Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

What are possible home on home series?

VNova
School: Appalachian State

Re: What are possible home on home series?

Unread post by VNova » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:47 pm

H&H's I'd like to see, regardless of likelihood, based on my selfish desires and the randomness of some match ups:

Marshall (Huntington, WV)
UNLV (Las Vegas)
Wake Forest (Winston-Salem)
ECU (Greenville)
UCF (Orlando)
FAU or FIU (Southern FL)
Miss State (Starkville, MS)
Northwestern (Chicago)
VA Tech (Blacksburg)
Temple (Philadelphia)

I think Wake Forest, VA Tech, ECU, Florida Schools, & Marshall are the closest to real possibilities.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:30 pm

VNova wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:47 pm
H&H's I'd like to see, regardless of likelihood, based on my selfish desires and the randomness of some match ups:

UNLV (Las Vegas)
ECU (Greenville)
UCF (Orlando)
FAU or FIU (Southern FL)
Northwestern (Chicago)
VA Tech (Blacksburg)
Temple (Philadelphia)

I think Wake Forest, VA Tech, ECU, Florida Schools, & Marshall are the closest to real possibilities.
If I may ask, what is appealing about Stark-Vegas for you?

MountaineerMafia

Unread post by MountaineerMafia » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:18 pm

VNova wrote:

UNLV (Las Vegas)
ECU (Greenville)
UCF (Orlando)
FAU or FIU (Southern FL)
Northwestern (Chicago)
VA Tech (Blacksburg)
Temple (Philadelphia)

I'll second the Temple option! My brother went to law school there, has season tickets, and lives about 20 mins from The Linc. The benefit for App would be getting into the Philly market for northern recruits (lots and lots of talent in the Philly area), playing in another NFL stadium, and a quality G5. Also, I really think Temple would take a game with App in a split second. Their OOC schedules for the next few years are very weak and they need to bring some brand name teams in to keep their fans interested.
“I never lie to any man because I don’t fear anyone. The only time you lie is when you are afraid” ~ John Gotti

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:39 pm

I would think the following bus ride G5 Home on Home series could be possible and would also support our recruiting footprint. Not super exciting but, beneficial for both teams.

- Old Dominion
- Middle Tennessee State
- UAB
- Western Kentucky
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

InFor6More

Unread post by InFor6More » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:58 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:39 pm
I would think the following bus ride G5 Home on Home series could be possible and would also support our recruiting footprint. Not super exciting but, beneficial for both teams.

- Old Dominion
- Middle Tennessee State
- UAB
- Western Kentucky
You’re right not super exciting but there is an art to balancing one’s fandom with logical decision making.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:16 pm

I would like to see us add JMU. I don't understand why we want to play such a weak FCS schedule. JMU home and away. Also Liberty Home and away. They will not hurt our strength of schedule. The bottom line if we are going to make the NY6 game we are going to have to knock off the p5 money game and run the table. JMU and Liberty should have solid years and add to our strength of schedule. We may lose to one of them but if we can't beat them we don't deserve a NY6 game.

I think JMU and Liberty would buy a lot of our tickets. We may could work a 2 home for 1 away with both of them.

MountaineerMafia

Unread post by MountaineerMafia » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:58 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:16 pm
I would like to see us add JMU. I don't understand why we want to play such a weak FCS schedule. JMU home and away. Also Liberty Home and away. They will not hurt our strength of schedule. The bottom line if we are going to make the NY6 game we are going to have to knock off the p5 money game and run the table. JMU and Liberty should have solid years and add to our strength of schedule. We may lose to one of them but if we can't beat them we don't deserve a NY6 game.

I think JMU and Liberty would buy a lot of our tickets. We may could work a 2 home for 1 away with both of them.
JMU is an FCS team. We won't play there. Your point on Liberty is valid, but there's really no reason to play JMU given the current landscape of CFB.

