about him not playing this year.
If you consider that he had surgery on Dec 1st, for him to be back by opening day, or soon after, would be a nine month turnaround. He is a freak when it comes to recovery, but that is a tall order for a second tear. But, if anyone can do it, it is him.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:18 pm

Checking his Twitter he seems pretty confident in himself. Clemson had a kid tear his ACL in spring ball and was back for week 1, it’s not the 12 month recovery time it once was. And PS you don’t have to go checking with ASM before commenting ;)

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:27 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:18 pm
Checking his Twitter he seems pretty confident in himself. Clemson had a kid tear his ACL in spring ball and was back for week 1, it’s not the 12 month recovery time it once was. And PS you don’t have to go checking with ASM before commenting ;)
I made the statement the other day and it holds true. Now I know that you are the same douche over there that picks fights with everyone that disagrees with you. I knew there was a reason as to why I should ignore you over here too.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:39 pm

For you guys arguing over recovery time of ACLs it was once just about a death wish for a career and took every bit of a year or more to recover from but that is no longer the case. It is still hard but some athletes bounce back as fast as 6 months and typically is 7-8 1/2 months. They can take 9-10 months but that is a slower recovery instead of it being a fast one like it was in the 90s. Ask our strength coach and he will tell you that being out 10-11 months is not the expectation that it once was for everyone. Many return around 7-8 months. If you suffer a torn ACL in March you are out for the season but if it happens in say November the year before you can be back by September 1.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:18 pm

Good chance DH is back. 9 months is normal recovery anymore. And as stated before, he's a freak in the rehab process. For him, the worry is the mental part of overcoming the fear of tearing it again. That's just going to come with reps.

Aso, funny how the guy that turns everything into an argument on this board is complaining about somebody else on another board.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:17 pm

I agree with '94 that when you look at our top five recruits by 247 year over year, its not great. From a quick look, since 2014, we've had 35 top 5 recruits....... and have lost 15 of them. Approximately lost 43% of these recruits. I'm sure there are a multitude of reasons for this... but one would certainly be, that when they came to Apps, they expected to play right away. When that did not happen, they looked for greener pastures.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:46 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:18 pm
Good chance DH is back. 9 months is normal recovery anymore. And as stated before, he's a freak in the rehab process. For him, the worry is the mental part of overcoming the fear of tearing it again. That's just going to come with reps.

Aso, funny how the guy that turns everything into an argument on this board is complaining about somebody else on another board.
It’s called point-counter-point and is part of a debate. Just because one disagrees with you, it isn’t an argument. Pro tip- if you don’t wish to engage in an “argument”, just put me on the ignore list and move on with your life. Have a great holiday weekend.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:10 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:46 am
AppStateNews wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:18 pm

It’s called point-counter-point and is part of a debate. Just because one disagrees with you, it isn’t an argument. Pro tip- if you don’t wish to engage in an “argument”, just put me on the ignore list and move on with your life. Have a great holiday weekend.
Ah, it's called point-counter-point when you do it.. but when others do it to you, it's called an argument and they are d**** bags! Got it!
tAPPedInSports.net

Boroneer10

Unread post by Boroneer10 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:35 am

Are Tommy Wright and Stan Ellis still on the team? Noticed they aren’t on the roster online.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:42 am

Boroneer10 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:35 am
Are Tommy Wright and Stan Ellis still on the team? Noticed they aren’t on the roster online.
They are not.

appst1992

Unread post by appst1992 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:39 am

Gonzo wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:34 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:02 am
hapapp wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:42 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:59 am
Brice was good enough for the coaches, and that’s good enough for me.

