Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

NIL helps CFB competitive balance - Yahoo article

canes_mj
School: Appalachian State

NIL helps CFB competitive balance - Yahoo article

Unread post by canes_mj » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:46 am

Don't know if any of you saw this, but it's a good read. It's a different take on the scenarios usually put forth and I found the different perspective interesting. Hope this whole thing plays out similar to how he says.

https://sports.yahoo.com/the-nil-era-is ... 39626.html

This excerpt is the part of the article addressing mid-majors/G5

"Even so-called mid-major programs can follow that plan. Places such as Boise State or Fresno State are big deals in smaller (but not tiny) communities, allowing them to offer something to recruits that might supersede conference affiliation. The lines will blur.

“It will almost certainly be more profitable for some players to be the big fish in a smaller pond,” Schwarz said. “It’s weighing a risky move [will I become a starter?] at a high-value market [power team] against a certain move [I’m expected to start] at a lower-value market [a less traditionally successful team or smaller conference]."

As we've seen with free agency at the professional level, the chance to win is a big draw, but the chance to maximize earnings often trumps it."

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: NIL helps CFB competitive balance - Yahoo article

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:07 am

The lines won't blur. That conference logo will supersede because they know that league logo will give them a bigger audience and platform for their NIL. I don't see top 200 recruits just turning down P5 offers to now attend the Sun Belt or MWC on a regular basis. This will drain more resources and I believe will hurt the lower levels even more. If you don't have a cushion of resources you will be more cash strapped and could hurt the mid-majors.

I'm all for players earning money off their NIL but we are opening it up for a lot of things that they don't see happening. There should have been a committee put together of former athletes (pros and non pros), current athletes, and HS players along with coaches, ADs, agents, trainers, NFL teams, etc to talk all this through and think of a way that won't open a can of worms. A system that sees a fair benefit without players getting scammed and opening issues that will make a bigger mess than we had before. It is like they said here you can do this and we wash our hands of it but we know that is going to create a mess.

A few questions to ask.

1. Should schools now charge players a fee for the platform they provide that allows players to even benefit off their NIL?

2. Crooks are always going to find loopholes and take advantage early on to scam these players. Have they thought about that?

3. Will this mean avoiding players who spend more time on their NIL than prepping for opponents? We all know that if you suck on the field your NIL has zero value. I hope that players see this as they need to put more time in being a good player and the NIL will take care of itself but it means they need someone to manage it and not steal from them. We know that will be hard to do.

4. Does this open the door for players to have an agent while in college? Will we see holdouts? College players holding out will almost ruin college like some feel has happened in the pros and will many college fans turn to their HS alma mater because it will now be seen as the only pure football?

5. One thing that is not meant as a knock to players but do they realize that we fans are here for our school logo and colors? The names on the jerseys change but the role of App State QB will always be there. You might occupy that role but you can be replaced.

6. Are we opening the door for schools to in the future be able to cut players openly because they are no longer amateurs?

7. Will players be required or strongly encouraged to take finance and money management classes to help them manage their money so they don't make 700k in college and then have 10 bucks left 3 months after their career is over?

8. Uncle Sam will now come calling for his cut. How much tax fraud, evasion, and back taxes owed will pop up because most players don't see this? Many we have had like Doug Middleton, Zac Thomas, etc type players will get this and not be caught up but there are many naive players who will think they can avoid Uncle Sam and they can't.

Schools will truly need to find the right type of kids and avoid kids who spend more time on NIL than actually prepping for the season. These are things to think about and there are more that I just did not have time to post.

With all that said, I think it is insane that a player was stopped from doing an autograph session or having a version of a jersey sold in a store with their name on it and them not being able to make a cut. I just know 18-23 year olds don't know how to manage money and are easily duped so I hope this does not create a wild west of robbing these kids. There are criminals who have been planning for years now on how to openly and legally rob and screw these players over and this is just another issue that schools will have to deal with.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”