When you say 'we are going to have to knock off the P5 money game' do you mean beat them? Or are you saying not to play it by scheduling teams like Liberty and JMU?
“I never lie to any man because I don’t fear anyone. The only time you lie is when you are afraid” ~ John Gotti

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:28 pm

VNova wrote:

UNLV (Las Vegas)
ECU (Greenville)
UCF (Orlando)
FAU or FIU (Southern FL)
Northwestern (Chicago)
VA Tech (Blacksburg)
Temple (Philadelphia)

Given that we've already scheduled H&Hs against three of those teams, I would say you are correct.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:04 am

MountaineerMafia wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:58 pm
spacemonkey wrote:

JMU is an FCS team. We won't play there. Your point on Liberty is valid, but there's really no reason to play JMU given the current landscape of CFB.

When you say 'we are going to have to knock off the P5 money game' do you mean beat them? Or are you saying not to play it by scheduling teams like Liberty and JMU?
Yes..I mean beat the p5 money game to make it to the NY6 game.
I am aware of JMU being FCS but I would like to see us schedule games at home that will bring their own fans (Sell more tickets). I would like to find a way to make our home tickets hard to come by. ECU will do it. Marshall may do it. I think JMU would do it.
Liberty did not bring as many as I thought they would. I was looking at FCS attendance numbers the other day trying to find a team that might bring fans and provide us with another home date. If we could get JMU to give us a 2 for 1, we could have a 7 home game schedule one year. There is no rule that we cant have 2 fcs games. I think if we beat a top 20 p5 and run the table even with 2 fcs games we are in the ny6. As long as the fcs games are quality teams...aka JMU. I think a JMU win would mean more than a UNCC win or an ODU win. The JMU should increase our strength of schedule more than a low end g5 (ODU). Assuming JMU has a good year themselves.

If we continue to settle for bad FCS football teams we should try to get a basketball game out of the deal. (Missouri state, Richmond, Villanova)

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:34 am

spacemonkey wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:04 am
MountaineerMafia wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:

I am aware of JMU being FCS but I would like to see us schedule games at home that will bring their own fans (Sell more tickets). I would like to find a way to make our home tickets hard to come by. ECU will do it. Marshall may do it. I think JMU would do it.
Liberty did not bring as many as I thought they would. I was looking at FCS attendance numbers the other day trying to find a team that might bring fans and provide us with another home date. If we could get JMU to give us a 2 for 1, we could have a 7 home game schedule one year. There is no rule that we cant have 2 fcs games. I think if we beat a top 20 p5 and run the table even with 2 fcs games we are in the ny6. As long as the fcs games are quality teams...aka JMU. I think a JMU win would mean more than a UNCC win or an ODU win. The JMU should increase our strength of schedule more than a low end g5 (ODU). Assuming JMU has a good year themselves.

If we continue to settle for bad FCS football teams we should try to get a basketball game out of the deal. (Missouri state, Richmond, Villanova)

We aren't playing at JMU. Period. If we schedule them, it will be a buy game. And it certainly won't do anything notable for our SoS.

Also, two FCS would be an absolute albatross in terms of seeking a NY6 bid. UNC found this out a few years back when they played two FCS, even though one was JMU the year they went 14-1 and won the national title. They got pilloried for it every week on the CFP rankings show. Of course plenty of the other teams in the hunt for the NY6 played an FCS and a bottom 10 FBS, or two terrible FBS. Didn't matter. In the eyes of national media and CFP selectors, FBS > FCS. They aren't spending a second thinking about whether the FCS you beat is "good."

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:57 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:34 am
spacemonkey wrote:
MountaineerMafia wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:

We aren't playing at JMU. Period. If we schedule them, it will be a buy game. And it certainly won't do anything notable for our SoS.

