Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Oklahoma and Texas to SEC???

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: Oklahoma and Texas to SEC???

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:56 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:29 am
citroknight wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:30 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:34 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:26 pm
94 I can't deal with numbers. I waited to my senior year to take freshman algebra because I couldn't graduate without it. I was ecstatic to get a D. So help me out with what you're saying
The ACC doled out roughly $34 million to each of its member institutions. So WVU, or anyone else for that matter would need to generate at least $34 million in revenue to break even and $50 million to raise everyone’s share by a $1 million.
This shows, as many of you know, that for many schools in the P5 they were just at the right place at the right time. Let's say WVU is only worth $20 M. The ACC won't want to add them because that'll bring down the per team payout. Now, there may be another school already in the ACC worth the same or even a little less than WVU. So why are they in and WVU isn't? Well, because that school was in before tv deals mattered. So when they did become a thing, that schools value was baked into the average and that just is what it is. But someone left on the outside like WVU would unfairly have to bring even more value just for not being there at the right time.
I'm afraid both of you are probably correct - however with WVU they would get a team who has a long history with current members - other than Penn St, Pitt, VT, Syracuse and Boston College are their top rivals and that would pick right back up - they also bring established history of quality programs in the two major sports - their fans travel as well, if not better than most current ACC members - they are in the geographical region - they have a perfect travel partner with Pitt - I could go on but convincing our MMB members won't help much :>(
There really isn’t anything about your points to argue with, although some will try. The thing is that we as fans of any school can have our opinion on where our teams of choice go. None of those points mentioned above are relevant to the decision making. Presidents, Chancellors, BoDs, BoGs make the decisions based on factors other than athletics for memberships. Hence why App is unlikely to get an invite to AAC 1.0, or even AAC 2.0.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:33 am

So who do you see as possibilities for the ACC that meet the criteria you feel they are looking for?
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:38 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:33 am
So who do you see as possibilities for the ACC that meet the criteria you feel they are looking for?
Outside Norte Dame, I don’t know who that could be.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:41 am

Cincinnati is likely most attractive to Presidents/Chancellors. $1.5 Billion endowment, high research uni, better academics than Louisville and Clemson and peer to NC State, Va Tech and Pitt.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:46 am

Cincy and UCF are better fits for the ACC long term than those left in the Big12.

Also a move like this hurts whatever the BIG12 and AAC become.

If Big10 takes Kansas and Iowa St the Big 12 becomes Ok St
K st
Baylor
Texas Tech
TCU
WV
Houston
SMU
Memphis
+1

Yikes.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:28 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:46 am
Cincy and UCF are better fits for the ACC long term than those left in the Big12.

Also a move like this hurts whatever the BIG12 and AAC become.

If Big10 takes Kansas and Iowa St the Big 12 becomes Ok St
K st
Baylor
Texas Tech
TCU
WV
Houston
SMU
Memphis
+1

Yikes.
ACC Presidents will never consider UCF as a member.

They should.... Bigger endowment than Clemson, FSU and Louisville and academics on par or better than Louisville and Clemson.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:23 pm

citroknight wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:30 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:34 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:26 pm
94 I can't deal with numbers. I waited to my senior year to take freshman algebra because I couldn't graduate without it. I was ecstatic to get a D. So help me out with what you're saying
The ACC doled out roughly $34 million to each of its member institutions. So WVU, or anyone else for that matter would need to generate at least $34 million in revenue to break even and $50 million to raise everyone’s share by a $1 million.
This shows, as many of you know, that for many schools in the P5 they were just at the right place at the right time. Let's say WVU is only worth $20 M. The ACC won't want to add them because that'll bring down the per team payout. Now, there may be another school already in the ACC worth the same or even a little less than WVU. So why are they in and WVU isn't? Well, because that school was in before tv deals mattered. So when they did become a thing, that schools value was baked into the average and that just is what it is. But someone left on the outside like WVU would unfairly have to bring even more value just for not being there at the right time.
and that is a shame because they would be a really good fit for the "new" ACC. ( To give you perspective I view the NHL as new since they added the 7th team :D )

SayYesToTheRock

Unread post by SayYesToTheRock » Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:32 pm

I would love if this somehow led to App being in a conference with Marshall/ODU/UNC Charlotte/Coastal/GaSouthern.

C-USA has 14 teams though, I'd prefer to keep our conference membership at 10 if possible to maximize OOC games and keep the slices of the pie bigger. Seems like a realignment with them would result in two 12-team conferences.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:30 am

Barstool Sports is reporting this morning that the SEC has had, and continues to have serious conversations with Ohio State, Michigan, Clemson and Florida State.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:01 am

I have seen that report as well, but I have trouble buying it. For one, Ohio State and Michigan already make very close (past year it was more) to the same money that SEC schools make so not sure what the motivation would be. Secondly, there is a voting block in the SEC to not allow another in state school in Florida, Georgia and South Carolina. This block supposedly has the votes to keep any of the following out, Florida State, Clemson, Georgia Tech. Who knows if this is true but it has been "common knowledge" for years down here in Florida.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:08 am

t4pizza wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:01 am
I have seen that report as well, but I have trouble buying it. For one, Ohio State and Michigan already make very close (past year it was more) to the same money that SEC schools make so not sure what the motivation would be. Secondly, there is a voting block in the SEC to not allow another in state school in Florida, Georgia and South Carolina. This block supposedly has the votes to keep any of the following out, Florida State, Clemson, Georgia Tech. Who knows if this is true but it has been "common knowledge" for years down here in Florida.
You are correct. There is an “alliance” among those three schools. The problem is that the alliance is only three votes no which wouldn’t be enough. So they would need one more, say a Texas A&M to give them the fourth. Could we get a quid pro quo?

citroknight
School: UCF

Unread post by citroknight » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:27 am

Joint statement from OU and Texas officially informing the Big 12 that they won't be renewing their media rights with the conference in 2025 when the current deal expires.

