Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

2021 depth

Tomahawk
School: Appalachian State

2021 depth

Unread post by Tomahawk » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:53 am

I don’t follow daily so forgive me if it’s already been discussed. But considering the concession of seniors returning due to COVID last season being granted an extra year of eligibility, who else is thinking we are STACKED at WR and RB?

This list probably doesn’t account for all but….

Hennigan
Sutton
Malik
Virgil
Fresh and soph standouts from last year, plus incoming freshman talent…. Stacked!

Not to mention studs at RB and Defense…

If we get a standout at QB I smell a NY6 birth alas! LFG!

AppGrad78

Re: 2021 depth

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:09 am

Tomahawk wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:53 am
I don’t follow daily so forgive me if it’s already been discussed. But considering the concession of seniors returning due to COVID last season being granted an extra year of eligibility, who else is thinking we are STACKED at WR and RB?

This list probably doesn’t account for all but….

Hennigan
Sutton
Malik
Virgil
Fresh and soph standouts from last year, plus incoming freshman talent…. Stacked!

Not to mention studs at RB and Defense…

If we get a standout at QB
I smell a NY6 birth alas! LFG!
That’s the elephant in the room.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:20 am

We always have a standout at QB - expecting more of the same -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:54 am

That’s true, my friend.

But when was the last time we had a quarterback who isn’t likely to bail us out with his feet on third-and-long? Maybe he can do it consistently with his arm, but it’s a paradigm shift I’m having trouble getting my head around.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:22 pm

I had heard that CB is more like Lamb. Athletic enough to pick up a few yards when needed, but not the break away speed like ZT had. TL won us plenty of games with the ability to scramble just enough when needed.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:32 pm

Some guys tend to find that hidden burst when big, angry fast dudes are chasing them. For me it’s like the combine when the linemen fun the 40. I don’t need my 300 lb mountain running down the field really fast. I need my QB to be smart and to be able to break an arm tackle and get those tough 8 yard scrambles for a first. And complete 70% of his passes.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:34 pm

here are some clips of Chase - a couple show him running the ball - he is a big guy and tough runner -

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=vi ... ORM=VDQVAP
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:22 pm

Looks like Eli Manning running the ball in the Dook highlights.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:00 pm

You mean when he ran over the Notre Dame DT?
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:52 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:00 pm
You mean when he ran over the Notre Dame DT?
Not worried about his mental or physical toughness or his ability to get to the sticks. More concerned about his mediocre career pass completion rate (<60%) and 15 INTs as a starter last year.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/p ... hase-brice

I hope he lights it up this year….but, glad we still have Jacob Huesman for one more year.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:22 am

Are there extensive highlights of the horrific Duke games from last year showing (I’m sure) Chase either running for his life or throwing to guys who can’t get open? There is probably a correlation between passer stats and team records- low QB stats on bad teams. I doubt if you typically see a great QB on a bad team with big numbers and a high completion rate. For what it’s worth we probably won’t see a highly successful P5 QB transfer to App and leave a starting job with a winning team.

Looks like considerable depth at the skill positions. We probably have young guys that nobody really even knows about yet.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:29 am

When a team APP has a proven running game and offensive line and not always playing from behind the odds of having bad completion average and number of INTs goes down significantly
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:38 am

I'm not saying disregard the troubles at Duke but watch these from Clemson who had a proven running game and solid OL and not always playing from behind -

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=cl ... &FORM=VIRE
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:59 am

Brice was good enough for the coaches, and that’s good enough for me.

Just curious. How would you guys have felt about getting a kid with great stats from a lower division school?

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:41 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:59 am

Just curious. How would you guys have felt about getting a kid with great stats from a lower division school?
Seems like I recall a coach, maybe Coach Clark, talk about how they evaluated around 20 QBs (that they thought they had a realistic shot at getting) in the transfer portal and that Chase was the one that was the best fit for our program?
I believe they were looking for not just athleticism but they wanted a veteran player leader to help bring the younger guys along and Chase was the guy that checked all the boxes...

