Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

ECU website preview of Appalachian

Captain Morgan
School: Appalachian State

ECU website preview of Appalachian

Unread post by Captain Morgan » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:28 am

WHY ECU SHOULD BE OPTIMISTIC ABOUT THE GAME

Appalachian State has proven to be a really, really strong FBS program since making the move in 2014, and given the recent string of success, the Mountaineers will likely be favored against the Pirates on Sept. 2. But that doesn’t mean ECU can’t win the game. With a first-time offensive coordinator, and a quarterback that’s never had consistent success as a starter, there are legitimate questions marks surrounding Appalachian State’s offense. If East Carolina can slow down the running game and make Brice beat the defense through the air, this game can turn on a swivel.

The Mountaineers posted very strong numbers across the board last season statistically, but they also struggled when facing top competition, losing to Marshall (17-7), Coastal Carolina (34-23) and Louisiana (24-21) in games where the talent discrepancy was pretty even. ECU is still in the early phases of its rebuild under Mike Houston, but the Pirates’ overall roster should have as much talent as the majority of the teams in the Sun Belt, if not more. Now that ECU is a much more experienced unit, Appalachian State shouldn’t be able to overwhelm the Pirates physically like many teams it can in the Sun Belt.

https://247sports.com/college/east-caro ... 167498068/

AppSt94

Re: ECU website preview of Appalachian

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:46 am

It was a fair write up.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:30 pm

The question marks surrounding our offense are valid and I see no reason they shouldn't have hope, but the purported talent disparity between an AAC school like ECU and a SBC East team is a bona fide myth. The last three years of out of conference play from the SBC/AAC has shattered this illusion. ECU fans are like South Carolina Fans: their superiority complex is rooted solely in their conference membership and things that happened ten years ago.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:31 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:30 pm
The question marks surrounding our offense are valid and I see no reason they shouldn't have hope, but the purported talent disparity between an AAC school like ECU and a SBC East team is a bona fide myth. The last three years of out of conference play from the SBC/AAC has shattered this illusion. ECU fans are like South Carolina Fans: their superiority complex is rooted solely in their conference membership and things that happened ten years ago.
Their troubles began after they fired Ruffin.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:56 pm

Well, they ain’t playing the majority of the SunBelt. They are playing AppState. “Ice up baby”

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:50 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:56 pm
Well, they ain’t playing the majority of the SunBelt. They are playing AppState. “Ice up baby”
Lol had a similar thought when I read that.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:57 pm

mountaineerman wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:50 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:56 pm
Lol had a similar thought when I read that.
I’ll add this on the hottest day in the the history of Temp taking… as we were walking out some Jake leg ECU fan proceeded to hackle us beyond belief … it’s been in my head since … as I proceeded back to the hotel to put my father down who was comatose… that’s not an exaggeration either. I hope we lay the wood to them. Guy was like 60 also.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:39 am

Gonzo wrote:
I don't doubt this is true, but if it is indeed true, why do so many members of this board want to move to the AAC?
Google SUX

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:37 am

I hate purple. :evil: Write up seems like a fair assessment. Play Jackboyz Defense, win Special Teams and protect the football. No turnovers.
Go get it Apps! 1-0.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

appswin1

Unread post by appswin1 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:55 am

Decent write up. This will be a tough game, but I still think we win this one in the 4th Q and win by 5-6 points.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:04 am

NewApp wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:39 am
Gonzo wrote:
I don't doubt this is true, but if it is indeed true, why do so many members of this board want to move to the AAC?

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:13 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:04 am
NewApp wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:39 am
Gonzo wrote:
Thanks for the song, one of my favorites; that and Dark Side of the Moon. But still, how has more money helped the Pyrites? They still suck worse than before they joined the AAC (poor man's ACC). Yeah, I know the administration excuse. That flies about as well as the Delta Air Line plane with the pilot working from home.
Google SUX

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:17 pm

East Carolina’s decline coincided with the elevation of App State, Old Dominion, Coastal Carolina, Charlotte and Liberty to FBS.

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:29 pm

NewApp wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:31 pm
Gonzo wrote:
Their troubles began after they fired Ruffin.
Egggggg-zactly.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:26 pm

App has to minimize the turnovers, penalties and mental lapses that cost them 3 games last year. Keep those mistakes to a minimum and App will be a tough out for anyone on their schedule.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:50 am

AppGrad78 wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:17 pm
East Carolina’s decline coincided with the elevation of App State, Old Dominion, Coastal Carolina, Charlotte and Liberty to FBS.
Charlie, are you being facetious or serious?
Google SUX

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:56 am

I would assume he is being serious and pointing out the fact that for years ECU was the only FBS G5 in the Carolinas and Virginia so they could get those better recruits that didn't get P5 offers. Now they have to compete with 5 other teams in the area for those same recruits. Not to mention Georgia which added 2 more FBS G5 schools in Southern and State so that is 7 new FBS teams spread over 4 states in the geographical footprint of ECU recruiting. Now ECU has 7 other schools that can offer 85 scholarships each (595 total) to compete with whereas before they were at the top of the heap for those additional 595 kids.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:05 pm

Greenville- not much in surrounding community but Univ.
Old Dominion - near the coast can be an added draw
Coastal Community College - near the coast can be an added draw and party city of MB.
Liberty - riches beyond what a school that size should have
UNCC - more of pro sports town, but potential if university would get more of following
App St - God's country.....lol
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:55 pm

SpeedkingATL wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:26 pm
App has to minimize the turnovers, penalties and mental lapses that cost them 3 games last year. Keep those mistakes to a minimum and App will be a tough out for anyone on their schedule.
Yes need to work on turnovers and mental lapses big time because the penalties have become part of our culture that I just don't see going away.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:39 am

It’s pretty short-sighted to say ECU’s problems came about simply from joining the AAC. The vast majority of the programs currently in the AAC were members of CUSA when ECU won the league back to back in 08 and 09. ECU fell victim to a bad AD hire and subsequent head coach firing and hiring. Every single school in the country will go in the gutter if the same scenario plays out with their football program.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”