Just curious. How would you guys have felt about getting a kid with great stats from a lower division school?
What do you think our assesssement of Brice would have been if he had transferred to one of our SBC peers? I just think most outside observers are taking a wait and see attitude based on his one season where he was the starter. I don't think that's an unreasonable take for those folks. I'm not sure what you expect them to do otherwise.
I can’t speak for everyone else but I wouldn’t have cared to make an assessment on his game if he wasn’t coming here. I get why some are skeptical and I understand the wait and see approach. That’s all we can do. I just don’t see a reason to be concerned. Yes, his individual statistics last year were atrocious. But, there are a lot of factors that went into those stats that often get overlooked or discounted. They need to be factored in to get an accurate assessment. Mechanically, he is sound. He showed enough fundamental talent to garner a scholarship to one of the best college programs in the country. He was recruited, as a transfer, by arguably the best QB guru in the game. He has talent, and those with eyes for talent, have noticed. So, I am optimistic that CB will be fine. He has a running game this year to keep defenses honest. He has a plethora of receivers that thrive in one on one matchups, and yes, (forgive me Lord for saying this to the masses), he is a better passer than ZT. That is all.
I wasn't worried about Chase until we signed Huesman for a super senior year.

I'm no insider, but it was my understanding that some '20 seniors were invited to return and others were not. Some that were offered declined. Some time later our coaches got out with the new QB room and decided, "actually, let's invite Jacob back." To me that at LEAST signaled that Navy is a bust and DC isn't going to be ready to be a reliable number two. When there was talk about a "QB battle" I concluded that maybe Chase himself is disappointing everyone. Of course a QB battle announcement can be coach speak and it could be a ploy to light a competitive fire under Chase. My current uneducated prediction is a mix: that the QB depth issue plus the benefit of having a player who is very familiar with our offense working with Chase is the reason for the decision to resign Jacob. I agree that Chase CLEARLY has loads of talent. And from what I hear he's an outstanding leader. But it is disappointing to know that we've whiffed so many times in a row at recruiting QBs (Brown, DBG, Navy).

Honestly I'm much more worried about rebuilding the O-line that seemed to struggle pass blocking against good teams last years. And I worry, frankly, that Cardwell is in over his head. I think that unit will be the difference between a 9 win season and a 12 win season. And ironically it will probably dictate most people's opinion on Chase Brice.

As the OP suggests, skill positions on this offense are at a level this conference has never seen.
This is what I'm most worried about as well.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:16 am

appst1992 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:39 am
Gonzo wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:34 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:02 am
hapapp wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:42 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:59 am
Brice was good enough for the coaches, and that’s good enough for me.

Just curious. How would you guys have felt about getting a kid with great stats from a lower division school?
What do you think our assesssement of Brice would have been if he had transferred to one of our SBC peers? I just think most outside observers are taking a wait and see attitude based on his one season where he was the starter. I don't think that's an unreasonable take for those folks. I'm not sure what you expect them to do otherwise.
I can’t speak for everyone else but I wouldn’t have cared to make an assessment on his game if he wasn’t coming here. I get why some are skeptical and I understand the wait and see approach. That’s all we can do. I just don’t see a reason to be concerned. Yes, his individual statistics last year were atrocious. But, there are a lot of factors that went into those stats that often get overlooked or discounted. They need to be factored in to get an accurate assessment. Mechanically, he is sound. He showed enough fundamental talent to garner a scholarship to one of the best college programs in the country. He was recruited, as a transfer, by arguably the best QB guru in the game. He has talent, and those with eyes for talent, have noticed. So, I am optimistic that CB will be fine. He has a running game this year to keep defenses honest. He has a plethora of receivers that thrive in one on one matchups, and yes, (forgive me Lord for saying this to the masses), he is a better passer than ZT. That is all.
I wasn't worried about Chase until we signed Huesman for a super senior year.

I'm no insider, but it was my understanding that some '20 seniors were invited to return and others were not. Some that were offered declined. Some time later our coaches got out with the new QB room and decided, "actually, let's invite Jacob back." To me that at LEAST signaled that Navy is a bust and DC isn't going to be ready to be a reliable number two. When there was talk about a "QB battle" I concluded that maybe Chase himself is disappointing everyone. Of course a QB battle announcement can be coach speak and it could be a ploy to light a competitive fire under Chase. My current uneducated prediction is a mix: that the QB depth issue plus the benefit of having a player who is very familiar with our offense working with Chase is the reason for the decision to resign Jacob. I agree that Chase CLEARLY has loads of talent. And from what I hear he's an outstanding leader. But it is disappointing to know that we've whiffed so many times in a row at recruiting QBs (Brown, DBG, Navy).

