Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

If this team took Duke’s place

bigdaddyg
School: Appalachian State

If this team took Duke’s place

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:33 pm

We need a (hopefully) fun and obviously worthless topic- lol. Let’s say that for this season alone we swapped places with Duke- honestly I just grabbed a random Coastal team. How would we fare:

@Charlotte
NC A&T
Northwestern
Kansas
@UNC
Ga Tech
@UVA
@Wake
Pitt
@Va Tech
Louisville- Satt comes home!
Miami

Wow 7 home games! I see a potential 4-0 going to Chapel Hill. Tough game butt probably a loss. Tech at home coin flip- I have zero idea how good they are. Same with UVA. I’ll go 5-2 headed to Wake. That would be an insane conference game. We get it done now 6-2. Cruise past Pitt at home. Possible clunker in Blacksburg- NEVER played there before ever! Now 7-3 with the Louisville game. If we don’t lose our minds with hype we can slug it out. We have the better defense and pull it out late- now 8-3 with the Canes return game to Boone. We control the clock and take a huge upset to go 9-3. Heels probably take the division but we get a legit good bowl game which we win to extend the streak!

BambooRdApp

Re: If this team took Duke’s place

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:43 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:33 pm
We need a (hopefully) fun and obviously worthless topic- lol. Let’s say that for this season alone we swapped places with Duke- honestly I just grabbed a random Coastal team. How would we fare:

@Charlotte
NC A&T
Northwestern
Kansas
@UNC
Ga Tech
@UVA
@Wake
Pitt
@Va Tech
Louisville- Satt comes home!
Miami

Wow 7 home games! I see a potential 4-0 going to Chapel Hill. Tough game butt probably a loss. Tech at home coin flip- I have zero idea how good they are. Same with UVA. I’ll go 5-2 headed to Wake. That would be an insane conference game. We get it done now 6-2. Cruise past Pitt at home. Possible clunker in Blacksburg- NEVER played there before ever! Now 7-3 with the Louisville game. If we don’t lose our minds with hype we can slug it out. We have the better defense and pull it out late- now 8-3 with the Canes return game to Boone. We control the clock and take a huge upset to go 9-3. Heels probably take the division but we get a legit good bowl game which we win to extend the streak!
Northwestern was like first or second in Little Ten West. Hmmm, that one may be difficult. I would say 3-1 heading into Chapel Hill. Heels have has great recruiting classes for them..but big difference is Howell is not a freshman. So 4-2 after that game. With Tech, UVA and Pitt. I say we go 2-1. So we are at 6-3. With the last 3, go 1-2. So are at 7-5. Not too shabby considering we do not get the higher rated stars from a recruiting perspective.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

CoachRob

Unread post by CoachRob » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:48 pm

Northwestern is better than they have been in the past I think, I'd give us the edge but not by much, so 4-0 start is possible. Not sure when the bye weeks are, but playing a full ACC schedule of course would be a slight adjustment from a physical standpoint.
The year we beat UNC by a field goal they went 6-6 with a 3-5 ACC record I believe, Bowl win over Temple. I'm not sure if we are better than our '19 team. Granted, the ACC might not be the same, but looking at 19 as 1 of our better years, we beat a very middle of the road UNC & middle of the road USC team by 1 score.

I'd say 7-5 regular season finish and ending the season with a bowl win in Charlotte over Tennessee.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:14 pm

I would concur with the previous two posts that we go 7-5. It really is interesting to see a schedule like that because I think we could be 7-5 or better now with our Sun Belt recruits, after a few years of ACC recruits it could easily be 9-3 or 10-2. The middle of the P5 really isn't that much better than top G5 and the bottom is worse.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:16 pm

There is a difference in playing these guys one or two times a year and playing them week in and week out.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:22 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:14 pm
I would concur with the previous two posts that we go 7-5. It really is interesting to see a schedule like that because I think we could be 7-5 or better now with our Sun Belt recruits, after a few years of ACC recruits it could easily be 9-3 or 10-2. The middle of the P5 really isn't that much better than top G5 and the bottom is worse.
We might go 7-5 with our own schedule this year? No need to play Duke's.
BLACK SATURDAY

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:27 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:22 pm
t4pizza wrote:
If we go 7-5 with our schedule this year, the wheels will come of the bus and this place will be in full melt down mode. We really do return one of our most experienced team (potentially ever) and should have something to prove to the rest of college football, the Sun Belt title still runs through Boone. I like our chances with our experience and a big old chip on our shoulder.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:28 pm

Honestly I really tend to agree with 7-5 and really only looked at this year in a bubble considering the talent we have returning. It’s a given that to compete on a weekly basis in the ACC we would need a little more depth and meat on the lines in particular. I thought that the schedule was cool to look at especially the home games. Talk about a packed Rock. Like I said I have no idea how good or bad some of those teams will be. Northwestern has really improved but getting them at home might help some. A final game with Miami after a full season could see some depth issues. Obviously no Clemson here and a few of the ACC teams are average. I didn’t want to just handpick a schedule to maybe replace a team with a Syracuse or BC. The Louisville game alone would have been unreal.

And the best part is that Covid is not even a consideration under this scenario!

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:39 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:27 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
If we go 7-5 with our schedule this year, the wheels will come of the bus and this place will be in full melt down mode. We really do return one of our most experienced team (potentially ever) and should have something to prove to the rest of college football, the Sun Belt title still runs through Boone. I like our chances with our experience and a big old chip on our shoulder.
Not predicting or suggesting we do, but we have at least 6 games in which we have a reasonable chance of losing (and that's not counting GaSouthern). The good news is we get Coastal, Marshall, and Ga Southern at home. Miami and UL on the road will be tough and we will no doubt be underdogs in those. I also don't buy the double digit predictions with ECU. We also travel to StAte and GA State but didn't count those in the six. Yes, it would be disastrous if we were to lose 5 games with the talent returning but at least half the games we play will likely decided in the 4th quarter.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:56 pm

BLACK SATURDAY

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:00 pm

hapapp wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:39 pm
t4pizza wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
Not predicting or suggesting we do, but we have at least 6 games in which we have a reasonable chance of losing (and that's not counting GaSouthern). The good news is we get Coastal, Marshall, and Ga Southern at home. Miami and UL on the road will be tough and we will no doubt be underdogs in those. I also don't buy the double digit predictions with ECU. We also travel to StAte and GA State but didn't count those in the six. Yes, it would be disastrous if we were to lose 5 games with the talent returning but at least half the games we play will likely decided in the 4th quarter.
In my opinion, this is a tough schedule as we've had in a long while, all things considering.

APP predicted 9 in the link above in the previous post by the folks that do this for a living.
BLACK SATURDAY

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:32 pm

Almost every team in college football will have their most experienced roster … ever.

Yes, we have a loaded roster. But so does everybody else.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:21 pm

Well can’t say I didn’t try. Attempted a different topic that had zero to do with our schedule or our opponents this year as they currently exist. Purely a hypothetical what if we switched places for just ONE season with Duke who I picked pretty much at random.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:04 am

12-0.

13-0 after winning the ACC Championship.

15-0 after winning the CFP.

Easily.
YNWA

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:32 am

t4pizza wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
i felt the wheels came off last year when we lost 3 :?
BLACK SATURDAY

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”