Also, two FCS would be an absolute albatross in terms of seeking a NY6 bid. UNC found this out a few years back when they played two FCS, even though one was JMU the year they went 14-1 and won the national title. They got pilloried for it every week on the CFP rankings show. Of course plenty of the other teams in the hunt for the NY6 played an FCS and a bottom 10 FBS, or two terrible FBS. Didn't matter. In the eyes of national media and CFP selectors, FBS > FCS. They aren't spending a second thinking about whether the FCS you beat is "good."
There should be two priorities for our FCS scheduling: 1. A team from NC or immediate region (in the case of ETSU), and 2. At least a 99.99% chance for a victory.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

97APP

Unread post by 97APP » Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:45 am

AppinVA wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:57 am
There should be two priorities for our FCS scheduling: 1. A team from NC or immediate region (in the case of ETSU), and 2. At least a 99.99% chance for a victory.
I'd also add Cheap. We're paying them (this is their money game) and that's why you won't see too many top tier FCS teams come to App as they are commanding much more money than we can to pay.
Today I Give My All for Appalachian State

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:07 am

One way to look at this is to look at the number goals and work backwards. Say the goal is to gross $1 million in ticket sales per Home OOC game. If the average ticket price is $50. (That # may be a little soft but easy enough to use), then you need to generate enough excitement to pull in 20k paying customers. So if season ticket sales are hovering around 7k, who can DG call that can bring in the 13k balance among visiting fans, and our own? Add to that, who can DG call that would be open to it?

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:49 am

On the basis of the game itself, I wouldn't mind seeing us play JMU. It would be a decent game. They are probably as good as a upper/mid tier G5 team. From the standpoint of an "anyone, anytime" stand point, I say fine. That said, it really doesn't make sense from the standpoint of either program. If App schedules an FCS game, we are looking for a decent tune up game or a "filler" game at this point. JMU would be competitive, so there would be some risk involved. I actually wouldn't be upset if we scheduled them though. I complained about it when we were FCS so turn about is fair play. App absolutely will not travel to an FCS school. It isn't going to happen.

From the JMU standpoint, they will not schedule a probable away loss for the money that App can afford to pay. They have their own agenda and they're looking to make a splash and cover their sizeable budget. They will schedule a P5 who pays big bucks for their probable loss and fill the rest of their schedule with winnable games.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:38 am

Ditto on JMU home and home isn't going to happen. It is a bad idea based on all the above. Whether a few fans may like the idea or not, bottom line is it doesn't advance the App FBS growth strategy based on the current way top tier college football works today.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:02 am

AppinVA wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:57 am
EastHallApp wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:34 am
spacemonkey wrote:
MountaineerMafia wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:

This guy gets it!

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:26 am

Why schedule a JMU home and home when we could get Lenoir-Rhyne and Catawba home & homes with even shorter trips!!!

Good lord.
YNWA

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:39 am

I have zero interest in playing any FCS games in a season but I would really lose my mind if we scheduled 2 of them in one year. I think we can find other G5 programs to play us instead of relying on a FCS team coming to Boone every year. I know we have a formula for scheduling that we seem to be sticking with, P5 away game, FCS home game and 2 other FBS home games usually as part of home/home arrangements. I am just not a fan of the FCS game and would much prefer another G5 opponent but if we are going to continue with 1 FCS team we should at least play a regional team and it would make most sense to play a team from North Carolina and keep the money in the state.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:24 am

Taking off the App colored glasses, outside of regional G5’s, Who would be motivated to come to Boone for a Home and Home? We all love it, but what is the attraction for opposing coaches and ADs? It is a difficult place to win as the road team. It’s not a recruiting hot bed. Sure Charlotte is close by, but why not just play Charlotte and get the W. I have heard, from some very reliable sources that DG has made calls and has been told, “no thanks.” I don’t know who those ADs were and nor would I expect to be told specifics. I would like to know the reasons given. I would love to be proven wrong if it meant getting some marquee names to The Rock.

ClickClackApp

Unread post by ClickClackApp » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:37 pm

I think there's Sun Belt bylaws that don't allow for a member school to play an FCS away game.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”