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:42 am

AppSt94 wrote:

What do you think our assesssement of Brice would have been if he had transferred to one of our SBC peers? I just think most outside observers are taking a wait and see attitude based on his one season where he was the starter. I don't think that's an unreasonable take for those folks. I'm not sure what you expect them to do otherwise.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:44 am

Rick83 wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:41 am
AppSt94 wrote:

Seems like I recall a coach, maybe Coach Clark, talk about how they evaluated around 20 QBs (that they thought they had a realistic shot at getting) in the transfer portal and that Chase was the one that was the best fit for our program?
I believe they were looking for not just athleticism but they wanted a veteran player leader to help bring the younger guys along and Chase was the guy that checked all the boxes...
I think that says a lot for Brice and I think there is every reason to have faith that the coacheds have picked the right guy. But, in the end he will be judged by his actual performance on the field in an App uniform.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:02 am

hapapp wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:42 am
AppSt94 wrote:

What do you think our assesssement of Brice would have been if he had transferred to one of our SBC peers? I just think most outside observers are taking a wait and see attitude based on his one season where he was the starter. I don't think that's an unreasonable take for those folks. I'm not sure what you expect them to do otherwise.
I can’t speak for everyone else but I wouldn’t have cared to make an assessment on his game if he wasn’t coming here. I get why some are skeptical and I understand the wait and see approach. That’s all we can do. I just don’t see a reason to be concerned. Yes, his individual statistics last year were atrocious. But, there are a lot of factors that went into those stats that often get overlooked or discounted. They need to be factored in to get an accurate assessment. Mechanically, he is sound. He showed enough fundamental talent to garner a scholarship to one of the best college programs in the country. He was recruited, as a transfer, by arguably the best QB guru in the game. He has talent, and those with eyes for talent, have noticed. So, I am optimistic that CB will be fine. He has a running game this year to keep defenses honest. He has a plethora of receivers that thrive in one on one matchups, and yes, (forgive me Lord for saying this to the masses), he is a better passer than ZT. That is all.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:31 am

Agreeing with 94 - even though his one season at Duke was not what anyone wanted most importantly Duke itself, however I feel I can say with 100% accuracy that he learned a great deal about being a QB spending the year with Coach Cutcliff. As the two articles which follow show - Chase is considered a hero at Clemson - I somewhat relate his standing at Clemson as to how we all feel about Trey Elder. If Trey had transferred from App we would all still consider him an App Hero -

https://theclemsoninsider.com/2020/05/2 ... er-season/
https://theclemsoninsider.com/2020/01/1 ... -champion/
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:33 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:02 am
I can’t speak for everyone else but I wouldn’t have cared to make an assessment on his game if he wasn’t coming here. I get why some are skeptical and I understand the wait and see approach. That’s all we can do. I just don’t see a reason to be concerned. Yes, his individual statistics last year were atrocious. But, there are a lot of factors that went into those stats that often get overlooked or discounted. They need to be factored in to get an accurate assessment. Mechanically, he is sound. He showed enough fundamental talent to garner a scholarship to one of the best college programs in the country. He was recruited, as a transfer, by arguably the best QB guru in the game. He has talent, and those with eyes for talent, have noticed. So, I am optimistic that CB will be fine. He has a running game this year to keep defenses honest. He has a plethora of receivers that thrive in one on one matchups, and yes, (forgive me Lord for saying this to the masses), he is a better passer than ZT. That is all.
To piggyback on one of these points - App rushed for over 100 more yards a game (on 5 more attempts) than Duke last season, and we have a stable of backs coming back. We passed for ~40 less (on 5 fewer attempts). CB will come is as a game manager and will be asked to run the game much in the same way ZT was (and those before him). He’s unlikely to be asked to throw 50 times a game unless teams stack the box in order to stop the run. If that happens, I believe he’s capable of throwing effectively to the plethora of targets he will have on the field. He’s coming into a better situation than he was in at Duke, and I believe it will show.
Give 'em hell!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”