Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

NC Legislature vs. NCHSAA

WVAPPeer
School: Other

NC Legislature vs. NCHSAA

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:44 pm

Can someone who still has high school connections or information please fill us in on what this legislation is all about --- thank you
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

appdaze

Re: NC Legislature vs. NCHSAA

Unread post by appdaze » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:22 pm

https://www.highschoolot.com/athletic-d ... /19682815/

One athletic director said, "The NCHSAA should answer for why they have so much money they're not doing anything with," adding they believe taking a PPP loan "looks awful" when you have over $40 million in assets. This athletic director also raised concerns about the NCHSAA's partnership with the NFHS Network, something some lawmakers have addressed. "Their partnership with the NFHS Network is troubling because that network fleeces schools for money by taking a solid chunk of the subscription fees. They went from charging $5,000 for one camera to $2,000 for two cameras, and now they're offering them for free because they will make money off schools in perpetuity; the cameras won't stream anywhere but the NFHS Network."

This athletic director clearly has concerns about the NCHSAA when it comes to financial arrangements, a trend we saw from comments from athletic directors, but the athletic director ended with this: "All that being said, I think that while there are ethical questions in the NCHSAA essentially answering to no one, I don't think having them nested into any state government entity is a good idea. I'd hate to see a state bureaucrat having that kind of power in high school athletics."

"I do believe that the NCHSAA needs to be transparent with finances. However, high school athletics is not something that needs to be governed by elected officials. Athletic Directors and Coaches have spoken to their representative in their area and that is why we have an investigation ongoing."

https://www.highschoolot.com/legislatur ... /19780617/

This one gives some detail on how the commission would work.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/polit ... 01173.html

this one requires a sub which i don't have. Basically the senate is considering getting rid of the NCHSAA and creating a state government controlled governing body because they want the money that the NCHSAA and the NFHS make off of high school sports in NC. Its all about who controls the money. This is going to be a nasty pissing contest where the only winners are those in control and the loser will inevitably be the student-athletes.

NCHSAA has taken care of NC high school sports since 1913. Gotta love greedy politicians.

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:10 pm

I've said it here in SC, I've said it regarding the Olympics, I've said it regarding collegiate athletics so once again louder for those in Raleigh, Columbia, and any other state's legislative body: POLITICS HAS ZERO PLACE IN ANY LEVEL OF SPORTS OR ATHLETICS! Using athletes from any level as political or money-making pawns is absolutely disgusting and ruins the sports involved. I'm still pissed that the US boycotted the Moscow Olympics in 1980.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

Rekdiver
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:32 pm

Of all the things these idiots need to fix….this is waaaaaaaay down the list of broken stuff( And NCHSAA ain’t broken).
For those of you who complain about government overreach….

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:36 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:32 pm
Of all the things these idiots need to fix….this is waaaaaaaay down the list of broken stuff( And NCHSAA ain’t broken).
The NCHSAA membership ought to be asking why there's a $40 million dollar surplus and they're still paying dues, fees, TV and radio rights, etc.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

acp

Unread post by acp » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:17 pm

The N.C. Senate Committee on Education approved the legislation this morning (July 21).

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:35 pm

scatman77 wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:36 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:32 pm
The NCHSAA membership ought to be asking why there's a $40 million dollar surplus and they're still paying dues, fees, TV and radio rights, etc.
It isn’t a 40 million surplus, it is an endowment that has grown that large due to good investing. Most of the money is from NCHSAA take of gate receipts from state playoff games (I agree the percentage is a little high for their efforts in staging the home site games).
Bring Your A Game!

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:43 pm

For some good information go to the nchssaa.org site. They had a media zoom event where some of the issues were discussed. I found the 40-50 minute segment interesting.

This has been going on for several years with the legislation just now being introduced. It appears the major bill sponsor is butt hurt because a school in his district was fined $500 and had to reimburse $18000 in playoff money for using an ineligible foreign student.
Bring Your A Game!

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:47 pm

Another issue is charter schools, they are able to accept students from anywhere in NC. They do not have limited attendance zones as the public schools do. Those of you in Winston and Greensboro area are familiar with this as it relates to athletics.
Bring Your A Game!

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:07 am

This is my very generic signature added to each post.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:16 am

huskie3 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:47 pm
Another issue is charter schools, they are able to accept students from anywhere in NC. They do not have limited attendance zones as the public schools do. Those of you in Winston and Greensboro area are familiar with this as it relates to athletics.
Some independent schools, the few catholic high schools in the state, are part of NCHSAA. There are some rules in place about students home and distance to the school to qualify for NCHSAA membership.

The private schools have there own association. This is a way to avoid issues of home addresses and school locations distances I am sure. Also it gives the independent school a chance to win a title without mixing with the hoi polloi.