NeersBy90

Unread post by NeersBy90 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:19 pm

appst89 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:30 am
Barstool Sports is reporting this morning that the SEC has had, and continues to have serious conversations with Ohio State, Michigan, Clemson and Florida State.
I've heard this from folks close to the ACC as well.

It looks like there's a whole heck of a lot on the line with Notre Dame. If they choose to stay independent... the ACC legitimately could lose Clemson and FSU to the SEC. If that happens, I think Ohio State and Michigan likely join the party. Then the Pac12 better look out for USC and Oregon.

I think their goal is to break away from the NCAA altogether. This is, of course, all anecdotal and me trying to read between the lines but I don't see any logical reason for the SEC to reach out to Michigan and Ohio State if that's not their ultimate end goal.

Call me Henny Penny but "The sky is falling".

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:44 pm

NeersBy90 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:19 pm
appst89 wrote:

It looks like there's a whole heck of a lot on the line with Notre Dame. If they choose to stay independent... the ACC legitimately could lose Clemson and FSU to the SEC. If that happens, I think Ohio State and Michigan likely join the party. Then the Pac12 better look out for USC and Oregon.

I think their goal is to break away from the NCAA altogether. This is, of course, all anecdotal and me trying to read between the lines but I don't see any logical reason for the SEC to reach out to Michigan and Ohio State if that's not their ultimate end goal.

I don’t think you’re off base at all. The SEC is creating a new FBS and doing it their way. They’ll get who they want and make it so financially lucrative that no school who gets an offer can say no. It’s really similar to the Super League that tried to form in European soccer this summer, but this one will actually happen. When all is said and done, college football may look completely different, and may damn near die because of it.
Give 'em hell!

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:49 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:44 pm
NeersBy90 wrote:
appst89 wrote:

I don’t think you’re off base at all. The SEC is creating a new FBS and doing it their way. They’ll get who they want and make it so financially lucrative that no school who gets an offer can say no. It’s really similar to the Super League that tried to form in European soccer this summer, but this one will actually happen. When all is said and done, college football may look completely different, and may damn near die because of it.
I have said for a while now that money will destroy college football.

NeersBy90

Unread post by NeersBy90 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:57 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
NeersBy90 wrote:
appst89 wrote:

I just don't see any other reason for them to have reached out to Michigan or Ohio State. Everyone on Earth hates the NCAA except for the NCAA so...

I've seen a lot about the "Grant of Rights" being 2036 for the ACC so Clemson and FSU would have massive buyouts unless they find a loophole. If this is is even being considered, they must've been made an offer they couldn't refuse.

I also saw on Twitter that if the Big10 takes Iowa State and Kansas, Texas and OU only need 3 of Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU and Ok State to find a landing spot to possibly avoid the $75 million buyout (I don't know if I believe that).

All of this will inevitably be settled in a court room is my guess.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:58 pm

Interesting reads on the very issue, I really don't see much good coming from this especially for schools like App State.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... li=BBnbfcL

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... i=BB15ms5q

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:00 pm

NeersBy90 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:57 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
NeersBy90 wrote:
appst89 wrote:

I just don't see any other reason for them to have reached out to Michigan or Ohio State. Everyone on Earth hates the NCAA except for the NCAA so...

I've seen a lot about the "Grant of Rights" being 2036 for the ACC so Clemson and FSU would have massive buyouts unless they find a loophole. If this is is even being considered, they must've been made an offer they couldn't refuse.

I also saw on Twitter that if the Big10 takes Iowa State and Kansas, Texas and OU only need 3 of Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU and Ok State to find a landing spot to possibly avoid the $75 million buyout (I don't know if I believe that).

All of this will inevitably be settled in a court room is my guess.
Ultimately I do think enough schools from the Big 12 will find a landing spot in some power conference and they will have the votes necessary to terminate the grant of rights and tv contracts and implode the big 12 prior to the 2025 season so they can all get to their new homes quickly.

ShagNC

Unread post by ShagNC » Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:57 pm

It seems this will become a reality- Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC. I've read tons of articles on what this means for the P5s, but does anyone have an idea on what this may mean for App State in the future?
GO! FIGHT! KICK ASS!

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:34 am

At this point it is pure speculation. Hopefully nothing much changes, but if there become 4 super conferences as is expected then they could just make whatever rules they want and may even just have their own division which would essentially be relegation back to FCS (although it wouldn't be called that) for us and the rest of the G5. Nobody knows at this point in time.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”