Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Oklahoma and Texas to SEC???

97APP
School: Appalachian State

Re: Oklahoma and Texas to SEC???

Unread post by 97APP » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:37 am

I said just a little while ago that I don't see this happening, but with all the stuff coming out now (since I've been looking around during lunch). I'm changing my opinion to it looks like it will happen.

Crazy.

I could also see the above from t4pizza happening and then we fully enter the super conference era.
Today I Give My All for Appalachian State

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:58 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:30 am
I really think this Ok/Tx to SEC has a lot of legs. If it happens, no way the other Power conferences do not react. I would be surprised if the G5 is raided (maybe a team or two) simply because history has showed us what happens to conferences that try to replace Power teams with Non Power teams, the Big East was destroyed as a football entity. I see the other Power conferences also trying to get to 16 which means 2 teams for the Big 10 and ACC and 4 for the Pac 12. I could easily see Kansas (bball) and Iowa State going to the Big 10. I could see WVa going to ACC but not sure who else they add as I don't envision Notre Dame joining full time. The Pac 12 will be left with the leftovers unless it moves fast to get more desirable teams. A big question is what happens to playoff expansion now that there is a chance of 4 super conferences? Could be that the powers that be essentially make it those 4 conference champs play each for the National Title because that would essentially be an 8 team playoff if you consider the conference title games as the first round. If something like that happened, it would force Notre Dame to join a conference which would most likely be the ACC, but Big 10 would make a push I am sure. Honestly, there are so many ways this can go. I just hope that we have people thinking about all the scenarios and trying to find other like minded schools that can get on the same page when the effects of this inevitably get to us.
The SEC network proposed a 4 pod system, each with 4 teams. This would allow them to basically pick and choose who represents the conference in a championship game, which could be essentially be called a first round playoff game. The power conferences will do whatever they can to protect the money flow. They will structure it to benefit them and only them.
Give 'em hell!

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:31 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:04 am
WVU to the ACC should have happened earlier and I hope it actually does sometime soon - per BYU, hasn't there been a concern with the larger conferences because they won't participate on Sundays ---
Geography wise it makes a lot of sense. The problem with that move and the reason it probably will not happen is it doesn't bring enough cable boxes.

NeersBy90

Unread post by NeersBy90 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:42 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:40 am
If the AAC is raided and loses 2-3 of their strongest programs, is that conference a desirable landing spot for a Sun Belt program anymore? Sure they have a better TV deal now, but how does that deal look in a couple of years?

I’d say the AAC leadership appears to be head and shoulders above that of the Belt currently.
I think it depends on who they lose. If they lose 2 teams, I think the move would make sense (at least on the surface, finances excluded). I think there are enough brand name programs to make it worth the jump in that scenario.

If they lose 3 teams like Cincy, UCF and Houston, its less enticing for sure but would still be a step up I think from a football standpoint. For example: ECU, Temple, Navy, Tulsa and Tulane are all still more desirable opponents than S. Alabama, Texas State and UL Monroe, Ga State and Troy.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:51 pm

NeersBy90 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:42 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
If the AAC is raided and loses 2-3 of their strongest programs, is that conference a desirable landing spot for a Sun Belt program anymore? Sure they have a better TV deal now, but how does that deal look in a couple of years?

I’d say the AAC leadership appears to be head and shoulders above that of the Belt currently.
I think it depends on who they lose. If they lose 2 teams, I think the move would make sense (at least on the surface, finances excluded). I think there are enough brand name programs to make it worth the jump in that scenario.

If they lose 3 teams like Cincy, UCF and Houston, its less enticing for sure but would still be a step up I think from a football standpoint. For example: ECU, Temple, Navy, Tulsa and Tulane are all still more desirable opponents than S. Alabama, Texas State and UL Monroe, Ga State and Troy.
I agree with Beau. If the TV money goes away if they leave, is it worth it?

NeersBy90

Unread post by NeersBy90 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:03 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:51 pm
NeersBy90 wrote:
BeauFoster wrote:

If the TV money goes away, I don't think it is, especially if the new deal we just signed with ESPN is drastically better than our current deal. I guess my point was, I think the TV deal will be indicative of who stays. There are enough big names and quality football teams that I think they could lose a few schools and the jump may still be worth it.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:40 pm

NeersBy90 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:03 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
NeersBy90 wrote:
BeauFoster wrote:

If the TV money goes away, I don't think it is, especially if the new deal we just signed with ESPN is drastically better than our current deal. I guess my point was, I think the TV deal will be indicative of who stays. There are enough big names and quality football teams that I think they could lose a few schools and the jump may still be worth it.
My only question is who, from the AAC would draw our fans to the rock. I’m not one to answer that as I’ll go see App play anyone. But does a Tulsa, Tulane move the needle anymore than ULM or Texas St?

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:15 pm

No ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:17 pm

WV academics aren't viewed favorably by some, but recent adds have been similar.

SBC would add Marshall and USM proactively.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:02 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:17 pm
WV academics aren't viewed favorably by some, but recent adds have been similar.

That is true and like so much other "general" info about West Virginia not factual - WVU is 34th in US colleges and universities in number of Rhodes Scholars - More than any other ACC schools other than UVA, UNC and Duke ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:20 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:40 pm
NeersBy90 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
NeersBy90 wrote:
BeauFoster wrote:

My only question is who, from the AAC would draw our fans to the rock. I’m not one to answer that as I’ll go see App play anyone. But does a Tulsa, Tulane move the needle anymore than ULM or Texas St?
No

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:22 pm

Saint3333 wrote:

What do academics have to do with it?

NeersBy90

Unread post by NeersBy90 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:44 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:40 pm
NeersBy90 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
NeersBy90 wrote:
BeauFoster wrote:

I think they move the needle a lot more. I feel like anyone that follows G5 football would agree. Tulsa played for an AAC title last year and gave Cincy all they wanted. Tulane has improved and both would be far more competitive games that Texas State and ULM.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:10 pm

bcoach wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:22 pm
Saint3333 wrote:

Quite a bit actually. Big Ten and ACC have used this in the past. And WV has never been viewed as a top tier academic program by those making decisions.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:53 pm

Here is a little respect.

Why doesn't the SEC just go for App St instead?

https://saturdayblitz.com/2021/07/22/se ... klahoma/4/

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:00 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:10 pm
bcoach wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

Quite a bit actually. Big Ten and ACC have used this in the past. And WV has never been viewed as a top tier academic program by those making decisions.
Yes - and that has been one of the bogus reasons used in the past - they also use the bogus tv market crap just like they do with App - of course, they don't take into account the entire state will be watching as well as most all living in other places I will only watch App before watching WV ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:34 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
bcoach wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

Ok I thought that went out the widow when they took on Louisville.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:42 pm

bcoach wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:34 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
bcoach wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

Ok I thought that went out the widow when they took on Louisville.
Yep - that's why it is all BS
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:52 pm

"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:22 pm