The charter schools have a 3rd association. I imagine this is partly to get around some home-school distances and it is also about having yet another chance to grab a state title.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:29 am

Thanks, this provided a better look at the breakdown of the money.

I wish Tucker had not brought up the issues of gender and race being reasons for the questioning. I do believe there are behind the scenes motives and the money just being used to get attention.
Bring Your A Game!

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:51 am

I can't imagine anything good coming out of the backward thinking legislators of NC trying to run high school athletics ---

And thanks to everyone who has posted info regarding my initial question ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:31 pm

The 40 mil was largely in place before Que tucker took over. No one ever inquired about it and nothing has been proven amiss and if fact if you talk the the NC Association of AD's they are against overreach of the legislature. i hope Coop veto's the stupid. Ans as a public school player in the 70's who is involved currently with Charlotte Catholic athletics it would be a shame to see participation that started in 1970 end. And while some of you profess to know the answer i NO they do not recruit. No one recruits skinny white kids. An no there are not any scholarships.

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:50 pm

Tucker is peeved because she is about to be out of a job. A high paying job.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:33 pm

Cro-Magnon App wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:50 pm
I read some years ago how much her position paid, though it was to a predecessor or two before her. I have to admit to being a bit amazed at the salary. I think some bad politics are at play and it may be gender and race involved as well. Still I can't get past the salary.

One could be entering high school as a 13 year old and to see those sorts of salaries given to the adults. Something about it does leave a bad taste in my mouth. The 13 year old may be developing CTE and others are drawing huge salaries.

For people born August to September a college student could be involved in NCAA athletics could be 17 but the vast majority of student-athletes are adults in a legal manner due to be 18 or older. A lot of big salaries there as well but at least it is between adults. And with NIL some of the rough edges are being smoothed at the college level.

I teach at a school without athletics (which is nice to be honest), though some of the students participate in sports at their home school (which is nice for the students.) and my daughters are out of high school (and college) so this does not effect me if the NCHSAA goes to crap. But I have a hard time getting upset, and I am sure some of that is from statements (possibly embellished) from coaches and ADs at former schools.

My wife coaches some at her school and she may tell you I am full of shit and this could be the best of worst thing for HS sports.

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:48 pm

The South Carolina state legislature tried the same thing about 8 years ago. Some senator was mad because Goose Creek was ruled ineligible for the football playoffs because they had played an ineligible player.

Oh2bonh20

Unread post by Oh2bonh20 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:26 am

This actually stems from a politician's beef with NCHSAA. A fight broke out at a game between Anson Co and Richmond Co. Anson was penalized. Politician went to NCHSAA because he didn't want Anson penalized, even though they broke the rule .
His argument is that the Anson players are very disadvantaged anyway. NCHSAA did not change the penalty. And this was passed by gutting a bill initially about autism and quietly sliding this into that bill. I think there are definitely things that need to be addressed in the NCHSAA, but this is not the solution.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:57 am

Oh2bonh20 wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:26 am
This actually stems from a politician's beef with NCHSAA. A fight broke out at a game between Anson Co and Richmond Co. Anson was penalized. Politician went to NCHSAA because he didn't want Anson penalized, even though they broke the rule .
His argument is that the Anson players are very disadvantaged anyway. NCHSAA did not change the penalty. And this was passed by gutting a bill initially about autism and quietly sliding this into that bill. I think there are definitely things that need to be addressed in the NCHSAA, but this is not the solution.
Several politicians with issues against NCHSAA joined in to railroad this. You are correct there are matters and attitudes that need addressed, but this is not the way.
Bring Your A Game!

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:02 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:33 pm
Cro-Magnon App wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:50 pm
I read some years ago how much her position paid, though it was to a predecessor or two before her. I have to admit to being a bit amazed at the salary. I think some bad politics are at play and it may be gender and race involved as well. Still I can't get past the salary.

One could be entering high school as a 13 year old and to see those sorts of salaries given to the adults. Something about it does leave a bad taste in my mouth. The 13 year old may be developing CTE and others are drawing huge salaries.

For people born August to September a college student could be involved in NCAA athletics could be 17 but the vast majority of student-athletes are adults in a legal manner due to be 18 or older. A lot of big salaries there as well but at least it is between adults. And with NIL some of the rough edges are being smoothed at the college level.

I teach at a school without athletics (which is nice to be honest), though some of the students participate in sports at their home school (which is nice for the students.) and my daughters are out of high school (and college) so this does not effect me if the NCHSAA goes to crap. But I have a hard time getting upset, and I am sure some of that is from statements (possibly embellished) from coaches and ADs at former schools.

My wife coaches some at her school and she may tell you I am full of shit and this could be the best of worst thing for HS sports.
So how much is the salary?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”