Honestly I'm much more worried about rebuilding the O-line that seemed to struggle pass blocking against good teams last years. And I worry, frankly, that Cardwell is in over his head. I think that unit will be the difference between a 9 win season and a 12 win season. And ironically it will probably dictate most people's opinion on Chase Brice.

As the OP suggests, skill positions on this offense are at a level this conference has never seen.
This is what I'm most worried about as well.
I think the OL is the biggest real question mark. Personally, I don't think Cardwell is in "over his head." I think it's possible that he showed his rookie status last year, and with the limited meetings and practice, it was a bad year to be a rookie. Cardwell has had a full year to be mentored by Clark since then and I think he will show marked improvement. Maybe it's just the homer in me but I think he's shown the ability to adapt before and he's going to be another great OL coach.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:24 am

I will put money on this season being one of the most dominant seasons ever for our OLine... just call it a feeling.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:28 am

The thing is, if we have another weaker year on the Oline, people will be calling for cardwell's job, but in reality, we lost key players this past off season, we have a lot of (great) inexperienced guys who will need to learn on the job and step up, and we have a few that havent' panned out as hoped. but we also have some highly rated/highly recruited guys who are true freshmen. In another 1-2 years we should be loaded on the line again, but we need to be realistic that we aren't (depth wise especially) where we are used to being on the Oline. If we get the injury bug at that position this year, it will get "interesting" quickly

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:44 am

The Rock wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:28 am
The thing is, if we have another weaker year on the Oline, people will be calling for cardwell's job, but in reality, we lost key players this past off season, we have a lot of (great) inexperienced guys who will need to learn on the job and step up, and we have a few that havent' panned out as hoped. but we also have some highly rated/highly recruited guys who are true freshmen. In another 1-2 years we should be loaded on the line again, but we need to be realistic that we aren't (depth wise especially) where we are used to being on the Oline. If we get the injury bug at that position this year, it will get "interesting" quickly
Great points. Based on what we are losing next year, we may have a lot of people calling for jobs next year.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:45 am

NavyApp wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:24 am
I will put money on this season being one of the most dominant seasons ever for our OLine... just call it a feeling.
I hope it ain't that Mexican food bubbling up in ya.
BLACK SATURDAY

Boroneer10

Unread post by Boroneer10 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:19 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:42 am
Boroneer10 wrote:
They are not.
Do we know what happened? Upset about playing time?

I was excited about Wright, great talent.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:42 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:45 am
NavyApp wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:24 am
I hope it ain't that Mexican food bubbling up in ya.
I've been outside alot so maybe it's a heat stroke, but I stand by it!
FREQS AND GEEKS!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:57 pm

I’ve watched a ton of football in my life. I could not really coach it but I believe I have a good feel for many of the nuances involved. What I don’t really get is the difference in a good and great offensive line or special teams coach. If a team has great talent (hopefully experienced) offensive linemen how badly can a guy screw that up? Don’t those guys block according to plays called? As far as special teams go if your kicker drills every kickoff into the endzone there isn’t much left to do. Conversely if your return guy never gets a shot to bring one back blocking is irrelevant. Almost the same with punt fair catches.

I’m not trying to completely minimize position coaches but to say a guy might be in over his head based on how 5-6 dudes performed is tough. So every offensive line we dominate has a bad coach? Hmm

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:13 pm

Boroneer10 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:19 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:42 am
Boroneer10 wrote:
They are not.
Do we know what happened? Upset about playing time?

I was excited about Wright, great talent.
Wright just wasn't having fun playing football any more. He is a great talent -- and extremely bright. If he decides not to play football any more, he should still be able to get his degree.
tAPPedInSports.net

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”